Ravenpoe = Ravenpoe#1361
ScytheRexx = ScytheRexx#1179
SpecialKO = notmaker#1301
Squidleybits = Squidleybits#1946
Timmus = HappyMao#1713
Wahad = Wahad#2371

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm thinking about it. Looking to see how many people we get before I do though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have it pre-ordered, downloaded, and just waiting for the servers to open up.

I know that makes me a hypocrite as I orginally said I wasn't excited about the game at all.

Turns out I AM actually Blizzard's bitch.

Battletag: Darsiek#1741

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'll probably pre-order this tommorrow then.

My Battle Code will be AshburnerX #1623

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm also 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% sure that Scytherexx will be playing, unless he's already tired of it from the beta.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Jay... remember what happened the last time you posted a thread about a game with the words "anticipation station?"

No anticipation allowed! Hype is the devil! Hoping for a good game is evil!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm also 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% sure that Scytherexx will be playing, unless he's already tired of it from the beta.
Not tired of the game, just tired of fighting the same boss 10000 times and having my characters wiped every few patches. It's in a good enough place I think that I didn't need to write any more game suggestions or bug reports.

Now I got to do all that for the MoP beta.

Frank

Frank

Big fat Ehhh from me.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I got this game as a preorder for Christmas so I will be playing when it's released. I'll post my battlenet ID later as I honestly don't remember what it is at the moment.

Jay... remember what happened the last time you posted a thread about a game with the words "anticipation station?"

No anticipation allowed! Hype is the devil! Hoping for a good game is evil!
Since I already have low expectations I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised with Diablo III whereas Mass Effect 3 deftly killed any replay value in the whole series for me.

Go Diablo!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Alright, pre-order away. Amazon is offering free on-release delivery if you want it on release day.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Open beta this weekend! Get your client and Battletag ready.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1165-open-beta-weekend/

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I know what I'll be doing after class tomorrow.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Setting it up to download tonight so I can jump on and give it a spin after work. Hoping Monk is everything I hope it'll be, I'm kind of tired of the Warrior/Barb classes (and Hellfire Monk was ass).

Terrik

Terrik

I never really played through 1 or 2 so I don't know if its worth it for me to play 3.

Jay

Jay

I had plans to clean the house and the garage.... whelp. I know what I'll be doing.

Necronic

Necronic

My butt is LITERALLY GOING TO EXPLODE

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Downloaded. I'm thinking of going Monk...

Jay

Jay

Let's COOP Ash! When does this start anyways?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

12:01PM PDT, so around 3 PM Eastern.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It has begun. As soon as I'm done with my homework, I'm going home and playing until I have to go to work at midnight.

Wahad

Wahad

Open Beta has opened. Servers crashed immediately. Way to go, Blizz!:rofl:

Gared

Gared

I anticipate the same issue with the Tera open beta this weekend.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also I should point out the beta maxes at level 13, so I doubt you'll get too far in it. I'm gonna play a couple characters super late tonight after the servers (hopefully) open up a bit.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't even log in, it says my username and password are incorrect, but I can log into battlenet just fine.

Bowielee

Bowielee

was the term stress test not clear?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So those of you who haven't played it yet, you're basically going to play Act I of the game, and it's just as good as you're hoping. It's classic Diablo but with stuff to take the monotony of potion spam and the like out. Skills feel useful and interesting, the rune system to give them procs and effects is a fun dynamic and makes it hard to choose what attacks to have at the ready. Health globes aren't super plentiful and potions are on a short-ish cooldown, so you can't just run and gun. You do heal slowly over time, but it's not enough to counter the punishment some mobs (and packs) will put out.

The Monk is my favorite so far, and the barbarian is a lot of fun too. Barb feels a little sluggish at first, but once you get Leap and Cleave things get awesome. My only gripe so far is at least early-game 2-handers feel really underpowered. Hopefully they get nasty further in. It's also kinda weird that Monks can use swords/axes/daggers, as opposed to just blunt weapons and fist weapons.

Jay

Jay

Ash and I played it in COOP, just finished it.

It's fuun.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Shaolin Monks often train in weapon styles involving swords, spears, axes, and other weird stuff. It's really not that uncommon.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Shaolin Monks often train in weapon styles involving swords, spears, axes, and other weird stuff. It's really not that uncommon.
I mean, the Monk is a total powerhouse, so I'm not really complaining. Just doesn't fit the usual fantasy setting Monk, I suppose. Not a big deal.

Playing through as a Wizard now, it's a pain early on as always, but I could see them being as brutal as the D2 Sorc eventually.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, this is the pits, I will apparently be missing out on the open beta entirely, unless I can log in from my laptop on sunday. Reading the boards, the issue of your username and password not being recognized as correct, even when it is, has been going on for a few months now, and Blizzard has basically said "HERPDEDERP, you must be typing wrong". Even though users can log in from some computers, but not others.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Wont let me download.crashes as soon as i get to setup launcher.

Wahad

Wahad

was the term stress test not clear?
Oh, very. I was just amusing myself with the rage of millions of nerds saying "It's one minute past launchtime, beta isn't playing, wtf BLIZZ????" Eventually got in myself, played as Witch Doctor till level 7 with a friend. Pretty smooth, except for a bit of lag here and there. Gonna play some more tonight to see other classes.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I really love the sense of entitlement with the stress test. While looking for possible solutions to my log on problems, I had to mire through countless posts of people complaining and acting like they've actually paid for the game.

It's like, dude, you're playing for free.

On the plus side, regarding not being able to log on, I don't feel like I missed anything while I was finishing up my homework for the week.

Wahad

Wahad

The Monk is my favorite so far, and the barbarian is a lot of fun too. Barb feels a little sluggish at first, but once you get Leap and Cleave things get awesome. My only gripe so far is at least early-game 2-handers feel really underpowered. Hopefully they get nasty further in. It's also kinda weird that Monks can use swords/axes/daggers, as opposed to just blunt weapons and fist weapons.
Just finished a Barbarian run-through where I first got a two-handed winter axe and soon after a two-handed lightning sword. I don't know what you mean by underpowered, man. Everything just went flying out the window and/or exploded.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

To be fair, I already put in my pre-order of the game a few weeks back. I HAVE paid money for this game, so I'm going to bitch all I like! ;)

That being said, I really liked it. Everything is MUCH simpler than the clusterfuck that was Diablo II's skill system. It's kind of like D&D 4th Edition done right: You get the same skills as everyone else, but you can't use them all at once and you can modify them if you wish. More to the point, all the skills are worth using. It's a brand new world. Only tried Monk and witch Doctor so far, but I can't wait to try the others.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Just finished a Barbarian run-through where I first got a two-handed winter axe and soon after a two-handed lightning sword. I don't know what you mean by underpowered, man. Everything just went flying out the window and/or exploded.
Guess it was just bad luck on my part. Doesn't help I got a yellow sickle off the Act I boss, either, I suppose.

Gared

Gared

Guess it was just bad luck on my part. Doesn't help I got a yellow sickle off the Act I boss, either, I suppose.
Heh. I got yellow pants, which were worse than my normal pants, so I wound up breaking them down for salvage.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Crafting looks like it's gonna be OP in this.

Jay

Jay

I'm unsure, since we're still in Act 1.... most of the drops has been shitty... at least in my play through last night

ffs battle.net is still down.... ah memories.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Crafting looks like it's gonna be OP in this.
Yeah, I got the smith halfway through level 2 so far and the stuff he makes is ridiculous. I mean, you do run the risk of getting items you don't want (got an int item on the Monk, for example) but the stuff my characters can use is stupid good.

Dave

Dave

Won't even load on my system. Downloaded the beta client and that's as far as it goes. Oh well.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Won't even load on my system. Downloaded the beta client and that's as far as it goes. Oh well.
Friend had this issue, said it was related to not updating Windows to the newest Service Pack. If that's not it, I dunno.

Jay

Jay

Geez, I know it's beta stress weekend and all but they've been having a shitload of problems keeping their servers up. LOL

Gared

Gared

I'm just going through trying all of the classes. Made it to Witch Doctor so far (started at the top with Barbarian). So far I don't have any one class that's definitely my favorite, and I haven't come across any class that I hate. I may actually have trouble choosing which class to play this time, which is a good thing.

Battletag: Tomarus#1323

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've even enjoyed Wizard so far (level 8) and I've never liked the Diablo casters much. Will have to see how I enjoy WD.

tegid

tegid

How are you even able to log in?? :Leyla:
There must be some sort of priority system into the overloaded servers, because I've gotten error 37 over 50 times now, or maybe everyone's getting it as much as me. I guess I'll try to play first thing tomorrow morning when y'all are asleep :D

Jay

Jay

Haven't been able to play today at all. *shrug*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Haven't played today, I just put a block of hours into it last night. Apparently the servers have been down and messed up most of the day today.

tegid

tegid

:okay:

Jay

Jay

Diablo 37

Wahad

Wahad

I was able to get in today, but after maybe...45 minutes of playtime, we got kicked out. Ever since, 37.

So far I've played Witch Doctor, Barbarian and Demon Hunter. My Barb impressions are on the last page. Witch Doctor is fun, but takes a while to beat down large groups of monsters. Demon Hunter felt sluggish as crap until I got Rapid Fire. Pew Pew!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I guess I'll just play Torchlight, I guess.

tegid

tegid

I... I think I got in. Just when I was about to go to sleep. Dammit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was able to get in today, but after maybe...45 minutes of playtime, we got kicked out. Ever since, 37.

So far I've played Witch Doctor, Barbarian and Demon Hunter. My Barb impressions are on the last page. Witch Doctor is fun, but takes a while to beat down large groups of monsters. Demon Hunter felt sluggish as crap until I got Rapid Fire. Pew Pew!
Fighting large groups of monsters as a WD is as simply as using Firebats. They don't really say this, but you can hold down the button to use it like a flamethrower.

Gared

Gared

Finally got back in and attempted a playthrough as a Wizard, but the system was just lagging too badly. I'm not so concerned with that during the open beta, when they're specifically stress testing the servers, I'll try again later.

Jay

Jay

BNET Tag : SeriousJay

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh right.

Potatofamine#1633 if you're so inclined.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also holy balls, the WD is OP so far. Spiders everywhere, no limit to how many spawn, and then Zombie Dogs on top of that, plus a snare. I feel like there needs to be a limiter on the number of spiders that increases as you level, like two urns' worth per level or something to a cap at some point.

Dave

Dave

Aaaaaaaaand I still can't play.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Me neither. I'll try copying the installer files to my laptop in the morning and see if I can get a few hours in before it ends.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As of right now the servers are down for some issue with creating games, and the update is coming in about 45 minutes. So if you have it fully installed it's not you, it's Blizz.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I had this problem since the opening of the open beta. It's a known issue where for some people, even if you are putting your battlenet username and password in correctly, it is saying that they are incorrect.

Reports say that it will work on some computers but not others, so that's why I'll try my laptop.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also holy balls, the WD is OP so far. Spiders everywhere, no limit to how many spawn, and then Zombie Dogs on top of that, plus a snare. I feel like there needs to be a limiter on the number of spiders that increases as you level, like two urns' worth per level or something to a cap at some point.
The Spiders despawn after a few seconds, so it already has a hard cap.

BNET Tag : SeriousJay
It's SeriousJay#1762. They need the whole thing or they can't add you.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I noticed after a little more playtime that they don't last long at all, which makes sense. Setting bats on fire to make a flamethrower makes up for it, though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I was able to log on just fine on my laptop. Actually got to play a very little bit before the servers went wonky.

Wahad

Wahad

Played some wizard, and I didn't really like it. Arcane Orb/Ray of Frost were cool, but I found both Magic Missile and Shock Pulse wanting - shock pulse is too short-ranged, but magic missile has no AoE when you're getting mobbed like with the pillar-room just before the Skeleton King. I'll stick with WD/Barb for launch.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I played through as the WD. Enjoyed it.

Is there a way to quickswap your mouse click abilities? I would have really have liked to switch between bats and that AOE slow on the fly.

Wahad

Wahad

There's not. You can switch abilities whenever you like, but it triggers a 10s cooldown. To prevent cooldown abuse, I guess.

Jay

Jay

I do think 10 seconds is kinda ridiculous.

I'm sure that once we got more quick toggle abilities, it'll be more interesting.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I've even enjoyed Wizard so far (level 8) and I've never liked the Diablo casters much.
Yeah, the Wizard wasn't very good at range with the skills in the beta, at least the ones under lvl 10, he'd run out of juice too fast, so you can't spam the good ranged attacks, so i've been using the Spectral Blade and the Shock stuff (short range Charged Bolt is so weird) to kill stuff fast... very different feel compared to the sorceress/er.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Went Barbarian this time... I went sword and board with Brunhilda (I'd like to say that I like the fact that she was a big, thick death machine instead of the waifu warrior princess like other companies would have gone with). You do start out slow, but once you get Cleave and Rend it really hits it's stride (especially with the explosion causing rune for Cleave). Jump felt weak and buggy, while the ground pound stun was useful. Spear was invaluable for hitting those runners. Really, it feels like Barbs are going to be AOE weedwackers while Monks are DPS for bosses.

All in all, Barb was a lot of fun. Real simple to play.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Teh Jump is more of a mobility skill... i like that you can use it to cross small chasms and jump up without using the stairs...

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, am I not understanding weapons correctly? Because the main attacks are completely weapon independent, is the only real effect of the weapon the DPS and any enchantments on it?
Basically, Equipping a bow is no different than equipping a two handed sword... that just seems so out of place to me.

tegid

tegid

Well, some attacks can only be used with a certain type of weapon. Besides this, yes, it's really weird.

