a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters
Trump distracts her with the Benghazi Supreme and goes for the pussy grab! Oh good god! Good god! Clinton with a reverse off the ropes into the Goldmen Sacher! He's down! Trump is down and the crowd is livid! Oh god the humanity.

Someone get the ref this has to be illegal! Stop her before she deletes all of Trump's emails! Wait a minute, what is... It was a wig! It was Bill the whole time! The Lewinsky Finish! Good god! Good god! It's over! The Clintons have stolen the title!

Trump distracts her with the Benghazi Supreme and goes for the pussy grab! Oh good god! Good god! Clinton with a reverse off the ropes into the Goldmen Sacher! He's down! Trump is down and the crowd is livid! Oh god the humanity.

Someone get the ref this has to be illegal! Stop her before she deletes all of Trump's emails! Wait a minute, what is... It was a wig! It was Bill the whole time! The Lewinsky Finish! Good god! Good god! It's over! The Clintons have stolen the title!
*music starts*
"No chance, that's what you've got!"

Necronic

Staff member
If this plays out the way a lot of people are thinking it will I really wonder what it means for the future of the Republican Party. I think republicans are going to have to have a serious period of reflection so they can figure out how the inmates took over the asylum. They needed those votes and over the last 20 years lost more and more control to them which reached a tipping point with the Tea Party, and then they lost control.

I really don't know what they can do at this point to right the ship. These folks can't take over the party, but they can disrupt it to the point of absurdity. And you can't just fix this.

Obviously a better educated population would help them but...ohhh, whoops.

Huh, is this karma?

Dave

Staff member
The issue is the craziest parts of the republican party are entrenched on the state and local levels, and gerrymandering will make sure that continues to be the case. So we'll have insane alt-right morons for quite some time regardless of this. And if (when) Hillary gets elected, you'll see just as much partisan obstructionism as you are seeing now, only this time it'll be more misogynistic rather than racist.

I'm going to guess that there will be a shift to the right and conservative values once that end of the political spectrum gets it shit in order. Too much power on either side never works for anyone in the end.

Am I crazy in thinking Trump could be good for the Republican Party in the long term? It happened against their will, but this situation could divest the Republicans from the worst of their base that were holding them back. They're screwed short term, but there are plenty of moderates who would vote for sane Republicans.

Am I crazy in thinking Trump could be good for the Republican Party in the long term? It happened against their will, but this situation could divest the Republicans from the worst of their base that were holding them back. They're screwed short term, but there are plenty of moderates who would vote for sane Republicans.
I've been pondering the same thing. There might be some strategic meetings that result in solidified party to be reckoned with.

Necronic

Staff member
It won't be good in the short term. They desperately need those whackos because without them (or some form of extreme voter intimidation) they simply don't have the votes to take anything other than the House.

Long term though this could be the beginning of the end for the 2 party system. The Republican Party may simply fracture into 2 groups after this. And Howard Dean just announced that he's instituting a new form of voting in 2018 that will be much more favorable to 3rd parties. If that spreads then it could be open season.

This would give democrats a huge advantage for a while but I would be fairly confident that, if the republicans split, the dems would do so shortly thereafter (maybe 10-20 years). Being one party against 2 would force them to compromise in ways that would piss off a lot of their own voters.

This is of course extreme guesswork.

I'm interested. Do you have a link?
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/o...to-move-beyond-the-two-party-system.html?_r=0[DOUBLEPOST=1476128917,1476128816][/DOUBLEPOST]Essentially instant runoff, which I'm in favor of. Whether the two parties will actually allow it is another question entirely (whose answer is probably a resounding NO)

Question Five on the Maine ballot would establish ranked-choice voting in the 2018 primary and general elections for governor, Congress and State Legislature. While presidential and city elections aren’t included, Maine’s largest city, Portland, already uses ranked-choice voting to elect its mayor.

It is fitting that Maine’s motto is “the way life should be.” I believe ranked-choice voting represents what democracy will be. It’s a solution to the problem of how to uphold majority rule and give more voice to voters by presenting them with more than two options.

Ranked-choice voting is already used by tens of millions of voters, including in Australia and Ireland’s national elections, London, Minnesota’s twin cities and eight other American cities when electing mayors. It is also used in picking the Oscar nominees for best picture, and in electing student leaders at more than 50 American colleges.

