a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters
Well, I'm not about to get into a long treatise on the philosophy of morality, but let's just say that I'd have to disagree with this - there are times when you should hold your ground on issues which you do not wish to compromise.

I remember a time when Obama said, "I will not compromise" and lots of people applauded.

Are you saying he's morally bankrupt?
That's my point: yes, stand on principle - if there's an issue. If she nominates a guy who thinks abortions should be pay-two-get-one-free, by all mean,s oppose him. If she nominates a woman who thinks capitalism is evil and all Americans should be fed by the state, by all mean,s oppose her. Saying "we won't consider anyone - ANYONE - she nominates" doesn't allow for conversation. It doesn't hold any intellectual merit. It holds no actual value. It's obstructionism, period. The Senate gets to judge a nominee and say yes or no. They're not supposed to say "we won't even look".

Do you think he did it with a modified XBox controller setup through his laptop or did they have to set up the whole drone apparatus in the White House?
Do you think Nazi leadership was executed because they personally committed all the war crimes they were judged responsible for?

McCain has vowed to block any Supreme Court justice nominated by Hillary over the next 4 years.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...clintons-presidency.html?mid=twitter-share-di

I hope this is just an empty threat meant to rally support for the down-ballot, because this is frankly insane and is making me lose the respect I had for other members of the GOP
Oh, so all that call to let the next president decide on the new SCJ was just lies and bullshit now that it's all but guaranteed they're not gonna win. Colour me shocked.

I mean Merrick Garland was considered an example of a moderate judge that Obama would never choose until he did. It's clearly just out of spite.
The court was pretty evenly divided until Scalia died. Replacing him with a so-called moderate moves the court. Whether it's a good or bad move may be opinion, but I don't think anyone is claiming that the court will remain fairly even handed in its judgements.

So how could the republican's accept that?

This isn't a litmus test. This is simply one group - who are elected to their offices by the people - responding to the people and saying, "Give us a justice to replace Scalia - not one that will move the court in a direction our constituents don't want."

So if people want the courts to move in that direction, they better elect different house and senate representatives.

Otherwise it isn't moral bankruptcy - it's called enacting the mandate of their electorate.

Something I think a lot of people claim for Obama, if I remember correctly.

Convince the people to elect a less "obstructionist" congress, in other words.

This hasn't been a problem until lately. I know W had a nominee rejected, but the democrats never stopped the process in its tracks they way its happening now. This is an unambiguous failure on congress' part.

I feel like the Senate has a reasonable chance of flipping this election. I doubt the House will, but the Senate might, which is what is needed in THAT regard at least.

The court was pretty evenly divided until Scalia died. Replacing him with a so-called moderate moves the court. Whether it's a good or bad move may be opinion, but I don't think anyone is claiming that the court will remain fairly even handed in its judgements.

So how could the republican's accept that?

This isn't a litmus test. This is simply one group - who are elected to their offices by the people - responding to the people and saying, "Give us a justice to replace Scalia - not one that will move the court in a direction our constituents don't want."

So if people want the courts to move in that direction, they better elect different house and senate representatives.

Otherwise it isn't moral bankruptcy - it's called enacting the mandate of their electorate.

Something I think a lot of people claim for Obama, if I remember correctly.

Convince the people to elect a less "obstructionist" congress, in other words.
Sure, and they should vote in a way that honors that. Don't you feel that obstructing seems different, though, than simply honoring their mandate? It is as if the obstructionist is speaking for more than their electorate, for people that did not vote for them. And that would be true for either side obstructing.

Sure, and they should vote in a way that honors that. Don't you feel that obstructing seems different, though, than simply honoring their mandate? It is as if the obstructionist is speaking for more than their electorate, for people that did not vote for them. And that would be true for either side obstructing.
Just because previous congresses haven't chosen to simply not hear a nomination doesn't mean it isn't within their charter or right to use it.