Wahad

Wahad

Well, some attacks can only be used with a certain type of weapon. Besides this, yes, it's really weird.
I think it's kind of fun, actually. My wizard didn't care for wands. He wields a giant double-handed axe of death and destruction!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, for the record. the Jar of Spiders attack for the WD is probably the dumbest weapon ever. It kind of looks really silly throwing infinite numbers of jars full of giant spiders.

(Of course I say this thinking that flaming bats flying out of his hands looks just fine :p )

ChickenArise.png

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What, you don't like the Heavy Metal Bats?

Bowielee

Bowielee

No, I said I like the bats. For some reason I just think it looks stupid when he's throwing this steady stream of pots.

Necronic

Necronic

I buckled and purchased the pre-release yesterday morning. It took 12 hours to download :(, so I didn't even get to play it on the Beta weekend. Is there any news about them doing another Beta weekend?

Dave

Dave

I never got to play the beta because the damned thing wouldn't load on my system. Seems that it was a pretty wide-spread issue. I just hope I'll be able to play it when it comes out for real.

R

Raemon777

This is the first time I've really viscerally felt how annoying the "everyone must be logged in at all times" thing is.

I get that it's a stress test, and it's supposed to be laggy. But realizing that my regular single player game, in my apartment, with a fairly solid internet connection, could still get laggy all the time... may have finally pushed me to not buy the game.

On the other hand...

Played a wizard, and OMG I like lazer beams.

Covar

Covar

So is there any advantage to pre-ordering the game? Because it comes out on payday and with digital download I won't have to go to a store or wait for shipping.

Jay

Jay

My favored classes are the Demon Hunter and Wizard.

Adam

Adammon

Played this weekend.

Comments:

1) Weapons are useless. No reason to use your bow/axe/sword other than the stats provided to your 'special skills', which are all you use. Especially difficult to even map your autoattack without giving up something else. Not such a problem because your special skill sauce refills so quickly but removes a significant portion of the allure of getting and using new weapons. Sometimes my Wizard doesn't want to be lazer beaming constantly, or maybe my barbarian wants to stay back from a giant poison cloud and just fire arrows at his target. Much preferred Diablo 2's weapon swap system.

2) Online required to play single player. Glad to see some are coming around to how annoying this is. Stupid decision on Activision's part.

3) Characters are 'different', but much of their styles are the same. Compare and contrast Demon Hunter to Wizard. Ditto to Barbarian and Monk. I didn't play enough Witch Doctor to get a feel for it. Hopefully that's just the first 13 levels and as they get higher level, it branches out more.

4) Skill UI is horribad, especially turning on elective mode. Doesn't even begin to resemble something that makes sense.

5) Music is nostalgic. Loved hearing a newer version of the Tristram theme.

6) Who put crafting (or at least the red-headed bastard child of) in my Diablo?

7) Kept trying to zoom in and out on my character. Remembered it was Diablo.

8) Colours are pretty!

Wahad

Wahad

7) Kept trying to zoom in and out on my character. Remembered it was Diablo.
Shoulda pressed Z.

Adam

Adam

Shoulda pressed Z.
Oh for crying out loud. What's wrong with using my scroll button? *grumble*

Gared

Gared

I managed to get through all of the classes, at least long enough to figure out the basic mechanics of the class, and whether or not the class was going to be something that was fun for me to play. So far I definitely like the Barbarian, the Demon Hunter, and the Monk. The Witch Doctor is interesting, but I don't know if his interesting-ness is going to be enough to make me want to continue to play through the entire campaign, or if it'll just get campy. I didn't like the Wizard at all, which is kinda odd because I usually love mage-type characters.

A few things do annoy me though, especially the whole weapon type doesn't matter thing. It didn't really click until I was playing the wizard and I was running around with a hand axe and a shield, which just seems so wrong to me. Clerics should be allowed to use shields and maces, as well as staves, but wizards ought to be limited to staves and daggers and possibly a wand as an off hand weapon (or at least, that's what my 21 odd years of playing Might and Magic have taught me). Also, the idea of crafting is a little bizarre, but it does give me something to do with the random magic items that are meaningless for my class, and I like the fact that (at least up to level 2 blacksmithing) they've left the enchantments random. Sure, you can keep breaking down crafted items if you're playing a Barb and crafted a helmet with +8 int and +2 yard radius of gold pickup, but you only get 1 essence from breaking it back down. My only big concern with crafting is the "stash" mechanics. At least in beta, items I put in my stash on my first character, a male Barb who topped out at level 9, were in the chest when I logged in on my sixth character, a female Barb that topped out at level 10. They were the yellow fangs that you sometimes get from salvaging rare items. I don't think he had any of the normal blue essences in the chest, but if you can pass enchanting items back and forth like that, you can really OP a character on your second pass through. Of course, in single player play, the only person you really cheat by doing that is yourself, but I'm not sure how it would play out in multiplayer play, or if it would have any sort of impact on that real-world money auction house, or even if it's going to carry over into post-launch play.

Necronic

Necronic

The way they managed that weapon issue in the previous games was to make the bonuses given to a weapon linked to the type of weapon used. So, while you would occasionally find a stave that had a strength bonus or a sword with an int/mana bonus, it was unlikely and probably underpowered.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The only reason I can see specific weapon types coming into play is them reusing the class-specific bonuses on certain weapons like in D2 LoD (sickles for Barbs, wands for Wizards, etc). Crafting items, at least in the beta area, are crazy OP over the stuff you find if they have the right stat on it.

I thought WD was kind of interesting but I felt too much of the D2 Necro, who I didn't really like playing. So far I'm torn between Monk and Barb, leaning more to Monk.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I guess I am going to be one of the few that loved Wizard.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I didn't get to play that class enough. What I played I liked. Ice beam is sweet as hell. I actually followed that class in the development cycle and they're supposed to get some wicked time twisting abilities at higher tiers.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I guess I am going to be one of the few that loved Wizard.
She gets a lot better at higher levels as you can use more ranged spells that don't consume your energy in 3 casts...

Like i said, he was fun with the short range stuff, but that's not the archetype, but an alt build...

That being sad, anyone else wish the Ray of Frost and Disintegrate didn't have the same beam animation... Ray of Frost would have looked better as a spray that goes to the border of the screen...

Necronic

Necronic

Hopefully they will balance the crafting down. Honestly weapon/armor crafting shouldn't exist in games where weapons/gear are persistent, unless it is superemely well balanced. And tbh I've never seen a game that was able to hit that balance.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I like the crafting system, yes it makes powerful stuff, but it should, since you have to break down dozens of items to get the materials to make the stuff. It will likely not scale as well later on in higher difficulties, and likely will never be as good as a decent unique or legendary.

Adam

Adam

ScytheRexx likes Blizzard decision. News at 11!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I managed to get through all of the classes, at least long enough to figure out the basic mechanics of the class, and whether or not the class was going to be something that was fun for me to play. So far I definitely like the Barbarian, the Demon Hunter, and the Monk. The Witch Doctor is interesting, but I don't know if his interesting-ness is going to be enough to make me want to continue to play through the entire campaign, or if it'll just get campy. I didn't like the Wizard at all, which is kinda odd because I usually love mage-type characters.

A few things do annoy me though, especially the whole weapon type doesn't matter thing. It didn't really click until I was playing the wizard and I was running around with a hand axe and a shield, which just seems so wrong to me. Clerics should be allowed to use shields and maces, as well as staves, but wizards ought to be limited to staves and daggers and possibly a wand as an off hand weapon (or at least, that's what my 21 odd years of playing Might and Magic have taught me). Also, the idea of crafting is a little bizarre, but it does give me something to do with the random magic items that are meaningless for my class, and I like the fact that (at least up to level 2 blacksmithing) they've left the enchantments random. Sure, you can keep breaking down crafted items if you're playing a Barb and crafted a helmet with +8 int and +2 yard radius of gold pickup, but you only get 1 essence from breaking it back down. My only big concern with crafting is the "stash" mechanics. At least in beta, items I put in my stash on my first character, a male Barb who topped out at level 9, were in the chest when I logged in on my sixth character, a female Barb that topped out at level 10. They were the yellow fangs that you sometimes get from salvaging rare items. I don't think he had any of the normal blue essences in the chest, but if you can pass enchanting items back and forth like that, you can really OP a character on your second pass through. Of course, in single player play, the only person you really cheat by doing that is yourself, but I'm not sure how it would play out in multiplayer play, or if it would have any sort of impact on that real-world money auction house, or even if it's going to carry over into post-launch play.
Man, have you never played Diablo before? Tricking out your alts is like 80% of the game.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx likes Blizzard decision. News at 11!
Hey, I hated most of Cataclysm, I am not as bad as some people think.

I just think the crafting system works well, and I like the account-based nature of it. I actually wish Blizzard would use it in WoW for Secondary Skills.

Gared

Gared

Man, have you never played Diablo before? Tricking out your alts is like 80% of the game.
Yeah, I have. And I've loved them. I just actually enjoy having to work for my accomplishments, even on alts, instead of working my way through content once and then being able to waltz through like I own the friggin' place after that.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yeah, I have. And I've loved them. I just actually enjoy having to work for my accomplishments, even on alts, instead of working my way through content once and then being able to waltz through like I own the friggin' place after that.
I am the opposite.

I love moving some super-amazing items down from my higher level character and then becoming a demi-god. I always thought that was part of the charm.

Blizzard seems to want to move with that, as both the crafters and the stash are account based.

Adam

Adam

Hey, I hated most of Cataclysm, I am not as bad as some people think.

I just think the crafting system works well, and I like the account-based nature of it. I actually wish Blizzard would use it in WoW for Secondary Skills.
I CALL SHENANIGANS!!! https://www.halforums.com/threads/blizzards-titan-mmo-halo-online.24593/#post-798439

That whole thread is you defending Cataclysm against my trollish powers.

Gared

Gared

I am the opposite.

I love moving some super-amazing items down from my higher level character and then becoming a demi-god. I always thought that was part of the charm.

Blizzard seems to want to move with that, as both the crafters and the stash are account based.
I will continue to prefer to work for my gear, but I do like that Blizzard chose to make the crafters and the stash account based. That gives people, like you, who prefer to make their alts into demi-gods the ability to do so, and I can just ignore the damn thing if I want to.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

That whole thread is you defending Cataclysm against my trollish powers.
Pointing out you were scewing facts and overall just ranting is not really a defense for the expansion itself, just a counter to your silliness. Like I said in that thread...

All I ask is that you look at it fairly and don't make claims in which you don't have experience, like the arguement about leveling being "gimped".
That is a defense of common sense, not of the game itself.

In the end, like I said above, I hated most of Cataclysm, but not all of it. I thought they did the overall leveling right, it was other issues like quest flow, guild leveling, difficulty, etc... that caused the game to suffer and caused 2 million other people like me to leave. I didn't because I like PVPing with my wife on the weekend.

Might want to read this.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/the-state-of-the-game-and-the-guild.25353/

Adam

Adam

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Oh I posted the same thing in that thread ;)
Still, should show you I am not all rainbows about everything they do. They just earned a lot of trust with me, but I will call out stupid shit too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Got to play for about 6hrs, ran Wizard and Demon Hunter complete and a few levels of Witch Doctor.

The Wizbeam is lots of fun. The Demon Hunter's rapid fire skill is stupidly entertaining, especially when you are dual-wielding one-handed crossbows which have weapon speed enchantments on them (or poison. Poison was fun, too). I didn't get enough time with the Witch Doctor to get any idea one way or another.

--Patrick

Wahad

Wahad

Armor sets!

Also see this video for a more detailed look at all the sets.

Jay

Jay

Going top update main post with Battletag names. Kindly confirm yours.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Going top update main post with Battletag names. Kindly confirm yours.
It's still AshburnerX#1623.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Battletag: Darsiek#1741

Wahad

Wahad

Wahad#1362

Covar

Covar

crcovar#1106

Bowielee

Bowielee

The best thing about the release of D3 is that it happens on my very last day of finals, so I can play the HELL out of that game.

pun somewhat intended.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I will give my battle tag when I get home.

PatrThom

PatrThom

ArmorChart/Vid
Why is the Demon Hunter the only class where the female character gets high heels? Did they think she would feel inadequate due to her short stature or something?

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh my God the armor sets are badass. That Monk gear, yessssssss.

Wahad

Wahad

Why is the Demon Hunter the only class where the female character gets high heels? Did they think she would feel inadequate due to her short stature or something?

--Patrick
The Barbarian's feet are too big for them, the monk and witch doctor have awkward postures for heels. The only other candidate is the wizard, really, and she seems to prefer regular thigh-highs. Maybe they wanted to go for a Bayonetta thing where she can bind crossbows to her heels?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I figured it would run counter to the Monk and Barbarian character design, and was not surprised to see them absent for the Witch Doctor, but I admit I was kinda surprised when I didn't see them on the Sorceress. I just wonder if it was a deliberate decision to leave them off the Sorc, which then leads to me asking why they kept them on the DH. After all, from a practical standpoint, it would probably be easier to model the character without them.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's likely only one or two polys for those heels, so it's not a huge deal I figure. Blizzard does some of the most amazing texture work I've ever seen, which lets them keep the polygon count on pretty much everything in their games to a pretty low number. From a design standpoint, it's pretty awe-inspiring.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ohhh why is this still two weeks away, after the day I've had I really could use some monster skulls to crack open.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Armor sets!

So who is it that they hired after 2001 that has the shoulder pad fetish, anyone know?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

A previous employee of Games "ALL PAULDRONS, ALL THE TIME" Workshop?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Compared to that last monk one GW is positively restrained...

Wahad

Wahad

Blizzard art (and story, for that matter) has always been cheesy in one form or another. Doesn't make it any less fun, though.

Jay

Jay

Do we have your Battletag yet? If not, why are you sucking?

@Li3n

@Li3n

if you look at the concept art for warcraft 1 it has always been there.
There's a difference between big pauldrons, like most fantasy art uses for some reason and the increasingly bizarre ones Blizz is using...

