Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Reactions
340 64 1
After the shenanigans in the Pitch a City thread, I had a yearning for BBQ. Turns out wile I wasn't looking, my favorite Q place had closed for good. :cry:

On the plus side, the big Kroger next door still had the good egg nog from the local dairy. :D

Reactions
218 29 0
After the shenanigans in the Pitch a City thread, I had a yearning for BBQ. Turns out wile I wasn't looking, my favorite Q place had closed for good. :cry:

On the plus side, the big Kroger next door still had the good egg nog from the local dairy. :D
I have to drive an hour and a half to get close to good BBQ. It breaks my heart honestly, so I feel you.

Reactions
204 78 0
I gotta find myself a good smokehouse, or buy a better smoker myself. There are two BBQ joints down here. One has terrible reviews and seems to want to focus on burgers, the other has terrible reviews and is only open from 10am to 4pm Tuesday through Thursday, and can't seem to make up their mind between being a BBQ joint or a teriyaki place, or maybe a vegetarian cafe. I can't even remember the last time I had decent Q. I think it may have been in 2013.

Reactions
90 17 0
Stupid sketchy cell coverage in rural areas.
I finally heard from the family for tomorrow's funeral - they've had no cell reception for the past 72 hours apparently.
Ug.
Well, at least my over organized ass is, well, over organized. I had the service all set up and ready to go, so I didn't really need to hear from them anyways, but I'm still irked.

Reactions
231 90 0
I was knocked out for my wisdom teeth as well. One of mine was pretty badly impacted and came out in little pieces. How do I know this, you ask?

Because I apparently asked for them right as the general anesthesia took effect and they gave them to me on my way out. Ew.

Reactions
307 55 1
My understanding was they shattered two of mine to get them out.

So I'm glad I was knocked out too.

That said, I hate needles in my mouth, so out of the several fillings I've had in my life I've only let them numb me twice, and one time it was either done improperly or otherwise ineffective anyway.

Haven't yet had a root canal, though, and I'm sure I'll take the numbing option for that.
My husband had a root canal without numbing done by a student dentist back when we were too poor to afford much. To this day he still describes it as the worst pain he has ever felt.

I gotta find myself a good smokehouse, or buy a better smoker myself. There are two BBQ joints down here. One has terrible reviews and seems to want to focus on burgers, the other has terrible reviews and is only open from 10am to 4pm Tuesday through Thursday, and can't seem to make up their mind between being a BBQ joint or a teriyaki place, or maybe a vegetarian cafe. I can't even remember the last time I had decent Q. I think it may have been in 2013.
Yeah, Oregon is pretty terrible for BBQ.

Reactions
204 78 0
Yeah, Oregon is pretty terrible for BBQ.
Yeah, we're not exactly steeped in BBQ history here. Not too many stories about the legendary BBQ pitmasters who go out in the wee early morning and light their smokers in the fog, head to the barn to milk the cows, and then go cut down an acre or two of timber.

Reactions
341 91 14
Drawback of moving: finding a trove of old bill receipts from each of the last 10 years that you hid away last time you moved...
I think that means you can throw them out. It's like the rule about if you go a year without wearing an item of clothing, it's done.

Reactions
554 100 4
I think the limit on being able to refile is 10yrs. Of course the IRS can come after you for any year ever, but you are only allowed to go back 10.

—Patrick

Reactions
240 69 4
Went to make supper this evening - and the microwave promptly blipped out on me.

Meanwhile, roads have iced up since it essentially rained this morning - and temps are dropping.

Reactions
236 53 1
OK anyone wanting to get into BBQing, go to smokedmeats.com. And find directions to build a Mini WSM. For $70 to $100 you can make a smoker that can do smaller cuts that come out great. Or just drop $150 $199 (damned inflation) to get the Weber WSM 14 inch.

Last edited:
Reactions
250 45 0
Okay, initial test results are back from my wife's biopsy. They say it's cancer. We're waiting on a call from MD Anderson in Houston to make an appointment with them. We're fairly sure that they'll want to do their own testing down there, and it has been known that the locals have been wrong on their diagnosis. That's why we're going to the best cancer hospital and not joking around with the locals on this.

Reactions
204 78 0
OK anyone wanting to get into BBQing, go to smokedmeats.com. And find directions to build a Mini WSM. For $70 to $100 you can make a smoker that can do smaller cuts that come out great. Or just drop $150 $199 (damned inflation) to get the Weber WSM 14 inch.
I have the book. Got it for Christmas, in fact.

Reactions
240 69 4
Yeah, especially since I have an e-mail sent on the 31st giving notice - and 60 days from that is February 28.

Lease ends April 30th. NFW they're getting rent beyond March 1.

Reactions
178 101 0
Babies. Man, they told me I needed my wisdom teeth out, and just flexed hard and popped them out of my jaw. I disinfected with some off-brand whiskey and turpentine. Which was also my breakfast.
Yowza![DOUBLEPOST=1515977634,1515977131][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I volunteer to help keep any and all Halforumites warm at night. Doomweasels are optional but a movie and popcorn must be provided.

Reactions
201 37 1
Doomweasels are optional
Hah! That's what she wants you to think, people. Visible Doomweasels may be optional. Doomweasels are not.[DOUBLEPOST=1516013053,1516012947][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I've been having some toothache lately, so I was being extra diligent in my flossing and cleaning, and yesterday half my tooth just broke off while flossing :( Owwie.
And my dentist doesn't have room until April. They advised me to go to another dentist cabinet they work with, but that's half an hour's drive away...And they only had an open spot at 9am tomorrow. Great, considering I had a mandatory meeting at 9am.

Reactions
201 37 1
Oh, plenty, and I've informed them I won't be there. It isn't so much a meeting as "welcoming and showing around the new guy starting in my team on his first day", so I kinda wanted to be there.

Reactions
143 1 3
Oh, plenty, and I've informed them I won't be there. It isn't so much a meeting as "welcoming and showing around the new guy starting in my team on his first day", so I kinda wanted to be there.
Fair enough, but "my tooth broke off" is usually a pretty good reason for missing something.

Reactions
341 91 14
My work has no water. That means no water, coffee, breakfast (oatmeal), or bathrooms.

This isn't pleasant

Edit: We've been told this won't be fixed today...

Last edited: