Coronavirus Thread

I can't make out what he's trying to say. I mean, I guess he's making fun of the "Covid passport" nomenclature for covid safe/vaccination cards, but....whu?
"passport" means a token to allow you to enter/leave a port (shocking, I know). So, yeah, I guess you could call any type of pass a passport. Your gym membership card allows you to enter your gym, it is indeed a passport. Your library card is a rental card, though in some libraries maybe you can't enter without a card? I dunno.

I mean, I can't make out - is he in favor of covid card checks but thinks the naming is silly? Is he opposed and thinks society will make 50 types of passports mandatory for Big Government to completely control your movement? Is he saying you're already living in a society where everything you do requires a card proving you're allowed to do it? If it's comedy/satire, I can't make it out; if it isn't, it's stupid and short-sighted.

I can't make out what he's trying to say. I mean, I guess he's making fun of the "Covid passport" nomenclature for covid safe/vaccination cards, but....whu?
"passport" means a token to allow you to enter/leave a port (shocking, I know). So, yeah, I guess you could call any type of pass a passport. Your gym membership card allows you to enter your gym, it is indeed a passport. Your library card is a rental card, though in some libraries maybe you can't enter without a card? I dunno.

I mean, I can't make out - is he in favor of covid card checks but thinks the naming is silly? Is he opposed and thinks society will make 50 types of passports mandatory for Big Government to completely control your movement? Is he saying you're already living in a society where everything you do requires a card proving you're allowed to do it? If it's comedy/satire, I can't make it out; if it isn't, it's stupid and short-sighted.
He's saying that the antivaxxers warning about how they're going to require a "vaccination passport" are dumb because we already require things like drivers licenses or IDs

Dij yo moma use to tell you that life is like a box of chocolates, by any chance?

Thanks, I needed an insult to my intelligence today like I need a brick to the face.

Fuck off if you have nothing useful to add to the conversation.
I was just teasing you because of how obvious that was.

I didn't realise you missed it because you where in a bad mood.

You could also maybe apologize?
I could, but it would be disingenuous...

Sometimes people do or say stupid things, or fail to notice something obvious. Pointing that out in a humorous way isn't necessarily meant as an attack on that person's worth.

If it really upsets him that much i'll refrain from doing it again.

I think it's easier to miss than you realize for someone in which english isn't their first language and isn't inundated with american news daily.

I understood that he was trying to make a humoristic point about covid passports. My point was that his trying to joke was so bad that I honestly couldn't make out which way he was trying to go. In re-reading, I still can't!

His post can just as easily be taken as "DemoKKKrat Tyrants want to move us to a KKKommunist Society where the Government Controls everythign we do with passes!" as "Anti-vaxxers are stupid because we already routinely need to show plentyo f types of ID to do things".
If it's the second, fair enough, but his examples are horribly muddled - as far as I can tell you don't use a credit card or debet card as ID.

And yes, I was - and am - in a bad mood and struggling with depression at the moment, so such comments weren't exactly welcome. That aside, I still stand by my original point: perhaps it's Poe's law, but I think his attempt at comedy completely falls flat and can be easily read as pro-vax-passports or against them.

I think his attempt at comedy completely falls flat and can be easily read as pro-vax-passports or against them.
There is a certain Truth to this, because there are plenty of examples of one side saying, "[Other Side] is so not like us that I bet they want/love [thing speaker considers outrageous behavior]!" and the other side responds with "Yes! That is exactly it! So glad you get it!" which leaves the original speaker aghast that [Other Side] people could even consider doing such a thing.

--Patrick

1632867302354.png

Need life saving surgery right now in Alberta? Too bad, die. Oh, has your cancer treatments been postponed? Too bad, die. Car accident? Enjoy bleeding to death internally while our collapsing hospitals try to find someone to help you.

Our premier is currently doing a press conference where right wing rags are asking if he still stands with O'Toole (the failure of a federal conservative candidate for prime minister) and touting what a good job he's doing right now.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law, who is a total asshole I've talked about on here before, told me some interesting stuff the other day. For one, he used to be the "it's just the flu!" but he's apparently changed his tune on that. Fortunately, he's also not dumb enough to not believe in the vaccine.

But he's an international pilot, who often flies in China and other areas around there. The company he works for asked him to work for just one day and would pay him for 40 hours worth for it because they're that desperate. Several pilots are refusing to get vaccinated so as a result, they're not flying. He's talked with some of these pilots and they're all anti-vaxxers who go on about ridiculous conspiracy theory nonsense.

Finally got my 2nd dose today (AstraZeneca). Based on my experiences of the side effects from the 1st dose, I'll mostly be bedridden tomorrow. Thankfully it is Work From Home day for us.

So it is time to hit the bars this evening I think. If I feel like dying tomorrow, AstraZeneca has me covered for work.

I think the dehydration probably won't help, but can't fault you for wanting to enjoy the night. Drink fluids, take some meds to deal with side effects.

figmentPez

Staff member

Yet another rich white dude who will get the best possible treatment, and probably won't die like the hundreds of thousands of others their policies have condemned to death. Fuck Kavanaugh and his undeserved spot on the Supreme Court.

That aside, I still stand by my original point: perhaps it's Poe's law, but I think his attempt at comedy completely falls flat and can be easily read as pro-vax-passports or against them.
Not going to defend his delivery, coz it wasn't good, but they're all things we already use, so if it was anti-vaxx, it would be an even worse job at delivering the intended message. Not that that wouldn't be on brand.

Also, Forrest is a great guy, and no one should be offended to be compared to him. That is all.