Who do you think will win the GOP nomination?

Who do you think will win the GOP nomination?

• Michele Bachmann

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Newt Gingrich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Huntsman

• Gary Johnson

• Ron Paul

• Rick perry

• Buddy Roemer

• Mitt Romney

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Rick Santorum

• Other (Specify in thread)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much as the Question and title say. Not 'who do you want to win', or 'who should enter the thread because I don't like the field'. I've got my own ideas on where the current field is trending, but I'd like to see where everyone else is seeing in their areas.

As the polling only allows 10 options and there are officially 15 candidates still running as of December 15th, I had to leave out 5 of the candidates still in the running (sort of). If you know who these guys are and want to include one of them, just click other and explain in the thread.

Oh it's not speculation. Look at the options, look at how badly split the entire GOP is across the board. Do you really think they'll all rally behind one nominee after all is said and done?

You are right though, way too soon to derail this. Carry on.

They will fight it, and they will cry, and they will scream, but eventually the GOP will have to give in and nominate Romney. He's the only one who has even a chance at beating Obama.

It's going to be Romney, most likely because he's the only guy who could possibly bring in the moderates and independents. He's still going to lose though.

look at how badly split the entire GOP is across the board. Do you really think they'll all rally behind one nominee after all is said and done?
In the last several elections the field and political dynamics changed dramatically 5-8 months prior to the election. It may be hard to imagine now, but things will be quite different next summer.

Not to say it will be *better* but it will certainly be different and I'm skeptical of anyone who says they can predict how a party or an election will fare this far ahead.

Dave

Staff member
Great. A Muslim against a Mormon. What's a God-fearing Republican (PRAISE HIS NAME!!!) to do?!?

I am really bad at guessing. A few months ago, I was pretty convinced Rick Perry would win the nomination and Presidency. I'll just stab in the dark and say "Romney" for now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Romney is most likely to win the nomination, in my opinion. That doesn't mean he's a lock - he just can't seem to break 25% in most polls. But often enough coming in second all the time is better than coming in first once and last the rest.

That said, "he's the only one that can sway the moderates/independents" is entirely incorrect. The middle follows firm confidence, not spineless flipfloppery. Remember, the middle voted for Reagan. Twice. Hell, so did many Democrats.

To say that Obama can't be beaten is also incorrect. He's not unassailable, nor is he already out to pasture as some others would have you believe.

Basically, much like last time, it'll probably all boil down to whatever happens in October. It usually does.

On a related note, I don't know why people always make such a fuss over the Iowa caucus. That shit accurately predicts the nominee barely 3 out of 7 times. It's a bad year for the Florida straw poll, however. Until now, it had a 100% accurate prediction rate of the nominee for more than 30 years... but this year, it went to Hermain Cain.

Necronic

Staff member
I voted Romney but I was really tempted to vote Gingrich. I think he still has a decent chance.

Romney is ultimately a bad choice for the Republican's though. Yes, you capture the middle (or some of it), but you trade the Nazzerine/Evangelical Christian vote to get it. I have heard more than one person say they wouldn't vote if he is the nominee, for that exact reason.

The best result of a Romney vs Obama election is that religious right and the racists wouldn't show up to vote. Now if only we could figure out a way to keep that trend going.

I think the race has been very interesting so far. Not sure how many meteoric rises and falls are left in this season, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the race has been very interesting so far. Not sure how many meteoric rises and falls are left in this season, though.
Like the guy said on "Wait wait don't tell me" the other day, "This week's winner gets to be the GOP primary's frontrunner for a day."

Like the guy said on "Wait wait don't tell me" the other day, "This week's winner gets to be the GOP primary's frontrunner for a day."
While I think that is absolutely true, I have to wonder, though, who is left? I mean, we've seen this a lot so far in the GOP road show. Will Buddy Roemer suddenly become a front runner? I have a hard time believing it.

GasBandit

Staff member
While I think that is absolutely true, I have to wonder, though, who is left? I mean, we've seen this a lot so far in the GOP road show. Will Buddy Roemer suddenly become a front runner? I have a hard time believing it.
If Ron freakin' Paul can be a frontrunner, anything is possible.

And by "this week's winner," he meant on WWDTM, not of any poll or caucus.

The Republicans are feeling now what the Democrats felt in 2004. I have a feeling Obama's going to win by default thanks to Republican divisiveness rather than anything positive he does in 2012.

The Republicans are feeling now what the Democrats felt in 2004. I have a feeling Obama's going to win by default thanks to Republican divisiveness rather than anything positive he does in 2012.
I don't know about the other liberal leaning folks in the land, but for me he's about 50/50. Which is a shame since I was expecting a little more.

I don't know about the other liberal leaning folks in the land, but for me he's about 50/50. Which is a shame since I was expecting a little more.
I think it'd be nice if someone could be a good candidate and a good president. Obama was a great celebrity for 2008, but I've been disappointed with him for the most part. To be fair, nobody was going to do a great job with the mess Bush left behind, but I don't feel Obama has been focusing on what's important, and Congress is acting like a... I don't have a literary or movie reference. I see them as well-dressed, carnivorous troglodytes, hooting and laughing and making asses of themselves at the expense of the rest of the nation, because there isn't a strong President to keep the circus in line.

Dave

Staff member
He did destroy them indeed. I've been around since 1965. Clinton is the best president we've had in that time. By far.

He did destroy them indeed. I've been around since 1965. Clinton is the best president we've had in that time. By far.
Clinton's first term was mediocre at best and he damn near lost his second term. People forget that he didn't really find his stride until the second term, when it seemed like everything went his way (sex scandal not withstanding). Will it be the same story for Obama? I have no idea, but it's certainly possible.

Generally speaking, most presidents seem to use their first term to set up the things they want to do in their second term, which they can then do without repercussion because they don't need to worry about re-election. This is why most of the interesting stuff happens in 2nd terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.