Export thread

2014 NFL Season

evilmike

evilmike

Free agency is in full swing, a number of teams have changed coaches...

Anyone excited with what your team has done so far this off-season?

Dave

Dave

No. Fucking Cowboys got rid of Ware.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think the Titans have made a few good low-key moves in free agency, and I'm way more optimistic about this time than when Munch was coach.

There are still some dominoes to fall w/r/t the Chris Johnson situation and the draft. We could get lucky in the draft, and also if we end up somehow getting a pick for CJ.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Peppers.

General Specific

General Specific

Let's see, Panthers

Losses:
Steve Smith, released, now signed with Baltimore
Brandon Lafell, signed by New England
Ted Ginn Jr, signed by Arizona
Domenik Hixon, signed by Chicago
Captain Munnerlyn, signed by Minnesota
Mike Mitchell, signed by Pittsburgh
Jordan Gross, retired

Gains:
Greg Hardy franchised
Roman Harper signed

No, not happy at all. Here's hoping we get some good players in the draft or next season is already sunk.

Tress

Tress

I hear the Panthers are going to be aggressive with receivers in the draft. That's risky to me, but it could really pay off. We'll see.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

No. Fucking Cowboys got rid of Ware.
I'm pissed at both the Cowboys and Texans now. It seems like a fire sale in Houston.

Dave

Dave

I'm pissed at both the Cowboys and Texans now. It seems like a fire sale in Houston.
Tate was their best and most consistent RB. Cleveland got a steal and will squander his talent like they do everyone else's.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Bills didn't really do anything major. We lost Byrd, but no safety is worth what the Saints are paying him IMO.

Covar

Covar

Giants signed Mario Manningham again, so it looks like Eli will have someone other than Nicks to throw too. Now if they can just rework the offensive line.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Ralph Wilson died.
I hope we don't move.

Tress

Tress

Giants signed Mario Manningham again, so it looks like Eli will have someone other than Nicks to throw too. Now if they can just rework the offensive line.
You can have him back. He was a bust for SF.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ralph Wilson died.
I hope we don't move.
I'm not sure that's going to happen.

At least, not in the short term, anyways. Your most logical transplant locale can't host the NFL more than once a year, and that other place is being fought over by a dozen other people, none of whom have a stadium built.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hope so, but I have no idea who would buy the team that wants us here. Jim Kelly has always said he's had an ownership group set up, but he's in no place to do anything right now (fighting bad cancer).

Right now they're safe though. Moving the team in the next 6 years would have a lease-breaking fee of $450 million. The state has been very vocal about wanting a new stadium in Buffalo and if that gets done, I'm sure a 40 year lease or something like that would be signed.

Still, this has been an issue hanging over the Bills for literally as long as I've been a fan of them. Its almost hard to believe it finally happened.

jwhouk

jwhouk

On another forum whence I frequent, it was pointed out that Ralph Wilson is also the reason why the Raiders are still around and kicking. He personally paid debts incurred by the Oakland AFL ownership (which included Al Davis at the time) to keep the team solvent - and the league from having a team on the west coast cease operations.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I still can't fathom that LA still does not have a team, oh wait they do. I mean L.A.

blotsfan

blotsfan

He did the same for the Patriots. He also was a major player in negotiating the merger. He was a huge player for the AFL

jwhouk

jwhouk

Lamar Hunt gets a lot of the credit, but Ralph Wilson was the one who arguably put the AFL up as an equal to the NFL.

I don't want to see the Bills going anywhere. I have a soft spot for teams in a smaller-size cold-weather market located next to a big lake.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And according to this story that I never knew about, so did he.

Him and Dan Rooney were the only ones that voted against moving the Browns.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

No more field goal dunks after touchdowns. No. Fun. League.

Also going to play with doing extra points from further out during the pre-season, first two weeks will have extra points from the 20 yard line.

Also passed, extending the goalposts from 30 feet high to 35 feet.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I figure no one has any problems with that last rule. It can only help clear up confusion.

Covar

Covar

No more field goal dunks after touchdowns. No. Fun. League.
I always wondered why this wasn't already covered under "no using the ball as a prop." Clearly this is going to ruin the excitement of the game, just like it has in the college level.[DOUBLEPOST=1395867669,1395867550][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also going to play with doing extra points from further out during the pre-season, first two weeks will have extra points from the 20 yard line.
The only real affect I see with this will be on two-point conversions, extra room to open up more options to the offense along with a higher risk.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think the no dunking has more to do with the uprights getting bent. If they add another 10 feet of steel to them, it will be even easier to damage.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Phew. I was afraid this week would be too good for the Bills.

evilmike

evilmike

First to worst: Which NFL teams got better in free agency?

I'm encouraged by the Buccaneers' spot on the list. Though, part of the reason they were able to make such significant improvements was because of the number of messes they had to clean up.

drifter

drifter

The draft can't get here fast enough.

Gared

Gared

The draft can't get here fast enough.
What the hell is up with the draft happening later and later every year? I swear next year they'll be playing pre-season games before the draft finally happens.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Uh oh. Poor @blotsfan.

In the light of former members' lawsuits against the team, the Buffalo Jills cheerleading squad has been suspended indefinitely.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I couldn't care less. Its awful how they were treated, but I get no enjoyment from the cheerleaders.

Tress

Tress

I couldn't care less. Its awful how they were treated, but I get no enjoyment from the cheerleaders.
I feel the same way. I think they should be paid much more for all the shit they put up with, and simultaneously think that cheerleaders are pointless in the NFL and should just go away.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

NFL Cheerleading has always been treated as a hobby and part time for aspiring actresses, dancers and models. If they start training 4+ hours a day, I could see the NFL paying a living wage.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Packers don't have cheerleaders. Just sayin'.

I only pointed it out because I saw a tweet about it. I didn't know about the lawsuit until I did a Google search.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Clowney, we picked freaking Clowney. We need a quarterback to get the offense going right, and we pick a defensive player with the #1 pick... AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Gared

Gared

Well sure, but did you really want Johnny Football to be the QB your team picked? At least this way, if you lose games, you might not get blown out every time.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I haven't mentioned Manziel at all, but the Texans need a QB. Yes, this addition will just add another layer on the defense, but then we weren't getting blown out in most games unless the offense was throwing it away (literally). The defense was keeping the team in games all last year, but the offense wasn't able to give the defense time to rest or points to allow them to win the close games.

Gared

Gared

I haven't mentioned Manziel at all, but the Texans need a QB. Yes, this addition will just add another layer on the defense, but then we weren't getting blown out in most games unless the offense was throwing it away (literally). The defense was keeping the team in games all last year, but the offense wasn't able to give the defense time to rest or points to allow them to win the close games.
The Manziel comment was just from listening to the talking heads (who I don't think have been right since the Clowney pick) debate whether or not the Texans would take Manziel or Clowney.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He might be available when the Texans select in the 2nd round.

Gared

Gared

He may very well be at this rate.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, I forgot the Cowboys.

He won't be available beyond 16.

Gared

Gared

Oh, have they finally figured out that Romo isn't their guy?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I just feel bad they keep shoving the camera in his face after each team doesn't pick him. Way to pour some lemon in that wound.

