Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

So I get home and flick on the hallway light switch. The light sputters and goes out. No problem I got a huge number of brand new LED bulbs ready to replace all over the house. So I unscrew the light fixture and...

View attachment 32407

... Son of a bitch.
ahhh yes the GU24 base 100 watt eq CFL!
These did the trick for me: Amazon product
Be careful who you get these adapters from, they can be a huge fire hazard. But yeah thats the way to go.

I had the same problem when I tried to switch out a light bulb at a hotel.
I’d never encountered that base in a “normal” fixture before.

—Patrick
they were used in the early to mid 2000s for all of 5-7 years before the "energy freedom act of 2007" nullified their need when they outlawed incandescent light bulbs.

I’m having a rough go lately pain and mobility wise. I am hoping I’m injured. If not, it means we’ve cut back too far on my anti-rejection meds and I have to increase them.

I want to cut back on them even more because it’s a chemo drug and it’s nasty.
Post automatically merged:

Oh and I’m forgetful AF right now and I fell asleep for the night around 5:00pm last night. Grrr

That’s my migraine meds and lack of sleep. This one causes my hair to come out in clumps, loss of appetite, liver damage is a high possibility (so I can’t drink on it) and those are the super concerning ones. When I injected it, the dose was way higher and I had this gross hangover the day after. I only get that occasionally now.

This week (Nov 4-10) I am on a week of study leave - reading, writing stuff for fancy academic publications, taking a class, etc. But still available in case of emergency.

Dammit.

First day, - one of my homebound folks dies. She was in hospital the week before, but seemed to be stable. Nope!

Fine. I can deal with adding a funeral to this. I lose maybe 8-12 hours of cont ed time.

Hahahahaha!

Oh was I wrong.

This family is a gong show. I love them dearly, and their mom was a really lovely person, but holy crap.

I've probably already spent 16+ hours on this service, and I still have to meet with the family (3 siblings, and possibly a niece) tomorrow; and the service itself (a 2-hour affair! At their insistence!! Plus the reception, plus the burial) is on Saturday afternoon.

I have never, ever, spent this much time on a funeral service. Not even the accidental and gory drowning death of a young father required this much hand-holding and detail changing.
It's over!!! 6 hours on a Saturday, with a 90min funeral and fully 9 people "sharing remembrances" during the service.

Holy crap, I'm exhausted.

Though I'm rather impressed by my ability to keep the service to just 90mins with that many separate speakers.

*sigh* I don't know why I keep torturing myself by trying to record audio, no matter how much I edit it (with settings like Bass, Treble, Normalize, etc). The quality sounds terrible and I hate, hate, HATE the way I speak. I feel like it's boring and all my inflections are off, like I'm reading from a script (which I am). But I can't make it sound natural.

*sigh* I don't know why I keep torturing myself by trying to record audio, no matter how much I edit it (with settings like Bass, Treble, Normalize, etc). The quality sounds terrible and I hate, hate, HATE the way I speak. I feel like it's boring and all my inflections are off, like I'm reading from a script (which I am). But I can't make it sound natural.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/05/adobe-project-awesome-audio-one-click-audio-editing/

I mean, this would compensate for the audio quality issue, at least.
No clue if it's going to come to market or was just a tech demo, though.

--Patrick

McDonald’s when I order gravy, it’s because I NEED gravy on my McFries. I want ALL the fat, salt and nasty goddammit.

Don’t take my money and keep my gravy, you jerks.

And don’t sell me a bucket of regular coke instead of diet you heathens.

McDonald’s when I order gravy, it’s because I NEED gravy on my McFries. I want ALL the fat, salt and nasty goddammit.

Don’t take my money and keep my gravy, you jerks.

And don’t sell me a bucket of regular coke instead of diet you heathens.
McDonald's selling gravy seems like the most Canadian thing ever, and yet selling coke by the bucket is strictly American

I'm working on a bunch of translations related to legal stuff, and I've seen the phrase "mutatis mutandis" so much it's lost all meaning.

Actually that's not quite accurate, the phrase didn't mean anything to me in the first place. I think it's some sort of genetic mechanism that makes X-Men.

Dave

Staff member
On the 6th I went to the store and got some dog food and people food. The charge came to $50.36. My card was declined with a weird error so they had me run it again. It went through fine. I get home and BOTH charges are posting against my account.

I called the bank and they said that they were having issues, not the grocery store, so they credited me back the $50.36 and also voided the initial purchase. So I made sure to keep an additional $51 in the account because I KNEW they were going to make an adjustment. On the 12th - unnoticed by me - they AGAIN credited $50.36 for some strange reason. So we thought we had $50.36 more in the account than we did. Because this morning they took both charges out, taking out account into the negatives.

