Xbox one

Business as usual at these events.

That there is the box running the Xbox One demos at E3. Now, noticed by other, more savvy people, the video card installed there is either a GeForce Titan, 770 GTX or a 780 GTX. All very expensive high end Nvidia cards. The real APU being used in the Xbox Ones is about the equivalent of an AMD 7790 (about 150 dollars).

Also funny, noted by people at E3 that watched the demos crash is that they're using PCs running Windows 7. Even Microsoft doesn't want to use 8.

What I would do is buy the disc then when I get done playing it go to the store day the disc diesnt work get a brand new copy of the game and sell that brand new one on ebay or whatever

What I would do is buy the disc then when I get done playing it go to the store day the disc diesnt work get a brand new copy of the game and sell that brand new one on ebay or whatever
I think you already know that won't work. There's usually a time limit on returning that kind of electronic, and if you're going to play it in a day, may as well just rent it and save yourself the trouble.

Actually, as someone who still owns a PS1 and plays most of his games still on a PS2 my roommate owns, getting an XBox 360 when the next generation of consoles comes out was already sort of my plan.
Does that make it a good business practice in any way which is the point of posting this video as a reactionary?

I think you already know that won't work. There's usually a time limit on returning that kind of electronic, and if you're going to play it in a day, may as well just rent it and save yourself the trouble.
You might get a new disc, if you return it within a reasonable amount of time, say a week or less, saying you haven't gotten around to opening it yet. However, I imagined a handy system would make a disc registration code to be unique to each purchase (perhaps printed on your original receipt), like iTunes or pay-as-you-go phone prepaid cards and you wouldn't get a new one of those. The disc may be defective, but the code would not be, so you would be stuck with the original code. This might also be a way to fight shoplifting, as the game disc has no value until "activated" at the register. Of course then crackers will find a way to generate registration codes.

Hm. That might work. This exposes a loophole in the system. If you can buy a game, lock it to your account, then you no longer need the disc once you've loaded it onto your system. Since it belongs to you, in theory they should allow you to download it again without the disc, or if the disc is scratched.

Then you can return the disc after it's on your account and get a refund, but still have the game.

I think MS might have built a loophole into their system, if some retailers continue to accept returns for any reason.

Hm. That might work. This exposes a loophole in the system. If you can buy a game, lock it to your account, then you no longer need the disc once you've loaded it onto your system. Since it belongs to you, in theory they should allow you to download it again without the disc, or if the disc is scratched.

Then you can return the disc after it's on your account and get a refund, but still have the game.

I think MS might have built a loophole into their system, if some retailers continue to accept returns for any reason.
I'm sure they've thought of this. Of course, I assume they would have weighed all the options.

That baffles me. I understand the reasoning, but I still don't think it's in microsoft's best interest to force the publisher model like this.

I read somewhere that they're providing retailers with some sort of scanner that links with the customer's account. So when they scan the game they're trading it, it also wipes the digital copy off their account or something. Seems overly complicated, but necessary.

That baffles me. I understand the reasoning, but I still don't think it's in microsoft's best interest to force the publisher model like this.

It's really bizarre. I can understand not wanting to allow anything on their marketplace that doesn't have a strong support infrastructure behind it, but surely that's something that can be worked out on a case-by-case basis instead of forcing a publisher.

Microsoft burned a lot of indie bridges already (just as Jonathan Blow, Phil Fish or Team Meat) and continue to not help their case with them with crazy policies like that.

Someone else from Microsoft claimed that wasn't true. Not the first time they've sent mixed messages about the console.

There are situations where your steam account can be disabled, thus losing access to all your games.

Microsoft is trying to compete with valves upcoming console.

Lots of people won't buy it for this reals and that's fine, vote with your wallet.

But lots of people know very, very few accounts in either system become fully disabled, and so it simply doesn't bother them.

There are situations where your steam account can be disabled, thus losing access to all your games.

Lots of people won't buy it for this reals and that's fine, vote with your wallet.

But lots of people know very, very few accounts in either system become fully disabled, and so it simply doesn't bother them.
Yeah, but if you get banned from Team Fortress 2, you don't lose access to all of your games.

There are many cases of people being unjustly banned from XBL from reasons ranging from trolling to a guy saying he's a gay gamer in his profile (that was fun to read the justification for).

Yeah. I also don't use Steam anymore for this reason. I lost all of my GTA games for some unknown reasons. Shit shouldn't happen on a console though!

And the idea that it is rare doesn't mean it should be an option. It's absolutely insane to think you could spend $600 on a console, $60 on each game, and have it all shot to piss. Fuck, it makes 40k sound cheap and they can't take my models away!

Allegedly there are "Microsoft representatives" going into Best Buys where the Wii U E3 games (all five of them) are set up for people to play and harassing those players. Odds are these are just Xbox fans being IRL trolls, I don't think even Microsoft is that stupid. That said, they are that petty. What's bothering me a lot about all this Xbox One crap isn't just the awful decisions Microsoft is making, but their attitude. They seem to have this perspective that they're entitled to our purchase, like we're doing something wrong by choosing an alternative. The whole "no internet? buy a 360" thing, for example. They know the connectivity thing for Xbox One is going to cause people issues, but in their minds, it's like you're supposed to work around their right to have their console in your home.

Vote with your wallet is the right attitude--it's just disgusting to me how Microsoft is acting about it as if they deserve to be king of consoles. They've been in the market a decade or so. So what? Nintendo's been around 30 years or something and they're not entitled to shit; why should Microsoft expect better treatment?

What really bothers me is what a turnaround it is from how they entered the market. It's the hubris Nintendo had before the Playstation dropped and forced them to choose a role for their console.

Steam had an issue a while back with some music copyrights in GTA, so they had to revoke the existing licenses. You should've gotten a new license for the games automatically, though. I'd contact Steam customer support, they'd have a record of you buying the series.