Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

fade

Staff member
Well sure. I wasn't even counting when the GPS antenna comes on because it burns through the battery so ridiculously fast.

Well, the G3 seems to drain its (more powerful) battery faster than my droid 1... but I don't know if that's because I fiddle with it more, being new, or if because now I actually have a reason to keep its wifi antenna on and connected, since it has the brainpower to deal with background apps and a 2gb data limit.
Using the big high res screen of the G3 really drains it, which you're probably using a lot of since it's new and you're playing with it. It should last about the same if not longer than the D1 when you manage it better.

I looked long and hard at the G3, but went with the HTC One M8.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm a bit disappointed that chrome insists on treating the G3's display as if it is 598x360. I'd rather have at least 720p and then use pinch to zoom.

Well, the G3 seems to drain its (more powerful) battery faster than my droid 1... but I don't know if that's because I fiddle with it more, being new, or if because now I actually have a reason to keep its wifi antenna on and connected, since it has the brainpower to deal with background apps and a 2gb data limit.
I would be betting on your screen. If you go into the dropdown menu and touch the upper right, then touch the battery icon, it will give you a breakdown of what is draining your battery. The biggest battery hog is very often the screen.

GasBandit

Staff member
So 11 hours on battery under standard conditions with zero use and connected to the house Wifi drains the battery 20% (to 80%). About 2% an hour. That's not horrible, I suppose.

So now I've tried turning off Wifi. I've had it off the charger for 2 hours and it's still 100%. We'll see what it's like after a day of normal use. The old Droid 1 could go a 24 hour period of normal use and be down to about 60% (I would charge it up on the PC's USB while I get ready for work in the morning, then not put it back on the charger until the next morning).

fade

Staff member
You know what would be an awesome feature for my iPhone? Setting alert style by time of day. I want irritating buzzes during the day, but I don't want them at night. I know there's a similar feature in the form of Do Not Disturb, but that's a little too severe.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alarm woke me up this morning. So nearly 24 hours off the charger, and really it was a somewhat higher-than-average day of use yesterday, the G3 sits at 65% battery power. Not too bad.

Gonna try it again today leaving wifi on all the time to see if it makes the huge difference I think it does.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jeezus. 2 hours later and it's only up to 95% Guess I'm going to have to start charging it overnight. The USB charger is apparently hella-slow. Maybe I should try the wall charger.

Jeezus. 2 hours later and it's only up to 95% Guess I'm going to have to start charging it overnight. The USB charger is apparently hella-slow. Maybe I should try the wall charger.
That's usually how it works. The old USB standard amount of power is less than a wall charger can pump out.

The old USB standard amount of power is less than a wall charger can pump out.
USB 1/2 = 500ma (2.5W) max (I think, not sure about USB 1.x)
USB 3 = 900ma (4.5W)
Many phone chargers put out 1000-2000ma (5-10W) or more, but even a 2.1 amp charger is still going to take 6hrs to 0-100 charge the 40+ Watt-hour battery (11,000+ mah) you find in a modern iPad. This is why battery technologies are in the news so much lately...we haven't found an economical battery that lasts a long time but charges quickly (without exploding or having an extremely short lifetime, that is).

--Patrick

Last edited:
Also, any intelligent charging circuitry will slow down to a trickle charge as the battery gets closer to 100%.
Keeps down the rupture/explosion potential.

--Patrick

So I brought my phone in to get a new battery, and I also had a known issue with the sleep/wake button no longer working. They kept making me unplug my phone to move around the store, even though every time they made me do it it made my phone die and refuse to boot up until it was plugged in for 5 - 10 minutes. After *90* minutes of waiting and this bullshit they finally decide that they are just going to replace the battery and then run the diagnostic to send it in to get the power button replaced. This will take up to 3 hours because there is a queue of phones waiting in the battery area, and they can't process my loaner phone until they can run a diagnostic. I scream and rage inside, then just assign this task to my husband, since he can just stop by after work and pick up my loaner phone since I have to talk to my son's teachers tonight. So he gets a call at 5:15 that the phone is ready and he can come in. He goes in and the guy there has no idea what he is talking about and that takes 30 minutes to straighten out. Then it turns out that after they got around to replacing my battery, they don't *have* a loaner phone to give me so that they can send in my phone to replace the power button. So apparently they are just going to replace the whole phone for free? My brain hurts. But I have my own phone back, new battery but broken power button until my replacement shows up.

Also I think my husband's return trip was something like another 90 min to 2 hours. Fucking Apple Store.

GasBandit

Staff member
Okay, I tried the wall charger and it was like night and day. The wifi on plus me playing a game or two meant I was down to 60 by the time I got home today. But after only an hour on the wall charger it was back up to full. Also you were right about it slowing down its charging as it neared 100, it was easy to see on the graph.

The 5 apparently has a very long list of known issues, of which I turned out to have 3, and didn't just break it after all. ;)

(Actually I probably did break it, but I wasn't going to SAY that if it matched up to a known issue :p)

I have a 5, and mine has none of them (though it is eligible for the button one).
I don't know whether I just got lucky, or whether I'm just not as hard on my phone as others are to theirs.
Whatever. Upgrade availability is coming soon, we'll see where it leads.

--Patrick

Well, I apparently bought mine too early, which is where the battery issue comes from. :p Beyond that I have no idea.

So basically what you two are telling me is that I should damage my iphone 5 before the applecare runs out because it's most likely going to eventually fail given that I got it on release day?
You'd have to pay the replacement fee and probably want to make sure nothing was on it, but I'd advise making SURE you are covered before something unexpected "happens" to it.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I'm more inclined to believe it's because of the rumors of a smart watch and a phablet, both of which interest me so little.

I'm still hoping the AppleTV and Mac Mini got together and had a baby.
And you use an iPad as the display (when it's not hooked to your TV).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The commercials for the amazon phone are out. I've never wanted to punch children so much in my life.

The commercials for the amazon phone are out. I've never wanted to punch children so much in my life.
It appears plenty of Internet denizens echo your sentiment.
As for Apple, of course security is a huuuuge concern (not just due to The Fappening, but also with control over their own announcements/ecosphere). I'm still waiting to see whether the effort is going to be spent revamping the Mini, beefing up the Apple TV, or ... perhaps combining both of them into one single unit that occupies both niches.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Only if it stays $99. I like my Apple TV, but I don't really want an HTPC. If it becomes one, I'll probably jump to a Roku or Chromecast.

Only if it stays $99. I like my Apple TV, but I don't really want an HTPC. If it becomes one, I'll probably jump to a Roku or Chromecast.
If it becomes one, it could signal a move away from the x86 ISA. Hello, Swift.
680x0 was 10 years, PPC was 12, it's been x86 for 8 now.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Apple's been prepping for fluidity in CPU for a while now, what with adopting LLVM and Clang. It'd be interesting to see. Maybe Clang will finally support OpenMP. Nevermind, looks like OpenMP finally made it in late last year. Shows how much I keep up with apple scientific computing lately.

fade

Staff member
Maybe this happened a while ago, but I just used Siri and her voice is way more natural.

fade

Staff member
I don't use it much and I know Siri is served. I thought the phonemes were stored locally though. However several tests on my phone all reveal a much more realistic voice. Is this for tomorrow's release or did I just miss it earlier?