Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

Dave

Staff member
I can't even fathom the kind of tard that tries to keep a 5.5" phone in a pants pocket.

Jesus fucking christ. This dude is a self-proclaimed "Graduate Product Designer (and injured cyclist) currently freelancing." (Emphasis mine.)

Graduate, huh? Then fucking learn the difference between "their" and "there", you fucking moron!

Hmm. Apple sells 10 million phones, receives nine complaints of bent phones. Internet goes crazy, not because there's a problem, but because it's the only problem they can possibly come up with to point and laugh at a company that makes over 170 billion dollars each year.
Don't forget the rumors that the CEO of said company might be GAAAAAAAYYY...

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Hmm. Apple sells 10 million phones, receives nine complaints of bent phones.

Internet goes crazy, not because there's a problem, but because it's the only problem they can possibly come up with to point and laugh at a company that makes over 170 billion dollars each year.
No kidding. Good luck getting a 0.00009% failure rate on your product.

Hasn't every other mobile browser for at least the past 5 years been able to identify as a desktop browser in order to avoid that shit?

fade

Staff member
I mean, you could always just download an alternate browser. On the other hand, Safari is usually way ahead of the curve on CSS support and memory consumption.

Chrome is not yet scaled for the iPhone 6 or 6+. I wouldn't care except the browser viewport gets blown up along with the UI. Until they fix it I've been using Safari. Having not used it since iOS 6 I've got to say it's a big improvement from before.

The 5k retina iMac is only 220dpi. They'll call anything retina these days.
Well, the iMacR vertical resolution is the same as the horizontal resolution of the MBPr15 (2800 pixels). In fact, it's almost the same as stacking 3 of the MBPr displays sideways. (5120 v. 5400). That's a lot of pixels.
I'm not exactly sure what I would do with that many pixels, but it's sure a lot more pixels than that doofus Bill has in accounting. You hear that, Bill?

--Patrick

The 5k retina iMac is only 220dpi. They'll call anything retina these days. Still a very nice display, but I'm not shelling out $2,500 for it.

All the ipads just dropped in price by $100, though, so I will finally replace my stolen ipad and transfer my at&t unlimited data plan to it.
[DOUBLEPOST=1413493796,1413493412][/DOUBLEPOST]
The 5k retina iMac is only 220dpi. They'll call anything retina these days.
the dpi and the marketing definition of retina apple uses means my 1080p TV is retina. Can't distinguish individual pixels from the standard viewing distance.​

But I know people who are perfectly happy with 720p, so as far as I'm concerned, this is a Steak Discussion™
I thought you were saying that it was entirely up to personal preference and no one was right or wrong, but now I'm confused on your analogy. :confused:

GasBandit

Staff member
The new macbook only has one (USB-C) port. Yes, one port only - and you have to charge the macbook through that port, too. But they'll sell you an adapter for 80 bucks.

fade

Staff member
"Can we please get rid of all these ports and the obsolete drives?"

"Okay, we did that."

"THESE ASSHOLES GOT RID OF ALL THE EXTRA PORTS AND DRIVES!"

GasBandit

Staff member
"Can we please get rid of all these ports and the obsolete drives?"

"Okay, we did that."

"THESE ASSHOLES GOT RID OF ALL THE EXTRA PORTS AND DRIVES!"
Who the heck asked for less ports?

Obsolete drives? The last few years have proven to most how utterly not-ready-for-prime-time the "cloud" is. The only reason I don't use USB sticks more is I use FTP for most of my transfers :p

I could do without my internal DVD rom drive. I never use that thing. But ports? yeah, who would ever want fewer ports?

GasBandit

Staff member
Ehhhhh I dunno... the long experience of having to reinstall windows every 3 or 4 years makes me queasy at the thought of giving up a bootable optical drive, even though I know perfectly well bootable USB drives are a thing, and have used them on numerous occasions myself.

Who the heck asked for less ports?
Obsolete drives? The last few years have proven to most how utterly not-ready-for-prime-time the "cloud" is. The only reason I don't use USB sticks [because] I use FTP for most of my transfers :p
...you just did?

