Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Reactions
333 38 0
Got the flu, and it’s been a bitch. The frickin chills have been violent, but they’re finally starting to subside. Still, it feels like something crawled inside me and decided to spend the past 72 hours kicking my ass.

I sneezed last night, and doubled over because it felt like my shoulders tore right out of their sockets. That’s how sore it’s made me.

The doctor put me on Tamiflu, which has either started to work or didn’t work at all - I don’t really know. Missed two days of work, and it’s looking like I’m going to miss a third. The worst part is that I was out the day grades needed to be completed and submitted, so I had to do that from home while fighting off chills. Bleh.

Reactions
1,619 462 14
Discord people already heard, but for the rest...

On Sun it snowed hard enough here that not just school, but even my job was closed by Mon morn. I had Sun off work, Tue was a vac day, and Wed is my normal day off, so 4-day vac, right?

No.

-By Mon night, there is ~6in of snow on the ground. Kid may not have school tomorrow, but wife still has a dentist appt Tue morn at 9a and a Dr appt 15mi away at 10:30a and the plows have filled our driveway apron anywhere from knee- to waist-deep in places. Oh, and Tue is also trash day so gotta get the can to the curb.
-I've been playing Diablo 3 most of Monday (new season and all) so I head out the front door to start shoveling at about 10p. My gloves and hat are in the car, so I alternate between Diablo and shoveling my way to the car as my face and fingers freeze/thaw.
-I make it to the car by about 2a...yes, there was probably too much focus on Diablo, but this house used to also be a business, so we have (best estimate) about 1200ft^2/115m^2 of sidewalk/driveway/porch I have to mine through.
-Gloves/hat now acquired, I don't have to keep stopping to warm back up, and so I get to shoveling. 2-1/2hrs later, my back is complaining but I have my car broken free and half the three-car driveway cleared out, as well as the porch, both front door paths and one leg of the public sidewalk (we live on a corner with separate entrances/addresses for each street).
-It's now 5a so I take the car to tank up on gas (part of the reason I had to get done early, almost on E) and break for b'fast at McD's. They have signs saying they are out of coffee. NBD since I'm a tea person so I order OJ. Their OJ machine picks that moment to break.
-I get back home just after 6a and grab about a 90min nap. Then it's off to all the appointments AFTER clearing out where the morning plows have again pooped in our driveway while I was napping.
-We get back around 12p and Cranky (who has been watching our son for us) says he needs to go to the store(s). Rather than having him try to clear a foot of snow off the Jeep (he's 65) and drive all over the other half of the driveway I haven't shoveled yet, I offer to drive him.
-We get back from his trips at about 2:30p and I finally settle down to go to bed.
-Cranky discovers he has left his phone at the mall. We suit up and head to the mall (again) and get his phone. We come back home and I settle down to bed (again). It's now ~3:30p and I've been up almost 30hrs straight (if you discount the nap).

Here's a pic I snapped of the house (and Cranky) when we got back from retrieving his phone.
IMG_2919.jpg

You can't even see the store across the street behind the blowing snow.

-8:30p I wake up, just in time for dinner. After dinner, I peek outside.
-It has snowed another 6in. The sidewalks and driveway have vanished again.
-I have to turn my car in tomorrow morning at 8a and leave it a week to get repaired from my accident a couple weeks ago, so looks like I'll be shoveling again tonight so I can get out of the driveway by morning.
-The piles on either side of the driveway are already above my head, so I'm probably going to have to hike each shovelful of snow a few yards down the street before I find a spot low enough to throw it.
-I would probably have bought a snowblower by now, but I've been holding off getting one because I knew I was going to have to pay this $500 insurance deductible tomorrow. Ha haa so thrifty I could just puke from all the savings and fitness I'm getting.

-It is supposed to snow another 6in during the day on Wed. I am not looking forward to Wed night. At all.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Reactions
433 233 0
I’ve been walling around with a bright purple/red face on my business trip because I got some horrible wind burn switching planes in Toronto. Not even my crazy foundation can cover it.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,568 713 10
Discord people already heard, but for the rest...

On Sun it snowed hard enough here that not just school, but even my job was closed by Mon morn. I had Sun off work, Tue was a vac day, and Wed is my normal day off, so 4-day vac, right?

No.

