Christmas 2015

Had to jump the gun here....got my wife's Christmas present in today, and I wanted to show a pic of it before I had to wrap it

Sparkly :D[DOUBLEPOST=1449964581,1449964413][/DOUBLEPOST]Bought it and put it in to be sized like 2 weeks ago. It's been on TV a lot since then, and I keep pretending like it's a dumb ring. "Why would I get a ring that represents both your best friend and me?" "No..it means you're my best friend and husband." "that's just dumb"

;)

Ok, silly question: I'm trying to find a Christmas song, and it's a fairly well-known one, but I can't remember title or anything. It starts off fairly quietly with just - I think - a flute, and builds up canon-wise with more and more instruments 'till eventually an electric guitar comes in as well. I think it's completely instrumental. Also fairly sure it's an American song, which is why it isn't as well known over here...Anyone care to remind me? Sorry :oops:

fade

Staff member
Ok, silly question: I'm trying to find a Christmas song, and it's a fairly well-known one, but I can't remember title or anything. It starts off fairly quietly with just - I think - a flute, and builds up canon-wise with more and more instruments 'till eventually an electric guitar comes in as well. I think it's completely instrumental. Also fairly sure it's an American song, which is why it isn't as well known over here...Anyone care to remind me? Sorry :oops:

Maybe Tran-Siberian Orchestra's version of Carol of the Bells?

Stephan Pastis gets it...
It's almost like he had @HCGLNS write the script.

As soon as you say "electric guitar" then the most likely suspects immediately become Trans-Siberian Orchestra or Mannheim Steamroller.

--Patrick

Last edited:
That's the video I keep finding, too, but the one I'm thinking of is waaay more traditional and only has a bit of electrical guitar or whatever fairly at the end. I'll let you know once I figure it out and then you can all laugh at me because it's probably not at all what I describe :p

It's almost like he had @HCGLNS write the script.

--Patrick
Dear Family,

Judge me all you want, and watch how much I care.
Discuss politics all you want, I'll just water down your drinks.
I would love to look after your baby, they are for now a far better person than you. Also I will teach them that keys are toys.
The more you tell me how to run my life, the less input you will have in my life.
Brag all you want about your own life, I know the actual details
And finally, leave promptly.

That's the video I keep finding, too, but the one I'm thinking of is waaay more traditional and only has a bit of electrical guitar or whatever fairly at the end. I'll let you know once I figure it out and then you can all laugh at me because it's probably not at all what I describe :p
Well, I was going to say August Burns Red's Carol of the Bells until I saw this.

So maybe Trans-Siberian Orchestra's A Mad Russian's Christmas? Same's Christmas Canon Rock?

Not much to go on, really.

I tried to link to a collection of each of the groups' Christmas collections on YouTube, hopefully that'll help.

--Patrick

Wasted $50 on a gift for my in-laws that they won't enjoy, because they don't enjoy anything, because they are miserable, but I'll look on the bright side and consider it an investment in not having my wife's mother bitch at her for not getting them a gift. (Even if I'm the one who did the work.)

And I am DONE with shopping as of this morning. Spoiled my wife, but who gives a shit.

What Christmas specials is everybody watching? This year we're going through the Rankin-Bass stuff and it is so much weirder than I remember.

What Christmas specials is everybody watching? This year we're going through the Rankin-Bass stuff and it is so much weirder than I remember.
Yesterday I happened to catch two Henson oldies: Fraggle Rock Christmas and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas. It's been a loooooong time since I've seen either of those. They're still funny and it's great to hear Jim Henson's voice again.

Eh, nobody really misses Andy Creeggan that much.

--Patrick
haha, it's true. We stayed at a hotel in Winnipeg while BNL was there, and my buddy ended up in the elevator with them. Said that they are doing much better without him and they only laughed and thanked him.

One of the earcups in my headphones went out.
Found out the Fidelio X2 is on sale at Amazon.

It's gonna be a Merry Christmas :D

We watched Charlie Brown Christmas and The Polar Express yesterday.

I made a half joking comment on Facebook last year or the year before about messages in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer that don't translate well in today's way of thinking. One of my older cousins told me I needed to stop being an ass.

We watched Charlie Brown Christmas and The Polar Express yesterday.

I made a half joking comment on Facebook last year or the year before about messages in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer that don't translate well in today's way of thinking. One of my older cousins told me I needed to stop being an ass.
But it's true! There's some off shit in there. My best friend always narrows in on the "get the womenfolk home" bit near the end.

Then there's Santa shaking his fist at Mrs. Claus in Year Without a Santa Claus. Also didn't realize the kids who sit on Santa's lap are supposed to give Santa a kiss? Thanks, Santa Claus is Coming to Town.