Every congress and every president (and every supreme court) have tested the limits of their powers. If they did not have the right to deny a hearing or a vote, then I suppose that will be tested against the constitution by the next president who takes congress to the supreme court and forces them to act. I suppose the supreme court would act in its self interest, though, and force congress to act.

I don't know, but that's why we have three branches who are always testing the limits of the powers granted them via the constitution.

Actually, we have google. Let's find out. "Can Obama invoke the Writ of Mandamus against US Congress"

The answer is no. From one of the many sites:

Can Obama invoke the Writ of Mandamus against US Congress if they refuse to consider his Supreme Court nomination of Merrick Garland?

No, he cannot.
The Senate may not be compelled to perform any action, including taking up the pending nomination. Strictly speaking, the President has performed his Constitutional duty by nominating a judge. The Senate may decide to serve coffee on the floor instead of considering the nomination, and they're still entirely within their authority.
Moreover, since neither Judge Garland nor President Obama have a right to specific Senate action, no writ of mandamus could be issued, nor could such a writ have any legal force given separation of powers concerns. Such writs are issued in order to compel an action required by statutory duty, but the Senate sets its own rules.
At some point, President Obama's supporters are going to have to accept that the Senate may not be compelled to consider his nominee. As the President himself has observed, "elections have consequences," and Democrats will have to win more Senate seats in order to control that chamber's agenda.
So there's the rub. The senate can continue to refuse. There's two ways to accomplish this:

1) present a supreme court candidate that will pass the senate. Perhaps if they chose someone in the vein of Scalia, the senate wouldn't be so hesitant.
2) the electorate needs to change the senate enough that the president's choices will be chosen.

That's it. The senate can block indefinitely, and the people will have to live with an 8 seat court for as long as the senate chooses to do so.

You may disagree that the senate should use this power in this manner, but it's in the constitution. Go ahead and change it if it's causing problems, or change the senate, or change the nomination.

Just because previous congresses haven't chosen to simply not hear a nomination doesn't mean it isn't within their charter or right to use it.

Every congress and every president (and every supreme court) have tested the limits of their powers. If they did not have the right to deny a hearing or a vote, then I suppose that will be tested against the constitution by the next president who takes congress to the supreme court and forces them to act. I suppose the supreme court would act in its self interest, though, and force congress to act.

I don't know, but that's why we have three branches who are always testing the limits of the powers granted them via the constitution.

Actually, we have google. Let's find out. "Can Obama invoke the Writ of Mandamus against US Congress"

The answer is no. From one of the many sites:

So there's the rub. The senate can continue to refuse. There's two ways to accomplish this:

1) present a supreme court candidate that will pass the senate. Perhaps if they chose someone in the vein of Scalia, the senate wouldn't be so hesitant.
2) the electorate needs to change the senate enough that the president's choices will be chosen.

That's it. The senate can block indefinitely, and the people will have to live with an 8 seat court for as long as the senate chooses to do so.

You may disagree that the senate should use this power in this manner, but it's in the constitution. Go ahead and change it if it's causing problems, or change the senate, or change the nomination.
You shifted from talking about one man to talking about the whole body. I was referencing the actions of a single representative. I don't disagree with a balance of powers.

You shifted from talking about one man to talking about the whole body. I was referencing the actions of a single representative. I don't disagree with a balance of powers.
I've re-read the various posts and I'm confused. I thought I was always talking about whether this obstructionism was legitimized by the representatives being elected by the people, or if it was "morally bankrupt" on the part of those who are obstructing.

I'm sorry if I'm moving goalposts or hitting strawmen, it's not my intention. Perhaps you can provide a quote trail that will show me where I've gone off the rails...

I've re-read the various posts and I'm confused. I thought I was always talking about whether this obstructionism was legitimized by the representatives being elected by the people, or if it was "morally bankrupt" on the part of those who are obstructing.

I'm sorry if I'm moving goalposts or hitting strawmen, it's not my intention. Perhaps you can provide a quote trail that will show me where I've gone off the rails...
Right, you were, but it all started with the discussion of the vow of a single person. I don't deny that the Republicans can legally obstruct. I can legally say mean things about your wife to your face, but we prefer, as a society, to keep things civil.