Meanwhile, Odell Beckham? Um, okay. Not really having an issue with that.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Manziel will drop to the second round. Book it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

HA HA!

jwhouk

jwhouk

NCAA announces there will be no penalty for Johnny Manziel for his alleged sports memorabilia violations. They have determined that being drafted by the Browns is punishment enough.

Yeah, I know, easy shot.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I feel sorry for the Browns for buying into the hype.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Clowney, we picked freaking Clowney. We need a quarterback to get the offense going right, and we pick a defensive player with the #1 pick... AAARRRGGGHHHH!
Clowney was the best athlete available at that point in the draft. I don't really like Houston's tendency to pick D-lineman in the first round. Mario and JJ have worked out pretty well, but the others were total busts. I'll need to check what QB's will be available on Friday. Hopefully one of the contenders will still be open.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think the Vikes intentionally traded up because they knew Bridgewater wouldn't be there.

evilmike

evilmike

I think the Vikes intentionally traded up because they knew Bridgewater wouldn't be there.
There is another benefit to taking Bridgewater in the first round. The Vikings will have the option of adding a fifth year to his contract because he was a first round pick which they wouldn't have if he was taken in the second round.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah there was no chance Houston wouldn't take him, and Minny knew that.

I don't know how to feel. I really like Watkins, but I hate giving up our first rounder next year when we're by no means guaranteed to have a low draft pick.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The one bright side of the trade is that we at least look like we have a stacked receiving core. Watkins, Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Williams...
Wait what?
We traded Stevie Johnson, our best receiver for years for a 4th round pick in 2015?
Thats our Bills!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The one bright side of the trade is that we at least look like we have a stacked receiving core. Watkins, Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Williams...
Wait what?
We traded Stevie Johnson, our best receiver for years for a 4th round pick in 2015?
Thats our Bills!
But you guys have to be able to pay for Mario Williams.

blotsfan

blotsfan

We already paid approximately 60 million of his deal...

drifter

drifter

Josh Gordon fuck youuuuuuu

Tress

Tress

Awww yiss, Stevie Johnson. Crabtree, Boldin, and Johnson should be one helluva corps.

BErt

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...seys-made-recycled-bottles-practice-wednesday

I know it was meant seriously and literally, but I laughed so hard at the last line of this article.

Covar

Covar

Anyone check out NFL Now yet? I wasn't paying attention to it because of the lack of live games, but it looks like it's free, with a $2/month pro version. No live games is still terrible (as is $200+ for Sunday Ticket even if it didn't require DirecTV), but this might be a good replacement for my lack of ESPN.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not 2014 but I did get to meet one of the greatest... ROBERT NEWHOUSE. I was so sad when he passed.

BErt

Happy Cowboys Day, Dave!!

image.jpg

blotsfan

blotsfan

Talking trash over a preseason games seems a little petty.

BErt

Talking trash over a preseason games seems a little petty.
What?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh. I thought you were referencing this game which I remembered as 8-8. Also, winning 8 games isnt necessarily an insult to me.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Hey @jwhouk UWW's old QB is playing against the Bills.

Edit: He doesn't look very good.

jwhouk

jwhouk

We were a school based on running backs. Our QB just had to turn around, hand the ball off, and not lose the game.

blotsfan

blotsfan

That was a fun game. EJ even looked like a real NFL QB

Mathias

Mathias

Judo kick!

Mathias

Mathias

I made a video of it, hehehehe

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Still does not compare to Billy Sims.

Null

Null

Wow, the Colts really came back strong in that 2nd half. If they'd had Robert Mathis on the field, the Broncos would have been in serious trouble.

Dave

Dave

I'm in 5 fantasy football leagues. I think I got beat in all of them, although I'll probably beat Charlie in ours.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm in 5 fantasy football leagues. I think I got beat in all of them, although I'll probably beat Charlie in ours.

I have a little chance if Calvin Johnson gets a lot of receptions and Stafford's other throws are picks

BErt

I have a little chance if Calvin Johnson gets a lot of receptions and Stafford's other throws are picks
That's been our entire playbook the last 3 years so congrats on your win this week.

Dave

Dave

This just in! It's being reported that Ray Rice might be getting cut and if so he'll probably be out of football.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4645/ray-rice

Covar

Covar

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And now the Ravens twitter has confirmed that Ray Rice is released.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/509043216977371136

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And now the Ravens twitter has confirmed that Ray Rice is released.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/509043216977371136
Just got a similar alert from ESPN. Contract terminated.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Also, the Ravens should get absolutely zero credit. They didn't cut him for knocking his wife unconscious. Not at all. If that was the reason, he would have been fired on February 16th. He was fired because the PR from that video would be too vicious.

Dave

Dave

Also, the Ravens should get absolutely zero credit. They didn't cut him for knocking his wife unconscious. Not at all. If that was the reason, he would have been fired on February 16th. He was fired because the PR from that video would be too vicious.
That and they kept a murderer on the roster because he was a good player.

BErt

Roster nothing, they built him a statue!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

To be fair, they did not have video evidence showing Ray Lewis clearly stabbing someone until they died. Nor anything even close to that, proof-wise. Also even the wildest rumors only really agree on that Ray Lewis knew who killed them and wouldn't tell the cops. I don't think there was any semi-serious flying around rumors that Ray actually did the murdering.

I think the Ravens are the scummiest franchise in the NFL by a long margin, though, even with all that above.

Dave

Dave

The whole thing about Ray is, he held the guy up while someone else stabbed him. That's from one of the guys involved. But his testimony wasn't able to be upheld due to the fact that he was the stabber. Also, Ray's white outfit from that night mysteriously disappeared and the murder weapon was wiped clean of all prints or DNA. Oh, and then there's the fact that the victim's blood was found in Ray's car. Ray got out of it by rolling on his friends and selling them out, although they were both acquitted for lack of evidence.

So yeah, he's a quality individual. Doesn't take a video camera to say 1+1=2.

Zappit

Zappit

Lack of evidence due in part to a number of witnesses being intimidated and recanting.

Maybe the NFL and the teams, which have let every type of creep and criminal stay in the game, will finally pull their collective heads out of their asses and toss these violent offenders out.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There's been a dust-up on my Facebook today because one of my friends defended Rice, saying this was "single boneheaded, drunken elevator ride", and because he's "been a good guy" with charity work and anti-bullying, not to mention the woman in question marrying him, that people are making too big a deal about this. Said friend is also a die-hard Rutgers alum.

Needless to say, myself and a slew of people are ripping him a new one for statement.

Mathias

Mathias

bye bye, Ray Ray.

The whole thing about Ray is, he held the guy up while someone else stabbed him. That's from one of the guys involved. But his testimony wasn't able to be upheld due to the fact that he was the stabber. Also, Ray's white outfit from that night mysteriously disappeared and the murder weapon was wiped clean of all prints or DNA. Oh, and then there's the fact that the victim's blood was found in Ray's car. Ray got out of it by rolling on his friends and selling them out, although they were both acquitted for lack of evidence.

