Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Lady comes down just before 4am. Noise from the furnace has kept her up all night. "Sounds like popcorn. But when you turn it off it's worse." Doesn't want to move because the kids are asleep. Which rules out my first option. So I offer to go take a look. Heater is fine, but I do hear plinking, popcorn-ish sounds from outside. Did I mention it's raining? I go out to see if there's anything I can move to quiet things down,

It's coming from the gutter... right above their window. :facepalm:

So APPARENTLY-my township no longer takes recyclables from barrels...such as the perfectly good plastic barrel I've been using for recycling for the past couple years. So NOW-I have a full barrel of fucking recyclables, that I'm going to divide between 2 and a half blue barrels. It WOULD be the equivalent of 3 barrels, but the jack-ass recycle people fucking BROKE one of them because GRAH I'm mad!

So I've been not great since this and I spent a couple of weeks with weird unlocalized chest pain and getting winded trying to do anything more strenuous than walking. Doctor ruled out all the immediately scary stuff, so it's still a mystery. An annoying one.
Follow up appointment: Doctor thinks it's likely inflammation, and wrote me an anti-inflammatory scrip and scheduled a follow up for the beginning of January to see if that fixes it.

Lung inflammation or in the little joints along the sternum?

Sounds unpleasant for sure. Take it easy!
Either on my heart, or the areas surrounding it, because all those areas were sensitive to outside touch. Lungs were fine on X-Ray from last time, so they are not an issue.

TMI: And as another thing that I saw on my lab work, because it shows up on my healthcare app as soon as it's complete, is that I'm pretty sure I should expect a call from my doctor at some point today telling me to pick up another prescription for the UTI that I think popped up on my urine test. Yay being a woman.

TMI: And as another thing that I saw on my lab work, because it shows up on my healthcare app as soon as it's complete, is that I'm pretty sure I should expect a call from my doctor at some point today telling me to pick up another prescription for the UTI that I think popped up on my urine test. Yay being a woman.
Ugh, I just had to deal with one of those. "Yay for being a woman" was exactly what the female nurse said as she wrote me the prescription.

Step 1. Buy unique item for craft.
Step 2. Clean desk.
Step 3. Place unique item for craft on now clean desk.
Step 4. Step away from desk.
Step 5. Enjoy aneurysm when unique item is no longer on desk three minutes later.

I'm probably going to be alone this christmas. I don't want to go to Vero's parents house. I prefer to be alone than to spend four hours sitting talking to nobody until dinner and then spend the rest of the night sitting talking to nobody until Vero decides to go home. Vero is silently angry about my decision.

Well, spent Christmas with my mom and her side of the family. This morning I was chatting my mom, an aunt and my brother and somehow the subject of human sexuality came up. My aunt showed me my uncle's trans grand-daughter from another marriage and they, my mom and my aunt, kept calling her he, etc. All I said was it was the least respect you could show her to just use the pronouns she prefers. That was fine. I tried to espouse the complexity of human sexuality and they're pretty open minded in general about that stuff for 65+ year old women.

Then my mom says something that hurt me a lot but I know it wasn't her fault. That she couldn't understand how someone could be bisexual and that she doesn't think she could ever understand how one of them thinks and that she was thankful she had 3 boys that were three men that were heterosexual just to save them from all the issues that society imposes on people who aren't.

My family still doesn't know, and I know they wouldn't be angry or upset if they knew, it just still hurts to hear loved ones talk like that about who you really are.

Well, spent Christmas with my mom and her side of the family. This morning I was chatting my mom, an aunt and my brother and somehow the subject of human sexuality came up. My aunt showed me my uncle's trans grand-daughter from another marriage and they, my mom and my aunt, kept calling her he, etc. All I said was it was the least respect you could show her to just use the pronouns she prefers. That was fine. I tried to espouse the complexity of human sexuality and they're pretty open minded in general about that stuff for 65+ year old women.

Then my mom says something that hurt me a lot but I know it wasn't her fault. That she couldn't understand how someone could be bisexual and that she doesn't think she could ever understand how one of them thinks and that she was thankful she had 3 boys that were three men that were heterosexual just to save them from all the issues that society imposes on people who aren't.

My family still doesn't know, and I know they wouldn't be angry or upset if they knew, it just still hurts to hear loved ones talk like that about who you really are.

I know it's hurtful, but just keep in mind she isn't trying to actively hurt you. Her stance, that she's glad people in her family aren't gay/bi/trans/etc because it would be hard for them is a common one that a lot of family don't realize is hurtful. In my family, my grandparents often took this stance, and it wasn't until they had a plethora of gay grand and great-grand children (they had 10 kids, so there's a -lot- of grandkids) for them to finally realize how limited their view was.

Also, I'm not sure I can articulate this properly in English, but "I'm glad my son/grandson/etc isn't gay/bi/trans/etc" doesn't necessarily mean they personally wouldn't accept it. "Given the social stigma still attached to [minority], I'm glad my [family member] isn't burdened/challenged by being part of [minority]" is a valid way of reading that sentence.
Given that being a black guy in the Southern USA in the 1950s was difficult, I'm glad my son isn't a black guy in the Southern USA in the 1950s. That doesn't mean I have something against black men in the South in the '50s, just that I'm glad they don't have to scale that particular mountain.
Of course, since being a black man in the '50s - or being gay, bi, or whatever - isn't a choice, this can still be hurtful and isn't a very useful comment. I'm glad my [family member] isn't mentally or physically impaired, too, but if they were, I wouldn't love them any less - saddened by their problems, at most.

Also, I'm not sure I can articulate this properly in English, but "I'm glad my son/grandson/etc isn't gay/bi/trans/etc" doesn't necessarily mean they personally wouldn't accept it. "Given the social stigma still attached to [minority], I'm glad my [family member] isn't burdened/challenged by being part of [minority]" is a valid way of reading that sentence.
Given that being a black guy in the Southern USA in the 1950s was difficult, I'm glad my son isn't a black guy in the Southern USA in the 1950s. That doesn't mean I have something against black men in the South in the '50s, just that I'm glad they don't have to scale that particular mountain.
Of course, since being a black man in the '50s - or being gay, bi, or whatever - isn't a choice, this can still be hurtful and isn't a very useful comment. I'm glad my [family member] isn't mentally or physically impaired, too, but if they were, I wouldn't love them any less - saddened by their problems, at most.
The problem is, that's what they think they're saying, but really they're just admitting their own bigotries. It's one of those ways people rationalize their own prejudices, often without realizing it.

The problem is, that's what they think they're saying, but really they're just admitting their own bigotries. It's one of those ways people rationalize their own prejudices, often without realizing it.
I dunno. Maybe? I can certainly understand that it is still hurtful, and may indicate personal bigotry. It is certainly a mindset that can help reinforce or maintain socially ingrained prejudices, and I'm not claiming it's a good or positive mentality - if everyone hopes not to be confronted with X, X will remain a taboo and something to be ashamed of or hidden away, which is obviously not what one should want. But I think it's hard to go straight from one to the other. If bisexuality or homosexuality was 100% completely socially accepted in her social circles and there was no bias/social backlash towards it, would she still hope none of her (grand)children were gay? It indicates a "doesn't want to rock the boat" mentality, but not necessarily a strong personal prejudice, I think. Again, this doesn't mean it is or isn't hurtful, or harmful.

I tried to explain a similar thing to a coworker this week when she wondered why someone would have removed my spot on purpose knowing that I have a permit.

Short answer: people can be really careless with their words/actions when they haven’t been there themselves and it hurts.

Long answer: later when I’m not so gross from whatever plague got me.