Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

They would never have moved iPad charging etc over to USB-C if they wouldn't have had to.
Mmm…what with Apple’s history, I might have given you that…IF they hadn’t already started switching their iPads over to USB-C in 2018 (or 2016 if you count laptops). The EU didn’t start making USB-C noises until late 2021, which was just over three years later.
So like I said before: more likely ”sped up” than “forced.”
I totally remember apple kicking and screaming like a little baby about the move to usb c
It’s not just Apple. Electronics manufacturers are all complaining about the mandated USB-C, though their stated reason for doing so is that the current legislation mandates retaining an “old” USB-C option even if/when something newer/better comes along. Of course I have no idea if that’s the ONLY reason they’re complaining, or if the EU will continually update the regs in the future to allow newer connectors when this happens.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Not just east coast. Here in my tiny town we have Aldi, Brookshire's, Target, Super 1, Drug Emporium (they sell groceries, heh), Natural Grocers, Fresh, Sprouts, and 3 different mom-and-pop Asian groceries. And, of course, Walmart. No HEB or Kroger to be found.
I shopped at Brookshire’s Fresh when I lived in Tyler. It was right down the highway from me. I loved the gelato, fresh pasta, and specialty meats. My students were convinced I was rich.

edit: Most of the kids came from impoverished backgrounds and Brookshire’s Fresh was an unattainable luxury for them. Sometimes I’d bring fancy chips or brownie brittle to class and say that I was hosting a game day that weekend. Since some of my players were teenagers, maybe my students could sample the items and tell me which ones they liked best so I’d know what to get my gaming group. The kids appreciated that.

Last edited:
Anyone remember when I was a big dumb-dumb, ordered something from Amazon last year, and had it sent to my old address where I lived with my parents?

It happened again. This time with Ebay.

I ordered some comics (Man-Thing Complete Collection Vol 2 & 3)...and neglected to update my mailing address.

I've already called the building manager to inform them. Hopefully they can be retrieved. One has apparently already arrived. The other is still on its way.

Meanwhile, after I messaged my girlfriend to whine about it, she sent a voice message back: "Oh nooo! You've misplaced your Man-Thing! Your Man-Thing is at the mercy of some stranger!"

Anyone remember when I was a big dumb-dumb, ordered something from Amazon last year, and had it sent to my old address where I lived with my parents?

It happened again. This time with Ebay.

I ordered some comics (Man-Thing Complete Collection Vol 2 & 3)...and neglected to update my mailing address.

I've already called the building manager to inform them. Hopefully they can be retrieved. One has apparently already arrived. The other is still on its way.

Meanwhile, after I messaged my girlfriend to whine about it, she sent a voice message back: "Oh nooo! You've misplaced your Man-Thing! Your Man-Thing is at the mercy of some stranger!"
She gets bonus points for that response. I know what’s happening is a pain, I did it a couple of times after we moved. Good luck.

GasBandit

Staff member
There are only two rules in the Pro AV world:

1) Nothing ever works.
2) Everything's a struggle.

I keep trying to tell project managers to allow for this when planning and scheduling jobs, but we keep planning for first-try-perfection.

Coworker " Where's your costume?"

Me "I'm dressed as a father of teenagers use up all the fucking hot water in the house!"

Coworker "....good costume...."

Coworker " Where's your costume?"

Me "I'm dressed as a father of teenagers use up all the fucking hot water in the house!"

Coworker "....good costume...."
my uncle had 4 daughters, he ended up with a 80 gallon commercial fast recharge water heater and a 10 gallon reservoir tank. it worked, but holy moly.

man I wish they survived better here. my experience has been without a water softener, our water comes from limestone aquifers, so the heat coils cake and clog so fast here without softening salt. I agree with 100% in general to be clear.

GasBandit

Staff member
My NG water heater is only 4 years old, but when it dies, I'm thinking about getting an electric one that is heat pump instead of resistive element. The tech has advanced such that it can be run off a standard 120v 15a outlet (instead of 240v), and is much more energy efficient than the old tech.

I've seen electric ones in Europe and Asia but haven't seen them in the U.S. Long term we would like to be all electric with solar but that is way after other needed renovations.

