Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Reactions
456 223 0
<sigh> My co-worker isn't working out, so I'm having to check everything she does and do any work she isn't completing on time, as well as doing my own work.
Sis, it must be going around. One of my coworkers is out sick for the next 2 weeks. I had to take over one of her programs during that time (because I'm the only one in the office who has worked on it before). Holy shit! I spent of my time, except one hour that I was in a meeting, cleaning up her mess. I did not one thing on my own programs. It was unbelievable.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,391 641 7
This morning I woke up & looked at the clock. The first number was 6 - okay, that's right. The last number was 0 - still good. The second number is 4...uh oh. That's 4 too many.

The one GOOD thing is that my day starts so much earlier than everyone else's that my being here almost an hour late goes almost unnoticed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,873 900 15
My parents passed through town last night and we went to dinner. My dad got me a pack of beef jerky from Buc-ee's on his way up from Houston (I love Buc-ee's jerky), and it was a flavor I'd never heard of before, "Bohemian Garlic."

Well, I tried it after they left... and a half hour later, I noticed my hands and head were getting really itchy, like, worse than any poison ivy I've ever had. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands, thinking I'd touched something that was causing the reaction, and noticed my chest was really starting to hurt, and I was wheezing like I was 430 pounds again. I googled the symptoms and came up with Multiple Sclerosis (which I doubted) or Anaphylaxis (which I hoped I was wrong about). I spent the next few hours just sitting, concentrating on breathing, and debating whether or not to go to the emergency room. Eventually around 2 am my symptoms abated enough for me to go to sleep.

So, I'm thinking there's something in this particular flavor of jerky that I'm allergic to. To be sure, I was thinking of trying to eat a little more at work today, where there would be other people to call an ambulance if I collapsed and turned blue or something, but I talked to my Dad about it this morning, and he said that if I WAS allergic to something in it, a second intense exposure in such a short amount of time could be even worse, potentially fatal. And he IS a doctor and everything, so I guess I better listen to him. I gave away the jerky at work. I'll be scheduling a stick test with a local allergist to try and see if I can figure out what I need to avoid eating in the future.

Reactions
378 49 0
That sounds exactly like what happened when I mixed antibiotics and whiskey (I... wasn't aware you shouldn't do that...) and that turned out to be an allergic reaction that liquid benadryl cleared up quickly.

Good luck with the allergist.

Reactions
498 197 10
Ingredients: BEEF, WATER. SALT, GARLIC POWDER,MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SPICES, SUGAR, SOY SAUCE POWDER (WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN), YELLOW MUSTARD SEED, SODIUM NITRATE, SOYBEAN OIL.

I suspect it's one of the spices, either that or yellow mustard seed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,873 900 15
Ingredients: BEEF, WATER. SALT, GARLIC POWDER,MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SPICES, SUGAR, SOY SAUCE POWDER (WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN), YELLOW MUSTARD SEED, SODIUM NITRATE, SOYBEAN OIL.

I suspect it's one of the spices, either that or yellow mustard seed.
Yeah, that's all stuff I've eaten tons of times before. The only thing on the ingredients list that was a question mark was "Natural flavorings," which given that the flavor was "Bohemian Garlic" and garlic wasn't listed explicitly... So who knows what else falls under that heading.

Reactions
378 49 0
Reminds me of an early episode of Outlander, where kids would go the "Black Kirk", a supposedly haunted ruined old monastery. Jamie mentioned that sometimes kids would find berries or "wood garlic" to eat. Claire examines the "wood garlic", and finds that it's not wood garlic, it's Lily of the Valley, which is poisonous. (It's what someone used to poison a kid in Breaking Bad).

So maybe Bohemian Garlic is actually Lily of the Valley, is what I'm saying.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,873 900 15
You know, thinking about it, I offered a small piece to the cat, as well, and for the first time ever, he refused a piece of beef jerky.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,873 900 15
A lady I used to work with - one of my favorite coworkers ever - just had her 19 month old grandson die. I've never had a child, let alone a grandchild, but the anguish is palpable and I feel so awful for them. Poor kid had a cough, they took him to the doctor, doc said he had Croup and gave him steroids, next morning they go in to wake him up and he was already gone. The thought of the mother trying in vain to resuscitate him while the ambulance was on its way just tears me right in half.

Reactions
1,498 409 14
Please let her know that random people on the Internet, even ones who don't have any grandchildren yet, are sorry for her loss. RNG can be harsh.

--Patrick

Reactions
1,498 409 14
I didn't say to quote me exactly, and I certainly didn't expect you to quote the RNG part (which she probably wouldn't understand anyway).
I assumed you'd translate that part appropriately, like "God works in mysterious ways" or "sometimes even when we do everything right, it's not enough" or the like.
Tailor it accordingly. Or don't say anything at all, if that's what you'd prefer. I feel bad for her and her tragedy, ok? Whether I'm expressing my condolences in some prescribed traditional manner or not isn't the point. Maybe the "how" would matter more if I knew her or was her coworker or something, but I don't and she isn't.