I mean the last two monk ones have more metal as part of one pauldron then as part of the rest of the armour...

PatrThom

PatrThom

If that's what made it into the game, you hafta wonder what the original concept art looked like.

--Patrick

Wahad

Wahad

8 more days guys! In the meantime, here's some experimental builds I made. Feel free to criticize or retort with your own builds!

- Barbarian: Lots of Fury generators to get up to max as fast as possible to support Berserker Rage, then use Wrath of the Berserker and continue to raise fury to extend it as long as possible for maximum murdertrain goodness.

- Witch Doctor: Mana-returning Spiders, Locusts and Sacrifice should hopefully support the Pierce the Veil increase, while Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medicine key off all the summoned creatures to make sure the threats aren't as threatening.

- Demon Hunter: Slow as many enemies as possible, then use Marked for Death and Rain of Vengeance to deal huge damage. Ideally, you'd use it with a bow to get the Archery increased damage, too.

- Wizard: Mister Freeze! Use Frost Nova, then blast them with the Hydra, Blizzard and Ray of Frost for huge damage. Make ice puns while you're at it. When you run out of Arcane power, use Magic Missile to quickly get back up to full and start from the top.

-Monk: Tank-ish monk. Start out with Mantra of Evasion and Mystic Ally, spend lots of Tailkicks and Dashing Strikes to trigger Transcendence, use Serenity when you're in trouble. This is probably the build I'm least confident in, as I can't get a good grip on Monk synergy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

From what I played with Monk, I feel like Tail kick won't be as useful once you get your hands on a nasty weapon or two, at least compared to using a Spirit generator like Crippling Wave as your AoE. Also, the knockback gets to be a bit of a pain in the ass when you're really ripping into a group. I think I'd try something like this instead: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WeYVjQ!gcZ!cbcZYY as a sort of support DPS. I'd probably swap things around a bit for soloing, but Monk feels to me like a really solid support/heal class and I'd likely play him as such, as opposed to a tank.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Of the two classes I got to play, the Demon Hunter looks like it would be the first one I would try.
I settled on this build, which looks like it will generate just enough AoE to be painful, while choosing 'reaper' skills to replenish resources as well as some fire-and-forget abilities to take care of people through the door/around the corner/on a different level.

The Monk looks like it might be my secondary, and this build tries to be an 'active tank,' stacking a number of things which make a Monk difficult to kill (resistance, healing) along with skills which keep Spirit replenished.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

One thing I did notice with Monk is it's easy to burn up your Spirit without even noticing. I tried to take some passive regen and/or cost reduction without sacrificing too much in terms of good passives (I'm not sure if the 100 Spirit addition is worth it or not, will have to see how it plays with/without come live).

PatrThom

PatrThom

On top of all that, all bets will be off depending on what sorts of effects gear will have on these equations.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also true, there's a chance that Monk-specific weapons/armor could improve Spirit regen or reduce consumption. Can't wait to find out!

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'll just leave this here:

Wahad

Wahad

I really, really dig how the angels in Diablo look.

Bowielee

Bowielee

GOD DAMN IT. I hate when releases are so close you can taste it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh. Huge Diablo-nut, played both I and II too many times to count (I leveled 6 of 7 characters to level 95+ in single player in DII. That takes...Time. Believe me. But screw the assassin, I hated her mechanics), and III still hasn't got me quite as excited. The always-online means I won't be able to paly it for about 60% of my gaming time, so that's a bit of a downer, too. Raged about it enough all over, oh well.
We'll see. I'll probably be playing Wizard and Barb, mostly. Don't know my handle for the moment.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The Assassin was my favorite class in D2.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Assassin was my favorite class in D2.
Same here. That's probably exactly why the DH or Monk would be the first I'd play (with the other being second).

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

A few more dodos......

Is your battletag in my first post people? Check, if not.... fix it!

Wahad

Wahad

With four more days to go, the official strategy guide that comes with the CE has hit the internet. Noteworthy things:

- The Final Boss has 19.3 million hp on Hell difficulty, and a whopping 76.5 million on Inferno.
- There's achievements for doing certain things while not wearing any items, as well as clearing acts in <1 hour.

I'm excited guys! If you don't care about spoilers, go here to view everything, including Legendary & Set items, Item and Monster affixes, and a complete list of achievements.

Gared

Gared

Damnit, I really wish Blizzard would give us a pre-launch playing period like some of the MMOs have done for people who've bought the game early.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Not me, keeping the release date where it is keeps me temptation free through finals :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ah to be young again...

Gared

Gared

You know, they'd probably feel better and have a better gaming experience if they just had some half-way healthy meals and snacks, and drank some water while pulling their all night/multiple day gaming binge.

Aww crap... I'm old.

Jay

Jay

Some of these achievements are Asian like. No way I'm doing half of those even if I tried.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

btag: notmaker#1301

Krisken

Krisken

I told my wife I wanted to play this if it ever hits the console and she told me no, I've been banned from Diablo. Then she told me to go play Skyrim again.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's divorce talk right there ;)

Krisken

Krisken

That's divorce talk right there ;)
I deserve it. She witnessed my Diablo 2 relapse. I know everyone says they played a lot of Diablo 2, but I killed 3 hard drives and 4 cd drives playing it, not to mention wearing out 2 laser mice (is that right?).

Ever make a Zod? Yeah, that's how sick I was.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yikes... that's... wow...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is your battletag in my first post people? Check, if not.... fix it!
Not yet, and won't be until I either buy Diablo 3 or unpack my SCII.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

I deserve it. She witnessed my Diablo 2 relapse. I know everyone says they played a lot of Diablo 2, but I killed 3 hard drives and 4 cd drives playing it, not to mention wearing out 2 laser mice (is that right?).

Ever make a Zod? Yeah, that's how sick I was.
Ever make a Zod purely from runes found with a single, completely untwinked character? :-P Sick D-Men Unite! :drunk:

I'll gladly believe you played more though - especially if you MP'ed... Not a bragging contest :-P
I only killed 1 CD-drive....but I did have to rebuy DII 3 times because the cds gave out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like my copy won't be here till the 15th, so you guys will have a few days on me.

Wahad

Wahad

Looks like my copy won't be here till the 15th, so you guys will have a few days on me.
If it arrives on the 15th, the only thing we'll have on you is a couple hours.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ha! I've already got my copy.

NOW IF I COULD JUST INSTALL IT!

Damn you, street dates.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If it arrives on the 15th, the only thing we'll have on you is a couple hours.
Oh right... sorry, my mind's not working today.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ha! I've already got my copy.

NOW IF I COULD JUST INSTALL IT!

Damn you, street dates.
The installer folder is taunting me. I try not to look at my desktop and just keep Chrome open at all times.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I am not really all that worried, I am excited but I want to get my Collectors Edition before I play. Midnight release! WOO.

Frank

Frank

Ah to be young again...
Hey gamers, you are fucking disgusting.

Bowielee

Bowielee

They really should refrigerate half that stuff.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They really should refrigerate half that stuff.
Best quote was from a friend of mine.

"They are viciously defending their virginity."

Wahad

Wahad

Just wanted to give the headsup that my battletag changed because of a mistake I made with my account, so it's now Wahad#2371.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe#1361

Add me, bitches.

Gared

Gared

Battletag: Tomarus#1323

Timmus

Timmus

Battletag:
HappyMao#1713

Wahad

Wahad

Watching the internet go nuts as the release draws closer and closer is amazing.

For that matter, 1.5 hours to go before I get to install! But about 20 hours before I get to play because I have early morning class. :(

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah. By the time you log in, the marketplace will already be saturated and you won't be able to unload any of your gear.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I keep forgetting to even generate my Battletag, and the only time I seem to remember is when I am here at work, which I can't log in due to my authenticator. Doh. Will try to remember for tonight since I will actually be playing and all.

Adam

Adam

So, as I'm on the pacific coast, does this mean I'll be playing tonight around 9PM?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Launches at 12:01am PST. Blizzard is located in Irvine, CA, and generally lists all their launch times/patch times in PST.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yup, which is why I don't expect to play tonight but rather after work tomorrow, sadly.

Going to have everything installed before I go to sleep though.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Took tomorrow off, though I expect most of it will be spent with server errors. Letting the game install now, going to stop by the store later and get a case of beer and see if I can stay up late like I used to (stupid east coast).

Gared

Gared

I considered taking tomorrow off, but I'd much rather wait until I know that the servers are stable. Which probably means that I won't wind up taking any time off (which is better for my paycheck anyway), since by the end of the week I won't be so desperate to play that I feel the need to take an entire day off.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This is very true. The hype around the release is huge, so expect a lot of people hitting the authentication servers like a truck tonight.

I wonder if at the very least I can get my WoW pet tonight...

Gared

Gared

All I'm hoping to do tonight is install the game client. Then I'll go back to Minecraft or Tera until tomorrow afternoon when hopefully the servers are back online after their impending crashes.

Piotyr

Piotyr

The installer will be available at 8:01 PST, so anyone will have four hours to get it installed, download the patch, and get it ready to play by midnight PST.

Wahad

Wahad

The installer will be available at 8:01 PST, so anyone will have four hours to get it installed, download the patch, and get it ready to play by midnight PST.
Actually it was available by 10am PST. I just installed it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How much is the monthly fee to play just Diablo?

Gared

Gared

Pretty sure you just have to pay for the game itself, with no monthly fee - you just have to be connected to their servers through battle.net continuously. Unfortunately, I cannot quote a price for the game itself, as I don't have my authenticator at work and cannot log in to battle.net.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

How much is the monthly fee to play just Diablo?
Battle.net is free. You can play any Battle.net game without any fees, like SC2, D3, or any of the older games like WC3.

WoW is the only exception, and that is why they technically don't say you are playing on Battle.net. You authenticate through it, but otherwise you use the WoW servers, not the Battle.net servers.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

You can install the game now, and it does so with no problem, at least for me. The game itself won't be live till 12:01 PST, though.

Jay

Jay

The fuck is that? 3 AM Eastern? Yeah, I'll play it when I'll wake up...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Asians are playing already: http://www.twitch.tv/bahagamecrazy

I was scared everything will look as "wiped with a dirty rag" as Act 1, but it looks like i was wrong... good.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I was scared everything will look as "wiped with a dirty rag" as Act 1, but it looks like i was wrong... good.
What? How can you disagree with "Necromancer's Choice"?

As for them getting it already, I can already taste the rage from the World First crowd that was building. There were literally challenges building up between some of the larger WoW power-players who were going to push to be the first to reach the max level.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I really hope that up through the skeleton king wasn't the entirety of act one.... I blew through that in no time. If there are only 3 acts and they're that short, I'll feel seriously ripped off.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really hope that up through the skeleton king wasn't the entirety of act one.... I blew through that in no time. If there are only 3 acts and they're that short, I'll feel seriously ripped off.
There's a locked gate at the Graveyard, I believe... so no, there is likely more to Ch. 1.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It was confirmed awhile ago that the fight down to the Skeleton King was about 1/3rd of Act 1. Don't forget that Blizzard likes to make each Act after the first a little longer then the last one, so don't expect to get through it extremely fast.

Also, there are 4 Acts, just like D2.

P.S. Should also mention that Blizzard made a lot of terrain types that, based on rumors, will likely only be utilized in the first 2 Acts. Act 1 is supposed to have another outside area called the Leoric Highlands, which supposedly take place after the Cathedral section. They also showed off a snowy keep during one of the BlizzCons I attended.

@Li3n

@Li3n

It's not...

According to the stream it took them over 3 hours to finish act 1...

SPOILER-ish: Also, the Boss is the reverse of the way D1 did it.... meaning there are no new bosses in Act 1... i wonder if they brought back Andy and Duriel too...

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, even though the servers aren't live yet, I already know I'm going to have a problem. The same issue that I had in the open beta. I can't log on from my PC, it keeps giving the error that my logon info is incorrect, but when the same info is entered on my laptop, I log in just fine. I obviously can't play yet, but I can at least log in.

If I'm unable to play on my PC, that's some serious bullshit.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wasn't there a fix for that during the beta?

I seem to recall it was one of the complaints, not being able to log in...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think it was, yeah. I never had the problem so I'm not sure what the fix is/was, though. :/

Also yeah, apparently Leoric is about 1/3 of Act 1, plus I'm sure there's more side quests like the Jar and such if you go looking for them, which should eat up plenty of time.

Jay

Jay

Wondering if I should bother to take a day of tomorrow or not... chances of server sucking a dick = high

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

SPOILER-ish: Also, the Boss is the reverse of the way D1 did it.... meaning there are no new bosses in Act 1... i wonder if they brought back Andy and Duriel too...
Mmmmm fresh meat!
I hope they do, I also want to see Baal and Mephisto in some form, even if just cameos. At least we are finally taking out the last two of the Lesser Evils.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wondering if I should bother to take a day of tomorrow or not... chances of server sucking a dick = high
I don't think it'll be bad for long, if at all. Initial login might get borked for a bit but generally WoW's always been pretty stable within a few hours of xpac launches, if I remember right.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Personally, I'm wondering how many more legs Wirt has to spare (I'd be amazed if he wasn't referenced in some fashion outside a quick mention in one of those journals). What're they up to, three or four now? Diablo, D2, WC3...I want to say there's one in WoW too, but I might be wrong.

Jay

Jay

Would anyone be interested in maybe starting a game sometime tomorrow for a few hours? For a first game through, it could be kinda fun.

Frank

Frank

Apparently I pre-ordered a special edition from EB.

I don't remember doing that.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Apparently I pre-ordered a special edition from EB.

I don't remember doing that.

I got a call about the same thing Frank... weird. I just ordered the standard edition and they called me about my special edition pre-order.

Frank

Frank

No, the difference is I don't really want the game.