Bills are all paid and there's food in the house, but if any more tiny bills come out like Pandora or Netflix, that will be returned and they'll try and throw a $33 charge on us. Fucking banks, man.

On the 6th I went to the store and got some dog food and people food. The charge came to $50.36. My card was declined with a weird error so they had me run it again. It went through fine. I get home and BOTH charges are posting against my account.

I called the bank and they said that they were having issues, not the grocery store, so they credited me back the $50.36 and also voided the initial purchase. So I made sure to keep an additional $51 in the account because I KNEW they were going to make an adjustment. On the 12th - unnoticed by me - they AGAIN credited $50.36 for some strange reason. So we thought we had $50.36 more in the account than we did. Because this morning they took both charges out, taking out account into the negatives.

Bills are all paid and there's food in the house, but if any more tiny bills come out like Pandora or Netflix, that will be returned and they'll try and throw a $33 charge on us. Fucking banks, man.
Tell them you don't want overdraft protection. Then rather than eating a $35 charge for not having money the initial attempted charge will just fail. Overdraft protection is a relic of days gone when instant account checking didn't exist and people still wrote paper checks.

There is no reason why an overdraft attempt can’t just be refused unless the bank in question just doesn’t want to offer that option, in which case it’s probably time for another bank.

—Patrick

My mother sent home a meatloaf after this weekend. I was so ready for a sandwich or two tonight. It was raw. She gave me the wrong meatloaf. So instead of waiting seconds to heat up my slice of loaf, I had to bake it for nearly two hours.

But still, I'll have homemade meatloaf tonight!

GasBandit

Staff member
The last couple nights have had hard freezes here.... and today, I have a leaky tank on my hot water heater >_< at least it's in my garage where the water damage will be mostly discolored concrete. I wouldn't have guessed I'd be putting my home warranty to use so soon... I definitely didn't expect the 20 year old A/C to outlast the 2 year old hot water heater.

The last couple nights have had hard freezes here.... and today, I have a leaky tank on my hot water heater >_< at least it's in my garage where the water damage will be mostly discolored concrete. I wouldn't have guessed I'd be putting my home warranty to use so soon... I definitely didn't expect the 20 year old A/C to outlast the 2 year old hot water heater.
We've have to replace the hot water heater in my parent's house at least ever 7-8 years. We've only had to replace the AC or furnace once in 35+. Hot water heaters are kinda garbage.

GasBandit

Staff member
Go tankless.
Not sure it's actually worth it. Tankless costs twice as much to install and has more expensive annual maintenance, which makes that ~$7.50 a month energy savings really kinda moot. Also, until now, I haven't really had a problem running out of hot water or anything.

I didn’t actually want you to explain it, it’s more about how is that possible? Is your tank not grounded? Does it just munch through anode rods like candy or something?

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn’t actually want you to explain it, it’s more about how is that possible? Is your tank not grounded? Does it just munch through anode rods like candy or something?

—Patrick
Dunno. I don't think the leak is actually from the tank itself, given that the water dripping out of it isn't hot. Maybe a bad seal or valve on the intake.

Anyway, it's shut off and drained, now. I'll be showering at a friend's house for a few days, I guess.

First repair we had at our new house was the water heater, happy to put that American Home Shield to work on that, but it only took a day to get it done for us. Everything was done to code when the heater was installed.

Dunno. I don't think the leak is actually from the tank itself, given that the water dripping out of it isn't hot. Maybe a bad seal or valve on the intake.

Anyway, it's shut off and drained, now. I'll be showering at a friend's house for a few days, I guess.
Not sure it's actually worth it. Tankless costs twice as much to install and has more expensive annual maintenance, which makes that ~$7.50 a month energy savings really kinda moot. Also, until now, I haven't really had a problem running out of hot water or anything.
The only reason we got one honestly is because my husband spends way too long in the shower, and now he can do it without being chased away by cold water.

I'd consider it here personally, but a.) the house is too old and b.) Arizona. It'd be easier to just throw up a solar panel, but I don't think the association would care much for it.

I borked up.

I made the mistake of thinking of my mother as a, ya know, person. And a caring one at that. Such a fool.

I admitted to her that I have PTSD, and that I see a shrink for it.
What do I get in return? I get called (more) names, and told that my shrink doesn't know what she's talking about.

And she wonders why I don't jump at the chance to see her whenever she's in town.