[Gaming] Diablo 3 : Ser Farm-A-Lot

Played some Torchlight last night while Battle.net was down, and I must say I'm glad I only paid $10 for it. As annoying as the login issues are with Diablo III it's still a Blizzard game, and from what I've played it's worth the headaches.

That is interesting, because I remember having to log in all the time when I first played (the first two months after release) and being unable to play it on my laptop while out of the house on a trip once. If they allow playing without logging in now, that might have been patched, and if so I am glad they did.

D3 is a bit of a different beast though, because they would once again have to patch in a method for characters to be saved client side and wouldn't be able to let those characters be utilized in the online systems for things like achievements. It would be way to easy to hack. I know, I used to mess around with hacked offline d2 characters to try out things like the Barb with all the best stats and gear.
It was like that from day one. You just had to log onto your Bnet account once while online and that basically unlocks the game for that computer. If you log in from a different computer, it will then disable any other computers until you log back in through Bnet. It was always like that. I was only ever online when I wanted to play multiplayer.

Which is COMPLETELY feasible for Diablo as well. I really could give two shits about what happened with D2 online because I never played D2 online. I only played coop LAN. So, yeah, to say that I'm not a fan of this persistent online bullshit would be an understatement.

Pro-tip #2: Blizzard was the girl.
It's funny because I got the point originally, I just liked messing with you.

Or did I?

It was like that from day one. You just had to log onto your Bnet account once while online and that basically unlocks the game for that computer. If you log in from a different computer, it will then disable any other computers until you log back in through Bnet. It was always like that. I was only ever online when I wanted to play multiplayer.

Which is COMPLETELY feasible for Diablo as well. I really could give two shits about what happened with D2 online because I never played D2 online. I only played coop LAN. So, yeah, to say that I'm not a fan of this persistent online bullshit would be an understatement.

Very odd, not sure what was going on with me then because it ALWAYS had me log in. I never once had a time it let me through without logging in being required. Maybe it just didn't like authenticating me.

Diablo 3 Single Player IS feasible, I never said it was not. I am only explaining that such a system will require some changes to how they handle the character setup and would once again create a "character split", which from what I remember, they said this was one of the reasons they wanted to go online-only. They didn't like how single player and multiplayer characters were not interchangeable. Though that could just be more smokescreen to the real reasons.

Still haven't gotten my preorder. And with tomorrow an official holiday in Belgium, and the postal service not working on friday (they make it a long weekend, oh so nice), I won't get my PREORDER 'till monday...And monday I start work again. Lovely. #firstworldproblems :p

Dave

Staff member
So I tried to log on after work. Error #7 again. Tried the Firewall thing. Nothing. Yay Diablo III!

Hey, I got to play for 15 minutes before they shut the servers down.

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

That is all... game seems fun, from the whole 20 minutes total I've been able to play.

If it makes you feel better, the servers are down for a rolling restart for the next 15 minutes or so.
Strangely enough, they let me in, let me play for a good 10 - 15 minutes, then disconnected me mid-combat without me ever getting a system message telling me that the server was coming down. I sure am glad I got this game for "free." If I'd paid $60 for it, I'd be fairly annoyed.

Sooo...should I hold on ordering this thing? I read the lore for D 1 and D 2 (told it was enough to understand the story) and figured id buy it. But uhm...yeah.

Playing on US serves as an EU person was a better decision than I thought. Because of the timezone difference, I manage to play for as long as I want until I go to sleep, which is right about when they hit peak hours and the servers go down. :troll:

Dave

Staff member
So you get one of three followers - Templar, Scoundrel and Enchantress. Which do you think is the best and why?

I have a Barbarian and am using the Templar because he can heal me when times get tough. But he doesn't do shit for damage. I've given him good gear and discovered that he does like 7 DPS. I do 100. :confused:

Frankly, I think this will be good for Blizzard. Sometimes they can get a bit cocky, and I think having a good thrashing through memes for a extremely bumpy launch will help them learn a bit for the future. Might even make them rethink the whole "Online-Only" system for the first patches.

So you get one of three followers - Templar, Scoundrel and Enchantress. Which do you think is the best and why?
I am really digging the Enchantress while using my Wizard, mostly because two casters are pretty strong and she helps me control the battlefield. She also has a shield that deflects projectiles, which are pretty much the main thing that gets close to killing me.

I got my own question, how do you guys find yourself playing?

My wizard started out pretty standard, just magic missile and frost beam. I tried out skills as I went and right now I am actually a much more close range focused destroyer. I have Shock Pulse with the explosion rune which works best in the middle of a group, Arcane Orb with damage rune for some ranged AOE, but most of the time I run in, use Diamond Skin, and then Wave of Force right in the middle, pretty much murdering all the smaller demons in one go. Any survivors around I follow up with an Explosive Blast or Shock Pulse.