Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

I know it improved a lot from 6 to 7. If you gave up on in back in iOS 6 you probably just missed it.

I tuned into the TWiT Live feed as they're setting up for their coverage. It's fun watching the behind the scenes as they get setup, and making fun of the over-analyzing that gets done before the announcement.

fade

Staff member
The big announcement is that they are activating the mind control wave in every iDevice. Jobs's consciousness will be uploaded to all users a la Agent Smith.

fade

Staff member
Seriously, though, all the leaks were pretty much dead on as usual. Curved front, thinner, two sizes. The bigger one is called the 6 plus. Faster processor than 99% of users will never take advantage of.

fade

Staff member
As anticipated, there's a watch, and it's quite nice. That being said, I just don't see the place for it when I've got something that does the same and more sitting in my pocket.

People probably said the exact same thing when wrist watches were developed. I much prefer my watch to my phone when it comes to checking the time. I think Apple ties Motorola for nicest looking smart watch. They were also smart enough to make it two different sizes.

As anticipated, there's a watch, and it's quite nice. That being said, I just don't see the place for it when I've got something that does the same and more sitting in my pocket.
I haven't followed the reveal real close. Does the watch come with GPS? It would be nice to leave the phone behind on a run or bike ride and have the watch store your activity until you get back and can sync it.

I haven't followed the reveal real close. Does the watch come with GPS? It would be nice to leave the phone behind on a run or bike ride and have the watch store your activity until you get back and can sync it.
I don't think so? I'm watching the stream, and the guy running the demo is showing off the map app and hasn't mentioned the GPS.

fade

Staff member
I was warming up to the watch the more they showed. Then they showed the price. $349

if it has the build quality of a similar watch of that price it will be a great value. As far as smart watches go you don't have much options, either get a new phone or a pebble.

Also true. I have friends who've paid $300 for watches that do way less.
I've had coworkers who've paid $600 for a watch, if you can believe it.
And then they show it off to anyone within arm's reach.

Also, store webpage is still down.

--Patrick

The bigger phone would require me to re-tailor the pockets of most of my pants. And possibly get finger-extenders (I have short fingers for my palm size).

I don't wear a watch now, why would I want to start? I suppose it's a handy "tethered" sensor for software that wants to be on your skin and in your pocket simultaneously, much like a TNG tricorder. I'm more interested in the fact that the 6's screen resolutions are 720 and 1080, and the fact that 32GB was dropped as an option.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Personally, I'm not interested in a watch I have to recharge constantly, as opposed to just buying a cheap battery every couple years.

Also, Google and Windows should be thanking Apple.

By forcing carriers to accept secure-NFC connections as a payment system (which Verizon and AT&T blocked when Google & Windows tried it in order to promote their own NFC system with separate accounts and carrier-only transactions), Apple has opened the way to them possibly being able to use theirs to the full functionality they wanted before.

I wonder how much of the one-handedability is a function of the UI, not the dimensions.

--Patrick
Things like the curved edges can also make a big difference.

I'm still debating whether to get the 6 or the 6 plus. Right now I'm leaning toward the 6 Plus for optical image stabilization in the camera lens.

fade

Staff member
Every time iOS absorbs a feature into the core OS, the Android fanboys seem to mistake that for meaning that you were never able to do that thing on an iPhone before. Which is funny, because usually the same 3rd party app they point out that they were using on their phones was also on iPhone the whole time. I don't really care which phone someone uses, personally, but I do dislike smug, unfounded superiority from either camp.

Ooo, not me.

Now, get two watches and mount them into a wearable Oculesque sort of display, and you might be onto something.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ooo, not me.

Now, get two watches and mount them into a wearable Oculesque sort of display, and you might be onto something.

--Patrick
HA HA HA HA...

Can't you imagine? People walking around with their wrists smushed over their eyes, their hands jammed together back-to-back, curled out in front, elbows to the sides, blindly staggering about to move in-game, flicking and flexing their fingers to control "clicks?" Stumbling into traffic and bumping into walls