Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Reactions
468 297 1
The kids, mostly my son, aren’t grasping that the bitching, fighting, whining and complaining are literally painful at the moment.

Interrupting me while I’m helping you to bitch that I’m not doing it correctly/fast enough/or just need to bitch/beg me to buy you something else is not the way to make me want to keep helping you.

Reactions
1,821 530 14
Interrupting me while I’m helping you to bitch that I’m not doing it correctly/fast enough/or just need to bitch/beg me to buy you something else is not the way to make me want to keep helping you.
Can you film this? And then, when people at work start doing the same thing to you, can you show it to them as a cautionary tale?

—Patrick

Reactions
375 167 0
90% it's carcinomatosis throughout the fat in the abdominal cavity, with the liver probably affected, and no treatment worth trying. 10% it's lymphoma, and aggressive chemotherapy could buy him upwards of 6-12mo at a reduced quality of life. Internist advised to go for palliative because of his age and the sheer amount of cancer found. He says steroids and GI medication might get him feeling better for anywhere between a day and a few weeks (months if the DM feels kind), but it'll make treatment much harder (steroid helps cancer) so the next step is euthanasia. I don't think I want to put Ali through chemo on a 10% chance he gets a few months of fucked up side effects.

Ali's the cat I credit with saving my life, so the idea that I now get to kill him so soon after is not thrilling.
Palliative meds slowly lost effectiveness, Ali stopped eating completely by mid-last week, and his nausea severely increased. He was put on a second antiemetic and had his abdomen drained Monday; both made him more comfortable, but he just slid away personality-wise, kind of like an illness-spurred dementia. I had to move him to a water bowl several times a day so he'd remember to drink (boy was he thirsty), and his litterbox training went away just as his motor control decayed further, so I started giving him towel baths. I spent the rest of the week either working or hanging out with him, but it was clearly time (or past it). Thankfully he never displayed any signs of pain, just increasing confusion/disorientation, and dehydration. His euthanasia was this morning, and I'll get the ashes in a week or two. Thankfully I had 3 very close friends (who also loved him) with me, and they kept me company today. This is the first pet I've had die (Mixa was "lost" in that she's alive and well 2000 miles away, decidedly not the same), it's definitely a formative experience.

Reactions
483 260 2
Palliative meds slowly lost effectiveness, Ali stopped eating completely by mid-last week, and his nausea severely increased. He was put on a second antiemetic and had his abdomen drained Monday; both made him more comfortable, but he just slid away personality-wise, kind of like an illness-spurred dementia. I had to move him to a water bowl several times a day so he'd remember to drink (boy was he thirsty), and his litterbox training went away just as his motor control decayed further, so I started giving him towel baths. I spent the rest of the week either working or hanging out with him, but it was clearly time (or past it). Thankfully he never displayed any signs of pain, just increasing confusion/disorientation, and dehydration. His euthanasia was this morning, and I'll get the ashes in a week or two. Thankfully I had 3 very close friends (who also loved him) with me, and they kept me company today. This is the first pet I've had die (Mixa was "lost" in that she's alive and well 2000 miles away, decidedly not the same), it's definitely a formative experience.
I'm so sorry. It's never easy. <hugs>

Reactions
483 260 2
You assume it will become so, especially after you've gone through it many times. But they're all different, and they all touch your heart in different ways, and get tangled in different strings...

--Patrick
The day it becomes easy is the day I stop rescuing.

Reactions
468 297 1
My mother is on my ass to work. My knees hurt so much that I could puke. I can barely stand to put weight on them and walking is misery. I shouldn’t have to waste time explaining this to a retired nurse. If it were my sister though...all the days off would have been suggested.

As far as she’s concerned nothing is wrong and I need to work hard every day blah blah blah. I fell badly less than a week ago.

God, I wish I’d gone to the hospital with the paramedics and gotten all the scans then. I was in shock though and didn’t even realize my knees were a mess :(

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,713 763 13
Disgusting old man health stuff alert!

