Coronavirus Thread

So much to unpack in there:

-International travel during COVID
-Poaching
-International travel during COVID (again)
-Animal trafficking
-TSA
-Animal abuse/harboring dangerous creatures
-Stupid people getting bit and dying

--Patrick

So here in Taiwan we were on the verge of getting everything under control again. Local infections were at zero or single digits, and the single-digit infections we did see were generally the family members of quarantining infected individuals, ie they weren't really community infections. The epidemic prevention level was lowered back to how it was before, so life was pretty much going back to normal.

And then a few days ago we had an airline pilot fly into Taiwan while infected with the Delta variant, and then he didn't mask up while at the airport, and then he lied about his travel history, and then he broke quarantine to basically travel all over Taiwan while meeting people and probably touching everything he could get his little grubby paws on. So now we're seeing community infections again. Some of them can be traced, for example they were from the pilot or from flight attendants on his flight. But others are more mysterious.

So right now Taiwan is poised on another precipice. We might get this incoming Delta infection under control, or we might see a major outbreak that would send us right back into lockdown again.

Oh, and the pilot in question has been fired and he has twenty-three million people calling him a dumbass pretty much in unison.

My mom called last night and let me know my Aunt passed away from COVID-19. She was in her late 60s and left behind a lot of children and grandchildren. She tried to be careful during the pandemic, but refused to get the vaccine. After she contracted it, she isolated, but waited to go to the hospital too late and by that point there was nothing left to do for her. My mom couldn't understand why she wouldn't get the vaccine, and neither could I. My aunt paid for it with her life. Every day we get patients in the dental office that claim they have not/will not get the vaccine and they just don't realize the kind of fire they're playing with. Maybe its more of a real danger for me because I literally work in people's mouths every day, but at this point the information is out there. Get the vaccine. Get a booster if its recommended for you. It's better than dying from something that, which at this point, is largely preventable.

My mom called last night and let me know my Aunt passed away from COVID-19. She was in her late 60s and left behind a lot of children and grandchildren. She tried to be careful during the pandemic, but refused to get the vaccine. After she contracted it, she isolated, but waited to go to the hospital too late and by that point there was nothing left to do for her. My mom couldn't understand why she wouldn't get the vaccine, and neither could I. My aunt paid for it with her life. Every day we get patients in the dental office that claim they have not/will not get the vaccine and they just don't realize the kind of fire they're playing with. Maybe its more of a real danger for me because I literally work in people's mouths every day, but at this point the information is out there. Get the vaccine. Get a booster if its recommended for you. It's better than dying from something that, which at this point, is largely preventable.
My in-laws won't get vaccinated either. My husband has been trying to get them to get the vaccine for months and they won't. As far as I know, they aren't Trumpers, but they are very religious. Even my Trumper parents got vaccinated.

My brother and his family are not vaccinated. I don't know how it got in his head that the russian vaccine is the only one that will work for them. The problem is that vaccine isn't available.

This may sound very harsh, but with vaccinated or people who can't get vaccinaties for legitimate medical reasons dieing because ICUs are overburdened with Covid cases, it may be time to reassess priorities. Those who have chosen not to get vaccinated while they can, and require hospitalization, should no longer be considered of higher priority than those with other life threatening issues. If the choice is between someone with a heart attack or an unvaccinated covid patient, kick the unvaccinated to the curb. They close their lot.
There are still plenty of other people requiring care - including for covid! - who are currently on the back burner because of these perfectly avoidable instances.

As much as I’d like to see them suffer for their selfish choices, I try to remember that they are someones parent/child/sibling/loved one.

Yes but that will make them start whining about how they’re being “canceled” because of their choices, etc.

—Patrick
That's okay. They can rant about it until they're blue in the face. Literally.

EDIT: But yeah, it's absolutely cold hearted to say, but I think people who chose to not vaccinate should get lowest priority. Put them somewhere out of the way, don't send them home to spread it to others, but also treat literally everyone else first.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
But not for very long.
It's the rich hypocrites who are using them as political tools that we're worried about. Even if every one of the idiot followers catches COVID-19, not enough will die to guarantee that the rich assholes lose the next election, especially if the remaining idiots are actively angry about something.

This may sound very harsh, but with vaccinated or people who can't get vaccinaties for legitimate medical reasons dieing because ICUs are overburdened with Covid cases, it may be time to reassess priorities. Those who have chosen not to get vaccinated while they can, and require hospitalization, should no longer be considered of higher priority than those with other life threatening issues. If the choice is between someone with a heart attack or an unvaccinated covid patient, kick the unvaccinated to the curb. They close their lot.
There are still plenty of other people requiring care - including for covid! - who are currently on the back burner because of these perfectly avoidable instances.
Switzerland is looking into this right now. They discuss to prioritize vaccinated patients over unvaccinated in hospitals since the ICUs are overburden mostly with unvaccinated corona patients.

Its the blatantly obvious solution. Don't care if they're on the ventilator and will 100% die if they're taken off of it. If someone vaccinated needs it, they get it.

While I agree with you emotionally, I don't feel that emotions should play a part with people's lives, and this opens up a slew of ethical problems that can't be ignored. Should a fat guy having a heart attack be denied? He chose to eat all those cheeseburgers.

And how do you know the reasoning behind not being vaccinated when they’re admitted? There are valid health reasons to not get the vaccine that might not be known to the emergency workers right away.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or, to approach it from another direction, should someone who drove while drunk and was grievously wounded in the ensuing crash into a tree get passed over at the emergency room in favor of some other unrelated patient with an equally serious condition, solely because he was DWI? Yes, his choices were illegal and wrong, and could have caused serious consequences for others, but in this case they didn't - and it's impossible to know at the point of admission whether a covid patient has infected someone else or not at that point as well.

I don't know the answer to this either.

And how do you know the reasoning behind not being vaccinated when they’re admitted? There are valid health reasons to not get the vaccine that might not be known to the emergency workers right away.
Getting vaccinated and wearing masks is as much about protecting those around, masks especially. The morbidly obese person you just don't want them sitting next to you on a plane or theatre when those become viable again.