Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
"God's ways are beyond human reason, I'm sure He's got his reasons" is exactly the same to me.
To YOU. Not to a Texas grandmother. She might take comfort in invoking the almighty. I, personally, would never say it though because to me it sounds like "God wanted him to die."
Because you associate RNG with games. It's a perfectly fine logical term, though. That all just ties back to De Saussure if you really want to get philosophical.
It also falls under what I said about intellectual flaunting. Don't say things to the grief-stricken to make yourself sound smart and witty. Just say what you feel, simply as possible.

"it was gods plan..." so it was gods plan for my father to survive everything but die to a horrible cancer that took his life by filling his lungs with fluid until he drowned inside his own lungs?
"god needed another angel" why didnt god just make another angel then?
"it was for the best" yes his death is a boon, I mos def didnt want him around for anything, its really good that he is dead because now i dont have a choice in being a grown up who looks after all my loved ones, no longer immersed in the childish bliss that when i fuck up the old man will come and get me out of the bind.

this has nothing to do with what pat said, I have no issues with it, i never felt it was implied that RNG is a bitch should be convened to the grieving people. just him expressing that "life isnt fair" in regards to the untimely death.

GasBandit

Staff member
"it was gods plan..." so it was gods plan for my father to survive everything but die to a horrible cancer that took his life by filling his lungs with fluid until he drowned inside his own lungs?
"god needed another angel" why didnt god just make another angel then?
"it was for the best" yes his death is a boon, I mos def didnt want him around for anything, its really good that he is dead because now i dont have a choice in being a grown up who looks after all my loved ones, no longer immersed in the childish bliss that when i fuck up the old man will come and get me out of the bind.

this has nothing to do with what pat said, I have no issues with it, i never felt it was implied that RNG is a bitch should be convened to the grieving people. just him expressing that "life isnt fair" in regards to the untimely death.
This is a good example of how context is important.
When my 95-year-old great grandmother died after a long, drawn out illness in which her quality of life had dwindled away to life being a painful chore, it might have been said to have been that her finally passing was "for the best." Though, I still wouldn't have phrased it exactly that way, probably something more akin to "she's no longer in pain."

But all of those would have been cold comfort at best or infuriating at worst to hear when my mother committed suicide, or Pauline succumbed to cancer.

"Life isn't fair" also doesn't sound like a good idea to me, because it sounds too much like "this is just one tragedy upon myriad, and thus, your suffering is unremarkable, if not unimportant."

There's a subtle difference between "Life is cruel sometimes" and "Sometimes, life can be so very cruel." One has hints of marginalization, while the other sounds more like commiseration.

Last edited:
I don't know why people say such stupid shit when someone dies. I guess b/c it's uncomfortable. In reality, there is nothing to be said that will truly comfort loved ones. At least, there is nothing that would comfort me.

Dave

Staff member
Change of whining topic!

My daughter started working at Bellevue University with me and it's been great. Right now it's a work study (paid internship) but she interviewed yesterday for a position in the same department - because the managers asked her to. She also found out that she has been put into the wrong degree program. She wants to be a profiler/investigator and was taking criminal justice classes. She has been frustrated that the classes she's taking have been mostly about the CJ system, constitutional law, etc. She found out that the criminal justice degree is essentially pre-law and what she needed to be in was "Investigations". She she changed majors and is now set up to take the RIGHT classes.

She was informed today that since the current classes aren't related to her degree that she can't do work study. So she came into work today and was told to grab a box to put her stuff in. She can come back, but not until May when her actual degree classes start. So she's out of work for the next 4 months because of a technicality.

We're really hoping that she gets the full time position, but she has no experience other than the last month of work study so it's not probable.

Dave

Staff member
A friend of mine suffered a terrible loss once and I was honest. I told him that I had no idea what to say to him other than how sorry I was that it happened and asked if there was anything that he needed.
This is and always will be the best answer.

since everyone is intent on riding the subject of shit we say when people die to the ground and then some, my favorite absolutely favorite response to my father dying is and will always be, my friend Surene saying. "that must have been fucked up Bones, you wanna go catch a movie?" the worst and absolute worse thing that was said to me was some asshole who apparently taught me in grade school who never even got to telling me his condolences because he GOT PISSED AT ME AT MY FATHERS OWN WAKE THAT I DIDNT HAVE ANY RECOLLECTION OF HIM AND THUS HE HAD SUCH A MARGINAL EFFECT ON MY LIFE THAT HE LEFT THE PLACE FUMING.