So yeah, he's a quality individual. Doesn't take a video camera to say 1+1=2.
Ray Lewis should be in prison, but instead gets a statue. What a country!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

bye bye, Ray Ray.

Ray Lewis should be in prison, but instead gets a statue. What a country!
Unfortunately, Joe Paterno died before he could be sent to prison, but we did tear down his statue! :)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Adam Schefter Reporting that Terry Pegula is buying the Bills.

ADAM SCHEFTER REPORTING THAT TERRY PEGULA IS BUYING THE BILLS!

ADAM SCHEFTER REPORTING THAT TERRY PEGULA IS BUYING THE BILLS!!!!!

ADAM SCHEFTER REPORTING THAT TERRY PEGULA IS BUYING THE BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

ADAM SCHEFTER REPORTING THAT TERRY PEGULA IS BUYING THE BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pleased with this news.

BErt

Hey, does anybody know if Adam Schefter is reporting that Terry Pegula is buying the Bills?

I'm asking for a friend.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Hey, does anybody know if Adam Schefter is reporting that Terry Pegula is buying the Bills?

I'm asking for a friend.
I haven't seen anything about that at all. Let me do some checking....

Apparently Adam Schefter is reporting that Terry Pegula is buying, uhm.. the Buffalo Bills.

Mathias

Mathias

Unfortunately, Joe Paterno died before he could be sent to prison, but we did tear down his statue! :)
You didn't do shit. You did what you always do and sit on your ass in front of a computer screen, and got offended. Way to cross post follow me around, by the way. Really cute.

I'd write up a nice long response to your idiocy, but it's just not worth it. It's clear (par the course for you) that you never read the Freeh report, you only read media headlines, and have no interest in the case other than wanting to crucify Joe Paterno. Why? Because that's what piece of shit internet warriors like you do. You don't contribute to anything; you're utterly useless.

If you want to take the word of an incompetent FBI director who was more concerned with covering up Tom Corbett's involvement in the Sandusky case, and who's report was full of speculated conclusions, be my guest. I find it hilariously hypocritical and ironic that the new NCAA sexual violence SOP released in August is almost word for word how Paterno handled himself during that whole fiasco. Paterno had more character and did more for PSU and PA overall than you can ever hope to accomplish, and he was certainly a better person and role model than Ray Lewis.

Question. Why do you hang around Halforums? Virtually no one wants you around. Your input towards any sort of construction conversation is exactly 0. Go away and find a community that embraces your bullshit.

blotsfan

blotsfan

To clarify my excitement, Pegula was the only bidder who was committed to keeping the team in Buffalo. Bon Jovis group was backed by Toronto people and Donald Trump is Donald Trump.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I do not want The Donald anywhere near the NFL. I still hate him for killing the USFL.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Paterno thing was a comparable situation, since it was someone disgraced who had their mark on history completely rubbed out once conclusive proof (not as much as the Ray Rice video, but still) came out that they were a piece of shit with no integrity that didn't stop children from being raped :)

Mathias

Mathias

What conclusive proof? The Freeh report isn't conclusive. As I've mentioned, the NCAA handbook protocol for sexual violence is word for word based on the Sandusky scandal and the SOP established is exactly how Paterno handled it.

Whatever, you're an idiot, and I can't believe I'm giving you the attention. You're blocked. Good luck with your pathetic, sad existence Neutered Chuck.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

anyways, the Titans look really great this year and are gonna win the AFC South.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Janay Rice said:
"I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend. But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare in itself. No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass of for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"
This is where I don't like employers having "morality" clauses. Now the victim of the attack has lost her income too.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This is where I don't like employers having "morality" clauses. Now the victim of the attack has lost her income too.
The media didn't throw that punch in the elevator. The league didn't drag her into the lobby unconscious. This is still all at Ray's feet and no one else.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I feel for Janay, I honestly do. I'm not going to speculate why she's stayed in an abusive relationship because it happens all too often, and the victim continues to feel like it's "their fault" somehow. She's being burdened with the blame for her husband's own stupid actions. But people commit criminal offenses every day, and they shouldn't get excused for them because they're selfish actions would make other people suffer. Hopefully, like those families, she will find alternate means of employment/income and find some peace in her life.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The media didn't throw that punch in the elevator. The league didn't drag her into the lobby unconscious. This is still all at Ray's feet and no one else.
The courts decided it was in their best interest that he completed some sort of course instead of going to jail. The NFL thought it was in their best interest that he only be briefly suspended. It is just now that they see the actual assault, that they will punish him beyond their own principles? What did they think it would look like to knock someone unconscious?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The courts decided it was in their best interest that he completed some sort of course instead of going to jail. The NFL thought it was in their best interest that he only be briefly suspended. It is just now that they see the actual assault, that they will punish him beyond their own principles? What did they think it would look like to knock someone unconscious?
It's just now that we see the actual assault. And the courts and the league got it wrong the first time.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I forget who said it when I was watching ESPN yesterday, but the NFL has had a long tradition of "making things go away" with the help of the "right" law enforcement and officials if it suits their franchise. The "problem" happened not because they weren't aware of the severity, but when they didn't think they'd get caught, i.e. the public would see the actual footage.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So, shocker of all shockers, the NFL had seen the video before. Goodell needs to just step down already.

Dave

Dave

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...Goodell's credibility flying away!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Ooooh this is a fun quote people have been posting.

Roger Goodell said:
Ignorance is not an excuse.
This was after the poorly handled Saints bounty scandal.

drifter

drifter

James Harrison sent a hilarious tweet to Goodell's Twitter account: "ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun huh?"

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

An "independent" committee to investigate? With two owners with strong ties to Goodell overseeing it? Bullshit.

The league just wants to stall and hope the media finds a new shiny in the interim.

Dave

Dave

The FBI is now looking into it. Not sure why.

Covar

Covar

Because if a crime took place (witholding evidence), it would be a Federal case I believe.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The FBI is now looking into it. Not sure why.
Is this different than a former FBI director heading the NFL's investigation?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want to start a twitter feed just to repost double entendres from the color commentators during NFL games.

the D had good penetration

He went to the sideline for a blow

Tonight's winner, "Flacco can really jam it into really tight spaces."

Dave

Dave

Adrian Peterson of the Vikings has been indicted for beating his kid with a switch. Ruled as felony child abuse. Stay tuned for another NFL wild ride week.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Adrian Peterson of the Vikings has been indicted for beating his kid with a switch. Ruled as felony child abuse. Stay tuned for another NFL wild ride week.
Shit! in East Texas, where he's from, that is called good parenting.

Edit:
I read the story. The kid had bruises and cuts from the switch. While I received that type of punishment, I was never cut or bruised by it.

drifter

drifter

Dang, just saw the pics (which apparently are a week old). What are the odds the Vikings just straight up release AD?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Dang, just saw the pics (which apparently are a week old). What are the odds the Vikings just straight up release AD?
Zero. Less than Zero. What's negative infiniti?

drifter

drifter

I mean, that's what I'd expect, but to me this seems worse than Ray Rice, so I gotta wonder if that option is on the table.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't think it's as bad. I bet that Peterson had this done to him as a kid and honestly views it as a way to punish a child. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished but his actions didn't almost kill the kid, unlike what rice did.

