[NFL] 2014 NFL Season

I want to start a twitter feed just to repost double entendres from the color commentators during NFL games.

the D had good penetration

He went to the sideline for a blow

Tonight's winner, "Flacco can really jam it into really tight spaces."

Dave

Staff member
Adrian Peterson of the Vikings has been indicted for beating his kid with a switch. Ruled as felony child abuse. Stay tuned for another NFL wild ride week.

Adrian Peterson of the Vikings has been indicted for beating his kid with a switch. Ruled as felony child abuse. Stay tuned for another NFL wild ride week.
Shit! in East Texas, where he's from, that is called good parenting.

Edit:
I read the story. The kid had bruises and cuts from the switch. While I received that type of punishment, I was never cut or bruised by it.

Last edited:
Dang, just saw the pics (which apparently are a week old). What are the odds the Vikings just straight up release AD?

I mean, that's what I'd expect, but to me this seems worse than Ray Rice, so I gotta wonder if that option is on the table.

I don't think it's as bad. I bet that Peterson had this done to him as a kid and honestly views it as a way to punish a child. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished but his actions didn't almost kill the kid, unlike what rice did.

If Ray Rice's dad hit his mom when he was growing up, would you offer up the same argument? Would that make it not as bad, or would hitting his fiancé still be just as despicable?

My point is that hitting your kid that severely is inexcusable. If you grew up like that, you can still educate yourself and choose not to continue the cycle.

Dave

Staff member
I'm in the camp of spanking your kids as a necessary tool of discipline. I know that's unpopular. But I'm talking a swat to the butt, not grabbing a switch or belt or ruler and leaving welts. There are a couple facts with this that makes me angry.
  1. Age of the child. This kid was four years old. That's an age where this kind of abuse will be deeply implanted. An older kid might realize why he was receiving the discipline, but a four year old lacks the capacity to consider it a "lesson". Besides, what could a four year old have done to merit such a beating? I was beat by my dad a grand total of once. I was 14 and got caught stealing from the neighbor's house. The lesson I got I never forgot, but I still wasn't left with the injuries this kid got.
  2. The injuries. Have you seen the pictures? They were taken a week later and it really looked like he was whipped with an actual whip. It was way, way, WAY beyond discipline and was definitely abuse.
  3. The attitude of Peterson. He still sees nothing wrong with it. He thinks deliberately injuring your child in such a way is acceptable. He'll issue an apology once they make him, but for now he's surprised at everyone's reaction. And this is from a guy whose own son was killed by an abuser.
I like AP. I liked Ray Rice. But they both fucked up in such a way that is and should be unacceptable. If the NFL doesn't give him the same treatment as Rice, it tells people we are now valuing women (because we have to), but kids not so much.

Holy shit. Today.

First home game at the renovated Ralph.
First home game since Ralph Wilson died.
Honoring Bills hall of famers.
Most famous of those hall of famers is CANCER FREE!
The Bills are staying in Buffalo!
Playing fucking miami.

This is going to be such a great atmosphere and I cant wait and I cant believe Ill be there and...
SQUISH THE FISH!

Dave

Staff member
I disagree with this and think that the Vikings will take a lot of shit.

Bet he'd still be inactive had they won yesterday.

My fantasy team was awful this week. I started AJ Green and Matt Ryan, among other disasters. I was the 2nd worst team in the league. Third worst was 22 points higher than me.

The worst team was my opponent.

Dave

Staff member
They shut down an established and semi-official Vikings message forum in protest. VikingsMessageBoard.com is shut permanently.

The announcement was:

Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.
  1. The Vikings' cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.
  2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, [jerks].
The funniest part about this is the way that Yahoo ended the article:

Yahoo Sports' comments remain open below, and we are certain that you will offer insightful, measured responses to both this and the Adrian Peterson story as a whole.
:rofl:

I hope this doesn't blow over, and I'd be happy if he were dropped. Let him go to the Cowboys if that's what he wants. I think what bugs me the most is he isn't one bit apologetic about it.

Most of the people I've talked to that still support him haven't seen the pictures. They think he spanked his kid and gave him a few swats with a switch. The extent of the kids injuries really needs to be emphasized.

I'm a bit torn as to whether he should be suspended yet or not. I think no matter what, he deserves a chance to defend himself. Until then, I don't think he should be punished for it. But then again, he doesn't deny anything. He just believes there's nothing wrong with what he did.

Because theres no difference when both parties consent to the violence and theres someone watching to stop it if it looks like someone could get seriously injured?

Dave

Staff member
So this incident happened in July. Why was he just now arrested? Not saying he shouldn't have, but the timing is just odd.

In any event, I just picked up the guy many thought would be taking top RB there anyway. We'll see.

So this incident happened in July. Why was he just now arrested? Not saying he shouldn't have, but the timing is just odd.
Well, they probably had to gather evidence and get the case together. But the timing is suspiciously perfect for making this worse for the NFL.

On the one hand, the NFL isn't known as the "National Felons League" for nothing.

On the other hand, this seems a little... I dunno... coincidental that the report of the arrest happened now. You know, in the middle of the season. And in the middle of the biggest PR mess in the league's recent history.

The only thing that could be worse is if the NFL discovered there was a star player betting on football games... (see #4)