Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
At the department of public safety (what Texans call the DMV) to get my driver's license renewed.

This is literally libertarian hell.

Yeah we should cut its funding so the lines will be longer!
You wouldn't believe the difference in the "DMV" in Alberta between when it was public, and when it went private.

As in you wouldn't believe how dramatically BETTER it was after it was privatized. From 2+ hours routine waits, to literally walk up when you arrive, unless it's super-busy, in which case you might need to wait maybe 5 minutes.

To be completely fair the other way, Nova Scotia's public licencing thing isn't so bad. 10-15 minute wait average, and then 10-15 minutes to get your stuff done. Still feel like it could be better, but haven't experienced really bad with it yet either.

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, took me a little over 2 hours (2 hours of waiting, literally less than 5 minutes of standing at the counter when my turn came). Turns out they DO offer appointments, though, so I was mistaken about that... but now I don't have to worry about that for another 12 years. Plenty of time to forget again. Or maybe by then I'll be renewing in deep VR or something. Or I might be dead. It's a wide world, anything can happen.

My rabbit died around Christmas, still a bit shook up about it no matter how much I try to move on. Oft times I'd forget to refill the rabbit's food and water before sleeping, than I'd instantly remember and fill both bowls up. Now that part of my routine is gone, as well as the cute rabbit that came with it. That's life I guess.

I think I can renew online this year, but I also never got my vision restriction removed two years ago sooooo.

I’m at a point in my life right now where my savings CAN absorb the $500 deductible, but only just, and nothing else can happen any time soon. So that’s why this isn’t in the whiny baby thread.
Wife needs dental work. ~$1900.
NOW it's in the whiny baby thread.

thiswalletinparticular.jpg

--Patrick

Damn damn damn damn! It looks like the University of SK is going to go on strike. Time to step up my world domination plan.

fade

Staff member
I hate writing job offer rejection letters. Feels like a breakup letter. "Dear John, Inc.: It's not me, it's you."

GasBandit

Staff member
An uncle came through town for a visit this weekend. Boy, let me tell you, he's exhausting. He's just so... whiny. Nothing is ever good, to him. We play a game, he has to find an aspect to complain about. We go to a restaurant, he invariably doesn't like what he has ordered. I took him to the best Chinese place in town - it's won lots of awards, including best-of-area, multiple years in a row - and he complained about how the food was prepared. The staff barely spoke two sentences of english that weren't directed at us, and my uncle thinks he can tell them how to be more authentic with their Chinese food. And the only topic of conversation he wants to bring up are his health problems and his medications - especially their side effects. I mean, he's family and I love him, but damn, man, a little of this uncle goes a long way.

The windows in my bedroom suck and make even the smallest bits of wind sound like we're in the Wizard of Oz. We desperately need new windows but my husband doesn't see the urgency because he can sleep through anything. :| (Also I'd actually have to keep the bedroom clean and as has been discussed many times before, I am a fucking slob. I can sort of rein it in for the public parts of the house, but the bedroom is a giant laundry basket at all times)

Dave

Staff member
The Keureg at work broke. Okay, no worries. They are replacing it. Which they did.

I get in this morning and they had "sample" pods so I gave one a whirl. It had a weird taste to it that I can't quite describe. So I went back to my desk and got my usual tea (I only use the Keuregs for hot water - I think pods are too expensive and wasteful)...and it had the same weird taste.

My old area also has a Keureg so I went over there to redo my tea and it tasted fine. So apparently new Keuregs right out of the box have to run through the lines for a while to clear out whatever residual crap is there before the water will taste normal.

The Keureg at work broke. Okay, no worries. They are replacing it. Which they did.

I get in this morning and they had "sample" pods so I gave one a whirl. It had a weird taste to it that I can't quite describe. So I went back to my desk and got my usual tea (I only use the Keuregs for hot water - I think pods are too expensive and wasteful)...and it had the same weird taste.