Bowielee

Bowielee

d3.png

Yeah, looks like the logon issue is going to persist for the time being...

Adam

Adam

You speak moon person? Impressive!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ok here we go... My battletag is ScytheRexx#1179

Jay

Jay

Main post updated.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Posted mine way back on page two, but it's Potatofamine#1633.

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto#1649

I'll be going Monk and have never even so much as glanced at the Beta.

Adam

Adam

Ingoodhands#1671

Demon Hunter

Jay

Jay

Some people choose some weird tags...

Adam

Adam

I thought there would be a healing class in Diablo 3 :(

Timmus

Timmus

Healing is for little girlie men.

Adam

Adam

I am a little girlie man.

Timmus

Timmus

Well...carry on healing then...

yeah!

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, yeah, still getting the 315300 login message on my PC, but not on my laptop.

Of all the things for there to be errors for, checking a username and password against a database should not be one of the most difficult to implement.

Adam

Adam

This is why you're not in good hands.

Jay

Jay

I'm getting Error 33, down for maintenance. Apparently people in Europe can log in ATM. Albeit with the login server sucking a dick.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's the error I get from my laptop, which is what I should be getting before the servers are up.

Jay

Jay

Blizzard's Login Servers ATM

Gusto

Gusto

I'm getting Error 12, Diablo III not associated with this Battle.net account. Which is just a friggin' lie.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I get error: mailman hasn't delivered the DVD yet. :mad:

Frank

Frank

You guys are not going to get to play tonight. That's just not happening.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well considering most people posting are in areas where the game's not up and running yet, yeah. Got another 3 hours before US servers go live.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, I won't be playing for a few more days. My concern is that the error code that I get when trying to log in from my PC is the same one I got in the open beta, which was never resolved.

Frank

Frank

So, I was at Future Shop tonight picking up some headphones and my buddy who works there let me know even he pre-ordered Diablo 3. He doesn't have a PC.

What the fuck?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So, I was at Future Shop tonight picking up some headphones and my buddy who works there let me know even he pre-ordered Diablo 3. He doesn't have a PC.

What the fuck?
Haha, what. Maybe he's planning to resell it or something? Is it a CE or just the regular version?

Wahad

Wahad

Blizzard's Login Servers ATM

More like

Timmus

Timmus

More like

I wish that gif had sound.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I don't think I've ever been happier to see an error message that the servers are down. It means that my logon is working and I should be good to go when I want to play.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm still getting the "no license on this account error".

Gusto

Gusto

Alright, I went to Options and correctly changed my region to The Americas, and now I'm getting the proper "server maintenance" message.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Just picked up my Collectors Edition, it is glorious. My little demon skull with Soulstone USB stick (came with a free D2 loaded on it) is now a main centerpiece of my desk.

P.S. Bowielee, I know this issue has seemed to correct itself, but do you capitalize any of the letters in your username e-mail? I used to have the same error as you, and noticed it was happening again when I tried to log on earlier, but I remembered that to get through it I just made sure all my letters in the username were lowercase.

Not sure why Diablo 3 cares but it does.

Bones

Bones

gamertag: MikesSoul#1693

see you guys soon!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

My mind tells me I should sleep, but my body tells me I am ready to play. Damn you body!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Scythe, the workaround I had to use was to create a new windows user account with admin privileges and launch the game from there. I have no idea why it works, but it does.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Battletag: Piotyr#1709

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Hey if anyone is on the fence about playing the game, and want to just give it a try first before buying, I got three guest passes with the CE. It let's you download and play the game up to the Skeleton Boss for free. Just throw me a PM and I will get back to you sometime in the afternoon tomorrow. First come first serve.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Shaloub the Monk is in the game and playing. So, at least it's playable right now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I got in and played for a bit. A couple of changes from the beta. Skills and runes come earlier, giving you more options. I think they were just holding back on them for the beta.

The weapons are now restricted by class, so no more monks with two handed bows. I like that as well.

Time for bed and then finals prep. I won't be logging back on until thursday after finals are over.

Mathias

Mathias

My mind tells me I should sleep, but my body tells me I am ready to play. Damn you body!

Jay

Jay

As of now, kindly make sure not to post any spoilers without the appropriate tag.

Bubble181

Bubble181

You'll probably fight, like, a big devil and stuff. And lots of undead. And demons. And probably some twisted local fauna and flora.
:whistling:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is there a hidden cow zone?

Covar

Covar

There is no cow level.

Frank

Frank

Activision owns Blizzard now.
Blizzard games getting released unfinished and untested.
I love this generation of GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think one bug slipping through isn't that bad, and hopefully will be fixed quickly. It could have been a lot worst.

Anyways game is great, but now I have to go to work. :(

Frank

Frank

Well, the whole PVP thing helps my argument.

Necronic

Necronic

Demanding perfection is hubris. Expecting it is idiotic.

The pvp thing did strike me as a bit strange, but I was pretty excited to find out that they are keeping hardcore mode and it's showing up on launch (more or less). Can't say I'm thrilled that they made it so easy to get into (don't even have to beat the game), but I really like the fact that it doesn't have access to the auction houses.

Wahad

Wahad

Running a barbarian solo playthrough to get the full experience. I think I'm about 1/3'd through Act 2 now. Earlier, I hacked a demon to bits so hard that his claw flew at my screen. The most amazing.

figmentPez

figmentPez

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Necronic

Necronic

Yes but did he finish all the difficulty levels (including hardcore?)

@Li3n

@Li3n

Mmmmm fresh meat!
I hope they do, I also want to see Baal and Mephisto in some form, even if just cameos.
If Big D is back i don't see why not...

Of course when they 1st showed him the 3 mouths made some of us think that it wasn't just Diablo in there....

@Li3n

@Li3n

That does not sound like a good use of $60
I paid under 30 pounds... now it just has to get here....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I paid under 30 pounds... now it just has to get here....
No fair, you get it for $48...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well, that's what I get for being optimistic. US servers are down till 3:30 PST (unless this maintenance takes longer, which it could knowing Blizz). Sure would be nice to play some single player without this always-online crap. :/

Krisken

Krisken

Well, that's what I get for being optimistic. US servers are down till 3:30 PST (unless this maintenance takes longer, which it could knowing Blizz). Sure would be nice to play some single player without this always-online crap. :/
Oh, I forgot about that. I'm actually a little relieved I don't get to play it now as that would irritate the hell out of me.

Jay

Jay

The game is wicked fun. Played coop with Ravenpoe all afternoon. Hoping for a 4 man later on tonight. (we're LVL 11)

To be honest though? After what... 7 years of dev I'd hoped for a more robust service from Blizzard. Mind you I didn't expect excellence but no where near this many issues all day long. Server going down several times on the first day for maintenance? That's just poor planning.

In those 7+ years they should have had more stress tests.

Necronic

Necronic

You have to admit that the launcher is pretty technically impressive though

Frank

Frank

So, I have the starter account (big thanks to Scythe). I have no idea what my battletag is or where I go to look at it. I'd like to play co-op to see what the big deal is about that since I've never played it with someone else.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I would find offline single player even more impressive :p

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they're doing it, I just wish they'd come out and admit it's anti-piracy measures, not sit up on this "It's for a better user experience" high horse they've been on.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, the servers going down for maintenance so you can't play a single player game? That's fucking bullshit.

And it's not going to stop pirates. Pirates will always pirate the game and be able to play the single player whenever they want.

Necronic

Necronic

Do you honestly believe that it will have no affect on piracy? That's...a bit ludicrous And I get that people get ticked about it affecting the single player experience, but v0v it doesn't seem to affect people's desire to play the game.

Frank

Frank

Do you honestly believe that it will have no affect on piracy? That's...a bit ludicrous And I get that people get ticked about it affecting the single player experience, but v0v it doesn't seem to affect people's desire to play the game.
None. It didn't stop Starcraft 2 from being pirated a heckuva million times.

Zappit

Zappit

So you need to be connected to Battlenet to play the single-player mode!?! What the hell is that? I bet people crack this all in less than a week anyway, so why even go through that and piss off people who have been waiting ten years? (I spent the other two enjoying the hell out of D2 and not getting antsy for the next one.)

Eh, shit - I'm still going to get this game.

Wahad

Wahad

I thought they had put it into play as an anti-duping measure. But whatever, I guess. I have had no problems so far playing ~10 hours until they took the servers down just now for an update. Hope everything gets fixed for everybody else, this game is great.

Dave

Dave

Edrondol#1480

And I'd love to play the game I payed for. It would be nice.

Mathias

Mathias

So the AH in D3, can you cash out your sales with real money i.e can you make money playing D3?

Wahad

Wahad

So the AH in D3, can you cash out your sales with real money i.e can you make money playing D3?
Yes. You can cash out sales via Paypal. Don't forget there's a small listing fee for every item you put up though.

Frank

Frank

Edrondol#1480

And I'd love to play the game I payed for. It would be nice.
Diablo 2 was the fastest selling game ever when it came out, so it's entirely reasonable that Blizzard just didn't realize there would be so many wanting to play the game. I mean, it's not like they know how many digital preorders there were or how many physical copies were pressed. Also, they probably don't even have any experience in a large scale online venture.

Dave

Dave

Yes. You can cash out sales via Paypal. Don't forget there's a small listing fee for every item you put up though.
Someday they'll unlock my PayPal and all will be right with the world.

Wahad

Wahad

Diablo 2 was the fastest selling game ever when it came out, so it's entirely reasonable that Blizzard just didn't realize there would be so many wanting to play the game. I mean, it's not like they know how many digital preorders there were or how many physical copies were pressed. Also, they probably don't even have any experience in a large scale online venture.
For just Amazon, it was the most preordered game of all time. I don't have specific numbers, though.

Someday they'll unlock my PayPal and all will be right with the world.
There's always the gold auction house in the meantime :thumbsup:

Frank

Frank

This is going to bite a lot of people on the ass.

Frank

Frank

For just Amazon, it was the most preordered game of all time. I don't have specific numbers, though.
I was being a facetious ass.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hah, an hour ago the maintenance sticky was at about 175 pages.

As of right now it's at 351. I understand people are pissed, hell, I think this always-online thing is kinda stupid too, but damn.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The whole online thing is not the best, but it's not the worst either. I have seen much worst when it comes to always online type services. My hope is that one day they disable to online requirement once the game becomes less profitable (which may be awhile).

P.S. Releasing the game ON a known maintenance day was the real boneheaded move.

Frank

Frank

It's not Ubisoft garbage levels yet. At least there's probably a guarantee Blizzard'll get this shit sorted out sooner than later.

Ubisoft would just tell you it's your fault for being pirates, fuck off and let your game not work.

Jay

Jay

lol.jpg

Dave

Dave

And now I'm getting an error telling me I need to redownload and reinstall. This would make time #4.

Really, Blizzard? Are you fucking kidding me?

Jay

Jay

It's up. Ravenpoe POEEEEEEE

Wahad

Wahad

It's up. Ravenpoe POEEEEEEE
And I lost a bunch of achievement progress. Hahaha. Way to go blizz.

Frank

Frank

Ok, now that I can see it. I'm Frank#1643

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't care how good the game is... having to log in online to play single player should be an offense penalized by getting hit in the dick with a claw hammer. No thanks.

Frank

Frank

Ok, played it a bit. Look, I get it's ok fun but I seriously don't understand how this game has so many people insane for it.

Also, I can only play with other people that have the starter account. That's....not a terribly good way to entice me to upgrade.

Jay

Jay

Same

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ok, played it a bit. Look, I get it's ok fun but I seriously don't understand how this game has so many people insane for it.
Not sure what to say, I guess it's just something you had to play the old Diablo games to really get into.

Also, I can only play with other people that have the starter account. That's....not a terribly good way to entice me to upgrade.
Yes that IS really stupid.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

After playing all damn day... this game is awesome (when the servers work).

Why is Tyreal so goddamn awesome?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's not that small a fee... first off, Blizz takes 15% of whatever you sell as a commission. They also charge you a 15% fee to transfer the funds out of your Battle.net Wallet to PayPal. The most you can sell an item for is $250 and that is also the most your Battle.net Wallet can hold. So yeah... your not going to be making that much off this unless you can consistently craft high end items.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Fuck Blizzard and fuck their god damn fucking servers. Fuck them.

FUCK

Dave

Dave

Yeah. I had just passed a checkpoint and fought a bunch of creatures, ending up with a kick-ass chest armor piece. Then 3007 boot.

Dave

Dave

Now the launcher is telling me I have to uninstall/reinstall. This would make #5.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Now the launcher is telling me I have to uninstall/reinstall. This would make #5.
Is it saying that a specific file may be corrupt? I had that happen to me, it was an update file. I just deleted that update file and ran the launcher again. It redownloaded the correct file and all was well.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't think I'd be patient enough for this game. Kudos to you fellas for keeping at it.

Diablo 3- The real game is staying logged on long enough to accomplish something.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't think I'd be patient enough for this game. Kudos to you fellas for keeping at it.

Diablo 3- The real game is staying logged on long enough to accomplish something.
It's only the first day. This is pretty normal for the launch of a big name online game. In a couple of days everything will be fine.

Here's a tip that was driving me crazy that everyone should know to get more information on their skills. Go to options > gameplay and click 'show advanced tooltips'. Now skills will show the actual numbers of how much damage they do/reduce/increase/etc.

