Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Green_Lantern

Staff member
I am a family trip.

Which means I have to spend time with my family.

Which also means to realize how a "nice" and "adjusted" household can screw up someone badly.

Now read the following words carefully, and avoid making an opinion until the end.

Today I started to question the possibility of loving my mother. Because I am not entirely sure there is a personality there to be loved.

My mom... I feel that the only real personality trait she really has is the need to keep up appereances, to fit in, be accepted and (I know how that it is) to be loved.

This doesn't means she always smiles and pleasantries, but it does means that to her, everything seem to be around the others... I don't think she has the moral integrity for anything, unless it revolves being accepted. If society and norms are to magically change, my mom would be anything. She could accept me as her gay son, or she could send me to a concentration camp to be murdered. Given the correct social motivation she could do anything from donate a kidney to cold blooded murder, to give a helpful hand to kick someone while they are down.

She is like a mirror: reflective and devoid of depth. I can't even say that she can be hated too. I mean, you can't really hate a mirror, you might hate what you see there, but not the mirror itself, not when the only constant is the continuous change.

I am a family trip.

Which means I have to spend time with my family.

Which also means to realize how a "nice" and "adjusted" household can screw up someone badly.

Now read the following words carefully, and avoid making an opinion until the end.

Today I started to question the possibility of loving my mother. Because I am not entirely sure there is a personality there to be loved.

My mom... I feel that the only real personality trait she really has is the need to keep up appereances, to fit in, be accepted and (I know how that it is) to be loved.

This doesn't means she always smiles and pleasantries, but it does means that to her, everything seem to be around the others... I don't think she has the moral integrity for anything, unless it revolves being accepted. If society and norms are to magically change, my mom would be anything. She could accept me as her gay son, or she could send me to a concentration camp to be murdered. Given the correct social motivation she could do anything from donate a kidney to cold blooded murder, to give a helpful hand to kick someone while they are down.

She is like a mirror: reflective and devoid of depth. I can't even say that she can be hated too. I mean, you can't really hate a mirror, you might hate what you see there, but not the mirror itself, not when the only constant is the continuous change.

To me, that doesn't sound like someone to be hated, but to be pitied. I'm sorry you have to deal with that, man. It sounds tough. I have a good relationship with my mother, my best friend does not. He was kicked out of the house when he turned 18 because he was gay, and he hasn't spoken to her since.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have a good relationship with my mother, my best friend does not. He was kicked out of the house when he turned 18 because he was gay, and he hasn't spoken to her since.
Why did your mother kick your friend out of his house? How is that eve... ohhh wait. Never mind.

I had perfect teeth. Seriously - every dentist i've ever been to has remarked how perfect they are, completely void of any cavities, spots, irregularities, or whatever. A couple of years ago, I switched dentists (after moving) to a complete hack, who decided the enamel on one of my teeth was "a bit thin", so he proceeded to drill a hole and fill it up, to prevent it from becoming a cavity. Um, yeah, don't ask me. Anyway.
Now, that filling broke off about....two months ago. Underneath, the tooth'd become grey and black - not a good sign.
Anyway, I had already switched dentists to another one after that guy, who confirmed that it was a completely useless procedure. I've been trying to make an appointment since, and have finally managed to find a date I'm available and he had an opening - in three weeks *sigh.

Thing is, in the beginning, it didn't really hurt. I figured the filling came off but otherwise the tooth was fine, if more sensitive than normal. By now, two months down the road, the pain fro mthe tooth sort of lances to behind my eye and down my neck, and is getting noticeably worse every day. On the bright side, it's still less painful than my chronic headaches, on the other hand...Well, two forms of chronic pain around my head isn't all that fun, and I expect this one to overtake the other one if it continues like this. Oh, and since it's a wisdom tooth, it'll probably get pulled, which I'm not particularly looking forward to.

I had to have one of my wisdom teeth pulled after an accident where it was cracked and then became infected.

I probably lucked out by having wisdom teeth that weren't crowded, but it was a totally painless procedure. I never felt any pain during the extraction, though the sound of the tooth being pulled out of your head is really, really unnerving. It's like a loud crack... you instinctively feel that this sound is very bad.

I was eating without any problems the very next day. It never hurt, my bottle of percocet went completely unused.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had to have one of my wisdom teeth pulled after an accident where it was cracked and then became infected.

I probably lucked out by having wisdom teeth that weren't crowded, but it was a totally painless procedure. I never felt any pain during the extraction, though the sound of the tooth being pulled out of your head is really, really unnerving. It's like a loud crack... you instinctively feel that this sound is very bad.

