Coronavirus Thread

Y'know, when this whole thing first started, I predicted that, after China, India would be the next big country to be hit bad. I thought India would probably have the worst outbreak among all countries in the world. I never imagined the US would do so much worse than India.
Hey now, give them time. I know it's still paltry when you adjust per capita, but Modi is trying his best to catch up!

1594478952413.png

1594478998333.png

I never imagined the US would do so much worse than India.
I for one was expecting the initial numbers to be worse for the US, because, obviously, considering Trump.

But i assumed that after the first big wave of deaths even the idiots would catch on...

That is, until i read about that pastor guy that dismissed it and then got it from New Orleans etc, and his fucking kids where saying how confusing the media was being about it, and how they'd wish that would stop...

When your dad dies and you're still unwilling to call out the utter BS you side's media is spewing, that's when you're utterly hopelessly idiotic...

I still can't get the people at any of our local stores to take this seriously. Most businesses aren't enforcing mask rules, and neither is the county sheriff, or the local PD, or anyone else. It's bad enough that I was actually thankful when I stopped at Safeway for hotdogs and they were actually providing masks for people to enter the store with. Of course, most of the idiots couldn't put them on, wore them with their mouths exposed, or covered their eyes with them, because apparently stupidity is the only common trait in this part of the state.

I still can't get the people at any of our local stores to take this seriously. Most businesses aren't enforcing mask rules, and neither is the county sheriff, or the local PD, or anyone else. It's bad enough that I was actually thankful when I stopped at Safeway for hotdogs and they were actually providing masks for people to enter the store with. Of course, most of the idiots couldn't put them on, wore them with their mouths exposed, or covered their eyes with them, because apparently stupidity is the only common trait in this part of the state.
I suppose the one bright spot (and the reason I don't talk numbers around here) is that our county only has 54 cases, our town has none, and even if the 80% under-reporting number is correct (which I suspect it is), that puts my entire county at 270 cases.

There were a handful of people who walked into the donut shop where I went for lunch today who didn't have masks - despite it saying clearly on the door "MASKS REQUIRED".

Each one came back out immediately.
Post automatically merged:

Sadly, the quoted Twitter feed is gone. (Thanks, Disney!)

Florida has just posted an increase of 15,300 new cases today. I believe this is the highest single day increase for any state since the crisis began.

You know, that Disney "infomercial" is one thing I keep in the back of my mind every time I see little kids running around without masks.
Post automatically merged:

Florida has just posted an increase of 15,300 new cases today. I believe this is the highest single day increase for any state since the crisis began.
...do NOT make Arizona hold their beer.

I know shitting on Trump is the thing to do, but I do actually hope a few more people wear masks because of that photo.

jul10.png

Shockingly, Michigan, which used to be one of the hottest spots for coronavirus, is now the state with the longest time since last record total.
But yes, please go on about how Gov. Whitmer is "destroying the state" with her mandatory mask order over the weekend.

--Patrick

I keep hearing about the cases spiking, but with the 14-day period, death cases are bound to spike any minute, right? Like, I don't want anyone to die, of course, but just looking at the numbers, it's not looking good.

Of course, that's assuming the deaths are still being fucking reported.

I keep hearing about the cases spiking, but with the 14-day period, death cases are bound to spike any minute, right? Like, I don't want anyone to die, of course, but just looking at the numbers, it's not looking good.

Of course, that's assuming the deaths are still being fucking reported.
Narrator: "They were not."

Nope. Just down in many states but rising in Texas, Arizona, Florida
No, I'm talking European and Asian studies, too - more younger people being tested and better screening /reaction in homes for the elderly etc have caused the confirmed cases vs confirmed deaths ratios to change quite a bit.
Obviously there'll be many more dead Americans before things get better.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah work is already making noises that they might close.
Not actually saying they'll close, mind you. But doing the sort of chores, asking the sort of questions, etc. that would be relevant if we did have to close.

--Patrick