Coronavirus Thread

The Washington Post fucked up and left out half the message. Chovanec's original tweet is pretty clear that he's criticizing Trump.

(just a quick question, why is this in the politics forum? This seems much bigger than just that)

So, an update on what it's like getting screened for Covid-19 in Florida.

About a week ago I was potentially exposed to the virus because a coworker I work closely with was potentially exposed, having a live at home son that tested positive through the military.

Cut to the last few days, I've been having all the symptoms of a mild/asymptomatic case, with fatigue and cough that come and go. I manage a grocery store, one of only a few in this small town, so my job is unfortunately too essential to be able to shut down. Then, starting two days ago, I began to run a fever.

This was on a Saturday, so per our protocol I called out for work until I could get screened Monday, today. I go to the local healthcare center and get directed to a door at the back.

IMG_20200330_093226.jpg

Well this looks professional.

I get hooked up with a mask and brought inside.

IMG_20200330_094054.jpg

I like this mask, it really brings out my eyes.

Doctor finally comes in and I get interviewed. Even though I have all the symptoms, because I haven't had direct contact with anyone that's been tested and confirmed to have covid-19, and because I'm not likely in danger of dying to complications given the mildness of the symptoms, and because they are woefully undersupplied on tests, they deem that they can't test me. I openly wonder how you can have any confirmed cases if you don't test anyone, and all they can do is shrug their shoulders and clear me to go back to work.

I figured it was going to get super-political and I didn't want people to feel like that wasn't appropriate.
Politics are a part of everything right now, that's just the hellscape we live in. But fair enough
Post automatically merged:

And since our state is already doing so great:

View attachment 33433

Makes me wonder how many there really are.
Not testing is the same as flattening the curve, right?

Dave

Staff member
This this kind of does eclipse mere politics, if you guys want it moved I can move it to General and sticky it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I figured it was going to get super-political and I didn't want people to feel like that wasn't appropriate.
That's what I figured, and with the side benefit of keeping a very distressing subject in an easier to avoid area for people who don't want to be constantly reminded of the hellscape we live in.

Holy shit, Florida is doubling in cases every 3 days. If our bud Ravenpoe is any indication with how seriously the state is taking it, no wonder.

Well, you've now surpassed your first 9/11 worth of victims. How many 9/11s will it take for people to take this serious?

(Spoiler: no matter as long as only unimportant people die - the rich and famous get ventilators)

Germany is debating on that one has to wear a mask when outside.
I dont mind, but where do we get masks? Our hospitals are on short supply (some scumbag stole 1500 mask from the hospital one of my friends works at, hope that person gets found out and strung up by his/her nosehairs) and the common person has no chance at all at getting mask at a reasonable price, if at all.

@LordRendar coincidentally, just saw a link for these type of masks from eBay. Not sure if those prices are considered reasonable, but they don't seem too crazy. These aren't as good as N95 masks, but should be better than homemade ones.

The testing rules are bullshit, and feel like they only exist to keep the numbers down as much as possible.

I get that there are limited testing kits, but then we need to get more kits. If other countries can do it, we should be able to do it too. Instead it just feels like testing kits are being limited enough that doctors won't be able to test every possible case, then they can write that person off as just having some other illness, and the numbers stay down.

We already are seeing reports that local government officials are not even testing some of the people that die due to symptoms that match up with COVID19 but didn't get a previous test, because then they can just list it as regular pneumonia and keep that death count lower.

While keeping the numbers down may look good on paper, it's going to keep accelerating spread. We are already on point now to have the worst infection rate and death count in the world by the end of this year. We need proper testing so people take this shit serious.

I was told that democrats are the ones who don't support the troops.

Alternative joke:
I like the toops that don't get infected.

You know what scares me? What Viktor Orbán did in Hungary. It scares me because I know we could be a month away from the same thing here in the US and the only thing I can do is hope the House or the Supreme Court will be able to stop it.

For those who missed it, the Hungary parliament passed a Coronavirus Emergency bill that gives emergency powers to Viktor Orbán without any sunset clause, allowing him to "rule by decree" possibly indefinitely. The bill suspends parliament, cancels upcoming elections and suspends them as long as the powers are invoked (again, no sunset clause, it's completely up to Orbán when it ends), and adds new punishments for what the government considers fake news, allowing journalists to be locked up for five years is they report something the government considers "misleading".

This virus is a big deal, but we have to stay vigilant for those that would take advantage of it for power.