Right, you were, but it all started with the discussion of the vow of a single person. I don't deny that the Republicans can legally obstruct. I can legally say mean things about your wife to your face, but we prefer, as a society, to keep things civil.
Oh, I see. Let me look at the quote.

From the article:

McCain pledges that he and his party will continue the Supreme Court blockade throughout Clinton’s term. “I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up,”
And:

The fact that it is McCain, a personal friend of Clinton and as strong an institutionalist as can be found in the Senate, who is proposing to extend the blockade indefinitely shows just how deep the commitment runs through the party.
Well, perhaps I'm misreading, but so far as I can tell McCain is saying this as a party representative. I haven't seen anyone in the party suggesting his quote doesn't represent them or the party, so I"m not sure that we should be reading this as one person's personal vendetta or vow.

If anything, I suspect that the republicans see the writing on the wall, they're going to lose the presidential election, and they're rallying the troops around the idea that if they can keep the senate they'll still have control over the supreme court nomination process.

As of the latest polls it sounds like they may lose the senate, but if the party has any money left they should drop Trump and spend it on senate seats.

It sounds, though, like we'll have a partial repeat of Obama's first term - a democrat controlled senate and a democrat president. If they don't control the house, though, they'll still have to fight over other things, but if Clinton can't wrangle the senate then she may be as ineffective as Obama was his first term, and the republicans will probably gain control of the senate again if she doesn't play ball before the midterm elections.

It sounds, though, like we'll have a partial repeat of Obama's first term - a democrat controlled senate and a democrat president. If they don't control the house, though, they'll still have to fight over other things, but if Clinton can't wrangle the senate then she may be as ineffective as Obama was his first term, and the republicans will probably gain control of the senate again if she doesn't play ball before the midterm elections.
This is where I see things going. It'd be easier for her to get some republicans on her side than for a democrat-controlled senate to agree on anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
This hasn't been a problem until lately. I know W had a nominee rejected, but the democrats never stopped the process in its tracks they way its happening now. This is an unambiguous failure on congress' part.
What are you talking about? Maybe not the supreme court, but democrats filibustered scads and scads of his lower court nominees.

And frankly, this is a shooting war started by democrats when they resorted to scorched earth character assassination on Bork in 87.

GasBandit

Staff member
Speaks volumes, actually. When the two men above him resigned rather than be party to what they considered an obvious abuse of power, Bork did not, and was promised a seat on the Supreme Court if he did so.
It's quite amusing how paltry and slight Nixons "abuses of power" were compared to the sort of thing people, including democrats, are willing to countenance today as de rigueur.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/is-...g-supporters-to-break-voter-intimidation-laws

Trump is basically encouraging his armed supporters to go to polling places and intimidate people.

Trump has for months complained about the possibility of an election somehow “rigged” against him, but recently, the rhetoric has taken on a more ominous, and even racially-tinged tone, that specifically mentions voter fraud at the ballot box. Last week, he told a mostly white crowd in Ambridge, Pennsylvania, to “watch other communities, because we don't want this election stolen from us." He said at rally in Michigan late last month that his supporters, after they vote, should "pick some other place ... and go sit there with your friends and make sure it's on the up and up."
It appears that some of his supporters are prepared to heed his call. Steve Webb, a 61-year-old Trump supporter from Ohio, told the Boston Globe he planned to go “watch” from his precinct “for sure."
“I’ll look for . . . well, it’s called racial profiling. Mexicans. Syrians. People who can’t speak American,” he said. “I’m going to go right up behind them. I’ll do everything legally. I want to see if they are accountable. I’m not going to do anything illegal. I’m going to make them a little bit nervous.”

I imagine next week they'll be issued their brown shirts.

How does this guy have any credibility when it comes to workers? If I had to work for this tool I'd demand payment up front.