Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I've had to cut back my joking in the office to almost zero. It sucks, but people are way to sensitive nowadays.
Admittedly, I've rubbed a few people the wrong way with my jokes. And I'm self-aware enough to recognize it most times and apologize.

I spoke to my supervisor about it. He didn't see the humor in what I said either, which I conceded to. But he passed it on to the woman's supervisor. (We sat in different rows and have different supervisors)

I don't think it's just nowadays. In emails and stuff though it's hard to see tone. You can tell just by reading these forums.

I've had to cut back my joking in the office to almost zero. It sucks, but people are way to sensitive nowadays.
After doing a training on internal investigations with my employer, I will tell you the "It was just a joke" defense doesn't hold up when it comes to company policies or union rules on workplace behavior. They have too much riding on it legally and financially to put up with employees not respecting others. So it isn't just "people are way too sensitive". It's companies setting rules and boundaries that will encourage a respectful workplace while covering their asses against being taken to court.

And, truthfully, if you're having that many problems with people being offended by your jokes, it might be time to look at yourself instead of painting everyone else as too sensitive.

Also, sometimes - not in this case, to be clear - "it's a joke" can be part of the problem. The fact that you (again, not you, Nick, a general you) think making crude rape jokes is a-ok and telling a woman to shut up and bend over is funny, is actual rape culture at work...at work.
Which doesn't mean I think rape jokes are evil, on the contrary, I'm a firm believer in the idea that you should be able to joke about anything...but not every joke is appropriate in every context, and some jokes are very prone to being misread. Heck, I've had more than a few discussions inv this very forum about things I said in jest that were misconstrued and/or interpreted differently than intended. Sometimes, I've put it down to " X was in a bad place/looking for a fight", sometimes I've looked back and realized "yeah, that was the absolute wrong thing to say" or "wow, what the F was I thinking". I've actually learned a few things about how or when what jokes are okay from this place.

That said, in this context, I think it was possible to make a joke about it, but "too slow! Haha!" probably came off as derisive, mocking her for not having seen the other response or being too slow at her work, while she was trying to be helpful. Personally, I'd probably have made a sarcastic "thanks, I'll let me from an hour ago know" or "wow, thanks for being so much more precise and in-depth in your reply than Y" (bonus points if they both really gave the exact same reply) joke out of it, both of which would probably have been worse than what you said.

And, truthfully, if you're having that many problems with people being offended by your jokes, it might be time to look at yourself instead of painting everyone else as too sensitive.
I suppose it could be that I am not sensitive enough, but it's not like I make racist/sexist/whatever-ist jokes. They are usually dumb jokes like ThatNickGuy said. People are more reactionary than they used to be. I've seen folks get super-angry over the smallest bullshit. It is so much easier to just do my own thing and keep my head down.

You have to know your audience. I could say a coworkers dick is do small it wouldn't satisfy a hamster and get chuckles. Say his wife is a bitch and it's an automatic fight.

And either of those jokes at my work would get me reported to my union and I would be in serious trouble. No fist fight, but no more managing people either.

Instead I joke about very safe topics and celebrities.

GasBandit

Staff member
Meanwhile I once pranked a coworker by literally putting human shit in his office. I got written up, but it was toothless because I am the backbone of this entire operation :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, ewww, dude. No.
In my "defense," this was the final Hiroshima/Ender's Game moment in an escalating series of slights and bad-faith "pranks" in which I decided to end it decisively and make sure nobody ever thought about getting into this with me again. It has so far been successful.

In my "defense," this was the final Hiroshima/Ender's Game moment in an escalating series of slights and bad-faith "pranks" in which I decided to end it decisively and make sure nobody ever thought about getting into this with me again. It has so far been successful.
“The Pooclear Option.”

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I suppose it could be that I am not sensitive enough, but it's not like I make racist/sexist/whatever-ist jokes. They are usually dumb jokes like ThatNickGuy said. People are more reactionary than they used to be. I've seen folks get super-angry over the smallest bullshit. It is so much easier to just do my own thing and keep my head down.
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that people are more sensitive to jokes. Whether anyone believes you or not, believe ME. And Seinfeld and Chris Rock and...People are much more likely to be offended by the same stuff people used to laugh at.

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that people are more sensitive to jokes [now].
Well, they do say that timing is everything.
Wait:
Laughter is the best medicine.
We look upon humor from 50+ years ago as being out of touch and wrong.
We look upon medicine from 50+ years ago as being out of touch and wrong.
Hmmm.....

—Patrick

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that people are more sensitive to jokes. Whether anyone believes you or not, believe ME. And Seinfeld and Chris Rock and...People are much more likely to be offended by the same stuff people used to laugh at.
Sure, your Homo Erectus jokes killed it with the Neanderthals, but you can't expect those jokes to work now. Thse are our ancestors you're mocking!

That's what you say a week before you realize you've been lulled into a false sense of security for the ultimate revenge.

Assay failed. Three days of work and you don't find out if it worked until the third day. Sucks. I don't even know where it went wrong. Just do it again for results on Friday.

So my dumb fat ass cut myself on the left index finger pretty well with a utility knife at work yesterday. Enough that I had to go to urgent care because I couldn't get the bleeding stop. Luckily I didn't need stitches after the bleeding did stop, but I had to get a tetanus shot because I couldn't remember how long ago I last got one. Stayed home today to let my finger heal some more. Drowning my depression in a pint of peanut butter cheesecake yogurt.

Sunday I threw out my back. Or, probably more precisely, going electric mountain bike scootering off road on Saturday, combined with sitting on crappy low logs around a log fire scorching my front while leaving my back frozen, probably contributed to some pretty bad backache. Combine with three-hour return drive in a small uncomfortable car with my legs folded half-way behind my head and carrying a lot of stuff to and fro, and you can tell it was due to go wrong.
Anyway, that combined on Monday with some pretty bad diarrhea and cramps. And today, those two have gotten company of a throat ache that's defying all painkillers and local medicine.
None of the three is quite bad enough on their own to stay at home, and a doctor won't really give me a pass for three minor issues, but it really sucks that those are joining together for one work week from Hell.

Second whine/rant - two-for-the-price-of-one: next weekend, we'll be staying at my brother's place in France. Lovely house, though not really used enough to be in perfect condition.
We'll be arriving with 5 people in our small car, on Friday night - about 10PM. We can't exactly take a lot of wood with us. By no, they've asked us to fold and put away their laundry, cut the grass, go visit the elderly neighbors to help them with their apple PC infested with some sort of phishing software, and buy new wood to replace what we'll use. Each separately, sure, I don't mind. I'm willing to do a bit in return for being allowed to use their house. But doing all of that pretty much means I'll be doing chores all weekend, and I'm paying for the privilege. Yeah, uh, next time I might just book a vacation villa somewhere, it'll be a bit more expensive but at least I won't be mowing the friggin' lawn!

Back in August - yes, August - we set a date for a weekend with friends. There were to be 6 of us. One cancelled a few months ago - a friend of her was organizing a LARP, and she was involved with design and writing, and then they suddenly changed the date. Sad and I think I complained about it back then, but OK;
Another one cancelled because she's involved in a hackathon and her group was selected for the semi finals which take place the same weekend.
Now a third one cancelled because he's feeling sickish.
Only one remaining now is the partner of the girl who's participating in the hackathon, and my gf and me. Whoopdiedoo.

Cajungal

Staff member
This salad is almost all croutons, fuck the guy that made it.
Booooo, that sucks. I recently tried the hamburger salad at a burger joint. Their food was really good, so I was looking forward to it. Nope. The salad was an afterthought. It was mostly cheese with shredded iceberg and black olives. So gross.