Wikilieaks, how far is too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm just surprised that Julian Assange hasn't fallen down a flight of stairs onto some bullets, really.

C

Chibibar

Ok, that is over the line. That there puts people at risk.
I agree. Now I just read this (short article) from Yahoo news so I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate, but such a leak on location is bad. Now terrorist can attack these location and cause countless harms to many nations not just the U.S. Civilian lives are in danger now from possible attacks to these facilities.

There is a difference between transparency/open government, and providing a list of targets to an enemy.

There really is no excuse for releasing this particular type of information.

The only reason to release it is to cause, create, or aid in the downfall of the US - in other words it is an open declaration of war.

And how do we react to such threats?

>:D

C

Chibibar

There is a difference between transparency/open government, and providing a list of targets to an enemy.

There really is no excuse for releasing this particular type of information.

The only reason to release it is to cause, create, or aid in the downfall of the US - in other words it is an open declaration of war.

And how do we react to such threats?

>:D
Shego + sniper rifle + government contract?

I'm beginning to suspect that these sites may have been in the rumored "Blackmail Package" that Assange said he had spread around, in case someone tried to have him killed/captured. Now the only question is if Assange told them to release it or if someone else in the organization did.

P

Papillon

Does anyone know how much of this information has been verified? If I was in charge of the CIA/FBI, the first thing I would do would be deliberately "leak" a combination of embarrassing, but not critical information, and real documents with dates/places changed.

I think the priority would be finding the people leaking the information and stop it at the source, rather than shutting down WikiLeaks. Obviously Julian Assange is getting this information from someone, and those people should not be trusted with the positions they're in now. I would guess as far as espionage goes, it's much better for the info to end up on the internet, than secretly delivered to an enemy agent. At least this way they have a good idea of what the enemy knows.

Of course, all I know about espionage I learned from Jack Ryan, so I could be completely off base.

C

Chibibar

I'm just surprised that Julian Assange hasn't fallen down a flight of stairs onto some bullets, really.
he's more valuable alive.[/QUOTE]

Of Course. There might be a "life lock" type contingencies that if Assange dies, a whole lot of embarrassing stuff are spewed to the internet.

Failing to see how knowing that "The Panama Canal" is a site critical to US security is somehow more damaging than the rest of the cables already released. Honestly reading the list, it's kinda "duh". Hell, a lot of the North American ones are things already listed as possible terrorist targets from way back in 2001.

Now, if it listed the exact coordinates of secret military bunkers, I could see people having an issue with it. But no, there's none of that there. For example, a Danish insulin plant, a company making anti-snake venom in Australia and a Cobalt mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo are also included.

A bunch more yawn-inducing government over-reaction.

Zappit

Staff member
he's more valuable alive.[/QUOTE]

Of Course. There might be a "life lock" type contingencies that if Assange dies, a whole lot of embarrassing stuff are spewed to the internet.[/QUOTE]

He has been making some supervillain style threats about releasing data that would be the info-equivalent of a nuke if he's arrested or is killed. If this were a bad movie, James Bond (not one of the good ones, obviously) would have been all over that. That's what this is becoming - a dangerous farce.

He has been making some supervillain style threats about releasing data that would be the info-equivalent of a nuke if he's arrested or is killed. If this were a bad movie, James Bond (not one of the good ones, obviously) would have been all over that. That's what this is becoming - a dangerous farce.
"Tell us the no go code for the documents, Assange!" Demanded an inexplicably clown-suited Roger Moore.

Failing to see how knowing that "The Panama Canal" is a site critical to US security is somehow more damaging than the rest of the cables already released. Honestly reading the list, it's kinda "duh".
My thoughts exactly.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to him now that he surrendered himself.

Anonymous isn't behind the DDOS attacks against Wikileaks (at least as far as that article is concerned).

A group called Anonymous has hit sites that have refused to do business with the controversial whistle-blowing site with a series of distributed denial-of-service attacks.

It mirrors similar attacks aimed at the Wikileaks site.
This says that Anonymous is making DDOS attacks against certain websites... attacks that are similar the the DDOS attacks that have been hitting Wikileaks servers (and the perpetrators are currently unknown).

C

Chibibar

Anonymous isn't behind the DDOS attacks against Wikileaks (at least as far as that article is concerned).

A group called Anonymous has hit sites that have refused to do business with the controversial whistle-blowing site with a series of distributed denial-of-service attacks.

It mirrors similar attacks aimed at the Wikileaks site.
This says that Anonymous is making DDOS attacks against certain websites... attacks that are similar the the DDOS attacks that have been hitting Wikileaks servers (and the perpetrators are currently unknown).
ok.. I have to re-read it like 4 times. I think I understand now.
thanks for clearing it up ;)

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Anon is in complete support of Wikileaks. The chaos, anarchy, and general disaster that the website generates is exactly what is craved by the group. They will be attacking and putting out of comission, anyone who threatens Wikileaks growth and livelyhood.

C

Chibibar

"In the case of Ardin it is clear that she has thrown a party in Assange's honour at her flat after the 'crime' and tweeted to her followers that she is with the 'the world’s coolest smartest people, it’s amazing!'" he wrote.
"The exact content of Wilén’s mobile phone texts is not yet known but their bragging and exculpatory character has been confirmed by Swedish prosecutors. Niether Wilén’s nor Ardin’s texts complain of rape," Catlin said.

Not at all. It looks like it is a setup as more info are available.

also this
James D. Catlin, a lawyer who recently represented Assange, said the sex assault investigation into the WikiLeaks founder is based on claims he didn't use condoms during sex with two Swedish women.
Swedish prosecutors told AOL News last week that Assange was not wanted for rape as has been reported, but for something called "sex by surprise" or "unexpected sex."
so unprotected sex (consensual it seems at this point until we get more info) = rape?

