Build your own computer guide

GasBandit

Staff member
That's definitely a pretty good build. I wasn't trying to make you feel worse, just joking about the very common perception that PC building is hard, when the reality is that these day's it's no harder than putting up a tent - with a lot less physical exertion.

That said, if you're gonna put this off for several months because of money... you might want to re-check your list for price fluctuations immediately before you order. There might be a better deal. Especially for the video card.

This page is my mantra: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

The Ryzen? It's really a 2700.
The graphics card (5700xt) was current generation, so I wondered if the CPU was a typo. The 2700 may not be the latest, but it is still plenty capable for today’s stuff. And they’re cheaper now that the 3000’s are out.

And that case is HUUUUUGE. You could practically live in it if only the side panel wasn’t clear. Glass houses and all.

—Patrick

That's definitely a pretty good build. I wasn't trying to make you feel worse, just joking about the very common perception that PC building is hard, when the reality is that these day's it's no harder than putting up a tent - with a lot less physical exertion.

That said, if you're gonna put this off for several months because of money... you might want to re-check your list for price fluctuations immediately before you order. There might be a better deal. Especially for the video card.

This page is my mantra: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
Thank you! And I'll be sure to double check before I buy. :)

The graphics card (5700xt) was current generation, so I wondered if the CPU was a typo. The 2700 may not be the latest, but it is still plenty capable for today’s stuff. And they’re cheaper now that the 3000’s are out.

And that case is HUUUUUGE. You could practically live in it if only the side panel wasn’t clear. Glass houses and all.

—Patrick
Oh, yeah, no, I thought about doing the 3700, but I think the 2700 will be powerful enough for what I need and cheaper, so. ://// That's why.

IT IS. And I'm gonna be that person that vomits RGB all up in there - just red though.

Most everything these days on a PC is made-to-fit...most of the cables fit into the motherboard in specific locations and it's nearly impossible to put them in the wrong place.

the place you might have the most issues (depending on your case) is plugging in all of the case wires into the motherboard spots for them.
1581476633528.png

This is literally the shittiest part of building a computer, and I hate it every time I have to do it. Some cases organize the wires better than others.

Everything else looks like this:
1581476728566.png

Specific shaped cables going into specific shaped spots.

YOU KNOW. I thought about it, but?? I dunno. Would you guys wanna watch? I'll still probably ask my friends' friend to help me, so it would probably just be me and him, with me awkwardly running around in the background. Yay, nay?
Post automatically merged:
Awkwardly running around in the background... in costume?

Heck, maybe that should be your streamer niche. Doing everyday stuff in costume. Might attract weirdos, though. Well, even more weirdos than us.

Heck, maybe that should be your streamer niche. Doing everyday stuff in costume. Might attract weirdos, though. Well, even more weirdos than us.
Haha, I mean I could.

:rofl:You’re not wrong!! I could do that.
I do have an idea already of what I want my stream life to be - I want to stream games that I think would’ve been popular if streaming had been around back then. The games that have been left to time because they’re not the classic classics but old enough that everyone’s forgotten them, like Sly Cooper or Jak and Daxter, Guitar Hero even. I think it will be fun. And also Rocket League because my obsession with that game is...real damn high.

Heck, maybe that should be your streamer niche. Doing everyday stuff in costume.
I mean, there's precedent.
The 2700 is an excellent value, and as you say, pretty much powerful enough for just about anything, including VR (especially when paired with a 5700xt).
The 2700 is more or less equivalent in speed to the 3600. The 3600 is a smidge faster, but the 2700 has two more cores and is $50 less, so yeah, excellent value.
the place you might have the most issues (depending on your case) is plugging in all of the case wires into the motherboard spots for them.
View attachment 32845

This is literally the shittiest part of building a computer, and I hate it every time I have to do it. Some cases organize the wires better than others.
I like the motherboards that include a header where you assemble all your cables onto a block and then just plug the block into the board. SO much easier.
960 GB SSD?!? Almost a TB SSD. God damn.
Shh...nobody tell Dave about the ~4TB Kingston DC450R.

--Patrick

I'm with you in regards to hoarding. I've got 8TB of HDD installed in my pc currently. Only 480GB of SSD.

VERY nice build. Better than mine, actually. :(

I would recommend a better cooler than stock. The MSI Core Frozr L is top notch.
thank you for the suggestion! I like my choice of the Corsair H115i though (especially when paired with the 2700). :) And I’ll have 3+ RGB fans in there as well - Antec Prizm 140 and 120’s.

Last edited: