Export thread

Christmas 2015

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Had to jump the gun here....got my wife's Christmas present in today, and I wanted to show a pic of it before I had to wrap it

Sparkly :D[DOUBLEPOST=1449964581,1449964413][/DOUBLEPOST]Bought it and put it in to be sized like 2 weeks ago. It's been on TV a lot since then, and I keep pretending like it's a dumb ring. "Why would I get a ring that represents both your best friend and me?" "No..it means you're my best friend and husband." "that's just dumb"

;)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Stephan Pastis gets it...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ok, silly question: I'm trying to find a Christmas song, and it's a fairly well-known one, but I can't remember title or anything. It starts off fairly quietly with just - I think - a flute, and builds up canon-wise with more and more instruments 'till eventually an electric guitar comes in as well. I think it's completely instrumental. Also fairly sure it's an American song, which is why it isn't as well known over here...Anyone care to remind me? Sorry :oops:

fade

fade

Ok, silly question: I'm trying to find a Christmas song, and it's a fairly well-known one, but I can't remember title or anything. It starts off fairly quietly with just - I think - a flute, and builds up canon-wise with more and more instruments 'till eventually an electric guitar comes in as well. I think it's completely instrumental. Also fairly sure it's an American song, which is why it isn't as well known over here...Anyone care to remind me? Sorry :oops:

Maybe Tran-Siberian Orchestra's version of Carol of the Bells?

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

Stephan Pastis gets it...
It's almost like he had @HCGLNS write the script.

As soon as you say "electric guitar" then the most likely suspects immediately become Trans-Siberian Orchestra or Mannheim Steamroller.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

That's the video I keep finding, too, but the one I'm thinking of is waaay more traditional and only has a bit of electrical guitar or whatever fairly at the end. I'll let you know once I figure it out and then you can all laugh at me because it's probably not at all what I describe :p

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's almost like he had @HCGLNS write the script.

--Patrick
Dear Family,

Judge me all you want, and watch how much I care.
Discuss politics all you want, I'll just water down your drinks.
I would love to look after your baby, they are for now a far better person than you. Also I will teach them that keys are toys.
The more you tell me how to run my life, the less input you will have in my life.
Brag all you want about your own life, I know the actual details
And finally, leave promptly.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I did an underwater/beach theme this year.

tree2015.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

View attachment 19902
I love the little sea turtles!

General Specific

General Specific

That's the video I keep finding, too, but the one I'm thinking of is waaay more traditional and only has a bit of electrical guitar or whatever fairly at the end. I'll let you know once I figure it out and then you can all laugh at me because it's probably not at all what I describe :p
Well, I was going to say August Burns Red's Carol of the Bells until I saw this.

So maybe Trans-Siberian Orchestra's A Mad Russian's Christmas? Same's Christmas Canon Rock?

Not much to go on, really.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I tried to link to a collection of each of the groups' Christmas collections on YouTube, hopefully that'll help.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

View attachment 19902
I read that as "underwear/bleach theme" and was looking for bras hanging on the branches.

That would be an interest twist on Deck the Halls.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I read that as "underwear/bleach theme" and was looking for bras hanging on the branches.

I don't want a bleached tree.

fade

fade

Must be that gay apparel I've heard so much about.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

tk421 pic 1.jpg

Dei

Dei

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Christmas Day = The Hateful 8.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Christmas Day = The Hateful 8.
That's a hell of a thing to call your family. Geez.

Dave

Dave

I got my wife a signed concert poster from one of her favorite bands. The band's lead singer was drummed out last year so you can't get these again.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wasted $50 on a gift for my in-laws that they won't enjoy, because they don't enjoy anything, because they are miserable, but I'll look on the bright side and consider it an investment in not having my wife's mother bitch at her for not getting them a gift. (Even if I'm the one who did the work.)

And I am DONE with shopping as of this morning. Spoiled my wife, but who gives a shit.

What Christmas specials is everybody watching? This year we're going through the Rankin-Bass stuff and it is so much weirder than I remember.