--Patrick

I want the option, though. I didn't ask for less ports.
For what it's worth, I don't really think you (or I) are the target audience. I'm sure it's more for people who either want the increase in portability (due to its weight loss) or for those folks who could fit all their personal belongings in a 10x10 storage unit.

--Patrick

For what it's worth, I don't really think you (or I) are the target audience. I'm sure it's more for people who either want the increase in portability (due to its weight loss) or for those folks who could fit all their personal belongings in a 10x10 storage unit.

--Patrick
So, people that buy macbooks :troll:

My Facebook feed is sadly congested with people raving about the New and Improved and Revolutionary new MacBook. When I said it was basically an iPad with a keyboard they got mad and insisted it was a valid computer. That you can't actually work at or play any games on, or play a cd on, or do anything on except, you know, media-y stuff you could also do on an iPad, I guess?
*shrug*
I'm not the target audience, that much is for sure :p

I expect that, much like how the original MacBook Air with its single USB port and flip-down door eventually got refined into something much better (2x USB ports, SSD, better display output, longer battery life), this new model will get similarly fleshed out once Apple perfects the brand new keyboard & new interface and once Intel finally gets their Skylake act together in the second half of this year. It took 'em two years with the Air before the platform was solidified, we'll see what happens to this one...if they don't get too distracted by the whole Watch thing, that is.

--Patrick

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
I am a heavy computer user. I program in about 10 languages (often for fun). I browse, I play games, I watch movies. I use Adobe movie and still picture products like crazy (for the webcomic among others). I present technical talks and short courses for work. All that being said, I in all serious honesty cannot remember the last time I needed more than a single USB port, and even that is rare. I plug in a keyboard and mouse to my PC, but that's it. Other than backing up stuff, I haven't used an optical drive in ages. Almost everything is downloaded now.

Now that being said, I'm not 100% behind this change--I just wanted to make the joke. I think it's a step too far. It could've done with a separate power port. And the built-in SD reader. But it's hardly the first laptop to drop an optical drive.

People have been asking for fewer ports for years! Firs serial ports and parallel ports. Then modems. Ethernet makes sense, because I have used the Ethernet port maybe once on my current Macbook Pro. I think for the mainstream user, this isn't that odd.

1 for my keyboard. 1 for my mouse. 1 for my external HD. 1 for my card reader. 1 to plug in my camera to charge it. 1 as a power port. 1 for an external optical drive, given it doesn't have one. 1 for diverse - hand warmer, miniature christmas tree, coffee cup holder, what have you. Plenty of uses for a USB port. Yes, making things smaller. But the book wouldn't be any thicker or lumpier with 2 or 3 USB ports next to one another, now would it?

What people have mostly been asking for is fewer different types of ports, not necessarily fewer over all. USB has pretty much done that, but only having one that is shared with your power cord? Silly. Getting rid of the optical port and even ethernet is fine, many laptops already do that.

fade

Staff member
1 for my keyboard. 1 for my mouse. 1 for my external HD. 1 for my card reader. 1 to plug in my camera to charge it. 1 as a power port. 1 for an external optical drive, given it doesn't have one. 1 for diverse - hand warmer, miniature christmas tree, coffee cup holder, what have you. Plenty of uses for a USB port. Yes, making things smaller. But the book wouldn't be any thicker or lumpier with 2 or 3 USB ports next to one another, now would it?
Probably, yes. Not for the data bus, but for the power bus. 5V at what, ~2A capacity each? That's fairly beefy, and the power requirements shoot way up, meaning bigger power infrastructure, too.

Well, ok, only 1 USB then. But ZERO, and pay extra if you want one? Come on, it's bulshit.

This reminds me of something that happened the other day at a meeting. A colleague wanted to hook her macbook to a projector to present her latest paper and whatnot, and it wasn't working. So I got a netbook and we transferred her presentation in pdf (via usb, heh), and when I was about to connect the netbook to the projector she asked: do you have the proper adapter for that*? And I was like, what, I don't need an adapter, this is a standard connection... And her reaction was: 'Wow!! That's so cool!' She was SURPRISED :facepalm:

*I guess she meant the adapter for my model, because, you know, even if I had a mac I probably couldn't use her adapter unless it was from the same generation or whatnot