Tress

Tress

If Ray Rice's dad hit his mom when he was growing up, would you offer up the same argument? Would that make it not as bad, or would hitting his fiancé still be just as despicable?

My point is that hitting your kid that severely is inexcusable. If you grew up like that, you can still educate yourself and choose not to continue the cycle.

Dave

Dave

I'm in the camp of spanking your kids as a necessary tool of discipline. I know that's unpopular. But I'm talking a swat to the butt, not grabbing a switch or belt or ruler and leaving welts. There are a couple facts with this that makes me angry.
  1. Age of the child. This kid was four years old. That's an age where this kind of abuse will be deeply implanted. An older kid might realize why he was receiving the discipline, but a four year old lacks the capacity to consider it a "lesson". Besides, what could a four year old have done to merit such a beating? I was beat by my dad a grand total of once. I was 14 and got caught stealing from the neighbor's house. The lesson I got I never forgot, but I still wasn't left with the injuries this kid got.
  2. The injuries. Have you seen the pictures? They were taken a week later and it really looked like he was whipped with an actual whip. It was way, way, WAY beyond discipline and was definitely abuse.
  3. The attitude of Peterson. He still sees nothing wrong with it. He thinks deliberately injuring your child in such a way is acceptable. He'll issue an apology once they make him, but for now he's surprised at everyone's reaction. And this is from a guy whose own son was killed by an abuser.
I like AP. I liked Ray Rice. But they both fucked up in such a way that is and should be unacceptable. If the NFL doesn't give him the same treatment as Rice, it tells people we are now valuing women (because we have to), but kids not so much.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I missed the part where the kid claims Peterson punched him in the face and had a "belt room." That's 100% wrong.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Holy shit. Today.

First home game at the renovated Ralph.
First home game since Ralph Wilson died.
Honoring Bills hall of famers.
Most famous of those hall of famers is CANCER FREE!
The Bills are staying in Buffalo!
Playing fucking miami.

This is going to be such a great atmosphere and I cant wait and I cant believe Ill be there and...
SQUISH THE FISH!

blotsfan

blotsfan

What an amazing game to be at. I think Jim Kelly's ovation was over 2 minutes and would've been longer but he told the crowd to stop.

Dave

Dave

Bills are 2-0! Not a bad start in that Division.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Wait...they fucking won?!

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Adrian Peterson's been re-instated, for week 3 at least.

Dave

Dave

I disagree with this and think that the Vikings will take a lot of shit.

Bet he'd still be inactive had they won yesterday.

blotsfan

blotsfan

My fantasy team was awful this week. I started AJ Green and Matt Ryan, among other disasters. I was the 2nd worst team in the league. Third worst was 22 points higher than me.

The worst team was my opponent.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I disagree with this and think that the Vikings will take a lot of shit.

Bet he'd still be inactive had they won yesterday.
Raddison is the first domino to fall. If more follow, maybe then the league will finally pay attention.

Dave

Dave

They shut down an established and semi-official Vikings message forum in protest. VikingsMessageBoard.com is shut permanently.

The announcement was:

Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.
  1. The Vikings' cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.
  2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, [jerks].
The funniest part about this is the way that Yahoo ended the article:

Yahoo Sports' comments remain open below, and we are certain that you will offer insightful, measured responses to both this and the Adrian Peterson story as a whole.
:rofl:

Shakey

Shakey

I hope this doesn't blow over, and I'd be happy if he were dropped. Let him go to the Cowboys if that's what he wants. I think what bugs me the most is he isn't one bit apologetic about it.

Most of the people I've talked to that still support him haven't seen the pictures. They think he spanked his kid and gave him a few swats with a switch. The extent of the kids injuries really needs to be emphasized.

I'm a bit torn as to whether he should be suspended yet or not. I think no matter what, he deserves a chance to defend himself. Until then, I don't think he should be punished for it. But then again, he doesn't deny anything. He just believes there's nothing wrong with what he did.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Adrian Peterson's been re-instated, for week 3 at least.
Not any more.

Tress

Tress

The NFL wants to show you that they take this very seriously. Child abuse is one thing; they can totally let that slide. But you create a PR disaster for them and possibly cost them a few bucks? Your ass is outta here.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I do find it ironic that Budweiser is objecting to violent behavior. I mean come on, how much violent behavior have you caused Bud?

Covar

Covar

I do find it ironic that Budweiser is objecting to violent behavior. I mean come on, how much violent behavior have you caused Bud?
what we need is prohibition, am I right?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

what we need is prohibition, am I right?
It worked so well the first time.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Remember Bud does not support violence.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Because theres no difference when both parties consent to the violence and theres someone watching to stop it if it looks like someone could get seriously injured?

Dave

Dave

So this incident happened in July. Why was he just now arrested? Not saying he shouldn't have, but the timing is just odd.

In any event, I just picked up the guy many thought would be taking top RB there anyway. We'll see.

Tress

Tress

So this incident happened in July. Why was he just now arrested? Not saying he shouldn't have, but the timing is just odd.
Well, they probably had to gather evidence and get the case together. But the timing is suspiciously perfect for making this worse for the NFL.

jwhouk

jwhouk

On the one hand, the NFL isn't known as the "National Felons League" for nothing.

On the other hand, this seems a little... I dunno... coincidental that the report of the arrest happened now. You know, in the middle of the season. And in the middle of the biggest PR mess in the league's recent history.

The only thing that could be worse is if the NFL discovered there was a star player betting on football games... (see #4)

blotsfan

blotsfan

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, guess I won't have to worry about any pesky cases of "Packer Flu" come January...

Dave

Dave

How 'bout them Cowboys?!?

Enjoy it, boys, Brees is a'comin' next week. And it's going to be brutal.

Gared

Gared

Welp, guess I won't have to worry about any pesky cases of "Packer Flu" come January...
What the hell happened today? I didn't see any of the game, or any highlights, or any commentary - just boom "Detroit 19 Green Bay 7" along the bottom of the screen.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Offense was flat, defense was a sieve, and Aaron Rodgers pulled a "Favre."

Dave

Dave

In fantasy football this week I'm a winner outright in 4 of my leagues and only need 2 points from Nick Folk to win in my 5th.

Nick Foles is my starting QB in three of them and it kills me to root for Philly as a Dallas fan. I hope they lose in a shootout every week.

Covar

Covar

:rage: Congrats Dave

Why do I subject myself to this arbitrary game again?

Dave

Dave

I'm the top scorer in three of the leagues, although Bumble is going to pass me here after the massive week he had.

One thing that's funny is that I'm the top scorer in my 24 team league. Think of that. Out of 24 teams I score more than any of them.

I'm 1-2 and this week was my first win. Sometimes luck just isn't with you. I'm also the guy with the highest points against total.

evilmike

evilmike

I ran across a couple of interesting articles about the Ray Rice story today:

At theMMQB, Steelers Cornerback William Gay commented:

A lot of people have asked me for my thoughts about the Ray Rice situation. They want to know if I think the punishment has been fair. With all due respect to the commissioner, I couldn’t care less about what the punishment was. My concern is not about how many games Ray Rice is going to play or not play. This isn’t about games or football; it’s about the bigger picture. It’s about life itself. If that situation had escalated, the woman could have died and a little girl could have grown up without a mother.