Dave

Dave

Is it saying that a specific file may be corrupt? I had that happen to me, it was an update file. I just deleted that update file and ran the launcher again. It redownloaded the correct file and all was well.
This is what I see:

launcher.png

The steps they suggest to take are:

• Restart. This does nothing.
  • Delete the game and reinstall. Now, this has worked each time, but after uninstalling I have to download a couple GB worth of data.
Fucking worthless company.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ouch man, that sucks.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Got booted, and when I looked at my available Acts list it showed me at the Drowned Temple. Ingame, I had just passed the small outpost in Act 2, not long after getting the Enchantress. If I'm stuck back at the Goddamned Drowned Temple and have to clear it all again, not to mention all the achievements I lost the first time this shit died today, I'm going to be a little upset.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is what I see:

View attachment 6230

The steps they suggest to take are:

• Restart. This does nothing.
  • Delete the game and reinstall. Now, this has worked each time, but after uninstalling I have to download a couple GB worth of data.
Fucking worthless company.

If you're installing from the digital copy, did you delete your install folder? The amount you have to download should be a couple hundred megabytes for the updates.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Got booted, and when I looked at my available Acts list it showed me at the Drowned Temple. Ingame, I had just passed the small outpost in Act 2, not long after getting the Enchantress. If I'm stuck back at the Goddamned Drowned Temple and have to clear it all again, not to mention all the achievements I lost the first time this shit died today, I'm going to be a little upset.
I noticed a similar problem, but my character is still showing all my armor from when I was booted. I think it might just be a display hiccup.

Hopefully...

Dave

Dave

Figured it out. Each time I download this it changes the name of the agent file running - or at least the version. So when I log out, my firewall no longer recognizes it. So I got it to run again, but it's a moot point because all battle.net servers are down so we can't play the single player game we paid for.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I noticed a similar problem, but my character is still showing all my armor from when I was booted. I think it might just be a display hiccup.

Hopefully...
That's true, I was the same level and had the same armor/weapon. I mean, I'll play through it all on another character eventually, but I just cleared it today and would like to wait at least a little while before having to do it again.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is almost as bad as a Valve game launch. I still remember the servers for Steam being down like 5 hours when L4D2 launched.

Adam

Adam

If only there was some technology Blizzard could make that would allow a person to play the game without requiring authentication against their servers. It would have to be some kind of fancy name like "asynchronous simulated server holistic offline leveling engine" to get past investors, but in the end, I think it would be a good thing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This is nothing worst then what I remember happens on most WoW expansion release days, and it ten times better then the actual WoW launch, so maybe I am just used to it. I just plan to sit here and read till it lets me back in.

Adam

Adam

This is nothing worst then what I remember happens on most WoW expansion release days, and it ten times better then the actual WoW launch, so maybe I am just used to it. I just plan to sit here and read till it lets me back in.
God damnit Scythe. There's a big difference between a MMORPG like WOW, which requires you to play online, and Diablo which, if I want to, I don't have to see another human being for hours. WHICH I WANT TO.

Timmus

Timmus

So you guys got into the paid beta too!? That's awesome!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't think I've ever had this much of an issue staying online with any WoW xpac, not even BC. Granted, I was on PST at the time, so maybe I missed the brunt of it by being at work or school or something.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm pissed because I can't play my SINGLE PLAYER game I paid for because their idiotic servers can't keep up.

Shit... even Origin worked better than this for me...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

God damnit Scythe. There's a big difference between a MMORPG like WOW, which requires you to play online, and Diablo which, if I want to, I don't have to see another human being for hours. WHICH I WANT TO.
Don't get me wrong, I agree in that regard, but it does not really drive me to the rage others are feeling. I just can't get all that angry about it, because I am ultimately used to it, regardless of the game type.

I don't like the fact it's online only, though in D2 I never actually played the offline version because I hated the idea of making a character that I wouldn't be able to play with others online. I guess that is mostly why the whole premise does not sting me all that much. I knew I would be going through these issues even if an offline single player existed.

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Sucks for him, he could be getting laid instead of sitting at his computer refreshing to see if the servers are back up yet.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Shit... even Origin worked better than this for me...
That is good, at least Origin works for you. I have gone weeks now with Origin not able to even start, so I find that a bit worst.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Dude that guy needs to calm down, he is grabbing that box so tight his fingers are cutting right through it!

Krisken

Krisken

It's only the first day. This is pretty normal for the launch of a big name online game. In a couple of days everything will be fine.
It's that bit that would piss me off. It shows what a stupid idea this whole online only thing is.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Damn you, ADAAAAAAAM.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It's that bit that would piss me off. It shows what a stupid idea this whole online only thing is.
I was more mad about it for SC2. That game really didn't need to be online-only, D3 at least makes some sense to me, but not a friggin RTS.

Oh well I guess it could be worst, at least I am having fun between going through the server issues. I would hate to deal with all the shit only to find I got bored after an hour.

P.S. This was Diablo's plan all along, make the game, cause server crashes, and drive the world into utter chaos as millions of gamers rush into the street to cleave eachother with axes.

Adam

Adam

Damn you, ADAAAAAAAM.

The Photoshop force is strong in this one.

Adam

Adam

Shakey

Shakey

I'm too lazy to red through all of this. Are blizzards servers really not up to this release? That's fucked up.

Gusto

Gusto

Wish I could keep playing. My LAN is up to level 22 and at this rate we'll probably call it a night soon.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Wish I could keep playing. My LAN is up to level 22 and at this rate we'll probably call it a night soon.
Ya I was about to finish act 1. I will be bummed if I can't before I get to sleep.

Gusto

Gusto

The cinematic after Act I is pretty boss.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Was making solid progress in Act2 and had hoped to clear one last Checkpoint. I guess the upside is I won't be tempted to stay up super late this time.

Necronic

Necronic

You guys know the asian servers never went down right?

Wahad

Wahad

You guys know the asian servers never went down right?
They did, actually. The EU and US servers pushed through a small update, which was tested on the SEA servers first.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Getting enough servers for a launch when it's likely that the max load after teh 1st week or two won't be anywhere near what it was at launch doesn't make econ sense, so it's not really that surprising...

And Asia went down even before EU and NA where live, i know, i saw a feed going dark... wonder if those guys are still trying to be the 1st to get to 60...

No fair, you get it for $48...
If it makes you feel any better the exchange rate went from 5 to 5.5 since i pre-ordered in November, so i'm paying more then i thought i would... stupid economy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was more mad about it for SC2. That game really didn't need to be online-only, D3 at least makes some sense to me, but not a friggin RTS.

Oh well I guess it could be worst, at least I am having fun between going through the server issues. I would hate to deal with all the shit only to find I got bored after an hour.

P.S. This was Diablo's plan all along, make the game, cause server crashes, and drive the world into utter chaos as millions of gamers rush into the street to cleave eachother with axes.
Starcraft 2 only required a one time authentication unless you signed in from another computer. I used to play offline on my laptop all the time. I'd be fine if this was what they did for Diablo. It would save them a hell of a lot of server stress headache if you could create an offline only character. Authenticate when you launch the game, then the servers aren't an issue for a good 60-70% of the players, saving a couple hundred thousand times the load on the servers.

Covar

Covar

Getting enough servers for a launch when it's likely that the max load after the 1st week or two won't be anywhere near what it was at launch doesn't make econ sense, so it's not really that surprising...
That's no longer a valid excuse anymore

Jay

Jay

Remember folks, post your BNet tags.

If you're not in the main post, send me a PM as I couldn't be bothered to check the pages for those I missed.

Also, play with HFers! Played coop all day with Ravenpoe yesterday. (minus the server drama). Good times!

Currently going to start Act 2 tonight at 7PM Eastern

Jay

Jay

Apparently when you turn on Elective mode, you have greater freedom with the skills you choose. A great option when leveling and your new abilities are less than ideal without proper runes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just got called in to cover a double, I won't be able to play until 8 at the earliest.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Starcraft 2 only required a one time authentication unless you signed in from another computer. I used to play offline on my laptop all the time. I'd be fine if this was what they did for Diablo. It would save them a hell of a lot of server stress headache if you could create an offline only character. Authenticate when you launch the game, then the servers aren't an issue for a good 60-70% of the players, saving a couple hundred thousand times the load on the servers.
That is interesting, because I remember having to log in all the time when I first played (the first two months after release) and being unable to play it on my laptop while out of the house on a trip once. If they allow playing without logging in now, that might have been patched, and if so I am glad they did.

D3 is a bit of a different beast though, because they would once again have to patch in a method for characters to be saved client side and wouldn't be able to let those characters be utilized in the online systems for things like achievements. It would be way to easy to hack. I know, I used to mess around with hacked offline d2 characters to try out things like the Barb with all the best stats and gear.

Jay

Jay

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuoooooo..... alright. I'll just level up either my Barbarian or Demon Hunter. I'll be in Vent getting hit on by Nick and Bones.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I didn't even get to play yesterday as every time I tired to log in I got errors. This has been a pretty big dissapointment for me.

Bones

Bones

I probably wont be on until after 10 your time, I am working a half shift to train in a new paperslinger, and then have to meet with my boss to discuss plans for the summer.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I didn't even get to play yesterday as every time I tired to log in I got errors. This has been a pretty big dissapointment for me.
That sucks man, because once you get in it pretty much starts sucking out your soul. What error were you getting? Maybe I can look into it for you.

My only guess is that the people that handle the WoW servers are different then those that setup and handle the D3 servers, and if that is the case they really need to have the two teams get together and work out a better system for launches. I can understand it's hard to gauge, and things can go wrong, but after the first day all bets are going to be off. It needs to be fixed now before people start hemorrhaging in anger.

KCWM

KCWM

Went down for me last night right as I was about to fight the skeleton king. No biggie. I went to bed.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

On the bright side Error 37 is turning into one hilarious meme.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

That sucks man, because once you get in it pretty much starts sucking out your soul. What error were you getting? Maybe I can look into it for you.

Good old error # 37. I'm just glad I didn't take the day off work... but I had had a pretty sucky day yesterday and I just wanted to veg out in front of the computer.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Good old error # 37. I'm just glad I didn't take the day off work... but I had had a pretty sucky day yesterday and I just wanted to veg out in front of the computer.
Hopefully today will be better, how about some of us make a new leveling group with some new toons tonight? Get some of the bad taste about the server problems out of us.

That is assuming the servers hold up tonight, hopefully they took this seriously and spent all that downtime yesterday really beefing up the infrastructure.

SeraRelm

Psst...

Pro-tip: You're the dude.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Me specifically or all us Diablo 3 players?

Also... OOOOF.

SeraRelm

Me specifically or all us Diablo 3 players?

Also... OOOOF.
Yes.

Jay

Jay

Emma Stone? Which movie.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Really? a 90lb. woman makes a dude go oof?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Really? a 90lb. woman makes a dude go oof?
I got a weak stomach. :(

SeraRelm

Necronic

Necronic

They did, actually. The EU and US servers pushed through a small update, which was tested on the SEA servers first.
Huh, must have been before or later then when I'm talking about. For me the US and EU servers went down around 10PM central, and the Asian servers were up at that time.

Rolled a mage first on the US servers. Later I rolled a monk on the Asian servers. Monks are amazing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Dude just look at that red dot, it's totally a trap.

SeraRelm

Pro-tip #2: Blizzard was the girl.

Covar

Covar

Played some Torchlight last night while Battle.net was down, and I must say I'm glad I only paid $10 for it. As annoying as the login issues are with Diablo III it's still a Blizzard game, and from what I've played it's worth the headaches.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That is interesting, because I remember having to log in all the time when I first played (the first two months after release) and being unable to play it on my laptop while out of the house on a trip once. If they allow playing without logging in now, that might have been patched, and if so I am glad they did.

D3 is a bit of a different beast though, because they would once again have to patch in a method for characters to be saved client side and wouldn't be able to let those characters be utilized in the online systems for things like achievements. It would be way to easy to hack. I know, I used to mess around with hacked offline d2 characters to try out things like the Barb with all the best stats and gear.
It was like that from day one. You just had to log onto your Bnet account once while online and that basically unlocks the game for that computer. If you log in from a different computer, it will then disable any other computers until you log back in through Bnet. It was always like that. I was only ever online when I wanted to play multiplayer.

Which is COMPLETELY feasible for Diablo as well. I really could give two shits about what happened with D2 online because I never played D2 online. I only played coop LAN. So, yeah, to say that I'm not a fan of this persistent online bullshit would be an understatement.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It's funny because I got the point originally, I just liked messing with you.

Or did I?

It was like that from day one. You just had to log onto your Bnet account once while online and that basically unlocks the game for that computer. If you log in from a different computer, it will then disable any other computers until you log back in through Bnet. It was always like that. I was only ever online when I wanted to play multiplayer.

Which is COMPLETELY feasible for Diablo as well. I really could give two shits about what happened with D2 online because I never played D2 online. I only played coop LAN. So, yeah, to say that I'm not a fan of this persistent online bullshit would be an understatement.

Very odd, not sure what was going on with me then because it ALWAYS had me log in. I never once had a time it let me through without logging in being required. Maybe it just didn't like authenticating me.

Diablo 3 Single Player IS feasible, I never said it was not. I am only explaining that such a system will require some changes to how they handle the character setup and would once again create a "character split", which from what I remember, they said this was one of the reasons they wanted to go online-only. They didn't like how single player and multiplayer characters were not interchangeable. Though that could just be more smokescreen to the real reasons.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

No, this is more like Blizzard...

KCWM

KCWM

Never.Gets.Old

@Li3n

@Li3n

Huh, must have been before or later then when I'm talking about. For me the US and EU servers went down around 10PM central, and the Asian servers were up at that time.
As i said before, when the asian servers went down the EU and NA ones weren't even opened yet...

Puny Gamers!!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh JonTron.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Still haven't gotten my preorder. And with tomorrow an official holiday in Belgium, and the postal service not working on friday (they make it a long weekend, oh so nice), I won't get my PREORDER 'till monday...And monday I start work again. Lovely. #firstworldproblems :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just found out that due to a scheduling conflict, I need to take tomorrow off.

I think I can live with this news...

Dave

Dave

So I tried to log on after work. Error #7 again. Tried the Firewall thing. Nothing. Yay Diablo III!

