Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I'm using firefox with Ublock Origin. I started getting the banner message, but I've just been dismissing it and watching videos as usual. Next time I'm on youtube, I'll block the banner message, too ;)

Dave

Staff member
I have Chrome and:
  1. uBlock Origin
  2. DuckDuckGo
  3. PrivacyBadger
  4. Ghostery
  5. AdBlock Plus
I see no ads anywhere.

Oh wait, I just remembered something I used to use that probably counts as an ad blocker: I installed what was likely the Internet's first ever popup blocker. I think it was called Popup Stopper or something like that. I learned about it on Fark. I recall it would play a loud buzzer sound effect whenever it blocked a popup. The sound effect could be turned off, as best I can recall, but I kept it on because there was a perverse sense of satisfaction of knowing I'd prevented a popup from appearing.

And then browsers introduced their own integrated popup blockers, so that was the end of that.

Man, I just got a sudden nostalgia hit for that buzzer sound.

I keep hearing about it, but all the obsufication im running completely fucks all that kind of stuff, I can only hope it is still working that way.

I got Firefox and AdBlock Plus on my desktop and I've never seen a YouTube ad or any kind of message about whitelisting them or else...

This is either very good or very bad.
The new CEO is visiting so everyone decided to come in.
We're completely remote, but have an office presence still. I like coming to the office, but I’m one of the few that does on a regular basis. All these people have killed my nice quiet office vibe. Today there will be no pooping in peace.

The new CEO is visiting so everyone decided to come in.
We're completely remote, but have an office presence still. I like coming to the office, but I’m one of the few that does on a regular basis. All these people have killed my nice quiet office vibe. Today there will be no pooping in peace.
We moved offices in August and our CEO visited in Sept. During covid I moved to fully remote and they asked me to come in for his visit to fill some seats etc. While I wasn't opposed, I did point out it would cost them upwards of 2k for me to come in with ferries and hotels during that time and the request was rescinded.

Imgur's take on the youtube adblock issue -

I subscribe to youtube music, which means I also get youtube premium, so I never see any of these popups and didn't even know they had started happening. But it's so egregious I'm considering switching to a different music service and just installing ublock origin.

I hate shopping at the local Walmarts. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT. I always feel like I'm in a public restroom whenever I set foot in them. I'm not saying all Walmarts are bad. The Honolulu location I visited was actually quite nice. I'm saying THESE Walmarts are awful. The intererios exude a vaguely putrid odor that I've often encountered in Third World countries. A lot of the items are damaged like they fell off A truck. The produce is wilted or has had a bite taken out of it (seriously). It is littered with unkempt, crying children. I feel like Jacob Riis needs to enter and take a photo (highbrow joke). It seems like the people working there are either high school kids, pensioners, or malnourished immigrants who can't speak a word of English. Whenever I need help locating something all I get is a shrug or "no esta mi department." They endure working there because they have no other choice or they don't know any better, and they leave once they find a better offer.

The wife's family loves any Walmart because they are originally from a food desert where the only other option is Dollar General, which is even worse. I buy the majority of groceries, so I visit the nicer grocery stores or even the higher end specialty shops like Williams-Sonoma. But whenever I shop with the wife she tries to steer me towards Walmart because she associates it with good memories. I know quite a few folks from the small town South and they share a similar sentiment. Walmart was the only place that sold meat aside from Vienna sausages in a can. It allowed rural Southerners and Midwesterners to live at a middle-class standard. I get that, but I still feel the urge to wear a pomander whenever I go to the neighborhood locations.

I hate shopping at the local Walmarts. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT. I always feel like I'm in a public restroom whenever I set foot in them. I'm not saying all Walmarts are bad. The Honolulu location I visited was actually quite nice. I'm saying THESE Walmarts are awful. The intererios exude a vaguely putrid odor that I've often encountered in Third World countries. A lot of the items are damaged like they fell off A truck. The produce is wilted or has had a bite taken out of it (seriously). It is littered with unkempt, crying children. I feel like Jacob Riis needs to enter and take a photo (highbrow joke). It seems like the people working there are either high school kids, pensioners, or malnourished immigrants who can't speak a word of English. Whenever I need help locating something all I get is a shrug or "no esta mi department." They endure working there because they have no other choice or they don't know any better, and they leave once they find a better offer.

The wife's family loves any Walmart because they are originally from a food desert where the only other option is Dollar General, which is even worse. I buy the majority of groceries, so I visit the nicer grocery stores or even the higher end specialty shops like Williams-Sonoma. But whenever I shop with the wife she tries to steer me towards Walmart because she associates it with good memories. I know quite a few folks from the small town South and they share a similar sentiment. Walmart was the only place that sold meat aside from Vienna sausages in a can. It allowed rural Southerners and Midwesterners to live at a middle-class standard. I get that, but I still feel the urge to wear a pomander whenever I go to the neighborhood locations.
As someone who actually runs a grocery store in the South, about 80% of our customer base choose us because we are not Walmart

I'm glad to hear that. Whenever I'm visiting the wife's folks in Florida I prefer to go to Publix. And that's when I hear "you should have gone to Walmart!"

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm glad to hear that. Whenever I'm visiting the wife's folks in Florida I prefer to go to Publix. And that's when I hear "you should have gone to Walmart!"
Remind your wife that if she doesn't get groceries at HEB or Kroger, it is only a matter of time until the Rangers show up to revoke her Texas citizenship and exile her to Aldi.

I'm very uneasy about the Kroger merger with Alberstons/Safeway. I feel like Kroger/Walmart will be the only options soon.
We have Publix, Food Lion, Costco, Walmart, Aldi, Harris Teeter (real name), and Lidl all within 5 miles from where I live. A little further I can get whole foods, trader joes, Kroger, h mart, sprouts, and Wegmans. You just need to move to the East Coast! UNC ivory towers are pretty nice!

We have Publix, Food Lion, Costco, Walmart, Aldi, Harris Teeter (real name), and Lidl all within 5 miles from where I live. A little further I can get whole foods, trader joes, Kroger, h mart, sprouts, and Wegmans. You just need to move to the East Coast! UNC ivory towers are pretty nice!
Think I can land a job that will just give me tenure right off the bat? Honestly, I do look every once in a while. I doubt I'll ever leave here unless the university completely folds.

As for groceries, we have Costco within 10 miles, which I am grateful for, and a couple of independent stores in the area that are hit or miss for items and prices and we almost never use (especially if we do a pick-up order). Albertsons, Safeway, and Fred Meyer will all be Kroger if the deal goes through and I've been increasingly concerned about monopolies mucking things up. So, boo to the merger!

Try a Winn-Dixie!
Winn-Dixie is all right too. We have one HEB in my neighborhood but it's fairly limited. My commute takes me past two much nicer HEBs, two Buc-ee's, Costco, Kroger, Walmart, South Asian and African grocers, and any number of Latin American bodegas. The wife doesn't complain when I come back from work with a box of Buc-ee's cookie dough.

Not just east coast. Here in my tiny town we have Aldi, Brookshire's, Target, Super 1, Drug Emporium (they sell groceries, heh), Natural Grocers, Fresh, Sprouts, and 3 different mom-and-pop Asian groceries. And, of course, Walmart. No HEB or Kroger to be found.