Celt Z

Celt Z

What Christmas specials is everybody watching? This year we're going through the Rankin-Bass stuff and it is so much weirder than I remember.
Yesterday I happened to catch two Henson oldies: Fraggle Rock Christmas and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas. It's been a loooooong time since I've seen either of those. They're still funny and it's great to hear Jim Henson's voice again.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas.
Bar-B-Q!

--Patrick

Adam

Adam

I got my wife a signed concert poster from one of her favorite bands. The band's lead singer was drummed out last year so you can't get these again.
Bare Naked Ladies???

Dave

Dave

Sick Puppies.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Bare Naked Ladies???
Eh, nobody really misses Andy Creeggan that much.

--Patrick

Adam

Adam

Eh, nobody really misses Andy Creeggan that much.

--Patrick
haha, it's true. We stayed at a hotel in Winnipeg while BNL was there, and my buddy ended up in the elevator with them. Said that they are doing much better without him and they only laughed and thanked him.

drifter

drifter

One of the earcups in my headphones went out.
Found out the Fidelio X2 is on sale at Amazon.

It's gonna be a Merry Christmas :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dear Santa

Just this, thanks.

Merry Christmas,
GB

Dei

Dei

But how would you fit spider legs on it?

GasBandit

GasBandit

But how would you fit spider legs on it?
On the bottom, duh.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

We watched Charlie Brown Christmas and The Polar Express yesterday.

I made a half joking comment on Facebook last year or the year before about messages in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer that don't translate well in today's way of thinking. One of my older cousins told me I needed to stop being an ass.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'd say pointing out the awfule messages in Rudolph and Baby its Cold Outside are practically a christmas tradition now.

fade

fade

Dear Santa

Just this, thanks.

Merry Christmas,
GB

that's a little too "Wall-e" for me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I made a half joking comment on Facebook last year or the year before about messages in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer that don't translate well in today's way of thinking. One of my older cousins told me I needed to stop being an ass.
But it's true! There's some off shit in there. My best friend always narrows in on the "get the womenfolk home" bit near the end.

Then there's Santa shaking his fist at Mrs. Claus in Year Without a Santa Claus. Also didn't realize the kids who sit on Santa's lap are supposed to give Santa a kiss? Thanks, Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

fade

fade

I'd say pointing out the awfule messages in Rudolph and Baby its Cold Outside are practically a christmas tradition now.
There are some pretty good essays on how baby it's cold outside is a mutual discussion about sex within the socially acceptable parlance of the time. Like she's giving all the required protestations but she's not really interested in leaving. After all, she keeps coming up with excuses. For example "what's in this drink" is supposedly a contemporary excuse for just having to go lie down in a mans quarters, and not a roofie/mickie reference. Etc.

Dave

Dave

GasBandit

GasBandit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Got a late start on the Christmas music, but this makes up for it...

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Ah, rape jokes. They never get old.

fade

fade

Propane and propane accessories.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Hank would be horrified by all those Ho's.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hank would be horrified by all those Ho's.
[DOUBLEPOST=1450303968,1450303731][/DOUBLEPOST]
There are some pretty good essays on how baby it's cold outside is a mutual discussion about sex within the socially acceptable parlance of the time. Like she's giving all the required protestations but she's not really interested in leaving. After all, she keeps coming up with excuses. For example "what's in this drink" is supposedly a contemporary excuse for just having to go lie down in a mans quarters, and not a roofie/mickie reference. Etc.
I actually often wonder if that old and now antiquated cultural bias that women were not allowed to act interested in sex (lest they appear as some sort of hussy) is why there is such a problem now with "rape culture."

Dei

Dei

Just put all of Pentatonix's Christmas music on my phone. Time to drive my husband mad as his love of Pentatonix wars with his dislike of Christmas music.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just put all of Pentatonix's Christmas music on my phone. Time to drive my husband mad as his love of Pentatonix wars with his dislike of Christmas music.
I want to get the albums, but I'm waiting for Feb.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Anyone need a Star Wars themed yule log?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I was at a loss how I was going to equal my friend's springing for Steeler tix last week, then I saw this...
For him, it's perfect. :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

The hashtagged middle finger emoji absolutely slays, but what got me going was "I can't believe you any more. What about the easter bunny, huh? The tooth fairy?"