I was eating without any problems the very next day. It never hurt, my bottle of percocet went completely unused.
I keep my wisdom teeth in a little paper envelope labeled "(My Real Name)'s Teeth" in a desk drawer. Sometimes I take them out and roll them like dice. Sometimes I think about how I also had to have my 4 first bicuspids removed back when I was getting braces, and I wish I'd kept them so I'd have 8 teeth and could practically make a necklace.

I keep my wisdom teeth in a little paper envelope labeled "(My Real Name)'s Teeth" in a desk drawer. Sometimes I take them out and roll them like dice. Sometimes I think about how I also had to have my 4 first bicuspids removed back when I was getting braces, and I wish I'd kept them so I'd have 8 teeth and could practically make a necklace.
what

GasBandit

Staff member
Just think how awesome it would be to have all these teeth on a necklace. And people ask "Are those... teeth?" and you say "yep, grew em myself" and you smile and they can't figure out how you still can smile because clearly 8 teeth (which is a HUGE amount of teeth) should leave you a toothless gummy horror but there are all your incisors and canines in that smile and they can't see that you're missing your first bicuspids or your wisdom teeth and their mind is blown and blood leaks out their nose.

Sucks though that poe can't do that because his tooth broke. Most of mine were perfectly intact when they came out, except I lost a quarter of the crown of one wisdom tooth.

I mean, I assume.

Well, yeah, I thought that was implied.

I was very upset that the dentist didn't let me keep the tooth. She'd already disposed of it when I asked. It's like... cmon lady, that's mine! It came out of me!

GasBandit

Staff member
"Look, all I'm saying is that the dude keeps human teeth in his desk drawer, and uses them, like a witch might use scattered bones. I don't think we can base our fiscal policy on anything he comes up with."
Hey now, I don't cast auguries or anything. I just like to hear teeth rattle on the desk. I like the feel of teeth in my hands.

Just think how awesome it would be to have all these teeth on a necklace. And people ask "Are those... teeth?" and you say "yep, grew em myself" and you smile and they can't figure out how you still can smile because clearly 8 teeth (which is a HUGE amount of teeth) should leave you a toothless gummy horror but there are all your incisors and canines in that smile and they can't see that you're missing your first bicuspids or your wisdom teeth and their mind is blown and blood leaks out their nose.

Sucks though that poe can't do that because his tooth broke. Most of mine were perfectly intact when they came out, except I lost a quarter of the crown of one wisdom tooth.
I was very upset that the dentist didn't let me keep the tooth. She'd already disposed of it when I asked. It's like... cmon lady, that's mine! It came out of me!
Well.

Okay.

That's...

Well, alright then.

GasBandit

Staff member
Said in a menacing voice, half to himself, during the yearly review and raise meeting...
Can.. can I have your teeth? I mean, the ones you collect as they fall out of your children, while impersonating the tooth fairy.

CAN I HAVE YOUR CHILDREN'S TEETH

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I made sure to tell them ahead of time when I was having my wisdom teeth out that I wanted to keep them so to please not throw them out.

Sometimes I think about how I also had to have my 4 first bicuspids removed back when I was getting braces, and I wish I'd kept them so I'd have 8 teeth and could practically make a necklace.
You could make some nice drop earrings with the wisdom teeth.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would actually be more comfortable if you were doing it to cast auguries. I am more unsettled that you enjoy the sound and feeling of teeth.
Hey, don't knock it until you try it. There's something very satisfying, solid, and... oh I don't know, genuine about the feel of real, honest to god enamel items rolling around in your hand, like dice, only you can tell the difference because dice are plastic and fake and it's not the same. I really don't know how else to describe the sensation, it's like, better than those balls you grind together to release stress.

Hey now, I don't cast auguries or anything. I just like to hear teeth rattle on the desk. I like the feel of teeth in my hands.
For a while, I wanted to have my 4 wisdom teeth made into a set of ward cubes, but was at a loss as to what (part of myself that I could do without) I could use for the black ones. I thought perhaps cubes filled with old blood would be black enough, but it just didn't seem 'solid' enough.

--Patrick

Why I can't use visual studio or sql server management studio when I'm compiling an old program in vb6!
Because in the intervening time, MS has actually decided "hey, standards are useful!" and so many of the things you did back in the day are now (rightly) incompatible. For example, this:

Code:
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char** argv)

{

cout << "Hello world!" << endl;

return 0;

}

That won't work. It would have (but shouldn't have) in VC++6. You need this line between "include" and "main":
Code:
using namespace std;
Stuff like that.

That's not what I meant. Physically it's not possible for me to use sql management studio 2008 while visual studio 6 is compiling. The program just blocks itself.

This one day, when my Dad was a young man, he went into the toughest bar in the county. He told the bartender, "You guys sure have some pretty white gravel in the parking lot."

The bartender said, "Oh, that's not gravel, those are teeth."