It’s as easy as 1-2-3. Voters have the option to rank the candidates from first to last, and any candidate with a majority of first choices wins, just as in any other election. But if no candidate has a majority, you hold an “instant runoff” tally in order to compare the top two candidates head to head. Candidates in last place are eliminated, and their backers’ votes are counted for their next choice. When it’s down to two, the winner earns a majority of the vote.

Instant-runoff has some major infrastructural challenges to implementation it would need to overcome, and if it goes full electronic then we need to be super careful about the integrity of the system.

But overall, it seems a much better system, and would preserve the ability of aligned-but-separate parties to build coalitions without having to fight one another, which is nominally better for our political process.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm all in favor of instant runoff (and I never expected Howard Dean of all people to come out of nowhere and champion it), but can Dean really just "institute" it for 2018?

(reads link) oh, ok, he's just saying we SHOULD institute it. Understanding achieved, hopes diminished.

Looks like the democratic party dodged a bullet not getting Bernie on the ticket: http://nypost.com/2015/06/05/bernie-sanders-rape-fantasy-essay-reveals-left-wing-hypocrisy/
Way to recycle something from last year, and also to wildly misinterpret the subject matter. The article was a commentary on gender roles. The pieces cited were incidents of people using a BDSM fantasy and rape-fantasy to increase the pleasure of either masturbation or consensual intercourse. But, no, please take out of context quotes from a 44 year old article on changing gender roles and use that to somehow equate to Trump discussing his preferred method of sexual assault.

http://www.smerconish.com/daily-news/man-and-woman-by-bernie-sanders/

The text of a essay written in 1972 by Bernie Sanders in Vermont Freeman, an alternative newspaper. The article is a commentary on gender roles.
Man-and-Woman
By Bernard Sanders

A man goes home and masturbates his typical fantasy. A woman on her knees, a woman tied up, a woman abused.
A woman enjoys intercourse with her man — as she fantasizes being raped by 3 men simultaneously.
The man and woman get dressed up on Sunday — and go to Church, or maybe to their “revolutionary” political meeting.
Have you ever looked at the Stag, Man, Hero, Tough magazines on the shelf of your local bookstore? Do you know why the newspaper with the articles like “Girl 12 raped by 14 men” sell so well? To what in us are they appealing?
Women, for their own preservation, are trying to pull themselves together. And it’s necessary for all of humanity that they do so. Slavishness on one hand breeds pigness on the other hand. Pigness on one hand breeds slavishness on the other. Men and women — both are losers. Women adapt themselves to fill the needs of men, and men adapt themselves to fill the needs of women. In the beginning there were strong men who killed the animals and brought home the food — and the dependent women who cooked it. No More! Only the roles remain — waiting to be shaken off. There are no “human” oppressors. Oppressors have lost their humanity. On one hand “slavishness,” on the other hand “pigness.” Six of one, half dozen of the other. Who wins?
Many women seem to be walking a tightrope now. Their qualities of love, openness, and gentleness were too deeply enmeshed with qualities of dependency, subservience, and masochism. How do you love — without being dependent? How do you be gentle — without being subservient? How do you maintain a relationship without giving up your identity and without getting strung out? How do you reach out and give your heart to your lover, but maintain the soul which is you?
And Men. Men are in pain too. They are thinking, wondering. What is it they want from a woman? Are they at fault? Are they perpetrating this man-woman situation? Are they oppressors?
The man is bitter.
“You lied to me,” he said. (She did).
“You said that you loved me, that you wanted me, that you needed me. Those are your words.” (They are).
“But in reality,” he said, “If you ever loved me, or wanted me, or needed me (all of which I’m not certain was ever true), you also hated me. You hated me — just as you have hated every man in your entire life, but you didn’t have the guts to tell me that. You hated me before you ever saw me, even though I was not your father, or your teacher, or your sex friend when you were 13 years old, or your husband. You hated me not because of who I am, or what I was to you, but because I am a man. You did not deal with me as a person — as me. You lived a lie with me, used me and played games with me — and that’s a piggy thing to do.”
And she said, “You wanted me not as a woman, or a lover, or a friend, but as a submissive woman, or submissive friend, or submissive lover; and right now where my head is I balk at even the slightest suspicion of that kind of demand.”
And he said, “You’re full of _______.”
And they never again made love together (which they had each liked to do more than anything) or never ever saw each other one more time.