Oh, sweet summer child.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I've always felt the whole Santa Claus thing was weird.

phil

phil

We celebrated today since my brother/sister in law/nephew will be in El Paso on the 25th.

I got my brother a drone. He let me fly it and of course it's in a neighbors yard now. Those suckers can really move! Hopefully they aren't out of town.

fade

fade

My younger sister never did Santa with her kids, and until yesterday, I thought it was due to the religious phase she was going through at the time. Nope. Found out she just thought it was too much work. Which surprises me far less.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Remember, kids, Santa is a time traveler. That's how he gets to everyone.

As for Christmas specials:

We watched Rudolph. It's really hard to hate that movie, but Santa is a dick. Then again, I can't blame him for not eating when his food was made from the same clay as the table and dishes.

Also watched Jack Frost (Rankin/Bass, not Michael Keaton). I legitimately enjoy this one, it's my favorite for its fairy tale aspects, but it's still really dumb. I also forgot it was a Groundhog's Day special. Also, "snow gypsies."

We tried to watch Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July--the opening to which is hilarious because the epic level music treats this like the crossover of the century--but while I remembered how bad it is, I did not realize it was 97 minutes long. No. Just, no. That's time my wife could be playing Fallout 4.

I think that's about it for Christmas specials. Might watch Die Hard, and then Christmas Eve it's time for (yay!) Muppet Christmas Carol, which I can't wait to watch again.

Covar

Covar

I avoid Tumblr, what's bad about Rudolph?

blotsfan

blotsfan

The moral is "bullying people is fine until they prove themselves to be useful to you."

Covar

Covar

The moral is "bullying people is fine until they prove themselves to be useful to you."
That seems to me like an "explain a movie badly" stretch to me. Rudolph basically has the same message as X-Men.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, Amazon wrote me today and said, basically, "Hey, you know that gift you ordered for your son a week ago, and we said if you ordered now, it'd be here before christmas? Well, we're out of stock. So tough luck. Even though we said it was in stock when you ordered it. But you can cancel your order and reorder from one of our other sellers (which we fulfill, so we really do have them in stock) for a 50% markup"

Fuck you amazon. Give me my 1 month extension on Amazon Prime. I'll go get it from Books A Million, where they have it on the shelves for the standard price.

Anyway, I tried to avoid the malls this year, but Christmas shopping is finally done.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I avoid Tumblr, what's bad about Rudolph?
I don't go on Tumblr either.
However, Rudolph has some real issues with sexism, e.g: Clarisse and Mrs. Donner are essentially told to obey their men when they have opinions (in that one whole line Mrs. Donner has). There is also the stereotypically overbearing Mrs. Claus hen-pecking her husband.
There is the message that if you're different in some way then you're worthless, which could also translate to being made fun of for a disability in Rudolph's case and some of the misfit toys (I still don't know what's wrong with that doll and I had a polka dot elephant as a kid, so nothing wrong there either). Hermie is also trying to better himself by entering into a profession, but he is shamed for wanting to rise above his station.
Also, Santa is not jolly. He's an asshole.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

However, Rudolph has some real issues with sexism, e.g: Clarisse and Mrs. Donner are essentially told to obey their men when they have opinions (in that one whole line Mrs. Donner has). There is also the stereotypically overbearing Mrs. Claus hen-pecking her husband.
There is the message that if you're different in some way then you're worthless, which could also translate to being made fun of for a disability in Rudolph's case and some of the misfit toys (I still don't know what's wrong with that doll and I had a polka dot elephant as a kid, so nothing wrong there either). Hermie is also trying to better himself by entering into a profession, but he is shamed for wanting to rise above his station.
Maybe Santa had the Thinner curse throughout the movie.

I noticed Hermey doesn't have pointy ears, so he might not even be an elf?

Also, never noticed before that Yukon Cornelius carries a revolver in his belt.

OH, I have to ask you guys because this confused the hell out of me--I've watched Rudolph many times since I was 3. I never saw a scene near the end where Yukon discovers a peppermint mine. Does anyone else recall this? Because that wasn't in the movie when we watched it on TV, but it came out of nowhere on the DVD during the finale when Rudolph is leading the sleigh team.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Maybe Santa had the Thinner curse throughout the movie.

