Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

He's really excited about the cool Pokemon we found on that cartridge and he's been screaming in my face all day. I think he has forgotten about my migraines and the fact that due to a series of unfortunate circumstances, my arthritis will be going untreated for a month. I can't handle the face=screaming today.

I have a cold and it's making me achey. I have cramps, too. So that's fun. But why stop there?

My oldest kid got hit in the head in PE last Wednesday and has a concussion (ER trip Thursday morning). It's bad enough that he's still complaining of a headache and being dizzy. The pediatrician has him on a graduated return to school (from follow up appt today). So he's staying home again tomorrow since walking around makes him feel worse. Swell.

*crying* I don't know how to do my management jooooooooooob!!!

This week is performance review week. I have an editor in my department who's gained a reputation for being a problematic colleague, because she absolutely insists on delivering the best possible quality in her translations, which means she often has trouble keeping to the deadlines set by our clients and the PMs. She also tends to raise a lot of issues during the course of her work, which increases the PMs' workloads because they need to find solutions to the issues. The PM in charge of our performance review has revealed to me that she's going to have words with this editor during the review meeting about this stuff. The editor is worried that she won't get a fair review. I'll be sitting in on the meeting, and I have no idea what I should do or say. On the one hand, I absolutely appreciate her insistence on quality, because bad translations lead to angry clients. On the other hand, not keeping to deadlines also leads to angry clients.

I feel like as the head of the C2E editing department I should be able to find a middle ground here, but I just can't see it. It may be that this editor just isn't cut out to work here. But I don't want to lose her either, because it's rare to find a translator or editor who's so conscientious about quality.

Also, before you ask, no she's not hot, so that's not a factor.

While good advice, and I'm pretty sure you're not 100% serious, I didn't even get to the purse part when my back tweaked.
Don't underestimate the power of the dark side, er, mass of the upper body. It's important to lift with the legs going down and up, even when you aren't carrying anything. If you find it easier to bend at the waist than to squat, you may want to focus some exercise effort on leg strength. No matter what you do your back only weakens as you age, and like your heart anything you can do to reduce back loading is only going to benefit quality of life down the road.

And if you're like me and are plagued with stupid huge boobs, your back doesn't stand a chance :(
I don't know which response would be funnier. Should I say I am very much like you with these manboobs? or should I bemoan the fact it's been a long, long, oh so long time since I've been "plagued" by boobs of any size?

fade

Staff member
I don't like job searching as it is, but these oil company job applications are odd. You can't really plead your case or talk yourself up. Most of the time they're just forms you fill out like McDonald's. No cover letter, no additional materials. Just boxes to tick.

I don't like job searching as it is, but these oil company job applications are odd. You can't really plead your case or talk yourself up. Most of the time they're just forms you fill out like McDonald's. No cover letter, no additional materials. Just boxes to tick.
Nothing says "you're just another replaceable cog in the machine" quite like this.

Lots of bigger companies do this even for high level positions. Partly because there are too many applicants to search through, partly to avoid lawsuits.

You may need to contact the hiring manager directly, which can be hard without internal information. I've had to do a lot of digging in the past to get in contact with the people I'd actually be working with.

I know this is shitty and hypocritical given how I act about shows I like, but I can't wait for game of thrones to be done so not everyone will be talking about it.

I want the damn books to get finished so I can read them while I'm still alive! I have immune system issues and I'm super accident prone.

I started the first one in my second year of university. That was in 199-something. The wait could be killing me.

fade

Staff member
Well fingers crossed. Water got into the house during last year's floods. Hopefully we'll make it through Harvey relatively unscathed.

I just got a cavity filled (it all went fine, nice and quick, good freezing), but now half my mouth is frozen and it feels funny. *wah*

I want the damn books to get finished so I can read them while I'm still alive! I have immune system issues and I'm super accident prone.

I started the first one in my second year of university. That was in 199-something. The wait could be killing me.
I'm currently working on the first book, and I'm at the point where I have to resist the urge to throw it across the room after every chapter. In a good way.

"Goddammit, why did he have to die? We already lost a cool guy a chapter ago!"

I mean, I knew GRRM had a thing for killing off characters, but actually experiencing it is a whole different thing, altogether.

I'm currently working on the first book, and I'm at the point where I have to resist the urge to throw it across the room after every chapter. In a good way.

"Goddammit, why did he have to die? We already lost a cool guy a chapter ago!"

I mean, I knew GRRM had a thing for killing off characters, but actually experiencing it is a whole different thing, altogether.
I read the first book quickly, enjoyed it. But real early into the second book I grew disinterested in the many plotlines, and just kept skipping ahead to the Tyrion chapters. And then I quit the series a couple sentences into the 3rd book.

I hope you enjoy the series more than I did.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hate getting caught in discussions between my father and grandfather. Despite being 90% in agreement on all things, they are both going deaf and feel it is more important to make their own particular points heard rather than hearing each other anyway. And my father forgets what things he's already said which causes him to repeat himself often, and because my grandfather had a stroke a few years ago, every statement is prolonged by 75-125% by "eeuuuurrrrhhhh" noises as he tries to find paths for the words around the damaged portions of his brain. It is both saddening and irritating.