Frank

Frank

I'm starting to understand the appeal of Diablo 3.

ha ha ha ha, eat it bronies.

Krisken

Krisken

Hah, is that real?

Frank

Frank

I guess so.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Emma Stone? Which movie.
This is totally not related to Diablo..but, the movie is Easy A. Just so you know.

Wahad

Wahad

Hah, is that real?
It's the ''secret cow level'' of D3.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hey, I got to play for 15 minutes before they shut the servers down.

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

That is all... game seems fun, from the whole 20 minutes total I've been able to play.

Covar

Covar

I'm in a queue because the servers are full...:confused::facepalm:

Gared

Gared

I'm in a queue because the servers are full...:confused::facepalm:
I was in queue because the servers are full, then after a few minutes in queue got a message that said the servers are busy and to try again later. Niiiiiice.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If it makes you feel better, the servers are down for a rolling restart for the next 15 minutes or so.

SeraRelm

You guys make me wanna play Diablo 3 so much.:awesome:

Gared

Gared

If it makes you feel better, the servers are down for a rolling restart for the next 15 minutes or so.
Strangely enough, they let me in, let me play for a good 10 - 15 minutes, then disconnected me mid-combat without me ever getting a system message telling me that the server was coming down. I sure am glad I got this game for "free." If I'd paid $60 for it, I'd be fairly annoyed.

Krisken

Krisken

You guys make me wanna play Diablo 3 so much.:awesome:
I think you meant :troll:

SeraRelm

That'd be if I said "I never disconnect from Diablo 3."

Krisken

Krisken

Touche.

Jay

Jay

123.jpg

Terrik

Terrik

Sooo...should I hold on ordering this thing? I read the lore for D 1 and D 2 (told it was enough to understand the story) and figured id buy it. But uhm...yeah.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We played all night tonight, and aside from one 15 minute server downtime for a reset, all was fine.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Seems like all is fairly stable now, so I'd say you're good.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Really, the game itself is worth the headaches....

I really hate admitting that...

Wahad

Wahad

Playing on US serves as an EU person was a better decision than I thought. Because of the timezone difference, I manage to play for as long as I want until I go to sleep, which is right about when they hit peak hours and the servers go down. :troll:

Shakey

Shakey

Even Eve is taking a few shots at this. This pops up on their login screen.

OK7UQ.jpg

Dave

Dave

So you get one of three followers - Templar, Scoundrel and Enchantress. Which do you think is the best and why?

I have a Barbarian and am using the Templar because he can heal me when times get tough. But he doesn't do shit for damage. I've given him good gear and discovered that he does like 7 DPS. I do 100. :confused:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Frankly, I think this will be good for Blizzard. Sometimes they can get a bit cocky, and I think having a good thrashing through memes for a extremely bumpy launch will help them learn a bit for the future. Might even make them rethink the whole "Online-Only" system for the first patches.

So you get one of three followers - Templar, Scoundrel and Enchantress. Which do you think is the best and why?
I am really digging the Enchantress while using my Wizard, mostly because two casters are pretty strong and she helps me control the battlefield. She also has a shield that deflects projectiles, which are pretty much the main thing that gets close to killing me.

I got my own question, how do you guys find yourself playing?

My wizard started out pretty standard, just magic missile and frost beam. I tried out skills as I went and right now I am actually a much more close range focused destroyer. I have Shock Pulse with the explosion rune which works best in the middle of a group, Arcane Orb with damage rune for some ranged AOE, but most of the time I run in, use Diamond Skin, and then Wave of Force right in the middle, pretty much murdering all the smaller demons in one go. Any survivors around I follow up with an Explosive Blast or Shock Pulse.

Adam

Adam

4 person COOP definitely seems easier than it should be.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

4 person COOP definitely seems easier than it should be.
Really, the game is not going to show much difficulty till you get into the next difficulties. I already was hearing stories in General Chat from Nightmare players that were struggling in Act 2.

This is not even going into the fact they added a whole new difficulty, Inferno, which is supposed to be so hard you can't even handle it till you reach cap and get some good gear. That will be interesting to play with friends.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

Okay, so my son started playing this game and I discovered the following that most of you probably already knew - the chest and all money and upgrades are tied to the account. So when my son plays the game suddenly he has thousands of gold to play with! And gems in the chest!

I don't mind that if I were the only one playing, but it's annoying that we can't separate if we wanted.

Oh well. Does anyone else think that leveling the Blacksmith is worthless? By the time you have the levels to use some of the items you make you have better gear for the most part. I think I've only ever used two items I made.

Covar

Covar

I've been pumping up the blacksmith almost as often as I can. I've been using him early and often and haven't run into that problem. That could change at higher levels though.

Dave

Dave

What character do you have? My barbarian can't use anything he makes either because he has better gear already or isn't high enough level to use what the guy can make. The Blacksmith is level 4 so I have to be level 25+ to use anything better than what I have and I'm only level 22. By the time I hit the level 25 cap I can comfortably predict that my gear will be better than what he can make.

Dei

Dei

My biggest issue with the blacksmith is that I keep making the shittiest statted gear ever. :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The issue I have with the crafters is that you have to pay gold to upgrade him and also gold/materials to make items. They should have made it so you used gold/materials to make items and after making a certain amount of items he would upgrade. That way I can focus on making myself some items for either my character or other characters rather then focusing almost entirely on upgrade costs just to keep him relevant. It's not a very good system. I would have even preferred the old training scrolls that used to drop in beta that you use to train him.

Oh well though, in the end the main usage of the Blacksmith is going to be the ability to easily outfit alts after you have a high level character already.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

What character do you have? My barbarian can't use anything he makes either because he has better gear already or isn't high enough level to use what the guy can make. The Blacksmith is level 4 so I have to be level 25+ to use anything better than what I have and I'm only level 22. By the time I hit the level 25 cap I can comfortably predict that my gear will be better than what he can make.

With the whopping 30 or so minutes I've been able to play I noticed a similar trend with my barbarian Dave. By the time I can use something the blacksmith can make, I am already wearing something better.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

With the whopping 30 or so minutes I've been able to play I noticed a similar trend with my barbarian Dave. By the time I can use something the blacksmith can make, I am already wearing something better.
What's funny to me is how many rare items I got right now. Since bosses will always drops rares and I have high magic find, my stash is just full of them.

Adam

Adam

The issue I have with the crafters is that you have to pay gold to upgrade him and also gold/materials to make items. They should have made it so you used gold/materials to make items and after making a certain amount of items he would upgrade. That way I can focus on making myself some items for either my character or other characters rather then focusing almost entirely on upgrade costs just to keep him relevant. It's not a very good system. I would have even preferred the old training scrolls that used to drop in beta that you use to train him.

Oh well though, in the end the main usage of the Blacksmith is going to be the ability to easily outfit alts after you have a high level character already.
I think Plans still drop at the higher levels to create better gear. (not that I've seen any).

My blacksmith is levelled well past my character level but he makes so much 'crap' that I'll never make use of it's kind of pointless. It gives a bit of variety in that if I wanted to switch away from duel-wielding crossbows I could, but I don't really want to. The armor stuff makes more sense.

And the jeweler functioning in the same fashion as the Blacksmith is 'interesting', replacing the Horadric cube from the last game. However, the ability to unsocket gems is 'nice' albeit takes away from any risk associated with socketing gear.

Covar

Covar

I'm playing Barbarian hit lvl 10 last night. I seem to get a lot of Staffs, Bows, and Quivers though, So more often than not I'm really filling up holes in my equipment than replacing gear I found.

Dave

Dave

If you find good stuff like that you may want to stick some of it in your chest in case you start another character.

Dei

Dei

PatrThom

PatrThom

I doubt that's a good analogy. She may be just as pretty, but she doesn't go down even half as often.

--Patrick

SeraRelm

I said Blizzard, not a Blizzard server.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ah, that's true.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've only got a couple hours of playtime in my monk, but it seems like I see more barbarian gear drop than anything else.

But, this is Diablo, so you can pretty much guarantee that unless you're really lucky, when you're playing one class, only good stuff will drop for all other classes :p

SeraRelm

See Star Wars: The Old Republic.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As a Monk I used the Templar till I got the Enchantress. She does pretty good DPS and has really slick abilities that mesh well with Monk.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I kept the Scoundrel, just because... He's the Scoundrel. I love his running commentary and how my monk gives him shit for being a thief.

Covar

Covar

I only have the templar, but I'm soloing for now.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The running commentary is the reason I want to run through each class with each follower through old quests, as it can be pretty fun.

So glad they let you choose old quests to redo.

Necronic

Necronic

The best follower is to play multiplayer.

Seriously this game is awesome.

Adam

Adam

Don't play with Jay though. He steals all your kills with his epic DPS.

Dave

Dave

You all get XP though, right?

Adam

Adam

Oh yes. I level a lot faster when I'm following behind Ashburner, Jay and Ravenpoe than just by myself.

Gared

Gared

I'm also playing a barbarian, and using the scoundrel. The healing from the templar can be nice, but more often than not, if I'm low on health I'll be able to pop Revenge with the Vengeance is Mine rune to pull some health or down a potion. The scoundrel gives me a range option, as I'm waist deep in a crowd of enemies, whirlwinding the hell out of them.

Also, yeah, the blacksmith can be a bit wonky level wise. My gear is frequently better than his, but then my gear will start to lag because I've got an arseload of Vitality on my gear, and I'm waiting for a really impressive armor upgrade before giving up that much health, and the blacksmith will catch up to me in the intervening time. Also, for anyone who hasn't tried it yet, if you have a gem in a nice piece of equipment, but you've found an upgrade and don't want to pay the gold cost to remove the gem; salvage the equipment at the blacksmith, the gem will pop out.

KCWM

KCWM

I'm playing the Barbarian as well. I've only met up with the Templar so far. His healing doesn't really seem to be all that great and, as someone pointed out, his DPS is miserable.

Gared

Gared

I think part of the issue I have with the Templar is that I'm not sure what his primary stat is/are. Is he a healer, and I need to pump his Int, or is he a fighter, and I need to pump his strength; or is he a hybrid class? The scoundrel is easy - he's an archer, so I pump up his dex and he's got the highest DPS of my three followers; the enchantress is the same, she's a pure caster so I pump her Int and she's got nice DPS as well, just not quite as high as the scoundrel. Meanwhile, it doesn't seem to matter how nice of a one-handed weapon and shield combo I give the templar, he can't keep up with my DPS (duh, I'm a barbarian with a really, really big sword) and his heals are just kinda weak. He's usually off to one side trying to kill a skeleton, while I wipe out a massive hoard of demons, then go back to finish off that skeleton for him.

Dave

Dave

Templar's main stat is STR.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Don't play with Jay though. He steals all your kills with his epic DPS.
I know the feeling. It's why I was mainly snaring guys for Jay and Poe to take them out, with my pets playing interference on anything they weren't actively killing. Most of my skills do DoTs for damage, so I can barely damage anything before Jay and Poe wipe them out.

Still, those pets were useful.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's not my fault that we're so awesome.

Gared

Gared

Templar's main stat is STR.
Ahh... in that case, he still sucks at DPS.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Isn't the Templar just a tank? Bashiok said that none of the followers are gonna do much dmg because you're the hero so you should be the one doing the killing...

Also, i has game now... won't get to play today though coz my brother is... only fair, he's the one that knew people in the UK....

Gared

Gared

That makes sense. But I don't need a tank. Of course, if I were playing a wizard or something, I might need a tank.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I've been using the Templar with my DH. It helps to keep the pressure me while I stand in the back and plink.

Jay

Jay

I'll be available around 8 PM for some more D3. Maybe 2-3 hours before I'm off to VEEEEEGAAAASSS

Necronic

Necronic

I'm incredibly lucky (in a way) that my girlfriend took off for a conference on Wednesday. No distractions, just 100% D3 time all the time. Have fun being married and not being able to play D3, SUCKER.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Finals are done, I'm gonna play the hell out of this mothersucker.

Wahad

Wahad

Played a round of (randomized) hardcore with a few friends. It was cool - skelly king was relatively easy, but the Halls of Agony I /barely/ survived in a rare mob pack. The satisfaction of surviving that with a sliver of health is amazing. Managed to beat the butcher as well, which was also fairly intense. But alas, in act 2, Silas the demon hunter got ambushed by a pack of lacuni slashers and died. :( Now he will live on in the hall of fame.

Best game.

Dei

Dei

I'm incredibly lucky (in a way) that my girlfriend took off for a conference on Wednesday. No distractions, just 100% D3 time all the time. Have fun being married and not being able to play D3, SUCKER.
I call shenanigans, I'm married, have kids, and have been playing the shit*** out of Diablo

(***OK, not 24 hours a day, but only shut-ins do that :p)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like I WILL be able to play tonight.

Terrik

Terrik

UPDATING GAME FILES.........UPDATING GAME FILES...........UPDATING GAME FILES.......LAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWL

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Epic times were epic tonight.

If anyone decided not to get this game because of the downtime on launch day, they are missing out.

Ultimate monk ability? PUNCH EVERY FACE!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I love the exploding palm. KABOOM.

Yeah, had to log just now because the servers are LAGGY.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Just beat Diablo on Normal, holy crap was that last fight painful. My wizard had to run around like a bitch, and I had to go in with Diamond Skin with the extra absorb rune because I would have died five times over if I didn't spam that shit anytime he teleported onto my face or trapped me in his cages.

Spoilered.

Adam

Adam

Finished the game just now. Gameplay is great, story leaves much o be desired. Some things pop out of the blue, some things don't get explained at all, some characters know things for no reason other than they have to and once again, Blizzard creates another clone (or three) of the Arthas arc.

@Li3n

@Li3n

and once again, Blizzard creates another clone (or three) of the Arthas arc.
DIE IN A FIRE!!!!