I noticed Hermey doesn't have pointy ears, so he might not even be an elf?

Also, never noticed before that Yukon Cornelius carries a revolver in his belt.

OH, I have to ask you guys because this confused the hell out of me--I've watched Rudolph many times since I was 3. I never saw a scene near the end where Yukon discovers a peppermint mine. Does anyone else recall this? Because that wasn't in the movie when we watched it on TV, but it came out of nowhere on the DVD during the finale when Rudolph is leading the sleigh team.
There are different edits. The peppermint mine scene was deleted in 1965.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Must post this every year. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yah, eh?

Covar

Covar

Fair enough, I'm mostly thinking of the song. Some of your later compliants seem to be addressed in the end of the movie though. Hermie becomes a dentist, despite the adversity faced, the misfit toys IIRC get children, and Ruldoph becomes the greatest reindeer of all.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Well, since I complained about Amazon the other day, it's only fair that I praise them today.

I was expecting a package to arrive yesterday. Amazon said it was out for delivery by 8pm. It never showed up. So I looked at the tracking information. It left Amazon's warehouses on the 21st. The day it was supposed to be delivered. So, naturally, I expect it today.

I looked at USPS tracking, and it said it was delivered on the 20th. Since it only left Amazon's warehouses on the 21st, that seems impossible. Especially since nothing at all was delivered on the 20th (Sunday). The post office gave me the runaround saying the carrier claimed they delivered a couple of packages on Sunday. No, sorry, they did not. I was home all day. Nothing was delievered. They said "Well, we'll have the carrier look around" and blew me off. It was clear that she thought I was full of shit.

So I called Amazon, and they were able to apply more leverage/pressure than I could, I guess, and got an official case opened on the missing package. So maybe it'll turn up eventually.

This year's Christmas is turning into a comedy of errors. Not that my son will notice. He's got enough Christmas already. hah

Dave

Dave

There's a whole album of these. I laugh my ass off every damned time.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd pay a small amount of money to hear that playing in malls.

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

Yeah, the USPS has been pretty bad this year. I really hate that Flaviar uses them for all of their tasting packs.

Gared

Gared

On the positive side, it is just about time for the holiday baking and cooking to begin in earnest. My cookie cutters and cookie press don't get here until tomorrow, so sugar cookies, spritz cookies, and gingerbread cookies will have to wait, but today's list is shortbread, thumbprints, and pecan and buttermilk pies. Plus stock for soup and rice for fried rice for tomorrow's anniversary dinner.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

When I figured it out my mum always said that those who believe, receive.

I fielded some questions from our daughter last year and I didn't confirm or deny. I used my mum's quote and talked about how fun the idea of Santa is and explained that we don't spoil it for younger kids.

Emrys

Emrys

There's a whole album of these. I laugh my ass off every damned time.

:eek:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

USPS has been fine here, but UPS ... let's just say I'm fortunate to have honest neighbors. And honest people who live in an entirely different apartment building, but have the same door number. :facepalm:

On the other hand, a lot's been delivered. We got spoiled by my aunts this year. They must've appreciated us taking their kids off their hands for a week more than I realized.

BErt

In our family gift exchange, my brother only put "not wine" on his list. Fine, shit-head...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Incidentally, if anyone needs a 5 liter pouch of Franzia, I can accommodate you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Incidentally, if anyone needs a 5 liter pouch of Franzia, I can accommodate you.
Wooo! Time to get white-girl wasted!

BErt

Wooo! Time to get white-girl wasted!
Awww Yisss

Piotyr

Piotyr

Today's affirmation that the Christmas spirit is still alive...