If we’re going to fix this problem in the NFL, our focus can’t be solely on what the punishments should be. The main priority needs to be helping victims—to show them how they can be heroes. The league needs to be asking, Why is this occurring? And how can we help prevent this? The NFL needs to focus on setting up programs that can help men and women have healthy relationships. Let players know about what facilities or services are available. We, as players, need to continue talking about this. Keep the issue of domestic violence in the conversation to raise awareness. That’s where our energy needs to be.
His mother was a victim of domestic abuse. He talks about it in a PSA for the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh.

In other news, ESPN’s Bill Simmons has been suspended 3 weeks for calling Roger Goodell a liar over the Ray Rice issue.
SoundCloud

Dave

Dave

Goes to show how far ESPN has sold out to the leagues. ESPN used to be about sports reporting and now it's nothing but a score-giving love-fest. If the NFL had a dick, ESPN would have worn out kneecaps from all the sucking.

Dave

Dave

Mother-fucking-COWBOYS!!!

Oh, yeah! Who dat? Nobody!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Mother-fucking-COWBOYS!!!

Oh, yeah! Who dat? Nobody!
JJ Watt and the rest of the Texans are coming to town.

Gonna be a good game.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

JJ Watt and the rest of the Texans are coming to town.

Gonna be a good game.
I grew up just outside Dallas, and grew up on Staubach and Tony Dorsett. But now I live near Houston and I've watched this team closely, and I've gone to at least a game a year for the last decade...

So I'll bring 4 t-shirts to the party and change them out each quarter.

blotsfan

blotsfan

JJ watt is scary

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Dave

Dave

WHAT?!? Are you fucking kidding me?!? I coulda gone to that game! Go Doc!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

@Docseverin wins life.

/end_forums

jwhouk

jwhouk

AARON
SAYS
RELAX.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Don't do it.

Null

Null

When you wanna go to it.

Dave

Dave

Fuck Eddie Lacy. In my big league his scoring is as follows:
  1. 7 points
  2. 7 points
  3. 2 points
  4. 12 points
And of course, the week he plays against me.

32 fucking points.

blotsfan

blotsfan

It's official! The Bills are here to stay!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Fuck Eddie Lacy. In my big league his scoring is as follows:
  1. 7 points
  2. 7 points
  3. 2 points
  4. 12 points
And of course, the week he plays against me.

32 fucking points.
Kwik Trip has a promotion where it is selling player photo cups as their "Big Gulp"-like drinks for this season.

I guess I'll have to send you an Eddie Lacy one... ;)

Dave

Dave

Mother. Fucking. COWBOYS, BABY!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Mother. Fucking. COWBOYS!!!
Small edit and you get the sentiment i had while watching the game.

Tress

Tress

I look forward to their inevitable collapse in December, which always leads to Cowboys fans whining about Romo not being a winner as the defense gives up 50+ points per game.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dave

Dave

How 'bout NO!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

There's an arrogance surrounding this year's Steelers that's makes me glad I'm going to wind up sleeping through this whole season. If getting their teeth kicked in by the Browns didn't get their attention, nothing will. And this lot will deserve to crash and burn.

Dave

Dave

Seattle just traded Percy Harvin to the Jets. Holy shit.

drifter

drifter

Yeah, seeing rumors about Percy's locker room behavior being the catalyst.

Gared

Gared

Apparently the reason he didn't make the trip to Oakland for the pre-season game was because he'd gotten in a fight with Doug Baldwin, and was "dealing with anger management problems."

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meaning he tore up the post-game spread. ;)

blotsfan

blotsfan

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

-shit we didnt play well...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

General Specific

General Specific

So, NFC South seems to be the worst division in football currently.

Somehow my Panthers are leading it w/ a record of 3-3-1. We will see how long that lasts.

Our O-line cannot block anyone, so it is only a matter of time before Cam goes down with an injury. Our secondary is so soft we basically escort people into the endzone. Our RBs are rotating on & off the injured list and our big rookie receiver can't seem to keep himself from pushing off on every other reception he makes.

It's going to be a long year.

Dave

Dave

And the NFC East looks like a 2-team race with Dallas & Philly beating everyone up. And next up for Dallas is Washington, and then a tough one against Arizona. Then Jax. So Dallas could go in to the bye week at 8-2 or even 9-1. Amazing for a team I thought would be 5-11.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And the NFC East looks like a 2-team race with Dallas & Philly beating everyone up. And next up for Dallas is Washington, and then a tough one against Arizona. Then Jax. So Dallas could go in to the bye week at 8-2 or even 9-1. Amazing for a team I thought would be 5-11.
Yeah, I was in the same boat as you. I love the team, but the off season moves seemed to hurt the team. I am pretty happy to be wrong though.

Gared

Gared

I think we can all agree that the Seahawks are going to have one hell of an awesome unbuilding year this year. Which is good, Seattle can go back to being bitterly pessimistic about our sports teams, the way it should be.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't mind me. I'm relaxed. :)

drifter

drifter

Emmanual Sanders, you beautiful bastard.

Dave

Dave

I know, right? I have him in 2 of my big money leagues and I played him in both.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Bears basically down to three practice squad players and a high school kicker in the secondary, and it shows today. That might be the worst performance I've ever seen a supposed NFL secondary do.

Gared

Gared

Bears basically down to three practice squad players and a high school kicker in the secondary, and it shows today. That might be the worst performance I've ever seen a supposed NFL secondary do.
And now you lost a DE to a sack-celebration ACL tear.

Meanwhile, the Seatards are apparently now trying to trade Marshawn Lynch (and if they can't get rid of him by the trade deadline, they're predicting he won't be back next season). I guess we don't suck badly enough with just missing Rice, Harvin, and Tate. With any luck, we should be able to get rid of the Legion of Boom as well, and go back to being a truly pathetic waste of a franchise. It's odd, I could have sworn that the Heehawks had a completely different ownership and front office staff than the Moroners, but I guess I was wrong. Fucking Seattle teams.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This was inevitable. You get a ton of talented young players are the same time, they're gonna want to get paid.

Gared

Gared

This was inevitable. You get a ton of talented young players are the same time, they're gonna want to get paid.
Yep, and it's only going to get worse. We're going to try over and over again to keep finding budget superstars, all in the hopes that we can hit that magic combination again, while the only two players that consistently show up for the game are the place kicker and the punter.

drifter

drifter

Marcus Lattimore has decided to retire. Tough break, everything I hear about the guy is he's a great person.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Thats too bad. That injury was really brutal. I was really hoping he was going to make it.

drifter

drifter

So it sounds like Peterson will plead no contest to one count of misdemeanor reckless assault. No jail time, no count of child abuse or domestic violence. Ball is now in the NFL and the Vikings court.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

. Ball is now in the NFL and the Vikings court.
I rated that a pun, but only because we don't have a mixed metaphor rating

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-to-ryan-mallett/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Texans bench Fitzpatrick (The Lorax) for Mallett.