One of the women accusing WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange of sex crimes appears to have worked with a group that has connections to the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Wow. Did I ever mention that I may have some stock in a company that invested in Apple in the 70s? Who knows! I may be a millionaire and not know it!

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon strikes again. If you look hard enough I'm sure you can tie me to an anti-american group in under 3 steps as well.

But it does make for a good story, and no doubt it will become part of Assange's conspiracy theories, if not used as a key part of his defense.

What the hell does "sex by surprise" mean?
Basically, one of the parties believed that a contraceptive was in use, but the other party did not oblige. I think it can also apply if a woman tells the man she's with that she's on the pill, but is not.

My only question is: How the hell do you prove that? I mean, I don't know how experienced these ladies are, but sex with a condom and sex without a condom feel distinctly different. You'd think it would come down to "Hey, you don't have a condom on, you really need one to go through that door".

Basically, one of the parties believed that a contraceptive was in use, but the other party did not oblige. I think it can also apply if a woman tells the man she's with that she's on the pill, but is not.[/QUOTE]

Interesting reading around the web on this development. One ting I read is that if the sex was consensual, and the only problem was the use of STD protection and/or contraceptives, then while a crime may have been committed, if there are no damages (ie, STD or pregnancy) resulting from the crime, then even if the conviction is made (which is unlikely when the case is only about she said/he said) the punishment will not be great.

Interestingly it's a crime that only exists in Sweden, and the english version of their penal code is unavailable right now (perhaps being hit by every reporter in the US at the moment). Since it's not a crime in the UK, then extradition may require additional hurdles.

In any case, even if he's convicted of two counts of this crime, I can't imagine that the punishment would be huge.

C

Chibibar

Basically, one of the parties believed that a contraceptive was in use, but the other party did not oblige. I think it can also apply if a woman tells the man she's with that she's on the pill, but is not.[/QUOTE]

Interesting reading around the web on this development. One ting I read is that if the sex was consensual, and the only problem was the use of STD protection and/or contraceptives, then while a crime may have been committed, if there are no damages (ie, STD or pregnancy) resulting from the crime, then even if the conviction is made (which is unlikely when the case is only about she said/he said) the punishment will not be great.

Interestingly it's a crime that only exists in Sweden, and the english version of their penal code is unavailable right now (perhaps being hit by every reporter in the US at the moment). Since it's not a crime in the UK, then extradition may require additional hurdles.

In any case, even if he's convicted of two counts of this crime, I can't imagine that the punishment would be huge.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but I think this is the thing to get him out of hiding and hopefully "dispatch" him or slap him with something from the U.S. side.
Or "accidentally" land him in U.S. soil ;)

O

Overflight

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Anon is in complete support of Wikileaks. The chaos, anarchy, and general disaster that the website generates is exactly what is craved by the group. They will be attacking and putting out of comission, anyone who threatens Wikileaks growth and livelyhood.
...this will all end in tears. I just know it.

Assange's responses to these questions are more interesting in what they don't say, and how they are worded than the actual content.

I particularly like his dismissal of a valid question with, "If you trim the vast editorial letter to the singular question actually asked, I would be happy to give it my attention."

He's on a power trip, and enjoying it thoroughly. He is his own, and wikileaks, worst enemy.

J

JONJONAUG

Man this thread is boring, not nearly enough posting of the actual cables. The Guardian has an awesome breakdown of everything going on.

Here's a fun one about a Texas private security company helping cops in Afghanistan to get high and pimp little boys.

Cable Viewer
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/12/wikileaks_texas_company_helped.php

David Letterman and Desperate Housewives have done more to discourage extremism in Saudi Arabia than hundreds of millions of dollars of US propaganda.

WikiLeaks cables: Jihad? Sorry, I don't want to miss Desperate Housewives | World news | guardian.co.uk

The Lockerbie Bomber being freed had more to do with Libyan threats than compassion.

WikiLeaks cables: Lockerbie bomber freed after Gaddafi's 'thuggish' threats | World news | The Guardian

Saudi Arabian sex parties.

WikiLeaks cables: Saudi princes throw parties boasting drink, drugs and sex | World news | The Guardian

The vice president of Bolivia is maintaining a mirror of all the leaks relating to Bolivia.

Wikileaks - Vicepresidencia del Estado Plurinacional de Bolivia

Mastercard Website DDoSed into oblivion by Anon. This also had the effect of taking down MasterCard's online payment verification because apparently they are run on the same server for some dumbass reason.

MasterCard site partially frozen by hackers in WikiLeaks 'revenge' | Media | guardian.co.uk

My favorite reaction to the whole situation by some guy on SomethingAwful:

In the past week the founder of Wikileaks has found himself facing sketchy Swedish rape charges on the eve of the release of a quarter million diplomatic cables that caused him to turn himself in to Scotland Yard. As this is happening financial institutions from Switzerland to the United States are fucking with his company's finances, which has met retaliation via the unexpected arrival of Anonymous, the anti-hero faceless hacker group that actually managed to bring down the Swiss bank's site and fucking Mastercard. As all this is happening, more and more cables are being released everyday, causing the global community to lose their minds and label him a traitor, a spy, a martyr, and a hero. Multiple legal and death threats have been sent his way, but the site's finger is on the trigger of a doomsday device that threatens unforeseen, drastic consequences for international politics. As this is happening and the US government is making every possible move it can to stifle Wikileaks, they announce a World Press Freedom Day in order to celebrate literally everything they are currently decrying.

One, did I miss anything, two, when the fuck did we start living in this movie, and three, how long can it possibly last before life gets boring again?

Dave

Staff member
These kinds of cables are what makes Wikileaks great. The other ones that are more dangerous is nature are the ones which we are decrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.