Xbox one

"As the guy who is the chief operating officer of Electronic Arts I can tell you that EA did not aggressively lobby for the platform holders to put some gating function in there to allow or disallow used games. I am on record as being a proponent of used games."

coughBULLSHITcough
Hey, no one stops the sell of used EA games except EA! They don't need Microsoft's help.

Why do you think they make shitty games? There's no used games to buy if no one ever buys them in the first place.

I honestly face-palmed when that fucker answered that. I can't believe he even said that.

ANOTHER ROUND OF PR CONTROL FOLKS.

CENSOR THE INTERNET

Hey, no one stops the sell of used EA games except EA! They don't need Microsoft's help.

Why do you think they make shitty games? There's no used games to buy if no one ever buys them in the first place.
I could actually see EA wanting people to turn in their old games. They put new sports titles year after and a large number of the people who play those don't keep old editions. They wouldn't want to upset the only people they can count on to keep their big franchises running.

Then again, they certainly don't want people turning in anything BUT those games.

Well, after watching everything and hearing all the promises and failures, seeing the games being offered, I think that my next console purchase will likely be a PS4.

About a year after launch when the major hardware bugs are worked out. Until then, I have no problem sticking with my 360 and playing PS3 games at my friend's house.

stienman

Honest question that I am curious about, now that this massive government spying thing is out in the air, are you still as comfortable with the Kinect as you were earlier in this thread? Your answers are usually detailed and interesting to read.

Yes, I'm still fine with the kinect. Microsoft is not collecting video or images on their servers, so the government can't get them via warrant without naming you in the warrant.

It's no more worrisome than using a baby video monitor or nanny cam or cell phone.

And in the EU, most governments are still twiddling their thumbs and pretending there's no problem. For once, I actually like Verhofstadt's (leader of the Liberal fraction in the EP) reaction - since the NSA was monitoring all calls made through, in, to, or from the USA, this includes massive amounts of information about calls made by, to and from the EU, as well - which is a huge breach of our privacy. It's very literally espionage and could have very far reaching consequences - either EU completely submits as the lapdog of the USA and accepts that your agencies can do whatever the hel lthey want over here, or...well, we'll have to see.
That Europol and MI6 weren't actively collaborating, but could request the info through the NSA, is...odd, and problematic. We'll see.

Actually Viviane Reding, the European Union's commissioner of justice, sent a letter to Eric Holder demanding to know what the NSA has done with Europeans' personal information.The response might affect US-European trade relations.

They're concerned with requests made for things like email, not Kinect.

One thing to remember about the current Kinect that I'm pretty sure they wouldn't change, especially now: the Kinect is very explicit about when it's going to even save images to the Xbox, much less upload them somewhere. Right now, every Kinect game that takes video or pictures shows them after the game, and then explicitly asks if you want them saved and/or uploaded anywhere. While this isn't going to placate the conspiracy theorists who believe that the gubmint is going to promptly override the entire system to watch you eat dinner in front of your TV, for the rest of us it's reassuring that nothing is going out without our explicit permission.

Reggie Fils-Aime of Nintendo suggested that if Microsoft is so worried about people reselling their games, that maybe they should just focus on making better games.

See, I don't understand why you are concerned?

The xbox does NOT upload images to ANY server without explicit user permission.

So there's nothing on microsoft's servers that the kinect collected that the government can take.

What, exactly, are you worried about? Spell it out, because I'm simply not getting it.

It's absolutely no worse than carrying a cell phone around with you.

I don't want my naked antics interpreted by XboxOne as my character banging a hooker in the next GTA game.

GasBandit

Staff member

The xbox does NOT upload images to ANY server without explicit user permission.

So there's nothing on microsoft's servers that the kinect collected that the government can take.

What, exactly, are you worried about? Spell it out, because I'm simply not getting it.

It's absolutely no worse than carrying a cell phone around with you.
To play devil's advocate, they can already turn on your cell phone's mic and listen (supposedly they have to get a warrant first), and kinect's uploading habits aren't hardware - and there are firmware/software/os patches ALL the time on microsoft console systems that can change that behavior.

To play devil's advocate, they can already turn on your cell phone's mic and listen (supposedly they have to get a warrant first), and kinect's uploading habits aren't hardware - and there are firmware/software/os patches ALL the time on microsoft console systems that can change that behavior.
Exactly.

If they want to see inside your house they will have to get a warrant with your name on it, whether its through the kinect, cell phone, or a cable guy coming to "upgrade" your cable box.

If they have reason to spy on you, it doesn't matter if you have a kinect or not, they'll be able to do it.

They will not be able to get video or images of you from Microsoft that you didn't explicitly upload to Microsoft. They will not be able to get a live stream of any sort, until you start live streaming to Microsoft.

That's where the 1979 Supreme Court decision ends. They can only get information from the company which is owned by the company and does not breach a reasonable expectation of privacy.

They ruled that phone numbers dialed, time of calling, and duration are not private, and are owned by the telephone company.

The content of the phone call, however, is protected, and not owned by the telephone company.

So even if you were streaming to or through Microsoft, the content should still be protected, the actual images, audio, and video.

But they might be able to convince the court that your friend list, which is publicly available, isn't private, and can be given to the Feds with a simple warrant to Microsoft.

I don't see the kinect changing that dynamic, and even if it did, again, I assert its no more invasive than a cell phone, and I see a lot of people carrying those around with less consternation than people a displaying here about the Xbox.

To further this argument, your cell phone needs to be on all the time, kinect just unplug that shit from the wall when not in use. Can't spy on you when its got no power to work.

I'm not, I'm simply stating that the Verizon scandal is just the beginning. Personally I don't care, I've said before that all this Orwellian outcry is over exaggeration and until actual personal privacy is invaded, I don't really care. When the Kinects start uploading stuff from the Kinect unto public servers though, I'll laugh at all the people who bought one in the first place.

GasBandit

Staff member
And, as I said before, it seems to me this kinect scare is one that can be easily overcome with a post-it note.

figmentPez

Staff member
I think more bothersome is the idea of what might be done with such cameras once they become commonplace. Should it really be possible for your media player to count the number of people in the room and then decide it will stop playing because you've got a dozen people and that constitutes a unlicensed public performance? I'm more bothered by the idea of advertisers monitoring my heartrate during commercials to figure out if I'm getting excited by their latest trailer. Sure, Microsoft isn't doing that now, but an iteration or two down the line? After we get used to the "your Xbox needs permission to monitor the room so it can best respond to your input, agree?" At first it seems worded just so that you can say "Xbox turn on and start Netflix" but how carefully will they word this so that they can keep track of other responses for their sponsors? I'm less worried about what they send to the government than what they keep for their own corporate uses.

Exactly.

If they want to see inside your house they will have to get a warrant with your name on it, whether its through the kinect, cell phone, or a cable guy coming to "upgrade" your cable box.

They will not be able to get video or images of you from Microsoft that you didn't explicitly upload to Microsoft. They will not be able to get a live stream of any sort, until you start live streaming to Microsoft.
You sure about all that? What's to stop Microsoft from remotely turning on the camera? We've already had one major case of officials caught spying on kids without their knowledge via the laptop webcam.