2011 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Go Hawkeyes!! Don't suck as bad as you are supposed to this year!

(They had 25 guys graduate last season.)

The eyes of Texas are upon youuuuu
all the live long day!!!!

This looks to be the last season of Big 12 football. Texas A&M finally has put together a competitive team for the first time in Decades. Now they want to go get pwnd in the SEC and be a whipping boy like Arkansas. It would be nice to see Texas refuse A&M's rivalry after the switch.

The eyes of Texas are upon youuuuu
all the live long day!!!!

This looks to be the last season of Big 12 football. Texas A&M finally has put together a competitive team for the first time in Decades. Now they want to go get pwnd in the SEC and be a whipping boy like Arkansas. It would be nice to see Texas refuse A&M's rivalry after the switch.
I hope OU AND texas stomp all over A&M. Actually, I just want OU to stomp on everyone this season.

The way I see it, the next move will be made by the Big East or the ACC. It's hard to see both conferences remaining as BCS automatic qualifiers 3 to 4 years from now.

The preferred move in these parts would be WVU and Pitt to the ACC. And maybe Syracuse. Other voices suggest Maryland and BC to the Big East. I can't say the conference would be all that open to BC returning after the way they left.

Oh FFS.

Lightning delays in Morgantown started at 6pm. They didn't get going again until after 9pm. Then more delays just after the 4th quarter started. They still won't call the game.

I couldn't find it - what's the record for longest regulation game in college (or pro!) history?

Oh, and:

Added at: 18:01
And, to be complete - my THREE TIME (and DEFENDING) NATIONAL CHAMPION Alma Mater:

Another round of musical chairs. Texas A&M to the SEC was supposedly a done deal, until Baylor sued.

If the deal gets done, the SEC will need a 14th team. WVU and Mizzou are the top candidates so far. Mountaineer fans are salivating at this prospect. WVU is really the biggest fish in the Big East pond. On a national level, who else has comparable name recognition?

Today's rumor, BYU to join the Big XII, contingent on Oklahoma staying in the conference.

Local discussion thinks the ACC and Big East will have to merge in order to survive. That would make an absolutely super-uber-mega conference on the basketball side.

Well, Texas A&M is almost assuredly going to the SEC West, joining the side with their former rivals Arkansas. So, to balance things, we'd need another SEC East team. WVU might be a good fit, but a more interesting one would be Clemson. Big rivals with my Carolina Gamecocks. Maybe we could get WVU, Virginia, & Virginia Tech as well. That'd make things lots of fun. Throw in the likes of Florida State, Miami (FL) assuming they survive, and any others in the area. We could make an SEC North & SEC South division as well. Then, have a little mini-playoff for the SEC crown and the winner would automatically move on to the BCS championship against a team chosen by computers. I see no down side to that.

Four "Superconferences" of 16 teams each? That'd mean a playoff - but it'd also mean the death of the other conferences in D1-BCS.

South Carolina 45 - Georgia 41

Allow me to say, to any Georgia fans on the board.... We really escaped with one there. Could NOT stop you guys unless we made an amazing play to force a fumble and score a TD. It was a sloppy game on both sides.

Oliver Luck better get off his ass and fast. The Pitt and Syracuse to ACC story has gained much more traction in the media in the last 24 hours than WVU to SEC.

Varsity, Varsity
U-rah-rah Wis-CON-sin
Praise to thee, we sing (we sing)
Praise to thee our Alma Mater
U-rah-rah Wis-con-sin

U-RAH-RAH WIS-CON-SIN
U-RAH-RAH WIS-CON-SIN
U-RAH-RAH WIS-CON-SIN
YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

---

Oh, and:

Warhawks, we're the Warhawks,
Shouting out our bat-tle cry
So beat the drums and let the trumpets blow
On to victory go, Go!
Proud to bear that name
So take the ball and let's go, Whitewater
Win this game!

Shouting out our bat-tle cry
So beat the drums and let the trumpets blow
On to victory go, Go!
Proud to bear that name
So take the ball and let's go, Whitewater
Win this game!

Pitt found out the hard way, and WVU nearly did. Don't wear out your own defense with your "high octane" offense.

All indications are next weekend's WVU v LSU game in Morgantown will be the marquee game for ESPN and ABC. The GameDay crew is coming to town.

Shannow

Staff member
Syracuse and Pitt heading to the ACC...woooo!!!! I cant wait for SU/Duke and SU/North Carolina basketball up here at the dome! UConn now trying to follow. The Big East will be pretty much dead in a couple years, should they go and take another Big East team with them, effectively turning the ACC to one of the premiere basketball conferences.

OU still number 1. Their defense looked scarey good. Best I've seen in years. FSU's defense did a great job, too. I can't wait to see OU collide with Texas (who is over rated right now) and OSU (not the real OSU-Ohio State, the other OSU Oklahoma State Pokes).
Regarding the conference realignment I'm okay with OU/OSU/TT and Texas going to the Pac 12. Wouldn't want any part of the most dominate conference SEC. Texas A&M, enjoy your two conference win seasons when you get there. I hope whatever is ultimately decided with the conference reshuffling ends this season. It's distracting to the season and I don't want to see team shuffling every year. Hope they get their four mega conferences and leave it at that.

So, let me see if I got this right:

Four teams in the (not-so) Big Twelve are heading towards the Pac-Twelve-Plus; the Big East is planning on absorbing the rest of the Big Twelve teams (at least, the ones that aren't headed for the SEC); Mountain West (aka "Boise State and the Seven Dwarves") and Conference USA (aka "The Ohio Valley Conference") are considering merging... who does that leave?

Illinois is 4-0 for the first time since 1951.

Yeah, really.

No, it wasn't pretty today.

No, it still doesn't matter.

Nope, it won't matter when U of I goes oh-fer in the Big 10 schedule.

Of course, I shouldn't say anything, because I remember that happening to UW.

Status
Not open for further replies.