Xbox one

The Xbox division has consistently failed to make back it's money since it's inception. I'd have sold it off too.
The time to sell it off was 7 years ago before they began spending money on developing the One. They'd be foolish to sell it now when they'll definitely be profiting off the first-year sales of the console. If they really want to get rid of it, they need to wait until Y2 when the early adopters have basically finished adopting, and everyone else is waiting for a deal.

Thanks guys. Now I want to go play the N64. Do you know how few games hold up?! DO YOU?! They look like mud. :(

The time to sell it off was 7 years ago before they began spending money on developing the One. They'd be foolish to sell it now when they'll definitely be profiting off the first-year sales of the console. If they really want to get rid of it, they need to wait until Y2 when the early adopters have basically finished adopting, and everyone else is waiting for a deal.
Microsoft loses $2 billion a year on the Xbox division. Consistently, since it's original existence. It's not making money because they have completely failed to penetrate Asia and Japan.

Microsoft loses $2 billion a year on the Xbox division. Consistently, since it's original existence. It's not making money because they have completely failed to penetrate Asia and Japan.
The Xbox division has been profitable (on an annual basis, of course) since at least 2011, and there is every indication that this will persist in 2014. The $2B loss number comes from a single analyst who is convinced that all the money MS makes from Android patents is pouring into the Xbox division to shore up their losses. Not only does no one else back that up, but it begs the question that if MS is doing that, why wouldn't they use some of that money to prop up the paper profits of their online service division, which is actually losing billions?

Thanks guys. Now I want to go play the N64. Do you know how few games hold up?! DO YOU?! They look like mud. :(
I tried to play Pokemon Snap a few months ago, and it's not the graphics you have to worry about, it's the control stick. Poor thing was ground into a powder on my controller, barely responded to anything.

Pokemon Snap is pixelated and has aliasing problems, but it looks okay. I tried playing Majora's Mask ... all the movement swims together.

If you run the games on a PC, they look just fine.

This has now reminded me that there will never be a game quite like Conker's Bad Fur Day :(

Seriously, best game ever. Just look at this amazing boss fight against an opera singer that's also a pile of poo.

*Sigh*

Damn you Microsoft!! :censored:

On the same day I get my freshly-repaired Day One launch console back from Guadalajara (seriously) - and don't think I don't appreciate the 1 month XBox Live code card lovingly taped to the outside of the protective padding...

I guess I should check to see if they included a tube of lube as well.

MS / XBox today announced they will begin selling a version of the XBone WITHOUT the Kinect sensor hardware for... $399

You know... the same Kinect sensor that a year ago they were telling us was essential to the experience & non-negotiable. The same one that when asked directly several times if they were planning to or would ever release a version of the XB1 without, they flat out said no, never. The same one they said was the reason for the extra $100 price tag.

:facepalm: Fuck you MS.

At least they also announced that most all of the apps that have required XBL gold subscriptions to access (Netflix, Hulu, various other streaming apps) no longer require gold. So now I guess the only reason for gold is online play with friends? Which is still something PSN offers for free right?

At least my console is back in time for Watch Dogs next week.

As I said before - I've never bought a console at launch before. I will never do it again.

*Sigh*

Damn you Microsoft!! :censored:

On the same day I get my freshly-repaired Day One launch console back from Guadalajara (seriously) - and don't think I don't appreciate the 1 month XBox Live code card lovingly taped to the outside of the protective padding...

I guess I should check to see if they included a tube of lube as well.

MS / XBox today announced they will begin selling a version of the XBone WITHOUT the Kinect sensor hardware for... $399

You know... the same Kinect sensor that a year ago they were telling us was essential to the experience & non-negotiable. The same one that when asked directly several times if they were planning to or would ever release a version of the XB1 without, they flat out said no, never. The same one they said was the reason for the extra $100 price tag.

:facepalm: Fuck you MS.

At least they also announced that most all of the apps that have required XBL gold subscriptions to access (Netflix, Hulu, various other streaming apps) no longer require gold. So now I guess the only reason for gold is online play with friends? Which is still something PSN offers for free right?

At least my console is back in time for Watch Dogs next week.

As I said before - I've never bought a console at launch before. I will never do it again.
I think they caved on the Kinect thing because of the PS4, rather than a previously existing plan. Still fucked up though.

Opposite for me, I might actually consider one now.

Probably not. I don't need an underpowered PC with exclusive Halo.
I have a PC which is why I don't care so much about the Xbox One without the Kinect. But a media box that will play everything I watch and be controlled entirely by voice? Much more appealing.

I'm still thinking of going PC instead of getting one of the new consoles. I would've gotten a PS4 if I could've used my digital purchases from the PS3 on it.

Get a PC and a nice controller for it to go with your awesome keyboard+mouse and you will have more games available for your system than any console available.

fade

Staff member
I put my money where my mouth was last time I mentioned I preferred console gaming. I assembled a damn fine gaming PC.

I still prefer the console. My son plays the PC but I still prefer my ps3.