Kerrigan did it 1st (and best), dammit.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Why was my last post spoilered? I didn't spoil any story information, unless you count me mentioning a certain name as a spoiler, which to be honest, thinking it would be anyone else is a bit silly. "points to name of game". Not really spoiling it anymore then the box does already.

Now to actually mention a bit about the story.

While I thought it was not bad, it didn't feel very good either. They rushed in a bit too fast for certain plot points, which they explain away with the characters kind of shrugging it all off. It just didn't feel as consistent as D2.

Act 1 was very consistent, it probably had the best use of the narrative and a lot of interesting events, like Cain's death, the reveal of Leah's hidden power, Tyrael's fall from grace and mortality, etc...

Act 2 still moves on a bit strong until we get Adria, and then things just start getting thrown in without explanation. Suddenly she knows about some Black Soulstone that is the key to killing all the Evils, and we go on this long quest to get it by rebuilding some mage, only to find the stone is imbued with the souls of the five dead Evils somehow. Did Adria always have access to his sanctum and the Black Soulstone? How did she collect the essence of the Evils? How did she even get such essence? Didn't the nature of destroying the Soulstones on the Hellforge supposed to be the ultimate death, making it impossible to reform? If part of Diablo was hiding in Leah and that is how he escaped his Soulstones destruction, then how is Mephisto also in there? None of this is touched on or explained.

Act 3 is when it really starts losing it, the story taking almost an entire backseat to the action. Leah is shuffled in another room outside of the town zone. You dungeon crawl down, kill the boss, and move on to the next act with Adria finally revealing her true intentions and merging Leah with the Black Soulstone. (which by this point, was an obvious twist)

Act 4 at that point just became Act 3.5, you don't even get a new town, you just use the same town from Act 3 and the overall time it takes to complete it is half of the others. There is zero closure on things like Imperius, Leah, etc...

Now for my two biggest issues.

Leah - She was probably the main character of the game for me. We saw her in the beginning with the dream, her love for her uncle, we saw her swear to carry on his work, and she was the one that saw the vision of Azmodan invading. She showed no signs of an evil heart, or a wicked soul. Yet when Act 3 came around her character was sidelined and then finally entirely replaced with Diablo. She didn't even get a sentence in before being changed, not even a "Noooo. Mother stop this!". My character and Follower constantly mentioned how they wanted to save her, that her soul might still be there, but they NEVER capitalize on it. The ending is pretty much Diablo is dead, let's toss his ass off our spire so his corpse burns up. Leah? Who the hell is that?

Diablo - This is going to sound really stupid, but Diablo didn't really feel a lot like Diablo, at least with his aesthetics. I know, he is supposed to be all 7 of the Evils merged into a single Prime Evil, I know he is in a woman's body, but something about going from this...

To this.

Just felt a bit jolting, like I almost wish they didn't call him Diablo and just gave the character a new name. The new creature wouldn't have to be the Lord of Terror, but instead the Lord of All Evil. I actually think they did make it so Diablo was the "driver" just because they wanted to make sure, like always, the name of the game fit with the main antagonist.

It also didn't help that in one of the cinematic, Diablo enters heaven with a swagger that makes me think more runway model then Lord of Terror. Did they really have to give him scale plates that make it look like he has breasts?

Anyways, I still love the game, it's addicting beyond belief, but the storyline and writing could have been a lot better.

Adam

Adam

Anyways, I still love the game, it's addicting beyond belief, but the storyline and writing could have been a lot better.
I think you nailed everything I wanted to say.

Necronic

Necronic

Finished my first run through last night and started on nightmare difficulty. I can tell that thta they really nailed the difficulty scaling, which is arguably the most important design concern for this game. I messed around for all of a minute last night on the auction house, and I realized that I shouldn't be salvaging all of those yellows I get, they will make my good gold on the auction house.

The RMT auction house is bar none the most interesting thing about this game, and I'll be curious how it plays out. My guess is that prices will be pretty low early on (after the opening day madness), since the only thing I hear from anyone is about selling gear, not buying it, but you may start seeing 10-20$ prices for some of the really rare items. I think people are smoking crack if they think they will hit the 250$ cap on a single item.

Edit: Oh yeah and I am actually a bit scurred about switching to hardcore mode. I'm definitely waiting until the severs are a little more mature, and until I have a better understading of the game mechanics/builds. Like, last night someone pointed out to me that I was playing with basically no vitality gear which was getting me killed. Derp.

Edit2: And for any wizards in the house, what are your builds? Right now I am rocking Diamond Skin (prismatic), Meteor, Storm Shield (lower casting), and Archon (best skill in the game omfg it's awesome). My mains are electrocute and disintigrate. Passives switch around a bit. Basically between the prismatic skin and the storm shield (plus one of my passives) I can walk into a giant group of dudes, through up the diamond skin and then drop 2 meteors right on myself. Then everyone dies (hopefully).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The RMT auction house is bar none the most interesting thing about this game, and I'll be curious how it plays out. My guess is that prices will be pretty low early on (after the opening day madness), since the only thing I hear from anyone is about selling gear, not buying it, but you may start seeing 10-20$ prices for some of the really rare items. I think people are smoking crack if they think they will hit the 250$ cap on a single item.
I don't even plan to go that high. When I use it I plan to go between $2-5 per item, unless it's EXTREMELY rare, at which point I will go up to $20-30. I see it as "free money" because I am just selling stuff I am getting while playing the game, so I have no need to jack up the price. People are more likely to pay a few dollars on a good rare or unique then a hundred.

Necronic

Necronic

I think 2$ will buy you pretty impressive gear. Like, exceptionally impressive gear. The best way to determine prices is to think about how many of these items can someone who is running 4 clients simultaneously grab in an hour. Based on that, and what qualifies as a "good income" in some crappy country, you can figure out prices. In one hour of high focus play I can usually grab 2-4 decent rares. I'm guessing someone multiboxing and minmaxed out for magic item find could manage more like 10-16/hour. Which would put the price at ~$0.50 per item.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think 2$ will buy you pretty impressive gear. Like, exceptionally impressive gear. The best way to determine prices is to think about how many of these items can someone who is running 4 clients simultaneously grab in an hour. Based on that, and what qualifies as a "good income" in some crappy country, you can figure out prices. In one hour of high focus play I can usually grab 2-4 decent rares. I'm guessing someone multiboxing and minmaxed out for magic item find could manage more like 10-16/hour. Which would put the price at ~$0.50 per item.
Very true, I bet someone could make money off this system at only a few cents and item. Will really be interesting to see how it develops.

Necronic

Necronic

Arguably there's more money to be made in other games (like WoW or EvE), but the security of knowing that the RMT system is actually endorsed by the company makes me think that farmers are going to flock to the game like flies to a carcass. They do seem to have included some decent anti-farming schemes into the game, like if you kill the same boss on the same day it won't drop a rare (I think), and the exclusion of the korean market from the RMT store will reduce some of this, but w/ magic find items the farmers may do fine just hitting regular mobs. I agree that it's going to be interesting, and as far as RMT/microtransaction models go this is a pretty good one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Like, last night someone pointed out to me that I was playing with basically no vitality gear which was getting me killed. Derp.
See, this isn't an issue with Witch Doctors. I'm currently rocking a massive wall of 4 dogs, which take 10% of the damage I'm hit with, and my gargantuan, which seems to draw aggro well, and my Templar, which has mostly Vit gear and can taunt. That's 6 guys tanking for me, which gives me plenty of time to drop acid on just about everyone.

Necronic

Necronic

Have you gone up against many teleporting or bombarding elites? You will definitely need vitality for those.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Have you gone up against many teleporting or bombarding elites? You will definitely need vitality for those.
Pfft, he has me to tank for him, don't let him fool you into thinking those mutts are doing anything for him!

Adam

Adam

The phasing elites are a bitch too.

Ravenbro, the meat shield.

Necronic

Necronic

Yeah, that's what made me switch to a higher vitality build. It's just too hard otherwise.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

To be fair, I haven't gotten into Nightmare yet, so I need to slot more Vit than I currently am. I'm still finishing up Act III. Probably gonna get Mojo through Normal and then wait for Jay to come back so I can help get him back up to where we are.

And those exploding Mobs? Yeah, they got me good the first time they showed up. Never again.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

In normal, as a Wizard, those Phasewalkers were the worst. Everything else was pretty easy to avoid but if I ran into a group of phasewalkers (or worst, champion phasewalkers) I found myself getting chopped to bits. I ended up saving Diamond Skin for when they showed up.

BTW, my ending build ended up evolving into Diamond Skin with the rune that increased the absorb damage (It became required since I was mostly heavy on intelligence over vitality), Magic Missile with the split rune for when I ran out of Arcane Power, Disintegrate with the AOE rune as my main damage skill that I would focus, Mirror Image for when things got really bad, Familiar with the damage boost rune, and lastly good ole Hydra with arcane rune. My passive skills were the one that lowers melee damage taken, the one that lowers the cooldown on abilities, and the one that increase max Arcane Power and Arcane Regeneration.

My normal method of fighting was to run in, start casting disintegrate into a group of enemies making sure to "spread" over them. Those that survived and got close were then hit by the AOE streams. If anything got close enough to hit me I would use Diamond Skin and just keep pushing out the disintegrate beam. If things were really bad I would use Mirror Image and run like crazy. I would use hydra only if the room is extremely crowded. It worked out well.

Necronic

Necronic

I used to use hydra and just spam it into every fight (since it's so cheap), but someone turned me on to meteor and I've been using it ever since. That spell is so phenomenally devastating when done right. I messed around with Mirror Image a bit but never really liked it (because there's a decent chance they will still hit you.) Also, Archon is probably the single coolest skill I have seen in the game, and there is no way I would give that up.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I used to use hydra and just spam it into every fight (since it's so cheap), but someone turned me on to meteor and I've been using it ever since. That spell is so phenomenally devastating when done right. I messed around with Mirror Image a bit but never really liked it (because there's a decent chance they will still hit you.) Also, Archon is probably the single coolest skill I have seen in the game, and there is no way I would give that up.
While Archon is great, it prevents me from using some of the skills I needed to stay alive, like Diamond Skin. When I used it on the final boss it ended up getting me killed. Mirror Image will not always distract the enemies, but in the case of packs it will always split them, and in the case of bosses will always grab their attention long enough to let you get a few strong attacks in.

Necronic

Necronic

Yeah, Archon has gotten me killed more than any other spells. Because I'll pop it and then be all "I AM A SEX SHOELESS GOD OF WAR" and then just aggro EVERYTHING I can.

Gared

Gared

So umm...
did anyone else find Diablo to be a pussy after the Izrual fight and the massive killing floor that was the 2nd floor of the spire? I mean, I only had to use one health potion and I probably didn't even need that one - just didn't want to chance having to wait for an orb to drop.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My solo strategy has basically been the same as it always was: Run in, Soul Harvest for the massive Int boost, AOE the crap out of everything with Acid Rain. The only thing this doesn't work on is bosses, where I just let my pets tank while I use my Poison Dart + Splinter Rune to pile on the damage while they attack it.

Necronic

Necronic

The other awesome thing about the Archon, and I noticed this right after I activated it the first time, is that it seems like it's taken directly from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the scene where that one dude takes that weird drug and goes into the Barbarois killing everyone. That's what I feel like when I activate my Archon.

Edit: And Gared, no that was probably the hardest one for me.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So umm...
did anyone else find Diablo to be a pussy after the Izrual fight and the massive killing floor that was the 2nd floor of the spire? I mean, I only had to use one health potion and I probably didn't even need that one - just didn't want to chance having to wait for an orb to drop.
EXACT opposite for me.

Izual was freakishly easy, I killed him without taking any damage and even got one of the speed kill achievements. Diablo on the other hand would rape my face if I didn't stay out of the prisons or keep a decent distance from him at all times. Went through five potions and both pools before he went down.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I almost feel bad for using the healing glyph on Serenity.

Almost.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As far as the last two fights go:

I had almost no issue with Diablo as a Monk. That Fire breath he starts doing when he's nearly dead almost got me a couple times, and I did get snagged in one prison. The thing is the more Spirit I spend the more hp I get back, plus I have the improved Healing Mantra, so generally I'd regen to full hp before another attack. Izual gave me more trouble just from the Freeze effect, I was a bit too slow or would get pinned inbetween mobs and the orbs would detonate in my face.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Been playing with my best friend. He's a Mage, I'm a Barbarian. Loving it. I've found myself sticking with the same abilities for the most part though. The shouts aren't worth giving up the axe throw yet, and I love the sweeping strikes with the exploding rune. Jumping into the middle of a group of monsters and making them explode is extremely satisfying.

Though, I'm annoyed with my friend because I've given him everything mage related that's dropped and he hasn't given me a single barbarian drop.... jerk :p

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm trying to decide if I want to take the Monk through Nightmare mode, or start working on a fresh character. Not super interested in Wizard, so it'd most likely be DH or WD so I can give the ranged thing a try. Hoping to save the Barb for coop with my brother.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Just finished. Boss fight thoughts.

Izaul was piss easy. My pets tanked him the entire time and I just dumped acid/darts into his ass. Was frozen twice but I didn't take a point of damage. Didn't lose a single pet. Total fight time was like 45 seconds.

Diablo was a bit harder, but not much. Again, my pets occupied him most of the time during his fights, but he did manage to kill all of the dogs 3 times, my Gargantuan twice, and managed to hurt me for about 50% of my health. It still wasn't even close. I'd say this one last about 2 and a half minutes.

Honestly, I think I'm having such an easy time of it because I was doing like 400 DPS there at the end thanks to an awesome sword and flawless ruby I had.

I'm probably gonna wait until Jay's back before I really start looking at Nightmare mode.

Bowielee

Bowielee

lolwutd3.jpg

Does anyone else see something odd about this?