Really? I see them at Home Depot and on Amazon.
yeah you can get them from any home improvement store.
Do they make electric tankless? We're on gas and we're converting to tankless when our 10+ year water heater dies.
yes, but whole house requires 100-150 amps so 4-6 open spaces. (I sell rough electrical, hardest issue we have is old houses with 60-100 amp service)
My NG water heater is only 4 years old, but when it dies, I'm thinking about getting an electric one that is heat pump instead of resistive element. The tech has advanced such that it can be run off a standard 120v 15a outlet (instead of 240v), and is much more energy efficient than the old tech.
do it, they are awesome, and generally have the best tank designs for maximum heat retention.

yeah you can get them from any home improvement store.

yes, but whole house requires 100-150 amps so 4-6 open spaces. (I sell rough electrical, hardest issue we have is old houses with 60-100 amp service)

do it, they are awesome, and generally have the best tank designs for maximum heat retention.
My contractor friend keeps trying to talk us out of installing an electric tankless to replace or supplement our traditional water heater. He suggests a water recirculation system for hot water in the more distant parts of the house that take a long time to heat up, saying they are more efficient. I'm torn, though I think I can probably install either myself so we don't have to rush to decide. I'm moderately handy when I have the right tools. The main thing I worry about is that we have three kids that will eventually be pre-teens and teenagers, and I am sure our hot water heater and too-large of home is going to be a problem eventually.

My contractor friend keeps trying to talk us out of installing an electric tankless to replace or supplement our traditional water heater. He suggests a water recirculation system for hot water in the more distant parts of the house that take a long time to heat up, saying they are more efficient. I'm torn, though I think I can probably install either myself so we don't have to rush to decide. I'm moderately handy when I have the right tools. The main thing I worry about is that we have three kids that will eventually be pre-teens and teenagers, and I am sure our hot water heater and too-large of home is going to be a problem eventually.
biggest issue with recirculation systems is your cold water will always be luke warm. I generally suggest point-of-use water heaters if you are running out of hot water in large buildings. all of these are ways to cut the cake.

I live in a 2000 sqft rambler with a standard 40 gallon tanked heater, but there is only 3 people in the house and we all bathe at different times so effectively besides appliance needs, its more than enough.

When we replaced the 40gal in the 1000ft house where I used to live, I replaced it with a 30gal that had a MUCH faster recovery time. it was fine for the needs of 3 people, and when only one person was using it, it was fast enough to be almost like a tankless so long as you were willing to cut down the flow rate a bit.
He suggests a water recirculation system for hot water in the more distant parts of the house that take a long time to heat up, saying they are more efficient.
That’s…basic physics says this can’t be possible. If you are heating water in one place and then circulating it out all over the house through yards and yards (or meters, whatever) of UNinsulated pipes/tubing, that’s called a radiator. It might mean you get hot water out of the tap faster, but more efficient? Absolutely not. You’re better off with zoning/point-of-use/dedicated tankless like Bones says if you want speed AND efficiency.

Now if you live somewhere that you need to worry about the pipes freezing, recirculation IS a great way to make sure that never happens.

—Patrick

Solar panels, practically non-existent.
Man, it's weird how solar panels - which are a great idea and everyone should have them if they can afford them and have the space etc - are being punished around here nowadays. Having solar panels means being locked into a specific set of contracts which allow feeding back electricity to the net (even if you have a battery and don't intend to ever do so), which pays a pittance for what you generate, but they have much higher net tariffs to offset the additional work they have to do to accommodate a more distributed supply network. Plus taxes on the solar panels themselves, and taxes on any "profit" generated from the power supplied back.
We had massive subsidies for them for a number of years, the cost spiraled out of control, and since everybody who could afford it at the time has these installed and has 15- or 20-year "rights" to deductions, the government is trying to recoup those losses by taxing those same solar panel owners....Meaning anyone who *now* installs them gets the double whammy of no more (well, barely any) subsidies, yet all of the pleasure of paying for the other owners.

Mind you, if I had the capital I'd definitely put some on my roof. Given that it's a small townhouse, that wouldn't do much, though, and I'd probably make a net loss out of them.

When we replaced the 40gal in the 1000ft house where I used to live, I replaced it with a 30gal that had a MUCH faster recovery time. it was fine for the needs of 3 people, and when only one person was using it, it was fast enough to be almost like a tankless so long as you were willing to cut down the flow rate a bit.

That’s…basic physics says this can’t be possible. If you are heating water in one place and then circulating it out all over the house through yards and yards (or meters, whatever) of UNinsulated pipes/tubing, that’s called a radiator. It might mean you get hot water out of the tap faster, but more efficient? Absolutely not. You’re better off with zoning/point-of-use/dedicated tankless like Bones says if you want speed AND efficiency.

Now if you live somewhere that you need to worry about the pipes freezing, recirculation IS a great way to make sure that never happens.

—Patrick
I believe he was recommending a smart one that predicts hot water usage.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh good. As my stress levels increase this week, I've developed a random THUMPING sound in my right ear from the involuntary muscle twitches.

That's super helpful, being that it prevents me from concentrating on the things I'm trying to work on whose schedule is the reason I am stressed in the first place.

WELL I SAY HE DOES HAVE TO SHOOT ME NOW! SO SHOOT ME NOW!

A coworker in TO has had a baby and everyone is using reply all to the announcement.