-By Mon night, there is ~6in of snow on the ground. Kid may not have school tomorrow, but wife still has a dentist appt Tue morn at 9a and a Dr appt 15mi away at 10:30a and the plows have filled our driveway apron anywhere from knee- to waist-deep in places. Oh, and Tue is also trash day so gotta get the can to the curb.
-I've been playing Diablo 3 most of Monday (new season and all) so I head out the front door to start shoveling at about 10p. My gloves and hat are in the car, so I alternate between Diablo and shoveling my way to the car as my face and fingers freeze/thaw.
-I make it to the car by about 2a...yes, there was probably too much focus on Diablo, but this house used to also be a business, so we have (best estimate) about 1200ft^2/115m^2 of sidewalk/driveway/porch I have to mine through.
-Gloves/hat now acquired, I don't have to keep stopping to warm back up, and so I get to shoveling. 2-1/2hrs later, my back is complaining but I have my car broken free and half the three-car driveway cleared out, as well as the porch, both front door paths and one leg of the public sidewalk (we live on a corner with separate entrances/addresses for each street).
-It's now 5a so I take the car to tank up on gas (part of the reason I had to get done early, almost on E) and break for b'fast at McD's. They have signs saying they are out of coffee. NBD since I'm a tea person so I order OJ. Their OJ machine picks that moment to break.
-I get back home just after 6a and grab about a 90min nap. Then it's off to all the appointments AFTER clearing out where the morning plows have again pooped in our driveway while I was napping.
-We get back around 12p and Cranky (who has been watching our son for us) says he needs to go to the store(s). Rather than having him try to clear a foot of snow off the Jeep (he's 65) and drive all over the other half of the driveway I haven't shoveled yet, I offer to drive him.
-We get back from his trips at about 2:30p and I finally settle down to go to bed.
-Cranky discovers he has left his phone at the mall. We suit up and head to the mall (again) and get his phone. We come back home and I settle down to bed (again). It's now ~3:30p and I've been up almost 30hrs straight (if you discount the nap).

Here's a pic I snapped of the house (and Cranky) when we got back from retrieving his phone.
View attachment 28519
You can't even see the store across the street behind the blowing snow.

-8:30p I wake up, just in time for dinner. After dinner, I peek outside.
-It has snowed another 6in. The sidewalks and driveway have vanished again.
-I have to turn my car in tomorrow morning at 8a and leave it a week to get repaired from my accident a couple weeks ago, so looks like I'll be shoveling again tonight so I can get out of the driveway by morning.
-The piles on either side of the driveway are already above my head, so I'm probably going to have to hike each shovelful of snow a few yards down the street before I find a spot low enough to throw it.
-I would probably have bought a snowblower by now, but I've been holding off getting one because I knew I was going to have to pay this $500 insurance deductible tomorrow. Ha haa so thrifty I could just puke from all the savings and fitness I'm getting.

-It is supposed to snow another 6in during the day on Wed. I am not looking forward to Wed night. At all.

--Patrick
Snow. Blower.

Reactions
1,619 462 14
2-stage model I want to get will be ~$900. But it has heated handles!

--Patrick

Reactions
465 228 0
I swear to God, if people don’t stop parking in my PAID PARKING SPOT, I’m going to riot.

I’m. So upset about this. I’m fucking paying for that spot and I don’t get to use it frequently enough that I’m pissed about it.

Sheneneksifje wh. Apartment living.

figmentPez

Staff member
Reactions
1,612 225 3
At my apartment complex, parking where you aren't allowed gets your car towed. (Two of my friends forgot to park in visitor parking and were towed. They didn't even take an assigned space.)

Reactions
465 228 0
At my apartment complex, parking where you aren't allowed gets your car towed. (Two of my friends forgot to park in visitor parking and were towed. They didn't even take an assigned space.)
My place isn’t that nice. :/ There is a tow warning, but I’m not allowed to call - the leasing office has to do it and they close at 6, so my hands are tied.

I’m highly tempted to buy a boot and fuck them over with it.

Reactions
906 204 1
My place isn’t that nice. :/ There is a tow warning, but I’m not allowed to call - the leasing office has to do it and they close at 6, so my hands are tied.

Now is the time to leave a little note on their car, reminded them it is a reserved spot.

Make sure to use your key and big letters.

Reactions
901 176 1

Leave a picture of one of your villain cosplays so they know who they're dealing with. They'll back off.

Reactions
433 233 0
I’m furious. I should be home by now and my plane hasn’t even taken off. Air Canada hasn’t even given us a reason.

They have explained that the on board snack trolley won’t have enough food for everyone and said that people could leave and return with a meal. But... they had twenty minutes and then we might leave without them and they had to take all of their stuff. I have mobility issues and a super heavy laptop bag. I couldn’t risk that. My first flight was very late also so I had to rush to this one, and missed lunch.

