Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

1 for my keyboard. 1 for my mouse. 1 for my external HD. 1 for my card reader. 1 to plug in my camera to charge it. 1 as a power port. 1 for an external optical drive, given it doesn't have one. 1 for diverse - hand warmer, miniature christmas tree, coffee cup holder, what have you. Plenty of uses for a USB port. Yes, making things smaller. But the book wouldn't be any thicker or lumpier with 2 or 3 USB ports next to one another, now would it?
Welp, looks like they'll have to come out with a new one of these for the new USB standard.

View attachment 17729

--Patrick
...and 1 for this.

I'm a huge Apple fanboy, and this one looks more like Apple can't quite figure out where they want to take the Air in the future, and so they're splitting the difference.

The Macbook has a (debatably much) worse processor, worse on-board graphics, worse webcam, only one port besides the headphone jack, and will cost notably more, but has a better screen, more RAM, more storage, and loses a pound in weight (def not nothing from a portability, perspective).

I would consider the one port a real negative, but that's more because a one-port approach to a computer would be extremely unhelpful to me, not necessarily other folks.

A lot of this will probably come down to how capable the Core M is in practice (I've heard not much, but we'll see once the public really gets its hands on it).

Google just released a new chrome book pixel with usb-c as well. They were smart enough to put in 2 of them though, one on each side. Which means you can plug in the power cord on either side. Genius! :p

Actually, the loss of Magsafe actually seems like a big issue, now that I'm thinking clearly.

I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally yanked out of the power chord of a laptop I've owned by walking into the chord.

The two Windows laptops got pulled to the floor, though fortunately neither broke. The various Macbooks have all popped out easy as you please. Hmmm.

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually, the loss of Magsafe actually seems like a big issue, now that I'm thinking clearly.

I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally yanked out of the power chord of a laptop I've owned by walking into the chord.

The two Windows laptops got pulled to the floor, though fortunately neither broke. The various Macbooks have all popped out easy as you please. Hmmm.
Hmmm indeed. With a superlight device such as the macbook air, that cord trip could very well smash the darn thing against a wall like a ballista bolt.

I've always thought the title for this thread was really weird. Many things come to mind when I think of apple hardware, none of them are 'cheap'

Maybe the title literally means that they can't do it for you! I mean, that's how I choose to think of it. ;)

My TL;DR reaction to the announcements

Apple Watch - cute, still don't care for that price or that battery
AppleTV - impressive, but pricey for what improvements it realistically delivers over AppleTV 3. Easy upgrade choice if you have AppleTV 2 or earlier.
iPad Pro - very impressive on a capabilities level, but really, it needed to be an Apple Surface Pro, not an inflated iPad.
iPhone 6s - nice solid update, 3D Touch looks like it could open a huge door to other interface types, Apple's carrier-free annual upgrade plan is actually pretty darn aggressive because fuck Verizon. I have a 5s, so I'm feeling like this will be a good upgrade for me.

AppleTV - impressive, but pricey for what improvements it realistically delivers over AppleTV 3. Easy upgrade choice if you have AppleTV 2 or earlier.
We have a 2, but just being able to search multiple sources at once (and the voice command rather than typing it in) would get me to upgrade from a 3.

Or if, like in my case, you have no set-top device and no cable/satellite television and are still using unreliable OTA HDTV because you were waiting on them to finally update the darned thing from what has been more or less unchanged since 2010.

--Patrick

Last edited:
We have a 2, but just being able to search multiple sources at once (and the voice command rather than typing it in) would get me to upgrade from a 3.
It's a great feature, but $150 min is a bit rich for my blood to solve a problem that a quick Google search sufficed for in the past. I'm a console guy, I don't need to be able to play smartphone games on my TV, I've never been interested in shopping from my TV, and the promise of "apps" isn't really enough for me. My ATV 3 will live just fine until they drop the price.

I'm not going to do the leasing upgrade plan because I'm happy with my current contract and am willing to roll the dice on my phone lasting two years (I've had my current one for 3 and its still working fine). 3d touch looks like a major upgrade that will actually make a big difference for the better. I'm glad I waited for this phone rather than get the 6.

It's a great feature, but $150 min is a bit rich for my blood to solve a problem that a quick Google search sufficed for in the past. I'm a console guy, I don't need to be able to play smartphone games on my TV, I've never been interested in shopping from my TV, and the promise of "apps" isn't really enough for me. My ATV 3 will live just fine until they drop the price.
Yeah, the apps aren't a big draw for me. We had already decided to upgrade the 2 anyway, no matter what features this one had. But who knows, maybe the app developers will come up with something amazing that I didn't realize I wanted on my AppleTV. They did it with apps on my phone ("Who would want applications on a phone? I just want to make calls." -- me when the iPhone rumors started circulating). :D

Same. I've been toughing it out with my 5 (not 5s, just 5) figuring whatever was coming next was going to be worth it (and have 2GB RAM...still not sure about this one yet).

--Patrick
Im using my 4s still. Though, I'd prefer that over the 5. I feel bad that you're still using that.

I've heard a lot of people hating on the 5. I don't get it. I've never had any trouble that wasn't an apparent one-off. It's the best 32-bit phone Apple has ever made (yes, even better than the 5c IMO). I just wish I could've afforded the 32GB model. Mine is only the 16GB, so I have to manage the amount of music/podcasts/pictures/apps I keep on it.

--Patrick

Eh, the person I know with a 5 had to get it replaced multiple times after it crapped out, as well as its replacements.

App Store on the Apple TV is important because it means that video providers no longer need to be approached by Apple to get on the platform which will be much better for smaller operations.

My 5s is still chugging along just fine, but both it and my iPad 3 are starting to be a bit long in tooth for games (and in the case of my 16 GB 5S, a lack of storage space), and I would like to maybe split the difference and get a 6s, and then cross my fingers on a family member or 4 pitching in to get me a Mini 4 or Air 2 to replace the iPad for Xmas.[DOUBLEPOST=1441852465,1441852434][/DOUBLEPOST]
App Store on the Apple TV is important because it means that video providers no longer need to be approached by Apple to get on the platform which will be much better for smaller operations.
That's a good point.

Eh, the person I know with a 5 had to get it replaced multiple times after it crapped out, as well as its replacements.
Well, now you know someone from the other end of the spectrum, too. :)
video providers no longer need to be approached by Apple to get on the platform
"Channels" might as well be "Streaming websites" anyway. That's a finalization that can't happen soon enough. Maybe if the cable companies lose the ability to compete on bundled content, they'll finally start to compete on price.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Yeah, my wife, son, and I have had 5's (not 5s) for several years with no issues whatsoever.

The Verge has a nice breakdown of the Apple Update Program for iPhone.

Basically, if you value being free from carrier contracts of any kind, like having AppleCare instead of carrier insurance, and want the option of a new iPhone every year, it's actually pretty aggressive.

If you don't want all three of those things, it might not be the best option for your wallet.
Yeah, I'm really tempted to pay off the remainder on my T-Mobile plan and switch to it. I probably should just wait a year and then do it.