My old area also has a Keureg so I went over there to redo my tea and it tasted fine. So apparently new Keuregs right out of the box have to run through the lines for a while to clear out whatever residual crap is there before the water will taste normal.
That's just the new asbestos flavor.

Zappit

Staff member
Got the flu, and it’s been a bitch. The frickin chills have been violent, but they’re finally starting to subside. Still, it feels like something crawled inside me and decided to spend the past 72 hours kicking my ass.

I sneezed last night, and doubled over because it felt like my shoulders tore right out of their sockets. That’s how sore it’s made me.

The doctor put me on Tamiflu, which has either started to work or didn’t work at all - I don’t really know. Missed two days of work, and it’s looking like I’m going to miss a third. The worst part is that I was out the day grades needed to be completed and submitted, so I had to do that from home while fighting off chills. Bleh.

Discord people already heard, but for the rest...

On Sun it snowed hard enough here that not just school, but even my job was closed by Mon morn. I had Sun off work, Tue was a vac day, and Wed is my normal day off, so 4-day vac, right?

No.

-By Mon night, there is ~6in of snow on the ground. Kid may not have school tomorrow, but wife still has a dentist appt Tue morn at 9a and a Dr appt 15mi away at 10:30a and the plows have filled our driveway apron anywhere from knee- to waist-deep in places. Oh, and Tue is also trash day so gotta get the can to the curb.
-I've been playing Diablo 3 most of Monday (new season and all) so I head out the front door to start shoveling at about 10p. My gloves and hat are in the car, so I alternate between Diablo and shoveling my way to the car as my face and fingers freeze/thaw.
-I make it to the car by about 2a...yes, there was probably too much focus on Diablo, but this house used to also be a business, so we have (best estimate) about 1200ft^2/115m^2 of sidewalk/driveway/porch I have to mine through.
-Gloves/hat now acquired, I don't have to keep stopping to warm back up, and so I get to shoveling. 2-1/2hrs later, my back is complaining but I have my car broken free and half the three-car driveway cleared out, as well as the porch, both front door paths and one leg of the public sidewalk (we live on a corner with separate entrances/addresses for each street).
-It's now 5a so I take the car to tank up on gas (part of the reason I had to get done early, almost on E) and break for b'fast at McD's. They have signs saying they are out of coffee. NBD since I'm a tea person so I order OJ. Their OJ machine picks that moment to break.
-I get back home just after 6a and grab about a 90min nap. Then it's off to all the appointments AFTER clearing out where the morning plows have again pooped in our driveway while I was napping.
-We get back around 12p and Cranky (who has been watching our son for us) says he needs to go to the store(s). Rather than having him try to clear a foot of snow off the Jeep (he's 65) and drive all over the other half of the driveway I haven't shoveled yet, I offer to drive him.
-We get back from his trips at about 2:30p and I finally settle down to go to bed.
-Cranky discovers he has left his phone at the mall. We suit up and head to the mall (again) and get his phone. We come back home and I settle down to bed (again). It's now ~3:30p and I've been up almost 30hrs straight (if you discount the nap).

Here's a pic I snapped of the house (and Cranky) when we got back from retrieving his phone.
IMG_2919.jpg

You can't even see the store across the street behind the blowing snow.

-8:30p I wake up, just in time for dinner. After dinner, I peek outside.
-It has snowed another 6in. The sidewalks and driveway have vanished again.
-I have to turn my car in tomorrow morning at 8a and leave it a week to get repaired from my accident a couple weeks ago, so looks like I'll be shoveling again tonight so I can get out of the driveway by morning.
-The piles on either side of the driveway are already above my head, so I'm probably going to have to hike each shovelful of snow a few yards down the street before I find a spot low enough to throw it.
-I would probably have bought a snowblower by now, but I've been holding off getting one because I knew I was going to have to pay this $500 insurance deductible tomorrow. Ha haa so thrifty I could just puke from all the savings and fitness I'm getting.