I also planned to have breakfast at the first airport and there was nothing there to eat. The airport I was stupid late to because the hotel didn’t book my cab in advance when hey promised to.

Fun times lol.

Reactions
1,278 228 4
I really need to just stop buying sports bras that don't have clips or zippers. Trying to pull them over my head after exercising is TOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Reactions
465 228 0
Now is the time to leave a little note on their car, reminded them it is a reserved spot.

Make sure to use your key and big letters.
I left a note the day before!!! :((((

But your method sounds much better, I’ll let you know how it goes. Haha!

Leave a picture of one of your villain cosplays so they know who they're dealing with. They'll back off.
I mean, I get the joke but seeing as I watched the person who I’m pretty sure is in my spot, start a full on street brawl last week, I’ll keep my anonymity thanks. :/ It’s some punk ass kid, who I’m sure is stupid enough to be an ass about the spot.
Maybe if I’m hot enough I can get away with it though?? Shoo him away.

Reactions
182 52 0
It's been a week since the interview. I'm a finalist so I don't think Galveston would just leave me hanging. Its Workday site is still saying the application is under review so I should just sit tight.

But right now I feel like I went on a date with a girl, left a message, and am now waiting for her to call me back. It's just nerve-wracking.

Reactions
461 92 2
There are only two files in the folder. The drop down expense form you need is the one called "drop down expense form". The other file is called expense form.

How is this difficult?

Reactions
171 102 0
Was talking this morning at work to the mother of a young-adult daughter with a stage 3 or 4 brain tumour. Basically, they just found out yesterday that the daughter has maybe a few months... or maybe a few years to live. The mom is (understandably) devastated. They won't know for sure until the full biopsy comes back in 2-4 weeks.

And I have nothing of value to say, other than 'love each other' and 'take care of each other'. And even those ring hollow. There's nothing I can do, say, or offer that's going to help. No book to read, no prayer to hear, to hand to clasp that can do a damn bit of good.

I love what I do, but some days it really rather sucks.

Reactions
210 80 0
Was talking this morning at work to the mother of a young-adult daughter with a stage 3 or 4 brain tumour. Basically, they just found out yesterday that the daughter has maybe a few months... or maybe a few years to live. The mom is (understandably) devastated. They won't know for sure until the full biopsy comes back in 2-4 weeks.

And I have nothing of value to say, other than 'love each other' and 'take care of each other'. And even those ring hollow. There's nothing I can do, say, or offer that's going to help. No book to read, no prayer to hear, to hand to clasp that can do a damn bit of good.

I love what I do, but some days it really rather sucks.
there never is a good answer, everyone offering me advice when my dad had cancer and all i really wanted was to have people to hang out with. dads cancer was a black spot period, no one wanted anything to do with me as my whole life was a "downer" at that point. anyways sorry thats a thing you have to deal with.

Reactions
523 208 11
@Dirona - in the long run, the only thing that matters to people like that is that you were there and you listened to them and were there for them. That's all. And for someone who's been in that situation, it makes a world of difference.

Reactions
171 102 0
More work related whining!

I've been asked to do another book review for my denominational academic magazine. yay! I really enjoy doing these.
Usually.
But this book.
Oh my god, this book.
It's so bad guys.
Like so so SO bad.
It's only 170 pages long and it took me two days to read. It should have taken 4 hours, tops. I have to stop at the end of every chapter or two (every 15-30 pages) just to walk around and do something else to get my brain off the edge of a headache-cliff.

It's dense and meandering and has no point, no pragmatic purpose, no raison d'etre, no nothin'. It's word salad. Self-aggrandizing, 'look at me, I'm so smart and learned' word salad. And about as nutritious.

Almost everything referenced is over 20 years old.
And written by an able-bodied white dude.
Not that there's anything wrong with being or citing an able-bodied white dude... but it shouldn't be 95% of your bibliography. Not in this field. Not today. And there's plenty of good material in this field to cite that's, you know, written in this millennium.

It's so awful.

And so now I'm working on the review. And it's an academic thing, so I have to be at least nominally neutral-ish sounding on the surface. And it hurts.
I should get it done today and we'll see what the editor has to say on Monday.

Reactions
906 204 1
And so now I'm working on the review. And it's an academic thing, so I have to be at least nominally neutral-ish sounding on the surface.
I might not be fully understanding what goes into this kind of review, but isn't part of the review to be critical? I mean, you don't have to phrase it the way you explained above, but if it's unfocused, isn't mentioning that part of reviewing?