Many of my H-town friends will be very happy.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm just hoping that a change will help, because Fitzpatrick just seemed to be getting wilder and wilder with his passing.

BErt

Nope. No, I will not get excited. Not yet. Can't make me. Too often...no.

Terrik

Terrik

Damnit Steelers.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Relax.

:)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Don't do it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That's what Frankie says.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

@Frank-ie?

jwhouk

jwhouk

"AFTER FURTHER REVIEW... THE BEARS STILL SUCK."

Dave

Dave

Did you see New Orleans get completely fucked due to a soccer-level flop?

BErt

Did the Bears kill Aaron Rodgers' parents? What's happening here?

Dave

Dave

I think they kicked his dog and called his mom a dirty whore.

drifter

drifter

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well the county government said they're not going to send police to handle the Bills game on Sunday because of the snow. I can't imagine the game happening without them.

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!

Dei

Dei

In all seriousness I feel like they need to cancel the game. My dad is part of the plow team that clears out the Bills parking lots and they haven't even made it over there yet because OP IS A MESS.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Eh it really sounds like it'll be normal snow by Tuesday at the latest. No need to cancel for that.

Dei

Dei

I don't think you realize what shit is going to be like after it starts raining on that 6 feet+ of snow.

Also, that shit is still coming down. My parents live pretty close to The Ralph and their pics are absurd.

Dei

Dei

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

There was talk of moving the game to Pittsburgh earlier in the day.

Paging @stienman. This is right up your alley. Who has to foot the bill for all the local resources an unexpected NFL game will eat up? Will the NFL reimburse Detroit for the extra public safety expenses?

General Specific

General Specific

In other league news, Vegas odds makers are favoring the Bye Week 20-13 over the Panthers this sunday

Celt Z

Celt Z

Okay, even if we don't win this game, holy sh*t, Odell Beckham Jr., that was a CATCH!! :eek:

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Okay, even if we don't win this game, holy sh*t, Odell Beckham Jr., that was a CATCH!! :eek:
The catch, for anyone who didn't see it.

So glad he's on my fantasy team.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He basically pinched the ball between his fingers and thumb.

Impressive. But Lynn Swann and John Stallworth say hello.

EDIT: Oh, and some guy named "Clark."

jwhouk

jwhouk

...and you didn't win the game.

Celt Z

Celt Z

...and you didn't win the game.
Nope, we didn't, but I could watch that touchdown and David Tyree's Superbowl catch over and over. :D

Dave

Dave

Too bad it was OFFENSIVE pass interference. He grabbed the defender's arm and pulled him down. And the call was against the Cowboys? Bullshit. Like the fumble that was obvious but reversed right before the touchdown. The Cowboys won, but the officials really liked the Giants early in the game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, the refs were trying to do everything they could to keep the Vikings in the game against the Packers yesterday, too.

Bad officiating? Or an attempt to maintain the "Any Given Sunday" mantra?

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Too bad it was OFFENSIVE pass interference. He grabbed the defender's arm and pulled him down. And the call was against the Cowboys? Bullshit. Like the fumble that was obvious but reversed right before the touchdown. The Cowboys won, but the officials really liked the Giants early in the game.
No way, Carr was all over Beckham and pulling on his jersey, that was totally on the cowboys.

You can see it more in the video, at no point does Beckham grab Carr.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...es-the-greatest-nfl-catch-ever-021823479.html

Dave

Dave

He grabs his arm and pulls him down!

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

At what point? At about 26 seconds in, their arms get tied up a bit, but Beckham's hand is clearly not on Carr. Carr grabs Beckham's jersey though, and trying to pull him down there is what takes him down.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Titans have a really brutal stretch of 4 games before the finale. Texans, Giants, Jets, and Jaguars. At least you can't say the #1 pick in the draft will have fully earned it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The Titans have a really brutal stretch of 4 games before the finale. Texans, Giants, Jets, and Jaguars. At least you can't say the #1 pick in the draft will have fully earned it.
I wouldn't say the Texans are that tough of a test now, we're having to go back to Fitzpatrick again...

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I wouldn't say the Texans are that tough of a test now, we're having to go back to Fitzpatrick again...
Given that he included the Jaguars and the Jets in this "brutal stretch of games", I think it's a safe bet he wasn't serious.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm meaning that the offensive nature of the offense will resume being that they don't even measure up to the bad that those guys have.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I meant brutal as in. It will be brutal to watch. All of them (maybe not the Texans) are in line for a single digit draft pick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I really hope that the Texans will play Savage instead.

Since the Cowboys played down to the Giants level Sunday, I hope they play up the Eagles tomorrow.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Doesn't look like Savage is getting the start, but he is the #1 backup and at least has a chance to play.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Mettenberger! Savage! It's the QB matchup literally no one on earth wanted to see other than their parents!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Even they may not want it. Mettenberger has to dodge Watt and Clowney.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Even they may not want it. Mettenberger has to dodge Watt and Clowney.
with an offensive line that was really bad before they lost 3 starters[DOUBLEPOST=1417041706,1417041674][/DOUBLEPOST]GO TITANS!!!!!

*stares blankly ahead at the wall for 30 minutes*

Piotyr

Piotyr

Since week 3 when both starting corners and a linebacker and safety all went out for the year, the Bears secondary has allowed the opposing QB a 72% completion rate.

The best completion rate in the NFL for a QB is 70%.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cam Newton just had another Drive that ended in a Turnover.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Since week 3 when both starting corners and a linebacker and safety all went out for the year, the Bears secondary has allowed the opposing QB a 72% completion rate.

The best completion rate in the NFL for a QB is 70%.
Yeah, but most of that was their two games against Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay.

Dave

Dave

Cam Newton just had another Drive that ended in a Turnover.

Turns out he fractured his back in two places. Same injury and place that Tony Romo had from the Washington game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

December Romo is Romo'ing.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

December Romo is Romo'ing.
Cowboys as a whole were Romo'ing, but they just extended the lead. Maybe they were afraid they would have to ride home with JJ as punishment.

Dave

Dave

There's still time.

They always find a way to break my heart.

On the bright side, it looks like I'm winning 5 of 5 of my fantasy football games this week. Two of them are in playoffs and will send me to the championship.[DOUBLEPOST=1418616207,1418616191][/DOUBLEPOST]On both of them I have Romo and Dez.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yaaaaay, we beat Washington yesterday. It doesn't count for much, but a win's a win.

Meanwhile, watching Mr. Z lament his Jets is both terrible and hilarious. Checking in on last night's game: ".....wha? Why are we winning? Stop it, you [idiots]! We're trying to get into the Super Mario bowl! You can't even get losing right!"

General Specific

General Specific

So the Panthers, at 5-8-1, have a chance to take over first place in the NFC South if the Saints lose to the Bears tonight. This season has just been ridiculous.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There have been call to do away with the divisions, because Seattle, Dallas, or Philly could get knocked out of the playoffs because a losing team will win the NFC South. I feel if you can not win your division, you don't really belong in the playoffs anyway.

To me divisions are good for the sport, rivalries puts butts in the seats.

