Coronavirus Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
My friend's Dad that I'm letting stay with me continues to be stubborn to the point of idiocy. He had a doctor's appointment for a routine colonoscopy today, but they kicked him out when he refused to wear a mask. Then he came to me to commisserate about it.

I told him I had no sympathy and to just wear the damn mask.

He said "But when they get away with telling you to wear a mask, then they're gonna start saying you have to be vaccinated!"

To which I said "You SHOULD be vaccinated!"

He had nothing more productive than "fuck that" to reply.

Damn idiot's going to get himself killed. I'm not happy about it. And I hope he doesn't take anybody else with him through his pigheaded self-centeredness.

GasBandit

Staff member
And we've already, days ago, had the "They're trying to make the vaccine mandatory!" discussion. My response was "you mean like the other 20 vaccines for diptheria, tetanus, measels, mumps, rubella, pertussis, polio, hep a, hep b, varicella..." and he always walks away at that point.

It's mind boggling how the misinformation has absolutely corrupted the minds of otherwise intelligent people.

figmentPez

Staff member
Hospital staff must swear off Tylenol, Tums to get religious vaccine exemption

"[Conway Regional Health System] in Arkansas is making it a bit more difficult for staff to receive a religious exemption from its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. The hospital is now requiring staff to also swear off extremely common medicines, such as Tylenol, Tums, and even Preparation H, to get the exemption."
"The list includes Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, HIV-1, Benadryl, Sudafed, albuterol, Preparation H, MMR vaccine, Claritin, Zoloft, Prilosec OTC, and azithromycin."
"The intent of the form is twofold, Troup says. First, the hospital wants to ensure that staff members are sincere in their stated beliefs, he said, and second, it wants to 'educate staff who might have requested an exemption without understanding the full scope of how fetal cells are used in testing and development in common medicines.' "

figmentPez

Staff member
This has to be trolling, right?

Unvaccinated TikTokers Are Calling Themselves ‘Purebloods’

“From now on, I refuse to be referred to as ‘unvaccinated,’ ” a conservative TikToker declared. “I want everyone to now call me Pureblood.”

Are there really people pushing this brand of stupid? Please tell me this is satire:
The ‘Pureblood’ Trend Reveals Anti-Vaxxers’ Mystical Racism

I just don't know how to tell anymore! Where is the line between real stupidity and made-up satire? People aren't really expecting that "purebloods" will be hunted down because their unvaccinated blood has worth as some sort of cure, right?

This has to be trolling, right?

Unvaccinated TikTokers Are Calling Themselves ‘Purebloods’

“From now on, I refuse to be referred to as ‘unvaccinated,’ ” a conservative TikToker declared. “I want everyone to now call me Pureblood.”

Are there really people pushing this brand of stupid? Please tell me this is satire:
The ‘Pureblood’ Trend Reveals Anti-Vaxxers’ Mystical Racism

I just don't know how to tell anymore! Where is the line between real stupidity and made-up satire? People aren't really expecting that "purebloods" will be hunted down because their unvaccinated blood has worth as some sort of cure, right?
Assuming all those vaccinated will soon become infertile, pureblood sperm will soon be key to the survival of the species.
... Can we use that reasoning to convince the right to start donating vaccines to Africa now?

figmentPez

Staff member
I mean, they're gargling with iodine now, sooo...
That's just another variety of chemical misuse. It's actually more reasonable than injecting bleach. So that's a different type of stupid, and on a level that's lower than what we've seen before.

"Pureblood men are going to be in demand to repopulate the planet" is a very distinct kind of stupid, one I don't think is closely related to the type of stupid that thinks gargling with antiseptic is good medicine.

I feel like most works of fiction I can think of that uses the term "pureblood" have given it negative connotations.

Although admittedly I can only think of two right now, Harry Potter and Mass Effect.

We're not doing well here

A friend of mine who's a nurse in Edmonton just stopped by to pick up cans for her kid's scout troupe. She's on light duties because her bicep got torn (and it's going to need surgery one day when Alberta does surgeries again). She has to SOMEHOW take time off now for a court appearance because one of our anti-mask loonies got into her ward and assaulted someone, so she gets to deal with that too. Fuck everyone making us all live this way. What a fucking nightmare.

Boy it's so rad that the RCMP are continuing to crack skulls with rifle butts (yesterday in fact!) against the first nations, but schools get to be locked down because anti-mask adults are just deciding to show up and let themselves in.

Last edited:
It's not a condemnation of the need for extreme triage like that, it's just such a nightmare state of affairs to have a universal DNR.

Our vaccine passports (which aren't vaccine passports according to the provincial government's website) that are required for many non-essential services are just an editable pdf.

I live in the dumbest place.

1632075300379.png

Pretty much the same in the states. Although some are finding out the hard way that falsifying medical documents is actually a crime.

Somehow - don't ask me, one of our lizard overlords must have been sleeping on the job - the EU actually got this kind of right. I'm sure it's still falsifiable, but even the printed version, when properly checked, links back to an on line version with a picture, last checked date, vaccination status, etc.

A sign of a healthy and functioning medical system. I feel like ONGOING is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

They're directly responding to Dr. Vipond, one of the only doctors in this godforsaken province that's trying to get info out to people.

Last edited:
I feel like any time anyone has to activate any kind of "emergency morgue protocol," that is an indication that things are Not Going Well, no matter how reassuring the message announcing it may seem.

--Patrick