Coronavirus Thread

The sad thing there are some people that connect the same dots but still vote for him, because they believe they will be Raptured while the rest suffer in Hell on Earth. A defeat to Trump would be another defeat to the prophecy of the End Times.
This is also why evengelicals like Israel.

The sad thing there are some people that connect the same dots but still vote for him, because they believe they will be Raptured while the rest suffer in Hell on Earth. A defeat to Trump would be another defeat to the prophecy of the End Times.
What a laugh on them when they discover the post-trib doctrine holders were right...

Meanwhile in Colorado, my county, which is red and conservative as fuck, has recommended that no one trick or treat this year. Which yes, is the right thing to do, but I did not expect my county to actually say so.

Police kill someone, cities protest and have public support. Buildings get damaged and the support goes way down. Thus, people care more about property than people.

I forgot who said it, but it was something to the effect of "covid has made it clear that the trauma from 9/11 was the loss of the buildings, not people."
I wouldn't even put it that way. What 9/11 took from us was a sense of security.

Before it, conflict was something that happened far away, in other nations. The Cold War had, for the most part, ended, and people grew comfortable in outside conflicts just being something the military handles, not something Joe in New York has to worry about. 9/11 changed all that, because not only did they take down symbols of New York, but did so with our own planes, and in the years after changed much of our way of life. Won't even get into the forever wars that have done nothing but bankrupt us, just to get even a smidge of that security back (at the cost of other freedoms).

There are some people that didn't care that nearly 3000 people died, only that it made them feel more vulnerable to outside actors, and dare I say is one reason xenophobia still lingers to such a high level even today.

Dave

Staff member
My sister called out of the blue today and we went to a spaghetti place for lunch. I had shrimp scampi with garlic (& garlic bread). I tasted nothing. Everything was bland and flavorless. I had my sister try some of the same thing (off of a different plate that I hadn't touched) and she said the flavor was strong. I got home and could smell my wife's candles and stuff, but don't know how strong they are supposed to be in the first place. It's like everything is suppressed.

So I called my friend who was just diagnosed. Yup, that's how his started. So I guess I get to go get tested again.

Just so sick of this shit. The not knowing but having clues. Fuck covid and fuck the right for letting this happen.

To be fair, you don't need to be on the right to completely mismanage Covid.
Belgium is currently the worst performer in Europe, with numbers rivaling the worst US states, and our government is literally "everyone and their cat and their dog, except the extreme right and nationalists". (technically, the communists aren't in the government either, but they've supported most government bills so far).

Crappy politicians who can't /won't stand up and take responsibility and postpone anything unpopular until the last minute are useless.
Populism, from either side or anywhere in between, is just incompetence. Leading does not mean following - and it doesn't mean being a tyrant, either.

figmentPez

Staff member
My mom wants to make plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So, some things I heard about COVID-19 today:

- It'll all be over by Christmas
- OSHA says that wearing masks is ineffective and can be harmful (No, they don't. They say the exact opposite.)
- All her sources say that COVID-19 was created by a lab in China. (She was shocked to hear that many pandemics come from diseases crossing from animals to humans.)
- Studies have shown that masks make no difference in infection rates. (Studies have found the opposite.)
- People don't die from COVID-19, they die from co-morbidities, and she's safe somehow because she's only over 60 and obese, so she's safe because her co-morbidities don't cause death, and she's got good vitamin D levels.
- Spikes in cases are random, unpredictable, and have nothing to do with how people are behaving.

I'm so fed up with this willful ignorance.

Last edited:
- All her sources say that COVID-19 was created by a lab in China. (She was shocked to hear that many pandemics come from diseases crossing from animals to humans.)
My mom basically said the same thing, and threw in something about AIDS and said "how else could it cross over to people?"

I told her "I know you've heard of rabies. Because you had to have a series rabies shots in your stomach as a little girl. I've heard the story a million times. People have known about rabies for a couple thousand years at least. You think they had biowarfare labs back then?"

She used to be such a logical person. I swear, conspiracy theories shut down critical thinking somehow.

figmentPez

Staff member
My mom basically said the same thing, and threw in something about AIDS and said "how else could it cross over to people?"

I told her "I know you've heard of rabies. Because you had to have a series rabies shots in your stomach as a little girl. I've heard the story a million times. People have known about rabies for a couple thousand years at least. You think they had biowarfare labs back then?"

She used to be such a logical person. I swear, conspiracy theories shut down critical thinking somehow.
To try to prove to me that masks are dangerous, she sent me a video from "BitChute" and Ben Swann (one of the promoters of pizzagate). I told her I have no interest in watching a video from someone who is willing to outright lie to promote his agenda.

EDIT: Then she linked me to a page from "Swiss Policy Research", a psuedo-science propaganda machine with no named people associated with it. The studies are a hodge-podge of barely applicable studies. One of which studied the effectiveness of reusing cloth masks for hospital workers. That has nothing to do with general use of masks. ARGH. I hate dealing with someone who is unable to apply a logical critique to the information they read.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
No one here believed this lie when it was spoken, but...

So, where are those 100 million doses of vaccine the White House Promised? Hmmm?

figmentPez

Staff member
News sites are starting to talk about Black Friday deals...

Black Friday, during a pandemic...

I did not need more terrifying thoughts today.

figmentPez

Staff member
Denmark plans to cull its mink population after coronavirus mutation spreads to humans

"Denmark will cull its mink population of up to 17 million after a mutation of the coronavirus found in the animals spread to humans, the prime minister said on Wednesday.

"Health authorities found virus strains in humans and in mink which showed decreased sensitivity against antibodies, potentially lowering the efficacy of future vaccines, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said."

"The worst case scenario is a new pandemic, starting all over again out of Denmark," said Kare Molbak, director at the State Serum Institute.