So I have a hemorrhoid. (Or is it AN hemorrhoid?) Anyway, I've had it for about a month or more. I have had no discomfort since the first day or so of it appearing. So now I'm making a doctor's appointment but I don't want to because (a) I hate cold, squishy fingers up my butt and (b) it's time I get a colonoscopy again and I don't want one.

God damn getting old sucks.

Reactions
1,821 530 14
Disgusting old man health stuff alert!

So I have a hemorrhoid. (Or is it AN hemorrhoid?) Anyway, I've had it for about a month or more. I have had no discomfort since the first day or so of it appearing. So now I'm making a doctor's appointment but I don't want to because (a) I hate cold, squishy fingers up my butt and (b) it's time I get a colonoscopy again and I don't want one.

God damn getting old sucks.
You think it's disgusting now, wait until you have it ligated!
My left knee has grown a lump. It’s really weird.
Hopefully just a regular old lump and not a hematoma.

--Patrick

Reactions
964 187 1
And now I have a doctor's appointment for the 26th to get it all looked at. Yay.
I had to go get examined for the same thing. Had a hemorrhoid, had to go get a finger up the butt to check it. I was standing there, bent over the table, with some old doctors digit in my rectum as he tries to talk to me.

He finishes, tells me it's fine, it's a common type of hemorrhoid and will go away on its own, and then tells me my prostate is healthy to.

!!! I didn't ask you to check that! You weren't supposed to take the tour. I actually felt semi violated.

That's my hemorrhoid story.

Reactions
684 110 0
Last time I had a prostate exam, the doc put pressure on it and asked if it hurt.

"Well, it doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't exactly say I feel comfortable right now..."

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,713 763 13
My doctor told me that he'd heard every joke when it comes to prostate exams. I took that as a challenge. So the last time I was there I pulled down my pants, bent over, and right before the deed I said, "Huh. I usually have to wait until April 15 for that to happen."

I got an honest to god genuine laugh out of him.

Reactions
759 224 5
My mother is on my ass to work. My knees hurt so much that I could puke. I can barely stand to put weight on them and walking is misery. I shouldn’t have to waste time explaining this to a retired nurse.
I've been steaming about this for a while. This sounds like an abusive relationship. If this is the way she treats you after getting badly injured, you don't need her in your life, and especially not in the lives of your children. I'm mad enough to want to personally call her and tell her off. Cutting ties might be painful, but probably needs to be done.

Reactions
468 297 1
I had boiling hot noodles spilled on my leg today and Ding Dong keeps trying to walk and sit on my knee. I’m too tired to fight. This was taken right on my knee. I poked him until he moved his fluffy butt just a bit over so he’s next to it rather than on it. What is the appeal of being right on it??

He’s so bad.

952A387E-D6C2-4A72-A20E-41361EBD6998.jpeg

Reactions
964 187 1
I had boiling hot noodles spilled on my leg today and Ding Dong keeps trying to walk and sit on my knee. I’m too tired to fight. This was taken right on my knee. I poked him until he moved his fluffy butt just a bit over so he’s next to it rather than on it. What is the appeal of being right on it??

He’s so bad.

View attachment 28794
Cats feed off of pain and anguish.

That, or that part of your leg is just warmer than the rest, but probably that first thing.

Reactions
468 297 1
He knows it causes you pain.
Yes, I can see this.
Post automatically merged:

Cats feed off of pain and anguish.

That, or that part of your leg is just warmer than the rest, but probably that first thing.
He is a jerk. It’s the first most likely. The heat thing for our mind cats. All the others seems to manage not sitting on it.

Reactions
317 89 0
I send an email to a director with a very stupid math error in its content. I've always being bad doing math in my head. I'm am (or I used to be) very good with algebra and calculus, but I cant for the life of me do math in my head.

Reactions
1,821 530 14
I send an email to a director with a very stupid math error in its content. I've always being bad doing math in my head. I'm am (or I used to be) very good with algebra and calculus, but I cant for the life of me do math in my head.
I have a similar problem, in that I can grasp advanced concepts easily, but then I will still - when I should have +’d. I tell people that I’m good at math, just bad with arithmetic.

—Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
Reactions
468 128 0
I didn't learn to do mental math well until I had to learn what strategies to teach my students.