Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

So since we're kind of guessing on the kitten's age, the vet recommend getting her spayed in February because they usually want to do it in the 6-8 month window.

So naturally, she just went into heat and now everyone in the house is miserable.

Also the vet said they wait 6-8 weeks to spay after heat, but I'm pretty sure that's the guidance for dogs not indoor cats and now I'm going to have to argue with them. :(

Last edited:
How did I manage to twist my ankle while I was sleeping?
My wife recently tried to snap my neck while we were both asleep. And not a gentle twist, either, really full-on 90° angle yoink. I woke up quite confused, and then she woke up from my reaction.

Dave

Staff member
Sam has graduated from Air Force basic training. She made it to her tech school last night and had her first orientation today. Surprise! Tech school is NOT 35 days like she was told. It’s 4 months! Didn’t say it was a pleasant surprise.

Could be worse. There are some in her school who are married and have kids. Their Sgt said he’s been trying to get them to update the information for about FIVE YEARS! No telling how many people they’ve done this to.

Rose and I were talking to her about it last night. I remember when she told me just over a month I thought it was weird because one of the guys that works for me is a motorized armor electrician in the army guard (he fixes the control systems in our armored vehicles) the school was 6 months after normal army basic. Doing what she is doing just over a month did not seem like a long enough time to teach her all the basics of her job. Wishing her nothing but the best in any case, sorry she got bamboozled.

Dave

Staff member
Rose and I were talking to her about it last night. I remember when she told me just over a month I thought it was weird because one of the guys that works for me is a motorized armor electrician in the army guard (he fixes the control systems in our armored vehicles) the school was 6 months after normal army basic. Doing what she is doing just over a month did not seem like a long enough time to teach her all the basics of her job. Wishing her nothing but the best in any case, sorry she got bamboozled.
I told her: My school was a month and they only taught us how to count cans.

Sam has graduated from Air Force basic training. She made it to her tech school last night and had her first orientation today. Surprise! Tech school is NOT 35 days like she was told. It’s 4 months! Didn’t say it was a pleasant surprise.

Could be worse. There are some in her school who are married and have kids. Their Sgt said he’s been trying to get them to update the information for about FIVE YEARS! No telling how many people they’ve done this to.
35 days is 7 weeks of school, the count is only instruction days. Could be longer if there are federal holidays.

In Navy boot camp, we had 5 day weeks.
First week was a processing week, and didn't count.
After that, weeks/days were counted as such: "1-5 day" was week 1, day 5. Which, incidentally, was the day all medical records would have been processed and therefore the very first day they can exercise ("cycle") you. So they exercise you to death by way of celebration.

I always thought babies just don’t have a sleeping schedule which is why you have to wake up in the middle of the night. They just need to be attended to regularly. But they actually are more awake at night??? Insanity.

I always thought babies just don’t have a sleeping schedule which is why you have to wake up in the middle of the night. They just need to be attended to regularly. But they actually are more awake at night??? Insanity.
An old meme, but any time I posted it, every parent I know shouted "Accurate! Too accurate!"

644f453ebfb03c5ef052045e8dcb8a2f.jpg

An old meme, but any time I posted it, every parent I know shouted "Accurate! Too accurate!"

View attachment 47146
Heh, my mother has always said that neither I nor my sisters ever woke her up during the night & always slept through the night from the day she brought us home from the hospital.

Others have pointed out that she's always been a very heavy sleeper so it's probably less that we didn't wake up & more that she didn't. OTOH my dad wasn't so heavy a sleeper so he would have been woken up and...well, in those days he'd have woken her up to deal with it so *shrug*.

Heh, my mother has always said that neither I nor my sisters ever woke her up during the night & always slept through the night from the day she brought us home from the hospital.

Others have pointed out that she's always been a very heavy sleeper so it's probably less that we didn't wake up & more that she didn't. OTOH my dad wasn't so heavy a sleeper so he would have been woken up and...well, in those days he'd have woken her up to deal with it so *shrug*.
I don't know if this is always the case, but bigger babies tend to sleep longer. I think it's because they have more tummy room and can hold more milk in between feedings. I was almost 10 lbs. when I was born, and my family swears I was sleeping through the night by the second night I was home. And there were 4 adults around 1 kid (we lived with my paternal grandparents) so someone DEFINITELY would have heard me if I squeaked. Heck, our dog at the time used to fetch a person whenever I made a sound.

Meanwhile, my average-sized kid took about 2 months to start sleeping through the night. I'll get him back for that eventually. :devil:

Our kids had their days and nights reversed for a long time. This was before streaming, so we watched some truly disturbing overnight tv together.

When I was born, I was sleeping a full eight hours, but during the day rather than the night. Then, some months later, myself (had very limited options at the time, you understand), my mom and my dad, who had been accepted at London's Royal College of Music before my arrival, left Quebec for England. The time difference was enough to flip my biological clock and I was now sleeping through the night.

So maybe a trans-Atlantic trip is the solution to sleep schedule flip!

I don't know if this is always the case, but bigger babies tend to sleep longer. I think it's because they have more tummy room and can hold more milk in between feedings. I was almost 10 lbs. when I was born, and my family swears I was sleeping through the night by the second night I was home. And there were 4 adults around 1 kid (we lived with my paternal grandparents) so someone DEFINITELY would have heard me if I squeaked. Heck, our dog at the time used to fetch a person whenever I made a sound.

Meanwhile, my average-sized kid took about 2 months to start sleeping through the night. I'll get him back for that eventually. :devil:
My child is 4.5 pounds.

I do not wish it upon you, or any parent, but I really hope you don’t have to deal with a cholicy period and the constant crying that comes with it. I literally fell asleep/passed out from exhaustion one night under our daughter’s crib while trying to settle her enough to sleep herself.

I guess I should say she doesn’t stay up all night. She just won’t sleep unless someone is holding her (and will cry if put down). Then at 8am promptly she decides she can sleep in the bassinet again. She’s still less than a week old so I don’t think it’ll stick. Just tired is all.

I guess I should say she doesn’t stay up all night. She just won’t sleep unless someone is holding her (and will cry if put down). Then at 8am promptly she decides she can sleep in the bassinet again. She’s still less than a week old so I don’t think it’ll stick. Just tired is all.
Li'l Z was kinda like that. The first week or so he was home, he'd only sleep if he was on someone's chest. Family and friends would help us out doing "shifts" so it wasn't just me. I do remember being quite exhausted, so there was a few times I'd wedge myself into the couch and prop cushions so I couldn't roll over, let him sleep on my chest, and lightly doze while he did. Actually, I don't think I had any deep sleep for the first few months he was alive. I was so worried, I'd wake up at the tiniest sound from him or the baby monitor.

We found a nice swaddle blanket that velcrod and kept the babies nice and cozy. All three of our kids slept well in that baby straightjacket. But we were still up a couple times a night for most of there first year. It gets better or you will adjust to less sleep.

My mom tells me I simply would not sleep every single night. Like she'd be holding me, and I'd be there in her arms, staring up at her, not sleeping.

According to her, this was the start of my rebellious phase, which lasted from birth until, well, now.