Tress

Tress

A simple rule change would fix it. The division winner has to have a winning record overall for their playoff spot. Otherwise, the next wild card team gets it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

To me divisions are good for the sport, rivalries puts butts in the seats.
Winning teams put butts in seats.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Winning teams put butts in seats.
That's true, but even in off years or just a bad luck season, the rivalry games will still bring in more paying tickets than a inter-conference game that you play them once every few years.

BErt

It took some doing to be sure, but I am going to be at Lambeau on the 28th to watch my Lions probably lose the division to the Packers in horrific fashion. One more off the "must-see sports venue" list :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Lambeau isn't easy to get into, congrats. Good luck.

Zappit

Zappit

Holy smokes, Seattle. You completely forgot how to football in the first half. What a comeback!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It also helped that Green Bay's defense and special teams forgot how to football in the second half.

Damn it, I don't want Seattle winning back-to-back titles! :mad:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meh. Kinda wish this woulda happened last week.
Hawks over Pats in 'Zona.

Zappit

Zappit

It also helped that Green Bay's defense and special teams forgot how to football in the second half.

Damn it, I don't want Seattle winning back-to-back titles! :mad:
Then root for the Pats.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Then root for the Pats.
Fuck, my choice is basically:

Zappit

Zappit

Wow. The Patriots absolutely looked like the best team in the NFL tonight.

Celt Z

Celt Z

...meh.

Tress

Tress

Two teams I hate in the Super Bowl? Yaaaaaay. :facepalm:

jwhouk

jwhouk

There's at least a reason why some Wisconsinites can root for the Seachickens in the Super Bowl. But it's really limited to DangeRussell.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I'm wearing my Patriots hoodie with pride.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

So now that the NFL has examined the Patriots' balls, what is going to happen?

Zappit

Zappit

So now that the NFL has examined the Patriots' balls, what is going to happen?
Probably nothing. It sounds too ridiculous to be anything serious. Given how the Patriots have blown out Luck-led Colts teams in the past, (averaging 20+ difference) they really didn't need to do anything sneaky. Plus, cold weather does deflate balls naturally, and it was cold at Foxboro. Ask any teacher who's done outdoor recess duty during the winter months, and they can tell you it happens quickly and that the balls can really lose their bounce.

Plus, the NFL has ignored this kind of thing in the past. Aaron Rogers has admitted he prefers to get the ball overinflated, past the required level. They never did anything about that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This coach I worked for used to deflate the balls too. Before each game the refs check the pressure on each team's game balls. Then the coach would pull a pump needle out of his wallet and deflate the balls. I was pretty freaking stunned. This was a guy that used to coach in the NCAA for decades too. It would seem that it is a pretty widespread cheat.

Covar

Covar

Belichick cheats again. Against a team he could have handily beat anyway. Again. I'm not shocked, but rather sad at how many people excuse it.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Plus, cold weather does deflate balls naturally, and it was cold at Foxboro.
I thought about this, too. It does make sense that the cold weather can have an effect on their balls.

Covar

Covar

Reports say they were 2lbs below the allowed limit, and the Colts balls weren't under suspect.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Now Johnson is saying he paid to have his balls altered prior to Super Bowl XXXVII.

evilmike

evilmike

Now Johnson is saying he paid to have his balls altered prior to Super Bowl XXXVII.
It isn't the same issue because it wasn't about creating an unfair advantage for one team over the other.

Rich Gannon spoke to SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday and said:
“And again, ‘doctored the balls’ makes it sound like you’re cheating, but all you’re trying to do is make sure they’re not slick. I think it’s a non-story, quite frankly. And it’s not the reason we lost.’’ (via TBO)

Covar

Covar

Doctored the balls is subverting the rules in order to provide yourself with an advantage over your opponent. It is very much cheating. Is it the reason the Colts lost? No, but it's still cheating, and the Colts sucking only makes it more pathetic. It's not the first instance, but all that's going to happen is a slap on the wrist. Belichick will be on his way, and continue to use any opportunity to gain an upper hand.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...524540.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news&ir=Good News

Now I actually have some interest in the "Super" bowl. :)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I thought about this, too. It does make sense that the cold weather can have an effect on their balls.
There's a Seinfeld episode about that.

...so does that mean Tom Brady is George Costanza?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

And I just got around to learning about this scandal. The balls were discovered at halftime and the issue presumably fixed at that point. At halftime,the game was close and Brady had thrown an interception. With proper balls in the second half the Patriots kicked ass.

If the Patriots did cheat they should be glad they were caught when they were.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

For my work I measure things, including pressure. All of us at work are giggling at the idea that the NFL uses a pressure gauge accurate to measure something as small as two psi.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If you know the volume of a football (same every time) cant you just weigh it to figure it out?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Not without standardizing the other variables.

From a scientific point of view the NFL has been just paying lip service with their ball checks. They are essentially turning a blind eye to how the QBs treat the football's so that they can score more points.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...e-012115ive-retort-to-nfl-deflategate-012115/

These guys almost got it right!

Now this video is hilarious.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-video-how-nfl-officials-check-game-ball-pressure/

If you watch the video from a scientific point of view, there isn't any type of discussion to be had about ball pressure. The best the NFL can claim is that the balls are 13 psi-ish give or take a few. By their own guidelines, the balls are inflated to 13psi±0.5psi. They make no other statements. There is nothing in their rules about any other variables or the quality of the measuring devices used. You can have the balls measured at any ambient temperature or pressure you want. Did you notice how quickly the balls were tested after they cut the seal on the bag? I would assume (sorry for assuming) they do it quickly so that no questions about possession can be raised, but that leaves very little time for acclimatization. When ever a pressure devices comes in to be tested at my workplace, the first thing it does is sit on the shelf for a minimum of four hours to allow the unit to come to the same temperature and pressure as the unit being used to test it.

And something that no one seems to mention or even know about is that the instruments used to test air pressure can change as well if their environment changes, even more so if they are mechanical in nature. In my lab our temperature, humidity, pressure are constantly monitored, because even slight variations can cause our measurements to not be repeatable rendering them useless. Cause when your measuring things to 10 millionths of an inch, a half a degree temperature change is a pretty big deal. And a 20 degree swing in temperature on a mechanical pressure test is huge!

Now in the video the ref appears to be using a Tachikara Ball Gauge. They sell for $10 at Wal-Mart. They do not offer any specifics as to it's accuracy or quality. It has divisions of 0.2 psi, but that does not mean it is accurate to 0.2 psi, it only means that it's highest possible accuracy is 0.2 psi. Another draw back to this style of gauge is that it is a dial face. For a dial face to be really accurate it has to be large enough for you to see clearly, and for the accuracy required by the NFL it would so big that it would not fit in your hand and would need to have a mirrored surface to eliminate parallax error. The Tachikara has neither of those features.

