Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
Here we go again!
Meanwhile my parents are saying things like "The governor is overreacting", "Cases are going up, but deaths are going down." (No, deaths are spiking in Texas) and "It's normal for emergency rooms to be at nintey-something percent of capacity. You won't hear that on the news." (Yes, you will; if you follow a good news source. You'll also hear that we're on track to exceed even surge capacity soon, and that people need to change what they're doing.)

GasBandit

Staff member
Meanwhile my parents are saying things like "The governor is overreacting", "Cases are going up, but deaths are going down." (No, deaths are spiking in Texas) and "It's normal for emergency rooms to be at nintey-something percent of capacity. You won't hear that on the news." (Yes, you will; if you follow a good news source. You'll also hear that we're on track to exceed even surge capacity soon, and that people need to change what they're doing.)
I think I might be the only person of our age group whose parents are taking it seriously.

But then, my parents are doctors.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yyyyep, Trump and his lackeys are apparently tired of Fauci not carrying Trump's water kool-aid.

1594614130842.png

"The number of times Dr. Fauci has been wrong on things" is way less than any of the rest of you shitstains in the Whitehouse, especially the imPOTUS.

My mother is a retired postal worker and in-home caregiver, and my dad is a retired cabbie and pizza delivery guy, and they're both taking it seriously. I don't know what other people's excuses are, other than that their vision is clouded by GreatAgain.

--Patrick

My aunt was an AIDS nurse in Cambodia and Thailand. My whole family is taking this seriously, though two of my cousins have been infected from working in packing plants in Iowa, they have recovered.

I think I might be the only person of our age group whose parents are taking it seriously.

Mine are acting as if it is serious but are very frustrated at how things are being handled and blaming the media mostly for how things are being handled.

Welp, back to Stage 1 for the entire state of Oregon (geographically) starting July 15th. Limits of no more than 10 people inside, and the addition of masks now need to be worn in outdoor public spaces where physical distancing isn't possible. Sadly, the 10 person limit does not apply to churches, restaurants, gyms, or other places currently getting people sick.

My work is going to consider me a teleworker. But they say I can't go home until they get me a laptop. Instead I'd rather they spend $40 on a webcam so I can take my desktop home and plug it into my KVM at the house. If I ever get a laptop, I'll have to come up with some way to set it up at home.

My mom has been taking it very seriously because of her asthma. My dad takes mask wearing and washing hands seriously because of my mom's health, but thinks it's all exaggerated thanks to the liberals trying to take away all his freedumbs. :rolleyes:

In other news - Hawaii is delaying opening up for tourism until Sept 1.

Dave

Staff member
Timeline for a buddy of mine:
  • 4 days ago - His dad starts coughing and feeling sick.
  • 3 days ago - His dad goes to the doctor and is immediately admitted.
  • 2 days ago - His dad is positive for Covid.
  • 1 Day ago - His dad is placed in ICU and on a ventillator.
  • Today - His dad died.
Fucking idiots who won't wear masks.

I spoke to my father at 10:30 this morning (which is highly unusual for him to be awake before 1pm, so I thought something was horribly wrong), and he spent most of the call venting about how stupid people are for not wearing masks, how evil Trump is, how Fox News is a cancer on America, and he can't really leave the house because he's in Central PA and everyone around there are morons who are only making Covid worse.
I really wish he were this sane in ALL aspects of his life, but at least he's unlikely to get the virus.

You know, it dawned on me a while back that I'm probably really lucky that my dad doesn't like paying for cable, so I never had to worry about Fox News possibly infecting my parents.

figmentPez

Staff member
You know, it dawned on me a while back that I'm probably really lucky that my dad doesn't like paying for cable, so I never had to worry about Fox News possibly infecting my parents.
My dad gets most of his right wing nonsense from talk radio, best I can tell. He might watch Fox News, but I know he listens to a lot of Sean Hannity and other conservative radio.

I think the one that was the most shocking to me was that my former best friend's parents went completely batshit fucking insane after listening to conservative talk radio for so many years, that a woman who was once the very best obstetrician for 200 miles became a Covid19 denier who openly preached traveling the world by caravan during the pandemic and thinks that all doctors are liars who are over inflating numbers to make the best president in the history of ever look bad.

Scene: the Pearly Gates. A Certain Someone goes to check up on St. Peter because of the backlog.

"I gave you intelligence! I gave you free will! I gave you common sense! And THIS is what you do with it!?"

Wear your fucking mask. Because if He needs to lecture you on it, it's far too late.

Scene: the Pearly Gates. A Certain Someone goes to check up on St. Peter because of the backlog.

"I gave you intelligence! I gave you free will! I gave you common sense! And THIS is what you do with it!?"

Wear your fucking mask. Because if He needs to lecture you on it, it's far too late.
Three words. Buy a ticket.

My ZIP code has hit 1,100+ cases today.

Not my city.
Not my county.
Not my state.
Not my country.

My POSTAL CODE.
:(
I want to thank you again for those shirts. Whenever I wear one in public, people point to the “Arizona” logo, whisper among themselves, and then move farther away. It’s great.

—Patrick

Ha ha ha. :p

EDIT: So as not to double-post - I have not seen updated numbers on the site I usually use (Bing's COVID tracker) for Arizona.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha. :p

EDIT: So as not to double-post - I have not seen updated numbers on the site I usually use (Bing's COVID tracker) for Arizona.
For sone reason Arizona is down by 75% this week. Too large a number to be explained away with taking precautions.