Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I hate résumésssssssssssssss.

I feel so inexperienced? And I’m uncomfortable that my work history is rather short. I’ve also realized that most jobs I’ve gotten have been because of who I know. It makes me feel like I have nothing to offer.

Ya’ll if you could cross your fingers real hard for me, I’d appreciate it. I’m applying for a job that I genuinely want and I’m nervous.

I hate résumésssssssssssssss.

I feel so inexperienced? And I’m uncomfortable that my work history is rather short. I’ve also realized that most jobs I’ve gotten have been because of who I know. It makes me feel like I have nothing to offer.

Ya’ll if you could cross your fingers real hard for me, I’d appreciate it. I’m applying for a job that I genuinely want and I’m nervous.
I once disguised my voice to act as my own reference.

I'm not saying you should lie, but I'm not saying you shouldn't, either.

You should list random Halforumites as references. I can pretend to be Michael van der Graff, former associate editor at the now-defunct food/literature blog Dine Em Dash.

I'll be Professor Wallace Wong, from the Pingrong Institute of Science and Technology, where you worked for eighteen months as an associate researcher. You're credited as a sub-investigator in two papers, and the principal investigator in two others. Your study on the applications of molecular lithium hydroxide on treating dislocated phalanges is considered groundbreaking in the field of phalanges dislocation.

What's cooler than being cool?

Having a fever, taking Nyquil, then still waking up at 4 AM and unable to go back to sleep.

The internet is so empty in the wee hours of the morning. I would love to sleep right now.

You should list random Halforumites as references. I can pretend to be Michael van der Graff, former associate editor at the now-defunct food/literature blog Dine Em Dash.
I'll be Professor Wallace Wong, from the Pingrong Institute of Science and Technology, where you worked for eighteen months as an associate researcher. You're credited as a sub-investigator in two papers, and the principal investigator in two others. Your study on the applications of molecular lithium hydroxide on treating dislocated phalanges is considered groundbreaking in the field of phalanges dislocation.
Hahah, you guys are the best! :rofl:

I am happy at the position that I have. But there is a chance to further my career. A $6k a year raise. But it is a hostile work environment. So is $500 a month worth fighting with a boss?

Yeah... depending on just how hostile, I'd seriously doubt it's worth it. 500/month gross is, what, $300 net in the US? I don't want to be bullied or yelled at every day for $1.5/hour, thank you very much.

I am happy at the position that I have. But there is a chance to further my career. A $6k a year raise. But it is a hostile work environment. So is $500 a month worth fighting with a boss?
No. I worked with a soul-less, shrieking, hell-bitch a few years ago and I hated every minute of it. So not worth it for $500 a month before taxes.

Unless there are other reasons to switch....but for the $500 alone? I’d never go back to that old boss. We had an email announcement that she was starting in our group back then and the only one of us who had ever worked with her before put in for stress leave two days later. Says it all, really.

Power steering went out this morning. Muscling the car into the shop was a real upper body workout.
Bad tire, brakes, and oil leak adds up to nearly $700 worth of work, The bright side (if there is one) is only the tires and brakes can be done before next payday and I barely have enough to get that done.

I’m not getting paid this month because my boss who “works from home” didn’t bother to enter any of my time. She made a point of asking me to send it to her at the end of every day I worked, but then I guess that she did nothing with it.

Maybe she will get off her ass and enter it next month.

Maybe.

I’m not getting paid this month because my boss who “works from home” didn’t bother to enter any of my time. She made a point of asking me to send it to her at the end of every day I worked, but then I guess that she did nothing with it.

Maybe she will get off her ass and enter it next month.

Maybe.
Is that legal? That sounds highly illegal, although I don't know the contractual pay agreement you have.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aaaand then when they went to fix the car, it didn't start for them. Aaannd I've got an A/C leak (which I kinda knew about but decided what the heck, fix that too). Aaaaaand all told, what I thought would be a $20 belt replacement is working out to be $450 in repairs. Not as harsh as DarkAudit's, but still a little bit of a kick in the shin.

If I wasn't a regular at this shop, where I've known the owner and the mechanics for 15 years, I'd have started to think some fucknuttery was afoot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and now it gets better. They get in there and find it's not actually just the belt... the entire tensioner is shot. And because the pulley is mounted on an assembly that requires you to remove the ENGINE MOUNT to get it off, that just threw on another couple hours of labor as well... total's up to $850 now...
Not as harsh as DarkAudit's, but still a little bit of a kick in the shin.
I need to stop opening my big yap.

GasBandit

Staff member
SO glad I passed up my chance to own a Neon. The test drive literally frightened me.

—Patrick
To be fair, this is the first repair I've had to get done on it that ended up being over $600, and repairs have been few and far between. It's been a lot less of a hassle than any of my previous vehicles, except maybe the year I owned an 84 GMC Sierra... but that thing got 9mpg.

My husband bought a Neon new in 1997 and drove that thing into the ground for 11 years before he gave it up (It might even be longer, I have no concept of time anymore). He might have kept it longer, but he bought it with no bells and whistles at all as a starter car, and he wanted an upgrade.

GasBandit

Staff member
To be even more fair, the one I test drove already had over 100k miles on it. The front end actually shook when I took it above 45. NOPE.

—Patrick
Gah... mine just recently got over the 100k mark (106k, to be exact). Might be time to start looking for a replacement :/

Gah... mine just recently got over the 100k mark (106k, to be exact). Might be time to start looking for a replacement :/
My current vehicle has 227k. Regular maintenance is key. Find you a vehicle with good maintenance records, otherwise there’s a good chance you are just buying a ticking time bomb that will destroy your wallet when it goes.

—Patrick

Is that legal? That sounds highly illegal, although I don't know the contractual pay agreement you have.
It’s probably not. Our pay system is completely screwed up. My retro was due last April and I haven’t gotten it. I don’t mean a few months ago. I mean a year and a few months ago. I keep calling and they keep saying that they’re overwhelmed.

As far as regular pay, some people are going months or longer without being paid.
Post automatically merged:

I’m furious and I’m trying my best not to flip my shit at my new boss because she won’t be able to handle it.

We put 71k original miles on a new 2k1 Neon (second generation). Only major problem was that one time I hit a deer on my way home from work.