[NFL] 2013 NFL Season

Not only did my Panthers beat the 49ers earlier in the season, they did it AT San Fran. They are coming to Carolina this time. Just hoping Steve Smith is healed up by then.

Final four is set: Niners vs. Seahawks and Patriots vs. Broncos.

I'm thinking a Seahawks/Broncos Super Bowl.

I would give anything to see the 49ers go up to Seattle and beat them in their own house.

I know, I know, but I can dream, can't I?

Well damn. Panthers lost. I can say that the 49ers did beat us. It would have been much less frustrating for me if the officiating was better, but we still could not make plays when we needed to. I guess the consolation is now I don't have to watch the Panthers go up to Seattle and get their asses handed to them. Have fun, SF!

I am now officially rooting for Payton Manning to win his second super bowl.

Fuck you, Kaepernick. You had better spend every moment of the off-season working on your reads and decision making, because right now you're throwing like an idiot.

And fuck you Sherman, you fucking punk. I hope Manning & Co. humiliate your sorry ass in two weeks.

Zappit

Staff member
Can't say I'm surprised that the injuries finally caught up with the Pats; they looked depleted today. Hell, they got further than they should have. Next year. Next year.

Now go run Peyton's ass over, Seattle.

Dave

Staff member
I was totally for Seattle until Sherman. Now I hope he gets torched.

Truthfully, I don't see Seattle winning on a neutral field against this Denver team.

Richard Sherman owns and I have the distinct impression a lot of his critics wouldn't care if he were white or if he played for their team.

Go Seahawks
The latter is true. The backlash towards Johnny Football shows that disliking players for obnoxiousness isn't just by race.

That being said, I don't really care about it. From what it sounds like, Crabtree is a massive asshole and tried to fight Sherman at a charity event. Also, I can't blame him for being pumped right after the biggest moment of his career.

Dave

Staff member
So let me get this straight, a dude blows up at a sideline reporter (although she wasn't the target, which wasn't apparent initially) and acts like a massive douchenozzle, has a history of doing just this...and we are disgusted because we're racist?

Huh.

Richard Sherman owns and I have the distinct impression a lot of his critics wouldn't care if he were white or if he played for their team.
I can't speak for everyone, but color plays no factor for me when someone acts like an ass. I hated Shockey when he was one of the Giants and couldn't wait until we got rid of him. Acting like a jerk isn't excusable, no matter who it is. Same reason I intensely dislike Tom Brady and Tiki Barber(sad, 'cause I used to really like Barber) for being child-abandoning bastards.

Last edited:
I didn't say YOU were racist, guys, calm down. No one here called him a thug at least.
I have no doubt that some of the people coming down on Sherman because he's black, but I think saying "a lot" of his critics are doing so is an over-statement. Like Timmus said, he deviated from what is considered an acceptable response. It's considered poor sportmanship for anyone, regardless of race or gender, to say those things in a nationally televised interview. You save that for the locker room or private or whatever. Yes, he was excited and there is most likely 9and probably deserved) bad blood between him and Crabtree, but this isn't the forum where you air it.

Besides, it's not like national opinion hasn't been know to turn on anyone who says something stupid in public. Generally, we want our "winners" to be gracious.

"... he hugged me so hard I hit my chin on his pads. It was a raw, passionate, candid moment. That’s how pumped he was.”

"You expect these guys to play like maniacs and animals for 60 minutes,” she said. “And then 90 seconds after he makes a career-defining, game-changing play... that’s why we grab them right after games because we hope they lose their minds like that, we hope they show pure joy. We hope he does the same thing at the Super Bowl."

"That was awesome. That was so awesome. And I loved it.”

-Erin Andrews

I think whether you disapprove of Sherman depends a lot more on whether you're a seahawks fan or not than if you're racist.

Dave

Staff member
Apparently, Sherman's numbers really back him up for INTs, which is a surprise to me. Guess I haven't watched enough Seahawks to really take notice.

He was targeted a grand total of 58 times this season (as of January 17 - add two more targets from the 49er's game) and had 8 INT's.

He also gave up 30 receptions, which is over 50% completion rate when targeting him. In addition, addition, give him 7 penalties, which effectively makes this 37 receptions, for a rate of 37/58 (63%).

Boykin allowed 52 receptions and had 3 penalties, for a total of 55/89 (61.7%)

So it's pretty close, but I'd still give Boykin the edge. Sherman is very all or nothing.

And he has an ego to match, which is what I can't stand. I mean, Ochocinco had an ego, but instead of being in your face, everyone liked him and his antics. He was having fun. Sherman just comes across like a douchebag.

Dave

Staff member
I'm wrong about Sherman.

"Hell of a game."

Yeah, that was some thuggery and taunting there, man.

Dave

Staff member
He's literally a Stanford graduate, and not in the "sports medicine" field most athletes are in. He's probably smarter than almost everyone on this board.
He has a degree in communications. THIS is the go-to degree for people who are in college for sports. So he may be smart, but you can't use his degree as a measure of his intelligence.