If you wanted to have a gauge that was accurate enough to measure the required pressure for the NFL, you would need something like this; they start around $500

http://www.coleparmer.ca/Product/Digital_Industrial_Gauge_30_psi_Battery_Powered/RK-68338-06

Now this wall of text has been spurted for two reasons;

one it's fun to talk about work related things for a change on Halforums,

two if the NFL does anything other than make this go away and say that there was no harm no foul and that changes will be made going forward, Tom Brady could easily sue their pants off for damaging his brand by being labelled a cheat when there is no actually way to prove that he did

TLDR: the uncertainty of the gauges used to measure the pressure in NFL footballs is so great that you can't actually measure the pressure in NFL footballs

Necronic

Necronic

I'm just here so I don't get fined.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He got fined.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

GRAH! One fucking catch! ONE! That's all the hawks needed! GRRRRRRRRRRRRAH!

Gared

Gared

God damn it. Who the fuck throws the ball from the 1 yard line with Lynch in the backfield?!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

After that damn miracle catch you think it was aaaaaaaaaaaaall gravy, but NOPE- miss. GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Zappit

Zappit

YES! It looked like David Tyree all over again. Still can't believe Carroll chose a pass play, especially when a Lynch rumor two could have won AND finished off the clock. Was he just arrogant? That one's going to haunt him for years. Classy way for Seattle to finish that one up by starting a brawl, too.

The Sports Illustrated cover curse strikes again. Still, that has to be one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever played. Say whatever you want about either team, but that game was amazing.

Gared

Gared

YES! It looked like David Tyree all over again. Still can't believe Carroll chose a pass play, especially when a Lynch rumor two could have won AND finished off the clock. Was he just arrogant? That one's going to haunt him for years. Classy way for Seattle to finish that one up by starting a brawl, too.

The Sports Illustrated cover curse strikes again. Still, that has to be one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever played. Say whatever you want about either team, but that game was amazing.
Yeah, that brawl was just bullshit.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

After missing a pass like that, I'd be filled with enough rage to start a rumble as well.

Zappit

Zappit

I'm sure PEDs had nothing to do with that, right Coach Carroll? Pete?

Edit: Jeremy Lane broke his arm after that interception...badly.

Spoiler'd because OHMIGOD. :Leyla:

Dave

Dave

Well, the Pats didn't pay off the refs this time, that's for sure. The offensive play caller for the Seahawks, maybe.

What a stupid fucking call. They had the clock, they have one of the best goal-line RBs in the business...and they pass?!? They deserved to lose on stupidity alone.

Terrik

Terrik

Too soon  - Imgur.gif

jwhouk

jwhouk

As has been pointed out, that's the fourth consecutive week in the playoffs that a game was decided by one play, late.

Gared

Gared

The reason Carroll is giving for throwing the ball on that play is because they knew the Pats would be in a goal line rush defense and they wanted to throw it on second and then run on third and fourth. And if it had worked, no one would have questioned it.

And yeah, that broken arm on Lane is pretty horrific.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This costume was part of NBC's pre-game show. How in the hell did that happen?

Zappit

Zappit

That was honestly the least bizarre outfit they could get Johnny Weir to wear.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This costume was part of NBC's pre-game show. How in the hell did that happen?
I feel like this would have been in the Back to the Future ll bar mitzvah scene.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Well, Brady is still perfect in the Superbowl against quarterbacks not named Eli. Woo!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Why not, I'll get in on the Pete Carroll meme bandwagon:

Pete Carroll Laugh Throw.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wish I could find the "fart smelling face" that Tom Brady made when the NFL gave him a crappy Chevy Mid-Sized Truck for winning the MVP award.

Covar

Covar

Can we blame him? All they could provide his Lordship was a measly common vehicle like a Chevrolet, and a truck at that. You know who uses trucks? Laborers. How is he expected to be seen driving in that. It's disgusting and unbefitting a man of his class?

drifter

drifter

Befitting, then, that he gave the truck to the Butler.

GasBandit

GasBandit

jwhouk

jwhouk

Stay Classy, Seattle.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh no! You had to go one whole year without a championship. How sad for you.

Gared

Gared

Stay Classy, Seattle.
Hey now... we were never classy. Last Superbowl we decided to celebrate by breaking the glass out of a newly-restored, historic, art-deco cupola.

evilmike

evilmike

(via io9)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Bills trade kiko Alonso for lesean McCoy. Beyond stupid trade for us.

Tress

Tress

Bills trade kiko Alonso for lesean McCoy. Beyond stupid trade for us.
Please remind me, who is "us"? Are you an Eagles fan?

That seems like a crazy good trade for Buffalo... and kinda shitty for Philly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Houston is to cut Future Hall of Famer Andre Johnson. There is still a chance for a trade. I kinda wished he jumped ship five years a go, so he would of had a chance at a ring.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Please remind me, who is "us"? Are you an Eagles fan?

That seems like a crazy good trade for Buffalo... and kinda shitty for Philly.
Bills fan. We traded away a very promising young player for a running back (the most replaceable position) that costs 9 million dollars more.

Tress

Tress

Bills fan. We traded away a very promising young player for a running back (the most replaceable position) that costs 9 million dollars more.
I would argue that McCoy is so good that he rises above that "replaceable" status. He's REALLY good.

Also, the Bills gave away a player with potential and an ugly injury history that could keep him from reaching that potential. I think the Bills came out on top.

But time will tell.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hope the Titans do more in free agency this year than shovel money at really shitty old running backs and O-line players

evilmike

evilmike

Meanwhile, in Seattle...

drifter

drifter

Tough off-season for Niners fans, geez.

Tress

Tress

Tough off-season for Niners fans, geez.
The team is being gutted by petty, short-sighted morons with no real goal in mind. Throw in a few retirements of really good players, and the 49ers are back to the old shitty ways of the mid-2000's all of a sudden.

Dave

Dave

The team is being gutted by petty, short-sighted morons with no real goal in mind. Throw in a few retirements of really good players, and the 49ers are back to the old shitty ways of the mid-2000's all of a sudden.
And I couldn't be more pleased.

Tress

Tress

And I couldn't be more pleased.
Why?

Gared

Gared

Isn't @Dave a Cowboys fan? I'm betting that's it. Speaking as a Seahawks fan, on the other hand, I'd love for the 49er's to remain as competitive as possible. What fun is beating the crap out of your divisional rival if they can't win against a high-school team?

General Specific

General Specific

So, seems that former Panther and convicted domestic abuser Greg Hardy has signed with the Cowboys. This despite still being on the commissioner's exempt list. To be clear, the case against him was dropped after he paid off his victim. He still has not been cleared to play, however. All I can say is good luck with him, Cowboys.

Shakey

Shakey

Maybe Adrian Peterson can join him, sounds like they get along well. He keeps whining about how he wants traded to the Cowboys. I say let him go, I don't care how good he is.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Breaking news: Aaron Hernandez convicted of 1st degree murder. Mandatory life without possibility of parole.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Good.

It is such a shame that someone that has been given all that has been given to him, becomes a bigger hooligan.

Dave

Dave

Never underestimate the power of disrespect.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Never underestimate the power of disrespect.
I dunno why but I want to see that with the "the more you know" star but I'm on my phone and that's too much work so just pretend I put the star here and you can all laugh at how witty and funny I am. You're welcome.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well the deflate-gate report is in, an it's an unqualified maybe.

Zappit

Zappit

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I regret starting to read the Patriots' Annotated Edition of the Wells Report. At least I didn't read much of it.