[Gaming] Elder Scrolls 5 - Dawnguard is HERE!

Crap I just started a stealth thief. I joined the guild and was given my armor... but it has no enchants on it this time. I don't know how to fix it either. Even the console command gives me unenchanted armor.

The artist/writer of Widdershins tweeted recently that her significant other, who works at a school in U.K., has been seeing a behavior problem spreading among the elementary school children. They keep shouting FUS RO DAH! and then shoving each other over.

Best behavior problem I've ever heard.

Well after getting my new character over level 50 I decided the game was getting a bit to easy, so I put it on Master difficult. I then proceeded to get in a fight with an Ancient Dragon that normally is no problem, only for him to obliterate both my Dremora Lord minions and then killed me in one bite attack.

Needless to say I scaled it back down to Expert instead, going to see how it plays out.

Amazing video!

Also find it interesting how many things I noticed now that I have played the game, like that many of the guards were wearing ridiculously accurate Stormcloak gear.

It is the same ad, but it's the music change and adjustment to the pacing that really made it amazing. Before it felt like, well, a commercial. With the changes, it felt a little more like a trailer for an epic movie then a commercial.

GasBandit

Staff member
They slowed down the commercial to half speed and threw the dragonborn/theme cover over it. It does make it pretty damn epic. But my one question is... what the hell was in that bucket that made the fire 100x worse?! Oh, you know those medieval cities, with their wooden open buckets of high test gasoline lying around...

They have lanterns. That means they're using some type of oil for that. Bucket of the stuff. There ya go.

Now would it go up that fast? Who knows. But hey, it's an explanation.

Oh, you know those medieval cities, with their wooden open buckets of high test gasoline lying around...
You must have not played the game all that much, because yes, that's pretty much how it goes. :p

Ever do the Thieves Guild quests? There is a section in an estate where they have a puddle of flammable oil just sitting on the ground, leading right up to a mercenary sitting in a chair. The purpose is to ignite it to kill the merc, but why the hell do they have that oil just sitting there in the first place? The same place also had the oil coating almost every inch of the sewers below it.

That's just one location, you sometimes find similar puddles of highly flammable oil in dungeons, bandit camps, ruins, etc...

GasBandit

Staff member
I've seen puddles of oil, sure... but never a bucket of it. I've finished the thief quest line but I don't remember having to set anybody on fire...

I've seen puddles of oil, sure... but never a bucket of it. I've finished the thief quest line but I don't remember having to set anybody on fire...
Well how do they go spreading around all that oil without something to carry it? :awesome:

The "setting the merc on fire" was optional. You could have just got behind him and just stabbed him to death too. Not as satisfying though as using a quick fire spell on the ground.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well how do they go spreading around all that oil without something to carry it? :awesome:

The "setting the merc on fire" was optional. You could have just got behind him and just stabbed him to death too. Not as satisfying though as using a quick fire spell on the ground.
Most of my enemies suddenly sprout arrowshafts from their eyes... haven't had to actually stab anybody in forever.

Most of my enemies suddenly sprout arrowshafts from their eyes... haven't had to actually stab anybody in forever.
Stabbing gets a lot more fun once you hit 100 Sneak. You are fighting someone, crouch, which drops their "notice" for a split second, and then hit the attack key, leading into the slicing neck animation or the stab through chest animation. My only issue is it makes fighting "humanoids" extremely easy. I admit though, sometimes I do miss having my good bow skill like on my first toon.

My sneak was at 90 until I got sick of waiting, so I went up to High Hrothgar and would sneak attack one of the Greybeards, use Heal Other on him, then sneak attack again. As long as you don't cast offensive magic on them, they won't attack you till you really hurt them. Did that for a few minutes leveling both sneak and restoration. Restoration is getting so high I am close to getting the second mana regen perk.

True story, if you're enchanted to reduce the cost of destruction spells by 100%, it works on weapons enchanted with destruction effects.

So, my sword that's enchanted to do an extra 60 points of fire and ice damage that would normally be out in 90 hits or so lasts for fucking ever in my mage heavy gear.

Good to know, though funny enough the majority of weapons I utilize don't require me to charge them. When I do stealth kills or some combat, I use Mehrune's Razor, which has a constant chance to pull off an insta-kill (works on dragons too, loved killing one in only two slashes). When I am not using the dagger and need something for more general combat, I utilize The Ebony Blade, which is an artifact sword with a never-ending life absorb effect and utilizes my one-handed perks, even though it's a two-hander.

The only issue I had with The Ebony Blade, is that you have to kill people that like you to charge it up to it's full power (something that bothers me, as I can never play a fully evil character), but thankfully I found a cheap way around that since I was already at 100 conjuration when I got it. You just kill one person you did a quest for that does not matter to you, then use Raise Thrall on the person, proceed to kill them again, and it counts towards reaching the swords full power. Raise Thrall is needed for this since the process of raising a Thrall rather then the general raise undead spells is that when the Thrall dies, the body does not disintegrate, allowing you to cast it on them again. Do it ten times and the blade is fully upgraded and you then get a nice sword with a powerful unlimited life absorb.

Continuing on that, Raise Thrall has actually become one of my preferred spells. During the quests to collect the parts for Mehrune's Razor, I ran into a Forsworn fortress that was pretty difficult at expert. My Dremora Lords were getting destroyed by the Briarhearts and Ravagers (the casters that shoot ice at your face and summon frost atronaches), so I instead stayed back and pelted down one of the ravagers, raised the corpse as a Thrall, then used that Ravager to kill another one, raising that one as a second Thrall now that I have the two summon perk. All I can say is those guys were beasts that followed me everywhere and I could reanimate again if one of them died. I finally lost both of them after using them to kill five Ancient Dragons, because they fell behind and got lost somewhere.

Trying to figure out what else to do now, and am thinking of leveling up block and heavy armor and trying a sword and shield combo. I have a Dragon Script mod that allows me to respec my perks now so I can mix it up as I please.