Christmas 2015

USPS has been fine here, but UPS ... let's just say I'm fortunate to have honest neighbors. And honest people who live in an entirely different apartment building, but have the same door number. :facepalm:

On the other hand, a lot's been delivered. We got spoiled by my aunts this year. They must've appreciated us taking their kids off their hands for a week more than I realized.

B

BErt

In our family gift exchange, my brother only put "not wine" on his list. Fine, shit-head...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Incidentally, if anyone needs a 5 liter pouch of Franzia, I can accommodate you.

fade

Staff member
I just got back from visiting the family in SC. On the one hand, I enjoyed being around the family. I made a "no argument" vow, and I stuck to it despite all the baiting racist and sexist comments. On the other hand, I remember why I only go back every 2 years or so. Central SC in general has gotten really insular and even more conservative than it used to be, if possible. The place is odd, like time forgot it or something. It kind of looks like people don't even care about themselves, much less about other groups of people, and that just deepens a lot of the deep-seated hate that's in that area. Anyway, I was glad I got to see the family, especially since my parents, who have been healthy as horses for the most part, had a lot of health issues this year.

I have determined that I have a love/hate relationship with big holidays. I hate not having plans for them. But I don't really want to have plans with my family, because my parents basically just have dinner, and my other relatives just sit around and get drunk and watch TV. What I really want is to have a gathering where people get drunk and play board games, or party video games like Smash or Mario Kart and actually do shit instead of just sit around and make small talk for hours. So yeah, I feel lonely on Christmas, but it feels like such a lame problem to have because at least I have my husband and kids. But I have them every day. Does that sound really weird? :/

No it doesn't. I've been struggling for the past few days because my kids want to sit around the house and play together. Aussie's working. So I'm sitting around picking my nose. I can't visit family for obvious reasons. Local friends have plans of their own. So here I am.[DOUBLEPOST=1451006647,1451006573][/DOUBLEPOST]And don't get me wrong. It's nice that they want to play together, but damn. I don't want there to be a dramatic production because Mom wants to go to the beach.

Zappit

Staff member
Tough Christmas for the family this year. Monday was the one year anniversary of his passing, and today would have been his birthday. We still had the family party, and even had a cake for him. Not a bad night - no bickering or moodiness. We were just trying to get through it and enjoy the night because that's what he would have wanted.

My mother periodically "talks" to him during private moments, and figured his spirit would be down in South Carolina with his brother. His brother lived on the Isle of Palms, and just asked him for a sign he was all right and watching. Since that conversation, she's seen several Isle of Palms references here and there, when we normally never see any; believe me, my mother never misses a South Carolina reference.

And there was another odd thing tonight. My father heard an owl as he took the dog out for her nightly walk. The last time we heard an owl, it was Thanksgiving, when my mother was really missing her father. In the 18 years we've lived in this area, those are the only two occasions we've seen/heard any owls. The timing just seems like it couldn't be completely random.

There's comfort in that.

Fajitas! Baking cookies! Prezzies! I even got in a little nap, plus Aussie brought home a bottle of wine that Santa might get into when he visits. :D

Tomorrow night we're going to a neighborhood that has 3 cul-de-sacs totally decorated in a Star Wars theme and the local chapter of the 501st Legion will be there!

B

BErt

My dad was a good man. He loved me and he tried really hard to make sure I had a good life. My only wish for a long time was to not end up like him, and that was not fair. I'm sorry dad and I love you. Thank you for everything. You deserved better from life. Merry Christmas.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son is playing with his new Anki Overdrive, my daughter is either complaining that he won't let her play, or crying that he's destroying her at it, take your pick. ;)