PatrThom

PatrThom

if anyone needs a 5 liter pouch of Franzia, I can accommodate you.
Switch it out for a Tahitian Treat BiB at your local 7-11. Enjoy the results.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ok, now they're just being silly.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

I like how the middle one is prancing.

fade

fade

I just got back from visiting the family in SC. On the one hand, I enjoyed being around the family. I made a "no argument" vow, and I stuck to it despite all the baiting racist and sexist comments. On the other hand, I remember why I only go back every 2 years or so. Central SC in general has gotten really insular and even more conservative than it used to be, if possible. The place is odd, like time forgot it or something. It kind of looks like people don't even care about themselves, much less about other groups of people, and that just deepens a lot of the deep-seated hate that's in that area. Anyway, I was glad I got to see the family, especially since my parents, who have been healthy as horses for the most part, had a lot of health issues this year.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and peaceful New Year to all.
D (2).JPG

Celt Z

Celt Z

What else is there to do?
20151224_163058-1.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

What else is there to do?
View attachment 20022
Hah, I'm grilling tonight too. :D

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, is that a banana in your OH GOD HE'S JUST ENTIRELY ONE GIANT BANANA RUN FOR IT

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I have determined that I have a love/hate relationship with big holidays. I hate not having plans for them. But I don't really want to have plans with my family, because my parents basically just have dinner, and my other relatives just sit around and get drunk and watch TV. What I really want is to have a gathering where people get drunk and play board games, or party video games like Smash or Mario Kart and actually do shit instead of just sit around and make small talk for hours. So yeah, I feel lonely on Christmas, but it feels like such a lame problem to have because at least I have my husband and kids. But I have them every day. Does that sound really weird? :/

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

No it doesn't. I've been struggling for the past few days because my kids want to sit around the house and play together. Aussie's working. So I'm sitting around picking my nose. I can't visit family for obvious reasons. Local friends have plans of their own. So here I am.[DOUBLEPOST=1451006647,1451006573][/DOUBLEPOST]And don't get me wrong. It's nice that they want to play together, but damn. I don't want there to be a dramatic production because Mom wants to go to the beach.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Merry Christmas and happy holidays from our family to all of you :D

Zappit

Zappit

Tough Christmas for the family this year. Monday was the one year anniversary of his passing, and today would have been his birthday. We still had the family party, and even had a cake for him. Not a bad night - no bickering or moodiness. We were just trying to get through it and enjoy the night because that's what he would have wanted.

My mother periodically "talks" to him during private moments, and figured his spirit would be down in South Carolina with his brother. His brother lived on the Isle of Palms, and just asked him for a sign he was all right and watching. Since that conversation, she's seen several Isle of Palms references here and there, when we normally never see any; believe me, my mother never misses a South Carolina reference.

And there was another odd thing tonight. My father heard an owl as he took the dog out for her nightly walk. The last time we heard an owl, it was Thanksgiving, when my mother was really missing her father. In the 18 years we've lived in this area, those are the only two occasions we've seen/heard any owls. The timing just seems like it couldn't be completely random.

There's comfort in that.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Fajitas! Baking cookies! Prezzies! I even got in a little nap, plus Aussie brought home a bottle of wine that Santa might get into when he visits. :D

Tomorrow night we're going to a neighborhood that has 3 cul-de-sacs totally decorated in a Star Wars theme and the local chapter of the 501st Legion will be there!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Merry Christmas and happy holidays from our family to all of you :D
It's like you took a picture of a female Kringus.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm resisting the temptation to turn on the AC in this swampy winter wonderland.

Merry Christmas, folks!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My kids are crazy tonight. Noah forgot the words to the song even!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Why the hugs, @Gruebeard? Neither of us are Rangers fans, and we still appreciate what Joey Bats did in Pittsburgh. :)

BErt

My dad was a good man. He loved me and he tried really hard to make sure I had a good life. My only wish for a long time was to not end up like him, and that was not fair. I'm sorry dad and I love you. Thank you for everything. You deserved better from life. Merry Christmas.
image.jpeg

Emrys

Emrys

Why the hugs, @Gruebeard? Neither of us are Rangers fans, and we still appreciate what Joey Bats did in Pittsburgh. :)
Maybe he just wants to hug you. :unibrow:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

What she said.

It's like a brofist, but sweater. Er, sweeter.

evilmike

evilmike

christmas card.jpg

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Xmas brekky of waffles biscuits bacon coffee yogurt oranges and lemonade!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Guys... thanks to our friend, Mr. Z has a new outfit:
20151225_083259.jpg

And thanks to Mr. Z, so do I!

