Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

The sooner I get all my online accounts moved off of my comcast email, the sooner I can close that account and get the money back in my pocket. But the list is YUGE. :cry:

fade

Staff member
I pulled my hamstring pretty badly at the dojo last night. I'm limping like an old man. Been running 5K every day. This better not set me back on that. Fortunately the hamstring isn't as important to running as it is to kicking.

A close friend of mine quit a job after 25 years. It was the only real job that he had as an adult. Then the company took his email away. And it turns out that he signed up for every social media account with his work address. Guess who told him back when he was getting into social media not to do that...

They also confiscated his cell phone. And he lost about $3,000 worth of music and his contact list.

He was able to recover the music after a few days at least.

Last night I decided to fry up some shallots with my fried rice. 3 tooth-brushings, 2 mouthwashes, 3 cups of coffee, and 2 meals later I can still taste them.

This is annoying.

Last night I decided to fry up some shallots with my fried rice. 3 tooth-brushings, 2 mouthwashes, 3 cups of coffee, and 2 meals later I can still taste them.
This is annoying.
That's because it's in your blood.
No, really. The flavor agent literally gets into your blood, and until it all gets metabolized out, you get to continue to taste it as it gallops through your circulatory system.

--Patrick

Starting to come down with something, and I'm really hoping that it's not this year's flu, because it sounds particularly nasty this year.
It is. I've had it for over two weeks now; I'm still coughing crap outta my lungs and have completely lost my voice. It sucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1516925534,1516925075][/DOUBLEPOST]I just found out my cat has squamous cell carcinoma in his cranium, mandibular lymph nodes, and likely his lungs. Fuck cancer.

It is. I've had it for over two weeks now; I'm still coughing crap outta my lungs and have completely lost my voice. It sucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1516925534,1516925075][/DOUBLEPOST]I just found out my cat has squamous cell carcinoma in his cranium, mandibular lymph nodes, and likely his lungs. Fuck cancer.
I can only hug each post once, so here's an extra one for your kitty.

Bought a cheap whetstone to try my hand at sharpening some kitchen knives. Ended up wearing a hole in my thumb because I was dragging it on the stone behind the knife.

On the plus side, sharp knives.
I have some not-so-cheap whetstones, but I got tired of the time it took to get all my kitchen knives sharp.

This is the bomb:
Amazon product

(if you have adblocker, that's a link to the Work Sharp knife sharpener for $50 on amazon)

I have some not-so-cheap whetstones, but I got tired of the time it took to get all my kitchen knives sharp.

This is the bomb:
Amazon product

(if you have adblocker, that's a link to the Work Sharp knife sharpener for $50 on amazon)
Oh thank god. I've been looking for a sharpener mention from someone I trust - all my kitchen knives are in such rough shape and I'm so out of practice with my sharpening skills.

fade

Staff member
Oh man, speaking of knives and whines, my wife gets on my case about wanting to buy $30 worth of microcontroller chips from China, but I found a receipt for $500 bucks the other day for freakin' knives. Knives. What the hell. "Oh it's different because that's for the family." Right, like animatronic talking pumpkins was just for me? Cough.

I want to find a decent belt-based sharpener, but not something that is so tiny, though I suppose I'll settle on the Work Sharp if I have to.
I suppose I could just mount my belt sander, hmm...

--Patrick

I want to find a decent belt-based sharpener, but not something that is so tiny, though I suppose I'll settle on the Work Sharp if I have to.
I suppose I could just mount my belt sander, hmm...

--Patrick
It looks like they have other models for larger sharpening jobs. Not sure about all of the colors... one of them is listed as "As the piture shown."

It looks like they have other models for larger sharpening jobs. Not sure about all of the colors... one of them is listed as "As the piture shown."
Oh, I want it mainly for kitchen knives, I just want more surface area than the skinny strips I usually see on the dedicated "kitchen" versions of these things.

--Patrick

FWIW, the skinny strip works fine..you draw the knife through at about 1" per second, a couple dozen times on each side, and then strop it on the ceramic bar.
I can do my entire kitchen in the time it used to take me to do one knife, and it gets the knives hella sharp.

You can get finer-grit belts than the default, and I have some, but I haven't bothered/needed to try them out yet.

Last edited:
The ultimate in first world problems:

I have almost $200 in Chapters gift cards from Christmas (from different family members). But because I want to get the most out of it, I'm waiting for a good deal on either comics or books in general. Sometimes, they have a "Buy 3, Get 1 Free" deal on all paperbacks. They had a "Buy 1 Graphic Novel, Get 2nd one 50% off" awhile back. But nothing like that yet. The closest they've had is 50% off SELECT graphic novels, but I already owned many of the ones offered.

I hate being patient. At this rate, I'll still be sitting on this credit by my birthday, where I'll probably get even more gift cards.

Sigh. The guy who was supposed to work tomorrow and day after called in sick just now. 7 PM on a Friday, lovely. And all of the others on my team refuse to come replace him. Just lovely. They're all a bunch if dipshits. I understand their problems, I understand they're unhappy, I'm trying my best but I can't make a shift schedule that pleases everyone - it's impossible with all the little benefits people have and get. The "good guys" don't think I did a good enough job with the planning in February, so they're all unwilling to help...