Krisken

Krisken

There's an advertisement for buying Diablo 3 during your update to Diablo 3?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

View attachment 6294

If you mean "Buy Now" it's because people can install the client, and thus see that screen, using a guest pass.

I just finished the game. My monk has bested the lords of hell.

Izual and Diablo were both super easy as a monk. Granted, most fights on normal have been easy for my monk. Like CK, I use the healing rune on serenity to give myself a heal and invincibility, but I don't use any other healing skills. Sweeping strikes with the mangle rune for mad aoe deeps, lashing tail kick with vulture claw for explosive fire damage, mantra of evasion with bonus to armor as my mantra, dashing strike/leaping kick for chasing and mystic ally/fire ally to give myself a pet that actually does really nice dps.

The mystic ally did a great job of distracting diablo, and he telegraphed his attacks enough that avoiding them wasn't an issue. The only time I took damage was from his fireball novas, and serenity was able to heal me back to full and be off cooldown by the time he did it again. Of course, I expect things will be quite different come nightmare.

Gared

Gared

So here's something a little strange about playing on Nightmarish difficulty:

When you start over, once you get to New Tristram, your three followers are hanging out in the corner between the blacksmith and the mayor. You can hire any of the three of them immediately, and they keep all of their armor/weapons/jewelry. However, when you're working your way through the cathedral on your way to kill the skeleton king, you still have to go through Jondar, and there's still a "warrior" who's being held captive by cultists, who turns into the templar when you get his gear out of the chest. So right now, I have the Scoundrel and the Templar following me, but I can't check out the Templar's gear, because he currently exists the way that Leah or Tyreal do when they're following you around.

Once you get Jondar down to almost no health, and he begs the Templar for forgiveness, you go through that little scene where the templar kills Jondar, then the templar gives his speech about how he'll join you on your quest to kill the skeleton king, on the one condition - blah blah - then comes to attention, salutes, and fades away (assuming you don't have the Templar in your party at the time. No idea what happens if you do).

On a completely unrelated note, on normal difficulty I always kind of hated getting a Protection shrine, because it was just a waste of a perfectly good shrine. On Nightmarish, I love them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Izual and Diablo were both super easy as a monk. Granted, most fights on normal have been easy for my monk. Like CK, I use the healing rune on serenity to give myself a heal and invincibility, but I don't use any other healing skills. Sweeping strikes with the mangle rune for mad aoe deeps, lashing tail kick with vulture claw for explosive fire damage, mantra of evasion with bonus to armor as my mantra, dashing strike/leaping kick for chasing and mystic ally/fire ally to give myself a pet that actually does really nice dps.

The mystic ally did a great job of distracting diablo, and he telegraphed his attacks enough that avoiding them wasn't an issue. The only time I took damage was from his fireball novas, and serenity was able to heal me back to full and be off cooldown by the time he did it again. Of course, I expect things will be quite different come nightmare.
Diablo's ring of fire is his trademark move from all three games, as well as his chain lightning. It's always a killer.

Also, the new design from him is easy to explain: He's in a female host this time. It's why he's much more slender than before.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Diablo's ring of fire is his trademark move from all three games, as well as his chain lightning. It's always a killer.

Also, the new design from him is easy to explain: He's in a female host this time. It's why he's much more slender than before.
I don't remember him shooting lightning in Diablo 1, just the ring of fire and armageddon. Though he definitely had the lightning firehose in D2.

And I liked his new female design. I thought it looked cool.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I love your desktop background
2560-1600-69402.jpg2560-1600-69429.jpg2560-1600-199503.jpg.png2560-1600-201392.jpg2560-1600-201666.jpg4973_.jpg
I have it set to rotate through all these, feel free to have any ones that catch your fancy. Personally, I love the owl one.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If you mean "Buy Now" it's because people can install the client, and thus see that screen, using a guest pass.

I just finished the game. My monk has bested the lords of hell.

Yeah, my Diablo setup was basically this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WegiTQ!cdY!aZaaZa I thought about changing the Wave of Light back to the first glyph but the aoe version was nice when trying to avoid Diablo's attacks or run off to regen a little during his breath attack. Also, Several-Sided Strike hits like a truck.

Bubble181

Bubble181

View attachment 6295View attachment 6296View attachment 6297View attachment 6298View attachment 6299View attachment 6300
I have it set to rotate through all these, feel free to have any ones that catch your fancy. Personally, I love the owl one.
I might just have to steal that one, yes. :whistling:

In other news, still waiting for my pre-order to arrive. I'm going to kill the mailman when she gets here.

SeraRelm

It's more gender friendly to say Mail Carrier.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Since I'm pretty sure she doesn't speak English (or French, Dutch, or German - I think all she answers to is nXhosa), I don't think there's a huge risk of having offended her. But fine, next time I'll say Male Carrier.

SeraRelm

Gusto

Gusto

View attachment 6294

The message that basically says "if you don't like this game, relaod it and continue downloading"?

@Li3n

@Li3n

The message that basically says "if you don't like this game, relaod it and continue downloading"?
That was funny to me too... they really should have used better words...

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Does anyone else constantly get disconnected from the stupid game server? This is really starting to get aggravating losing progress because of constant disconnections.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Lately all's run well enough for me. A little lag here and there but all in all it's pretty smooth.

Gared

Gared

I only had one issue Saturday, and that was right after meeting a merchant near the end of Act I, I lost connection to the server, wasn't even able to exit, could run around all I wanted, but couldn't interact with anything - but a quick shutdown of the D3 process took care of it. Sorry to hear you're having such a time of it though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

After the first day, it's played smoothly. I did have an issue with server lag the other day, but it actually turned out to be our ISP.. CenturyLink sucks, BTW.

tegid

tegid

That message should appear when your download is between playable and optimal... That's the reason for the 'resume download' part.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If Diablo 3 was a girl.

Bones

Bones

just saying, it is on page 12

Jay

Jay

Diablo is hot.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Diablo also appears to be somewhat 'enhanced' for the crucial scenes. Which aura grants that ability, I wonder?

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I played a bit with a female mage. I didn't know she was voiced by Grey DeLisle (voice of Azula on Avatar) The female wizard model even looks like Azula.

I also didn't know that she voiced Catwoman in Arkham City.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Today, my 5-day-long weekend comes to an end. Still no DIII. That's 6 days late for a pre-order. I know this is horribly unimportant in the grand scheme of thing, but I'm working 80 hours of the next 8 days. Screw you, Play.com!

Gared

Gared

I really gotta sell more stuff on the auction house, so I can buy more stuff on the auction house. Belial kicked my ass 5 or 6 times before I went to the auction house and found a 2-handed mace that upped my DPS from the mid 800 range to 1400+ and took my health above 10k; then he dropped like a little bitch. I shudder to think what Azmodan and Diablo are going to be like on Nightmare, given how difficult Belial was.

Gared

Gared

Today, my 5-day-long weekend comes to an end. Still no DIII. That's 6 days late for a pre-order. I know this is horribly unimportant in the grand scheme of thing, but I'm working 80 hours of the next 8 days. Screw you, Play.com!
Man, I hate that shit. If you pay ahead of time for a game, with the expectation that doing so means you'll get the game the day it comes out, the least the company that sold it to you could do is actually provide it. They give you a tracking number at all for the shipment?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, I hate that shit. If you pay ahead of time for a game, with the expectation that doing so means you'll get the game the day it comes out, the least the company that sold it to you could do is actually provide it. They give you a tracking number at all for the shipment?
To quote their customer service: "Your order's been properly processed but, due to stock issues, hasn't been dispatched yet. Once dispatched, it will take between 5 and 10 working days to arrive in your country".

See, that's bollocks. They knew how many pre-orders they had (well, I got mine as a present for my birthday in December; surely they knew how many they had dating that far back), they should've stocked at least that much and then some for late deciders or people buying it on the first day. If you buy it on the 15th and stock is exhausted, that sucks but I can somehow imagine. But how can you not have enough in stock to fill pre-orders?!
:censored:

Wahad

Wahad

To quote their customer service: "Your order's been properly processed but, due to stock issues, hasn't been dispatched yet. Once dispatched, it will take between 5 and 10 orking days to arrive in your country".
:censored:
I didn't think there were any orks in Diablo. I must've missed something.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I didn't think there were any orks in Diablo. I must've missed something.

I have no idea what you're talking about :ninja:

Bowielee

Bowielee

That kind of defeats the purpose of pre-ordering.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Considering I could've bought a digital version and have played it ages ago, yes it does. Pah.
Anyway, I'm a regular customer there but for pre-orders or other things where time matters (late Christmas shopping and the like), they've lost me as a customer.

Necronic

Necronic

Ouch, yeah that's exactly why I preordered.

Also I now have a lvl 56 mage, playing through Act I on Hell difficulty. A couple of pointers for higher end game-play.

1) Gold Find > Magic Find: Magic find gear is already going for tons on the auction house, but tbh I think gold find is way better as you can then go onto the auction house and just buy whatever you want. Also a big chunk of what you get from magic find is additional Blues, which are pretty worthless at the endgame. Gold find gear is cheap at the moment, but my guess is that it's going to be more expensive later when more people wise up.

2) Learn to recognize "blitzing" zones. There are certain zones in the game that guarantee a quick succession of yellow/blue fights or a good concentration of mobs. They also require a nearby waypoint or a checkpoint right before you start it, so you can just leave game->resume game -> blitz -> leave game -> resume game. It's generally faster to do the second one of these solo, the first works decently in a group,

The two I know of right now are:

The hallway leading up to Bellial in Act II. One guaranteed purple fight and one guaranteed blue fight

and

The cemetary w/ 3 crypts where you find the crown in Act I. AFAIK you have to select a later quest and just use the waypoint since there isn't a waypoint near the quest.

Last night I was making something like 30k every run through the second one of the above (on hell difficulty), which took ~15-20 minutes. Found a unique set of pants too, the "Hammer Jammers". They weren't that good, sold them for 60k. The first one is even better but I haven't hit it on hell diff yet.

Anyways, the blitzing thing will make you feel like a crackhead, but it's pretty good money. Paid for 2 set pieces for me so far.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Necronic

Necronic

There's a very good article on Forbe's about the always online issue and how it relates to the RMT auction house. I think they could bypass this by having an offline mode that wouldn't allow character or item transfers, although even then people may more able to figure out exploits or hacks that they could then use in the online mode.

Anyways, worth a read.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...l-never-be-offline-single-player-in-diablo-3/

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

There's a very good article on Forbe's about the always online issue and how it relates to the RMT auction house. I think they could bypass this by having an offline mode that wouldn't allow character or item transfers, although even then people may more able to figure out exploits or hacks that they could then use in the online mode.
The big problem is the client side data is easy to hack. You could automatically make your Barbarian to level 60 with his own custom items. This happened a lot in the single player game of D2. I know because I took part in it to try out class combos I was curious about but didn't want to level up myself.

Just like D2, Blizzard could just make the two systems separate, and not allow anything from the offline to get into the online. When you think about it though, that just cuts off people from using the RMT auction house, thus cutting off possible income from those players, so it makes sense that it was still a driving factor in making everything online only.

Necronic

Necronic

Exactly. I mean, sure there's a handful of players that absolutely can't play online ever so they wouldn't participate in the RMT house either way, but I think that there are even more players that would choose to just play offline single player/LAN even if they could play online. It may seem a bit greedy of them to do it, but as the forbe's article points out D3 has a decent chance to canibalize some of their own income from WoW (something I hadn't even thought about), so I don't begrudge them.

But anyways, let's get back to the topic of THE GAME before we get back into the quagmire of of the online issue.

Anyone else gotten to Hell difficulty? I know a lot of folks have complained about aspects of this game being overly dumbed down from previous versions, but when I hit Hell I really came to understand better why they went with the rune system, as well as understanding how well balanced this game is (with a few exceptions). Beating Hell is going to be a challenge on it's own, and will require me to respect before I fight bosses and in different zones (a bit). I don't think I will be able to beat Hell difficulty until I'm at 60 and have gotten some pretty good gear (like lvl 60 rares/sets/uniques). Which begs the question, how do I keep improving for Inferno? From what some people have told me you pretty much have to run in a well organized group in Inferno.

D3 is soooooo much more difficult than any of the previous games, it blows my mind a bit tbqh. I initially stated that I was going to hit hardcore mode as soon as I opened it, and I've definitely changed my mind on that.

Frank

Frank

Apparently the 'hacked' account stories are beginning to roll in. Yay online.

Necronic

Necronic

You would be surprised how many people don't use antivirus (or don't update it). Not exactly Blizzard's fault if you get a keylogger/virus. This happens in EvE quite a bit, they even have a warning on any external links from the forums saying that people will hotlink you to keyloggers/trojans as this was a problem for a while. I would not be surprised if there are a number of D3 websites out there that exist solely to put viruses on your computer so that they can hack your account.

Frank

Frank

I understand that and I'm guessing it's happening to a lot of people that never bothered with a lot of Blizzard's other games. They played Diablo 2 and now are playing Diablo 3 and suddenly all this grisly shit is happening to them because they have no idea the fucking awful world that MMO's have bred online.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

D3 is soooooo much more difficult than any of the previous games, it blows my mind a bit tbqh. I initially stated that I was going to hit hardcore mode as soon as I opened it, and I've definitely changed my mind on that.
I keep hearing that. Funny enough I hear the bosses themselves are not so bad, it's the champion packs that really screw you up in Hell and Inferno.

Here is a video (SPOILERS) of the last boss Inferno kill. Took them pretty much 27 minutes to do it.

What's even more crazy though it this guy below beat that guild by a few hours, and did it solo with his Wizard. I tip my hat to his dedication, but dude, get some sleep.

I wonder how many people are attempting to be the first Hardcore to clear Inferno.