One of the reasons I can't stand people saying it's just talk is things like this.
Can corroborate; back when one of my mother's sisters used to be a model, he would do the same shit at runway shows. I remember her complaining about it to us back in the 90's.

Funny thing, that whole side of the family tend to be unfaltering Republicans, but when i saw them this summer, they all seems pretty appalled at Trump making the ticket. I think this is the first time in their lives they won't be voting for the GOP and acknowledged the system is broken. I almost fell out of chair.

Necronic

Staff member
I know that Trump likes to reference tabloids and act like they are real news sources, but I kind of thought we were a bit better than that.

It won't be good in the short term. They desperately need those whackos because without them (or some form of extreme voter intimidation) they simply don't have the votes to take anything other than the House.

Long term though this could be the beginning of the end for the 2 party system. The Republican Party may simply fracture into 2 groups after this. And Howard Dean just announced that he's instituting a new form of voting in 2018 that will be much more favorable to 3rd parties. If that spreads then it could be open season.

This would give democrats a huge advantage for a while but I would be fairly confident that, if the republicans split, the dems would do so shortly thereafter (maybe 10-20 years). Being one party against 2 would force them to compromise in ways that would piss off a lot of their own voters.

This is of course extreme guesswork.
Every time the vote got split in Canada between a left or a right party you ended up with one party getting 35% of the vote and 100% of the power.

Federally it happened when the NDP and Liberals split the left vs the Conservatives and just recently in Alberta, provincially, the NDP took total power after the right got split between the Conservatives and the Wild Rose (Tea) Party.

Looks like the democratic party dodged a bullet not getting Bernie on the ticket: http://nypost.com/2015/06/05/bernie-sanders-rape-fantasy-essay-reveals-left-wing-hypocrisy/
Maybe the New York Post should go after Psychology Today next. They had four articles on rape fantasy that came up at the top of a Google search.

Why Do Women Have Erotic Rape Fantasies? (Psychology Today, 2008)

Why Do Women Have Rape Fantasies? (Psychology Today, 2015)

Don't Call Them "Rape Fantasies" (Psychology Today, 2014)

The Rape Fantasy (Psychology Today, 2010)

Obviously more left wing hypocrisy of being okay with consensual sexual fantasy, but then getting all upset when women are actually sexually assaulted.

:facepalm:

I'm on mobile, so I don't have the link ready, but Glenn Beck has endorsed Hillary as the "moral, ethical choice." Her agenda can be opposed in Congress, but voting for her is the right thing to do.

Now THAT is sticking to your principles. Dude. I'm impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn Beck has been anti-Trump from the start, shockingly. He did that whole Cheetos face thing before Trump was the official GOP nominee.

I'm on mobile, so I don't have the link ready, but Glenn Beck has endorsed Hillary as the "moral, ethical choice." Her agenda can be opposed in Congress, but voting for her is the right thing to do.

Now THAT is sticking to your principles. Dude. I'm impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's the relevant quote:

Mike Lee’s declaration was the single greatest act of bravery I have witnessed in a very long time.

If the GOP is worth saving, they will follow suit. Don’t get me wrong, Mike will fail in some way, just as I will falter and fail in someway. We are all human. But this act of bravery needs to be noted.

While I don’t know Mike’s future — other than the hate, isolation and death threats — I can guess the future of the once standard-bearing party. Lincoln would walk away and stand with United States Senator Mike Lee. Every person, each of us, must decide what is a bridge too far.

Mike Lee obviously reached that point, where the moral compromise his party asked him to make was simply beyond what is acceptable. It is not acceptable to ask a moral, dignified man to cast his vote to help elect an immoral man who is absent decency or dignity. If the consequence of standing against Trump and for principles is, indeed, the election of Hillary Clinton, so be it. At least it is a moral, ethical choice.

If she is elected, the world does not end. Once elected, Hillary can be fought. Her nominees can be blocked, her proposed laws voted down. Her tactics are blatant and juvenile. Battling her by means of political and procedural maneuvering — through the media, through public marches and online articles — all of that will be moral and worthy of a man of principle. The alternative does not offer a moral person the same opportunity. If one helps to elect an immoral man to the highest office then one is merely validating his immorality, lewdness and depravity.

But as long as it’s not her, it’s okay, right?

No.

Lee’s call for Trump to step down and withdraw from the race was respectful to him and to the process. Trump stepping down does not guarantee a Clinton win, but it does guarantee the Republican Party still stands for something.