Coronavirus Thread

Politicians are pushing for kids to go back to school because it will probably be fine for them. But what about the teachers? What about everyone these kids come in contact with? FFS if there's a sniffle from someone in a school building that my kids happen to be in, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be sick. It's complete nonsense.

Trump is still on Twitter yelling that less testing would mean fewer cases, because as you know people flooding ICUs right now would just happily die at home to save his ego if they didn't get tested.

Trump is still on Twitter yelling that less testing would mean fewer cases, because as you know people flooding ICUs right now would just happily die at home to save his ego if they didn't get tested.
Your pneumonia epidemic is a completely separate and different thing and has nothing to do with the federal government. Covid is gone, that's just a lot of different sick people.

Brain damage.

The longer this goes on, the more it feels like someone's run on Plague, Inc. is going very well for them.

How's Madagascar? Have they closed their port yet?

NO YOU CAN'T. You don't have a ton of germ factories running around Home Depot and Walmart who WILL get you sick. (You may get sick after running around a Walmart, but not if you social distance. Children have NFC about "social distancing.)

Michigan's Governor continues to take no shit.

Since April, mask-wearing by citizens was required (via executive order), but many citizens choose to flagrantly ignore this mandate and continue to go about their business without any kind of face covering despite the signs posted at the entrance of just about every business mandating mask use as a condition of entry.

Well she's reached the end of her patience, and has now issued executive order 2020-147 that, as of this coming Mon July 13th, will require that businesses themselves actively refuse entry to people not wearing masks. From that order:

Research confirms that a big part of the reason is spotty compliance with my requirement, issued in prior orders, that individuals wear face coverings in public spaces. [...] This order reiterates that individuals are required to wear a face covering whenever they are in an indoor public space. [...] Most significantly, the order requires any business that is open to the public to refuse entry or service to people who refuse to wear a face covering. No shirts, no shoes, no mask—no service.
Cranky's reaction: "I don't know anything else about her, but I like her just for this. She's being such a Mom."

EDIT: I'm sure seeing signs like this figured into the decision.

nofilter.jpg

--Patrick

Last edited:
Michigan's Governor continues to take no shit.

Since April, mask-wearing by citizens was required (via executive order), but many citizens choose to flagrantly ignore this mandate and continue to go about their business without any kind of face covering despite the signs posted at the entrance of just about every business mandating mask use as a condition of entry.

Well she's reached the end of her patience, and has now issued executive order 2020-147 that, as of this coming Mon July 13th, will require that businesses themselves actively refuse entry to people not wearing masks. From that order:

Cranky's reaction: "I don't know anything else about her, but I like her just for this. She's being such a Mom."

--Patrick
A lot of businesses tried this but stopped when it became a physical threat to their workers. So it's going to be hard to enforce unless she's providing bouncers.

figmentPez

Staff member
Pathologist found blood clots in ‘almost every organ’ during autopsies on COVID-19 patients

“What we saw at autopsy was sort of an extension of that,” Dr. Amy Rapkiewicz, the chairman of the department of pathology at NYU Langone Medical Center, said. “The clotting was not only in the large vessels but also in the smaller vessels. And this was dramatic, because though we might have expected it in the lungs, we found it in almost every organ that we looked at in our autopsy study,"

A lot of businesses tried this but stopped when it became a physical threat to their workers. So it's going to be hard to enforce unless she's providing bouncers.
Can't charge people if there's no law, and this order means going maskless has now officially become a misdemeanor punishable with up to a $500 fine.
We had the same problem back when mandatory seat belt usage became a thing, even though the fines for that had a grace period where they started small before they rose to their current levels.
...though we might have expected it in the lungs, we found it in almost every organ that we looked at in our autopsy study,"
...so what you're really saying is... President Trump went on his medical vaycay because His Masklessness caught the novel coronavirus and then had some kind of COVID-related ischemic episode?

--Patrick

Can't charge people if there's no law, and this order means going maskless has now officially become a misdemeanor punishable with up to a $500 fine.
We had the same problem back when mandatory seat belt usage became a thing, even though the fines for that had a grace period where they started small before they rose to their current levels.

--Patrick
I'm talking about the liability of expecting their workers to physically stop people, not the requiring in and of itself.

I'm talking about the liability of expecting their workers to physically stop people, not the requiring in and of itself.
So are there no longer police in Michigan? Are store employees usually required to deal with tresspassers on their own

According to the order, businesses which allow unmasked patrons may experience temporary or permanent recision of their business license. There are no provisions for hiring enforcement, so I suppose if they cannot refuse ingress, the best they would be able to do would be to refuse service--refuse to put in their order, refuse to ring out their purchases, that sort of thing.

UPDATE: The mask mandate applies to individuals immediately. It is the business portion which does not take effect until the 13th.

--Patrick

I also assume that this is a veiled order that if you don't think you will be able to keep people from forcing their way into your business, you should just stay closed.

--Patrixk

It's an extra weapon in the store owner's arsenal though.
"I'm sorry sir,I'd love to serve you but if anyone sees me, it's me who gets fined, I can't take that risk".

Y'know, when this whole thing first started, I predicted that, after China, India would be the next big country to be hit bad. I thought India would probably have the worst outbreak among all countries in the world. I never imagined the US would do so much worse than India.

Y'know, when this whole thing first started, I predicted that, after China, India would be the next big country to be hit bad. I thought India would probably have the worst outbreak among all countries in the world. I never imagined the US would do so much worse than India.
You forgot to take Trump into account.