20151225_102133.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey.
Merry Christmahanukkwaanzakeid to all.
Soooo many cookies.

--Patrik

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

My necessary diet coke Christmas morning selfie. This time with a brand new Snuffles from Santa!

image.jpg

Dei

Dei

My son is playing with his new Anki Overdrive, my daughter is either complaining that he won't let her play, or crying that he's destroying her at it, take your pick. ;)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Merry Christmas everybody!

Dei

Dei

MIXING DC AND MARVEL. My daughter totally just married her new Starfire doll to our Captain America ornament.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Iron Man looks scorned.

Dei

Dei

Iron Man looks scorned.
"She's my true love"
"So was I"

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
Well, aside from her being 15 and him being, what, 90?

Dei

Dei

She's an alien, maybe they have different standards.

GasBandit

GasBandit

She's an alien, maybe they have different standards.
Well, to be fair, the show did try to marry her off to a horrible alien warlord to save her home planet.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You guys sucks! How am I the first person to call Dave and wish him a Merry Christmas?

Go Google his phone number and give him a call!

Operators are standing by!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Merry Christmas to all, and best wishes for a better 2016!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Eggnog breakfast casserole and a large cup of coffee. Presents are all opened. The kids are playing. It's a pretty good Christmas morning.

Emrys

Emrys

Peace, love, and happiness to all of you.

Dave

Dave

Merry Christmas to everyone from me and my family. And Fallout 4.

2015-12-25_00002.jpg

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

You guys sucks! How am I the first person to call Dave and wish him a Merry Christmas?!
My real family can never know you exist. They'd be jealous that I actually talk to you.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My real family can never know you exist. They'd be jealous that I actually talk to you.
You should give me you # and name. I will call an freak everyone out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I love and miss my aunts and their twin children, but there is no communication in that household.

Because of this, I got three copies of the same book, and two of the same shirt. They're crazy.

Gared

Gared

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Happy Christmas loves!

I hope everyone's day has been wonderful and that you got at least some joy today. Big hugs from me to you. =^^= :heart: :heart:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Merry merry, folks!

fade

fade

Some pics, for the interested, but probably don't mean much without context.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/fadecomic/VpQ4Ms

Man, I look haggard in South Carolina. It's like there's something in the air.
Also, I am a camera nerd. I think I used 4 different lenses and I set up an umbrella flash for Christmas morning. The tree area wasn't that bright.

Dei

Dei

OMG, We totally tried spatchcocking our turkey this time, and it is definitely the greatest thing. So glad it got mentioned in the Thanksgiving thread.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Some pics, for the interested, but probably don't mean much without context.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/fadecomic/VpQ4Ms

Man, I look haggard in South Carolina. It's like there's something in the air.
Also, I am a camera nerd. I think I used 4 different lenses and I set up an umbrella flash for Christmas morning. The tree area wasn't that bright.
Camera nerd is the best kind of nerd :)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

May your burgers be rare, and your little brothers yell at the PS3! That's how I'm celebratin', and I LOVE it!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Merry Christmas everyone.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Got this little round beauty today for my Christmas present from my wife.

A 50mm f/1.8 STM, already played with it some tonight, but have to practice a bit more, just from a few test shots of fireworks being set off next door I know that fireworks pictures are going to be much better now.

phil

phil

My secret Santa got me 20 bucks in blizzard bucks! And the Heroes of the Storm 50%off everything sale is still going on! It's a Christmas miracle!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Only the Chet Atkins record is physically younger than me.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

This was so cool.
IMG_0215.JPG

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Our Christmas tree just inexplicably fell forward. Lots of ornaments - many of the good ones - are broken.

It fell where you see the mess, but we leaned the tree against the chair in order to sweep.