WELL FUCK YOU YOU BUNCH OF LITTLE RATS. I'LL GO AND SIT THERE MYSELF IF I HAVE TO. BUT DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO GET ANYTHING ELSE DONE FROM ME IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

I understand there are issues, we're working on them, but bringing down the company doesn't actually help strengthen your point. You're only hurting me, not my bosses.

figmentPez

Staff member
FWIW my brother swears by using cheap japanese/water whetstones. Good friend of mine swears by the Lanksy sharpening system. I've been flip-flopping between the two on what to throw at my "sort of household but also luxury/not-necessity" budget.
I have that Lansky, and it's a pain the ass to use on a chef's knife. I think it's only really designed for pocket knifes and other smaller blades.

Sigh. The guy who was supposed to work tomorrow and day after called in sick just now. 7 PM on a Friday, lovely. And all of the others on my team refuse to come replace him. Just lovely. They're all a bunch if dipshits. I understand their problems, I understand they're unhappy, I'm trying my best but I can't make a shift schedule that pleases everyone - it's impossible with all the little benefits people have and get. The "good guys" don't think I did a good enough job with the planning in February, so they're all unwilling to help...

WELL FUCK YOU YOU BUNCH OF LITTLE RATS. I'LL GO AND SIT THERE MYSELF IF I HAVE TO. BUT DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO GET ANYTHING ELSE DONE FROM ME IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

I understand there are issues, we're working on them, but bringing down the company doesn't actually help strengthen your point. You're only hurting me, not my bosses.
So here I am, I've now been here 5 hours....Work's perfectly fine, if a bit boring. Too bad I have a horrible case of diarrhea, including an unpleasant "it's just a fart...Whoops, no", and well over a dozen bathroom visits over the past few hours.
If this was a regular work day, I'd be excusing myself and going home because I'm, frankly, sick. I know there's literally nobody to replace me, though, so....Huzzah. I won't be surprised if the people who work this night and tomorrow all find themselves with a stomach flu in a few days. -_-

figmentPez

Staff member
I have that Lansky, and it's a pain the ass to use on a chef's knife. I think it's only really designed for pocket knifes and other smaller blades.
Let me expound on what I mean, in case anyone is wondering. First, the instructions say to only sharpen a 2" section of the blade at once. This alone means you're going to spend a lot more time sharpening an 8"+ chef's knife. (By the time I had mine nearly shaving sharp, my hands were cramped and hurting.) Second, the clamping system doesn't do a good job of holding the weight of a large knife, so I ended up having to hold both the knife and the guide. It's awkward, difficult, and further slows down the process.

Sharpening a pocket knife was much easier and faster than working with my chef's knife, but I don't think it would be any quicker than using a whetstone. Having never used a whetstone, I don't know how hard it is to get the right angle, but the Lansky does take nearly zero skill in order to get a consistent angle. That's really the only benefit I can see to the system.

That was my assessment as well. It takes practice to get the right angle on the whetstone, and that was the only advantage I saw on the Lansky system.

The belt sharpener that I now have has a guide that makes it difficult (but not impossible) to get an incorrect angle. It's practically as easy to use as those shitty sharpeners you can get in the baking section of every grocery store. I'm talking about these pieces of shit: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41AF4VBbLBL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It comes with 400 grit belts. I have down to 1000 grit belts, but I haven't felt the need to use them. With the 400 grit, my knives once again slice through soft and gushy tomatoes with ease without smashing them.

The only downside on this cheaper model is that it won't do serrated knives. Their more expensive model supposedly can.

Their more expensive model supposedly can.
I wouldn't trust their more expensive model to keep the serrations long term. Yes, the belt flexes a bit, but it'll still put far too much pressure on the high spots, and not enough on the low spots.

There are only a few food items that really need serrations, and as long as you don't use the knife for anything else it's worth replacing or having professionally sharpened when it becomes dull every few years. A badly sharpened serrated knife isn't much better than a straight blade for those situations calling for serration.

A badly sharpened serrated knife isn't much better than a straight blade for those situations calling for serration.
The “secret” to most serrated knives (especially those with the very small serrations) is that most people don’t actually have any real knife skills, and so they crush the edge into their marble countertop, or pack three dozen knives into their dishwasher where they get smashed against one another like being in a rock tumbler, and those serrations ensure that there is still some portion of sharp edge left unbent to actually cut your food.

If you watch any of those “watch me sharpen a cheap knife” videos, one of the first things they often do is to just completely grind off the serrated part before they sharpen it to a proper edge. The times you really want serrations are when you need to tear through some sort of tough outer layer without crushing a soft interior, like slicing crusty bread.

—Patrick

I now have a discounted copy from another branch of the same store!

I made awesome nachos and my kids yapped through the entire damn tutorial so far. There are only so many ways to kindly tell my kids to quiet down and/or get their butts and heads out of the way.

I have a bag of pixie Stix and some Diet Coke for later on when I’m ready to try again.