So please either carry my condolences to her in whatever form you feel appropriate, or else don't.

--Patrick

Reactions
1,131 207 4
This is probably one of those times however, when you should express condolences with a little more tact, regardless of if you expect to be quoted directly or not.

Reactions
1,498 409 14
I'm not arguing that your complaint is without merit. Independent of tragic grandma-ness, I'm reeeally getting tired of it lately when people (Online, IRL, wherever) tell me, "You're doing it wrong/You should do better next time" but then giving me absolutely squat to go on. No advice, no resources, not even an explanation of what it was I did wrong. Just a vague, "You should have known better/should be able to figure it out on your own/should be obvious."

Well it isn't.

So I guess that's my 500% more drama rant today.

--Patrick

Reactions
1,131 207 4
I'm not arguing that your complaint is without merit. Independent of tragic grandma-ness, I'm reeeally getting tired of it lately when people (Online, IRL, wherever) tell me, "You're doing it wrong/You should do better next time" but then giving me absolutely squat to go on. No advice, no resources, not even an explanation of what it was I did wrong. Just a vague, "You should have known better/should be able to figure it out on your own/should be obvious."

Well it isn't.

--Patrick
That's because for most people, it's a thing that comes naturally, so it's like trying to explain how to breathe. I am so socially awkward penguin, and have been so trained to not say the wrong thing, that a lot of the time I sit around in awkward silence when confronted in a physical social interaction. I don't know how quickly you made the RNG comment, but that's one of those things that you should have maybe read back to yourself a few times while reading the initial post to imagine how you would feel if it were said to you in a moment of grief.

Reactions
195 76 0

Well it isn't.

--Patrick
im sorry you are getting that pat, we all get what you are saying, and I dont take them to hard, other people on here have done similar things to me. its a known fact you have your own way of saying things, and I dont even bat an eye when you say something off key as you are not a malicious person.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,873 900 15

Well it isn't.

--Patrick
I'd say, when people are grieving, it's best not to try to translate it or explain it or couch it in other terms (especially not video game terms - that comes to close to making it sound like trying to turn it into a joke). Best instead to state sympathy as plainly as possible, as I did in this situation:

"That's absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry this has happened."

No dressing it up, no defense mechanisms, no references to be taken as virtue signalling or intellect flaunting... just an expression of shared pain.

Reactions
195 76 0
That's because for most people, it's a thing that comes naturally, so it's like trying to explain how to breathe. I am so socially awkward penguin, and have been so trained to not say the wrong thing, that a lot of the time I sit around in awkward silence when confronted in a physical social interaction. I don't know how quickly you made the RNG comment, but that's one of those things that you should have maybe read back to yourself a few times while reading the initial post to imagine how you would feel if it were said to you in a moment of grief.
I dont think "RNG can be harsh." was meant to be contained in his condolences, more as a post-thought on the matter.

Reactions
424 204 0
As someone who has had some condolences passed along to them, trust me, it’s very easy to tell who truly means well. Even if they make a video game reference.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,873 900 15
I honestly don't know what that's from (or if I do, I don't recognize it).

--Patrick
It's from Daredevil Season 3. Minor spoilers:
The person depicted is their interpretation of Bullseye, and the season sort of is a "Bullseye origin story." It depicts him as a clinically diagnosed psychopath with BPD and OCD, incapable of any empathy toward anyone at all. "I'm sorry, that must've been really hard" is the stock phrase his therapist had him practice as a way to fake commiseration.

In seriousness though, while some of the edgier people in the population (teenagers, Youtubers) look down on canned responses of sympathy, they're not a bad thing because 9 times out of 10, people don't know what to say. It's one reason so many of us dive for the Hugs rating. So saying "that sounds hard" or "I'm sorry" or even "that sucks" are probably better than making a joke, finding some logical avenue through human emotion, or making an effort to solve the problem.

I don't know if that will help, @PatrThom, but maybe it's a first step.

Reactions
461 211 5
To be fair, though:
A) RNG isn't (just) a video game term
B) to me, "RNG can be harsh" carries the exact same emotional value and content as "God's ways are inscrutable". They both just state "you can do everything right and still get horrible bad shit happen to you"

That said, I do think that unless I was tired or let my guard down, I'd've realized that wording would've been considered impolite by most and chosen a more socially acceptable cliché variety.

Reactions
746 327 24
to me, "RNG can be harsh" carries the exact same emotional value and content as "God's ways are inscrutable". They both just state "you can do everything right and still get horrible bad shit happen to you"
Except the latter is meant to be a source of comfort, that there's a bigger meaning to the tragedy (whether or not you believe that to be true is another thing entirely). Saying RNG can be cruel is saying "yeah life sucks" without an aknowledgment of the pain the person is going through. Not to mention it sounds incredibly flippant since you're making something of a joke out of the situation.