Diomedes was nowhere near the tree, too. He generally steered clear of it, actually.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You can't have "tree inexplicably fell over" and "Diomedes was nowhere near it" in the same sentence. Haven't you heard about Chekov's cat?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Macavity is not there.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

A version of Schrodinger's cat, maybe?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I mean, I know the statement "He was nowhere near the tree" is probably 100% true. The trouble is that you have to append "...by the time it hit the ground" to the end of that.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Wassail is on the stove. Prime rib in the oven. Trying to figure out how I can transport the batter for Yorkshire pudding to my friends' house without it getting warm.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I love Yorkshire pudding. I can't make it very well though so I must rely on family members :)

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I love Yorkshire pudding. I can't make it very well though so I must rely on family members :)
This is my first time. I'm a pudding virgin. LOL

Emrys

Emrys

This is my first time. I'm a pudding virgin. LOL
Let me be the first to say...

How you doin'? :unibrow:

fade

fade

I always like that Pampers commercial with the really simple version of Silent Night sung in the background.

Bubble181

Bubble181

FINALLY figured out what it was. Mike Oldfield's version of In Dulce Jubilo. Which I still really like and really fits the description, btw.

PatrThom

PatrThom

For the curious.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Good Christian Men Rejoice."

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Good Christian Men Rejoice."
Yeah, I remember it.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

fade

fade

FINALLY figured out what it was. Mike Oldfield's version of In Dulce Jubilo. Which I still really like and really fits the description, btw.
Never heard of that one before.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nor had I, and I have more than a little Oldfield.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nor had I, and I have more than a little Oldfield.

--Patrick
Ya know, this surprises me; it's easily in the top 100 most played on radio Christmas songs around here. Weird. Does explain why you couldn't help me find it :p

fade

fade

I always get post-Christmas blues. It's like, "HERE, have lots of fun and goodwill for a few weeks! Okay now suddenly stop!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

I always get post-Christmas blues. It's like, "HERE, have lots of fun and goodwill for a few weeks! Okay now suddenly stop!"
I have a theory that the longer the buildup to Xmas lasts, the longer the hangover from NYE will be.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

I get to go to my favorite food truck today, because I got some money from my aunt! I am happy dancing in the name of shrimp tacos!

My Christmas tree is sad and crunchy, I'm back at work grading papers, and I feel as fat as a walrus (I could also use a lip wax, incidentally). But I'm still riding high from all the holiday fun.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I'm always kinda glad when it's over. The longer the buildup, the more glad I am

fade

fade

I'm always kinda glad when it's over. The longer the buildup, the more glad I am
Weird thing is I get some of this too. Like I'm still on vacation but I'm kind of anxious to go back and make a new start too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Definitely ready to be done with holiday foods. It's good stuff, but it needs to be gone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Definitely ready to be done with holiday foods. It's good stuff, but it needs to be gone.
We cleaned the fridge.
We filled the entire dish rack with cleaned-out storage bowls & stuff.
Fridge still looks packed.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, late I know, but finally got around to importing all my photos, so now I finally get to post pics of the Christmas Eve spread:
IMG_1938.jpg

From the glass plate on the left, going clockwise spiral along the outermost edge:
Deviled eggs w/ tuna & capers, red & green pepperoncini, mixed cured meats (mortadella, prosciutto, capricola, salame), crackers&breadsticks&toasts, goat cheese w/ lemon&herb spread, herbed olive oil for dipping, baguette slices, shrimp cocktail on ice, mixed cheeses (gorgonzola, italian truffle cheese, toscano w/ black pepper, asiago w/ rosemary), crostini w/ bean paste & grilled polenta triangles w/ yogurt cheese and tomato/olive topping, mixed olives & marinated mushrooms & giardiniera & prosciutto and goat cheese roulades, lemon and rosemary seasoned roasted hazelnuts, more bean paste and tomato/olive topped crostini, candy tray with fudge & window pane cinnamon candies & cashew and lemonhead white chocolate bark, cookie tray of various yummy cookies, gingerbread tree, parmesan stuffed dates, and another delicious cookie tray.
IMG_1936.jpg

From L to R: Mulled cider, arroncini bites, pizzatinis*, parmesan puff pastry pups, Moscato d'asti, Prosecco, and sparkling white grape juice for the kiddies. The herbed olive oil makes a repeat appearance from the other picture.

--Patrick
*They weren't actually pizzas, but what else are you going to call toasted cheese-covered dough?