Coronavirus Thread

Meanwhile...
Oh, Covid-19 is threatening our military? NOW it's serious.
You know what scares me? What Viktor Orbán did in Hungary. It scares me because I know we could be a month away from the same thing here in the US and the only thing I can do is hope the House or the Supreme Court will be able to stop it.
With you 100% on this. I don't want a future where we end up having to revolt (again!) in order to regain our freedom.

--Patrick

So, while Florida might not be taking this whole thing very seriously, at least my employer is. HR just contacted me to let me know they are unconvinced by the doctors assessment that I can return to work and want me to stay out for at least a week before getting screened again. I'm also on unlimited sick pay during this.
Post automatically merged:

The entire industrial complex of the US should be shifting to test kits, ventilators & masks.

Okay enough. It's not that easy. You can't just make a ventilator because you want too. They are a highly controlled Class II medical device. You rush their production and you will put people in jeopardy. At my work we have a very limited scope for certification for breathing air devices and thay take four times as long as a normal item not used for breathing air. All that extra time is to ensure they are perfectly clean and sterile. That's why all the ventilator manufacturers are partnered with other companies. Their partners are their new supply chain of parts, Ford won't make a single unit but will make enough parts for their existing partner to ramp up production. And that is still months away.

So, while Florida might not be taking this whole thing very seriously, at least my employer is. HR just contacted me to let me know they are unconvinced by the doctors assessment that I can return to work and want me to stay out for at least a week before getting screened again. I'm also on unlimited sick pay during this.
Post automatically merged:

As of last year, my wife bailed from GE Aviation. Just in time as usual.

Okay enough. It's not that easy. You can't just make a ventilator because you want too. They are a highly controlled Class II medical device. You rush their production and you will put people in jeopardy. At my work we have a very limited scope for certification for breathing air devices and thay take four times as long as a normal item not used for breathing air. All that extra time is to ensure they are perfectly clean and sterile. That's why all the ventilator manufacturers are partnered with other companies. Their partners are their new supply chain of parts, Ford won't make a single unit but will make enough parts for their existing partner to ramp up production. And that is still months away.
I mean, compared to nothing, I'll take a less than sterile device if it means someone tries to save me vs automatic do not resuscitate because they don't have the equipment. Any port in a storm and all that.

Dave

Staff member
If the company CAN make them, do. If they can't then masks. If they can't then tests. If they can't do that then they find a way to support those companies who can. The right wants to say we're in a war? Then let's fucking treat it like one. We have the capability to make sure everyone is tested and hospitals are staffed and stocked. What we lack is the political will.

If the company CAN make them, do. If they can't then masks. If they can't then tests. If they can't do that then they find a way to support those companies who can. The right wants to say we're in a war? Then let's fucking treat it like one. We have the capability to make sure everyone is tested and hospitals are staffed and stocked. What we lack is the political will.
The problem with tests is not producing swabs -you can quite literally use any cotton swab. It's having a lab set up with the proper primers, which vangt easily be produced by factories.
Next to masks and gloves, coveralls are actually really useful. My gf now has to wash all clothes she wears, each day, every day, on 140°. She's none too pleased about ruining a whole lot of good clothes. Coveralls would help a lot for people directly facing patients.

Is he saying the president is bad at his job because he was too busy being on trial for being bad at his job?
No, he's blaming Democrats for distracting the current administration with their baseless witch hunt shenanigans.
Remember, the GOParty line is that the impeachment was a Democratic attempt to discredit Trump, and NOT a real indictment.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
No, he's blaming Democrats for distracting the current administration with their baseless witch hunt shenanigans.
Remember, the GOParty line is that the impeachment was a Democratic attempt to discredit Trump, and NOT a real indictment.
And, don't forget, impeachment is like the death penalty. It was a life or death situation that required all their attention.

Our work has suspended all current hiring, and is cutting back on the 401k matching already.
I’m pretty confident in my job security, seeing as all this new legislation is going to require updates to our software, but it’s worrying that they’re taking action so soon. But, maybe it’s a good thing they are preparing for the inevitable down turn.

Now would be a great time for Covid-19 to pop out of the box and shout "April Fools!" and reveal that everyone isn't really dead or dying.

If this isn't already in r/aboringdystopia, it should be:

New York City has offered Rikers Island's inmates personal protective equipment and $6 an hour to dig mass graves
A memo sent to prisoners, according to a source who reviewed it, does not specify what the work on Hart Island will be, but the reference to PPE leaves little doubt. [...] Hart Island, though, “has limited burial space,” the report noted, and “may not be able to accommodate [such] a large influx of decedents requiring burial,” which the preparedness plan estimated at between 50,000 and 200,000
First of all, the normal minimum wage in NY is $15/hr.
Second of all, that estimate is what they're modeling over the next few weeks.

I am now fully awake, thank you very much. And maybe a bit angry.

--Patrick

If this isn't already in r/aboringdystopia, it should be:

New York City has offered Rikers Island's inmates personal protective equipment and $6 an hour to dig mass graves

First of all, the normal minimum wage in NY is $15/hr.
Second of all, that estimate is what they're modeling over the next few weeks.

I am now fully awake, thank you very much. And maybe a bit angry.

--Patrick
$6/hr is a fortune compared to what they pay most prison labor. Sadly minimum wage laws don't apply to prisoners

Apparently my cousin has it and depending on how well he's been social distancing, and his three kids and wife, there is a very good chance this means a lot of my family back home have it. Including my Father.

Learning things minute by minute here.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Apparently my cousin has it and depending on how well he's been social distancing, and his three kids and wife, there is a very good chance this means a lot of my family back home have it. Including my Father.

Learning things minute by minute here.
I think we're going to be hearing a lot of stories like this one. A buddy of mine who lives in New Jersey has at least 5 friends in the hospital. Two of which are in intensive care.

We're looking at roughly the population of Roanoke, Virginia being gone in the U.S. by the time this is all said and done. Holy fuck.