a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters
Trump thinks SNL is helping to rig the election against him, therefore it's unfunny and should be cancelled.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/16/media/donald-trump-snl/
If jesters want to joke about the king, it's only fir they be executed. No-one can mock the ruler without facing swift justice![DOUBLEPOST=1476636168,1476636127][/DOUBLEPOST]Or perhaps an "Yes, Erdogan and Putin have (tried to) jail(ed) comedians who laughed with them as well" answer is more to the point.

I'm betting he feels especially hurt by SNL's recent turn; he used to have a great relationship with NBC because of his show and has done stuff on SNL before (even this year!), so it probably burns him to realize they don't have his back and never have.
He should be the first to understand "it's all business and we can't be associated with you, it'd hurt our brand". Heck, I'd hope they'd not pay him for the last season because they're "just smart".

Not sure if this has already been posted but a former white supremacist Derek Black, the son of the founder of Stormfront, is very sorry about his part in normalizing racism.
Proving it is possible for some of the right fringe nut jobs to snap out of the craycray. At least if they have an epiphany while they are young enough.

*Edit* How? He left home and went to college and interacted with people outside of his paranoid racist home setting. Another reason we really need to make higher education cheaper and more broadly accessible.

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
The attack on that office was unacceptable. Whoever did it needs to be caught and prosecuted. Period. There is no excuse for attacking a political office like that. Not in this country. Regardless of what some people may want you to think we do still have the best democracy in the world and it must be defended from people who would do shit like this.

Fuck whoever did that.

I've always wondered how mandatory voting would work in the US. You would have to do a lot more to make the voting process easier, but it'd be interesting to see the effect it'd have on elections. I'm not sure id actually want it to be implemented but it's a thought.

Dave

Staff member
I've always wondered how mandatory voting would work in the US. You would have to do a lot more to make the voting process easier, but it'd be interesting to see the effect it'd have on elections. I'm not sure id actually want it to be implemented but it's a thought.
We're too busy trying to suppress voting to ever make it mandatory.

I've always wondered how mandatory voting would work in the US.
Wouldn't be any different than mandatory healthcare. You'd pay a tax if the IRS didn't see your social security number show up at the polls on the 2-3 voting days each year.

I'm not a big fan of coercion - I think the right not to vote should be allowed, but given that the uninsured tax has somehow passed constitutional muster, then I suppose they can tax anything they want and get away with it now.

Wouldn't be any different than mandatory healthcare. You'd pay a tax if the IRS didn't see your social security number show up at the polls on the 2-3 voting days each year.

I'm not a big fan of coercion - I think the right not to vote should be allowed, but given that the uninsured tax has somehow passed constitutional muster, then I suppose they can tax anything they want and get away with it now.
Oh I wasn't talking about method of implementing it, I meant more the implications it'd have on politics in the US.

Voting is mandatory here. I think that if it weren't so, it would be literally posible here buy elections, at least at local level. Politicians would only need go to a rural place, give each voter $5.00 and a bus ride.

You can still buy votes with mandatory voting. I'm not sure why that would stop Fraud.

I wonder, in places with mandatory voting, what is the % of blank or "Mickey Mouse" ballots?

I'm guessing he's saying that the people whose vote couldn't be bought for cheap but wouldn't vote otherwise make it too cost prohibitive.
Exactly. I guess first Iwould need to know how many people wouldn't vote if it weren't mandatory.

I wonder, in places with mandatory voting, what is the % of blank or "Mickey Mouse" ballots?
Last elections there were 7.1% blank votes 6.5% null votes. 83.1 % voted.

For one thing, mandatory voting tea Aly doesn't mesh well with FPTP voting.
For another, you get a lot of uninterested, uninformed people voting either very emotionally, or deliberately destructive.
I'm not against mandatory voting, it has issues just like the right to vote has.
Either way, making sure everyone who is allowed to and wants to, can vote, is important.

That's an interesting tactic.
Vowing to use any power you have to oppose anyone or anything from the opponent isn't "interesting" - it's morally bankrupt. Complete standstill at all costs isn't in any way good for the country. "We'd oppose anyone who holds belief [A]" is one thing, anyone just means 4 (or 2 at least) years of complete stand still.

GasBandit

Staff member
Vowing to use any power you have to oppose anyone or anything from the opponent isn't "interesting" - it's morally bankrupt. Complete standstill at all costs isn't in any way good for the country. "We'd oppose anyone who holds belief [A]" is one thing, anyone just means 4 (or 2 at least) years of complete stand still.
Well, he makes the assumption that anyone she nominates will hold belief [A].

Vowing to use any power you have to oppose anyone or anything ... - it's morally bankrupt.
Well, I'm not about to get into a long treatise on the philosophy of morality, but let's just say that I'd have to disagree with this - there are times when you should hold your ground on issues which you do not wish to compromise.

I remember a time when Obama said, "I will not compromise" and lots of people applauded.

Are you saying he's morally bankrupt?

So, our daughter last night said she was glad she's too young to vote this election. That just made me a bit sad. At one point she was pretty excited about the thought of a woman possibly becoming president.

Dave

Staff member
Absolutist lines in the sand by the tea party idiots is what got us in our current bind when it comes to the sequestration. Absolutism has no place in government. And yes, I get the paradox in saying it like that. Deal with it.