-It is supposed to snow another 6in during the day on Wed. I am not looking forward to Wed night. At all.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I’ve been walling around with a bright purple/red face on my business trip because I got some horrible wind burn switching planes in Toronto. Not even my crazy foundation can cover it.

Dave

Staff member
Discord people already heard, but for the rest...

On Sun it snowed hard enough here that not just school, but even my job was closed by Mon morn. I had Sun off work, Tue was a vac day, and Wed is my normal day off, so 4-day vac, right?

No.

-By Mon night, there is ~6in of snow on the ground. Kid may not have school tomorrow, but wife still has a dentist appt Tue morn at 9a and a Dr appt 15mi away at 10:30a and the plows have filled our driveway apron anywhere from knee- to waist-deep in places. Oh, and Tue is also trash day so gotta get the can to the curb.
-I've been playing Diablo 3 most of Monday (new season and all) so I head out the front door to start shoveling at about 10p. My gloves and hat are in the car, so I alternate between Diablo and shoveling my way to the car as my face and fingers freeze/thaw.
-I make it to the car by about 2a...yes, there was probably too much focus on Diablo, but this house used to also be a business, so we have (best estimate) about 1200ft^2/115m^2 of sidewalk/driveway/porch I have to mine through.
-Gloves/hat now acquired, I don't have to keep stopping to warm back up, and so I get to shoveling. 2-1/2hrs later, my back is complaining but I have my car broken free and half the three-car driveway cleared out, as well as the porch, both front door paths and one leg of the public sidewalk (we live on a corner with separate entrances/addresses for each street).
-It's now 5a so I take the car to tank up on gas (part of the reason I had to get done early, almost on E) and break for b'fast at McD's. They have signs saying they are out of coffee. NBD since I'm a tea person so I order OJ. Their OJ machine picks that moment to break.
-I get back home just after 6a and grab about a 90min nap. Then it's off to all the appointments AFTER clearing out where the morning plows have again pooped in our driveway while I was napping.
-We get back around 12p and Cranky (who has been watching our son for us) says he needs to go to the store(s). Rather than having him try to clear a foot of snow off the Jeep (he's 65) and drive all over the other half of the driveway I haven't shoveled yet, I offer to drive him.
-We get back from his trips at about 2:30p and I finally settle down to go to bed.
-Cranky discovers he has left his phone at the mall. We suit up and head to the mall (again) and get his phone. We come back home and I settle down to bed (again). It's now ~3:30p and I've been up almost 30hrs straight (if you discount the nap).

Here's a pic I snapped of the house (and Cranky) when we got back from retrieving his phone.
View attachment 28519
You can't even see the store across the street behind the blowing snow.

-8:30p I wake up, just in time for dinner. After dinner, I peek outside.
-It has snowed another 6in. The sidewalks and driveway have vanished again.
-I have to turn my car in tomorrow morning at 8a and leave it a week to get repaired from my accident a couple weeks ago, so looks like I'll be shoveling again tonight so I can get out of the driveway by morning.
-The piles on either side of the driveway are already above my head, so I'm probably going to have to hike each shovelful of snow a few yards down the street before I find a spot low enough to throw it.
-I would probably have bought a snowblower by now, but I've been holding off getting one because I knew I was going to have to pay this $500 insurance deductible tomorrow. Ha haa so thrifty I could just puke from all the savings and fitness I'm getting.

-It is supposed to snow another 6in during the day on Wed. I am not looking forward to Wed night. At all.

--Patrick
Snow. Blower.

I swear to God, if people don’t stop parking in my PAID PARKING SPOT, I’m going to riot.

I’m. So upset about this. I’m fucking paying for that spot and I don’t get to use it frequently enough that I’m pissed about it.

Sheneneksifje wh. Apartment living.

figmentPez

Staff member
At my apartment complex, parking where you aren't allowed gets your car towed. (Two of my friends forgot to park in visitor parking and were towed. They didn't even take an assigned space.)