Dave

Staff member
The minister at my grandmother's funeral pronounced her name incorrectly. Every time.

I thought that was really bad until my biological mother's husband died and the minister there did the EXACT SAME THING! The kicker there was he went to that church!

since everyone is intent on riding the subject of shit we say when people die to the ground and then some, my favorite absolutely favorite response to my father dying is and will always be, my friend Surene saying. "that must have been fucked up Bones, you wanna go catch a movie?" the worst and absolute worse thing that was said to me was some asshole who apparently taught me in grade school who never even got to telling me his condolences because he GOT PISSED AT ME AT MY FATHERS OWN WAKE THAT I DIDNT HAVE ANY RECOLLECTION OF HIM AND THUS HE HAD SUCH A MARGINAL EFFECT ON MY LIFE THAT HE LEFT THE PLACE FUMING.
I wonder if he stormed off to a movie.

The minister at my grandmother's funeral pronounced her name incorrectly. Every time.

I thought that was really bad until my biological mother's husband died and the minister there did the EXACT SAME THING! The kicker there was he went to that church!
when we were burying him, the marine chapalin that was giving his euolgy was just at the part about, "he was a man, he was a marine, he was a father, he was a true american her..." March of the gladiators started playing on somones phone, what is that song you might ask?

Ive never laughed so fucking hard in my life, the lady was mortified, my friend surene, who was standing behind me, slapped the back of my head because i was laughing so hard I was crying.

My aunt was buried just after Thanksgiving. She was the church lady that always had the pastor over for dinner at least once a week. And that fucker still called her Mrs. Foster. (The name is not Foster.) Then the associate pastor got up and called her Mrs. Foster. Then her son, the youth minister for the church, got up and started by saying how sorry we was for Mrs. Foster's passing.

I know darn well that I don't know all my congregants names. I just don't. I'm getting there, but I'm not there yet.

That said, I always, always, double-check names for funerals and baptisms (for pronunciation and name they went/go by vs. given name). Those are the few times when it actually matters that I get a name absolutely right.
I don't think I've fucked it up yet. I certainly hope not.

But the first two guys have seen at service and eaten at her house once a week for 10 and 20 years. They likely ate her cooking more than her son.
Oh, ya, no, that's not at all OK what happened. Definitely not excusing it. The AP probably just followed the lead pastor's, well, lead, but that's my only guess. Same for the son/youth pastor... I guess?? Though that's just weird.

And in some cases, I may see you at service, even regularly, but that does not mean that I know your name. Serve on a committee, then probably. But regular attendance... meh, very hit or miss. Irregular attendance... not so much.

Over Christmas (Dec. 30) one of my homebound folks who I visit regularly came in with their kids and grandchild. Because they were out-of-context, I had to ask one of my board members (discretely) who it was. Oy vey. Very embarrassing. But at least it meant I could greet them by name.

My school has been hit hard with a stomach virus and I just came down with it. I haven't missed a class all year, even when I had a cold, but this bug is a doozy. I'm just glad the other teachers have been covering for me while I recuperate. I'll need to buy them doughnuts or something.

This is the kind of puking where it goes up your nostrils. Half-digested pumpernickel BURNS.

We have Teh Sick going around MPS right now. It's doubly hard on special needs students. I'm doing full-on disinfectant spraydown of the seats on my bus pretty much after every run.

The snowstorm has given us the first invader to our new home!

I saw him exiting, funny enough. Then I set up the live trap and stuffed a towel under the front door. I'm hoping he'll be more attracted to other condos that have pets and thus food lying around. Better he doesn't come back here, because A. I don't want him and B. if I catch him in the live trap, what am I going to do? Tossing him out in the snow is as good as killing him anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
The snowstorm has given us the first invader to our new home!

I saw him exiting, funny enough. Then I set up the live trap and stuffed a towel under the front door. I'm hoping he'll be more attracted to other condos that have pets and thus food lying around. Better he doesn't come back here, because A. I don't want him and B. if I catch him in the live trap, what am I going to do? Tossing him out in the snow is as good as killing him anyway.
What is he? A cat? A rat? A raccoon? A jibbering hobo?

I fell asleep watching TV last night in the living room. Then I woke up and could smell nothing but dog. I was on my knees with my face buried in Ralph's hip. And I said to myself, how did I get here?

Then I remembered, standing up, the dog was in my way. I told him to move, but started coughing instead... then my vision went all jagged around the edges. Then I woke up.