Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I wonder what changed? Since $0.35, that is.
But then, I drive 25-30k mi/yr, not 15.

--Patrick
Right, they're averaging out based on the average miles driven per car across all the cars in their study, so there'll be significant differences based on actual usage. You could certainly take your own numbers and using their methods come up with your own amount. Assuming you are frugal (and I believe you are) you could halve their costs, and the $0.35 value you're thinking may have been from calculations you carried out some time ago.

I can't find an archive that goes back far enough, but I'm guessing it's been decades since it was $0.35. Perhaps around the time you started driving?

The interesting thing is that Uber pays less than 2x the TCO of a car per mile, so the real value of uber is that the platform transfers a lot of cost onto the driver, and you have to drive a lot for uber/lyft before you make any real money. Looks like the average full time uber driver is making around $30k/year after all their costs.[DOUBLEPOST=1501689923,1501689568][/DOUBLEPOST]Here we go. 1990 was the last time it was under $0.37/mile:

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/...ansportation_statistics/html/table_03_17.html

I can't find an archive that goes back far enough, but I'm guessing it's been decades since it was $0.35. Perhaps around the time you started driving?
Early 90's, I think? I believe I got my TCO figure less than a decade later, perhaps late 90's at most. At that time, gas prices were hovering around 1.10-1.15/gal.

Ah, looks like your hasty research is reasonably in line with my figures. I do know that I discounted it slightly since my driving habits invariably add 2-5mpg to whatever vehicle I drive.

--Patrick

It's not just the distance. She lives in the middle of Jersey City / Hoboken. The streets I'd have to take to get to her apartment are under construction, which means detours through a warren of crowded streets that I don't know well. There's no available parking. Drivers are super aggressive. I drive a 1991 Camry wagon with a leaky radiator and no air conditioning. It's August. Then she's gonna want to go to some trendy fucking place on the waterfront or something where everything's so expensive that a lunch for 2 will probably be more than $60.

So last night I was up until 6am taking care of my dad after his surgery, including repeatedly emptying his catheter. Over the course of the night the fluid went from looking like cranberry juice to apple juice or peach iced tea. So that's good. But now my head is pounding, I'm cranky as shit. and I can't seem to hold a thought for more than 5 minutes.

Got stung in the back of my hands by wasps this morning at work. Was mowing a large group of weeds near our solar panels and didn't see a small nest hiding behind a larger weed in front of it. Luckily I was able to get some sting medication on them quickly, so my hands are mostly fine now.

Our new car keeps track of our current gas mileage and displays how many litres of gas we're using to drive 100km.
Many cars used to display your MPG/KPl in real-time, but many automakers stopped including this feature when people would complain that the numbers bounce all over the place and/or couples would argue over how much gas was being used while they were driving.

--Patrick

Well of course it moves around, it's an average :)

I can't believe what people complain about. I shouldn't be shocked but I am and I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms overhearing some brutal things.

The 2009 ford large vehicle electronics provide a long term average MPG that doesn't bounce around. You can reset it and it'll bounce for a few dozen miles but then change little only as your driving habits change.

It's the same in the '07 and '08 Fusion models, though I'm always a little suspect about the mileage since the MPG average may not bounce around, but the total miles before empty frequently goes up when you leave a congested area.

It's the same in the '07 and '08 Fusion models, though I'm always a little suspect about the mileage since the MPG average may not bounce around, but the total miles before empty frequently goes up when you leave a congested area.
Mileage left is calculated more dynamically, particularly when the tank is not nearly empty, and so the average MPG used for the mileage remaining uses a much shorter average timeframe.

Well, I fell for it again.
You see, Life and I have this ongoing joke between us. Life will every once in a while tease me with something good happening. But the punchline will either be: A) The good thing is negated by something equally bad or worse, or B) The good thing is only temporary and heartbreakingly taken away.
Case in point, the latest joke. This new full-time job I got? It was to replace someone who had had a brain bleed incident and was laid up for months, and they weren't sure he would be able to come back. Well guess what: he is coming back. This Monday, in fact. And the front office told my friend, who is my supervisor, that depending on how he does I will probably be either reduced to part-time or let go all together.
Oh Life, you got me good this time! This joke will NEVER get old! :(

Back in the 70's, the AMC Matador that my grandfather had (the one with the rounded rear end and bug-eye lights) had an economy meter that was just a needle that only had one reading: "GOOD".

I went in for my regular pain procedure yesterday. I had been scheduled six months ago when I was at my last one and I had even confirmed it over the phone two weeks ago. They called me a few days ago and moved it up an hour early. Bleh. It had already been plenty early.

They arrange for me to be there an hour early so I can be prepped before the doctor comes to get me. His intern started coming down early for me saying that the doctor wanted to speak with me before we began. I was concerned. This doctor gives excellent nerve blocks/joint injections but his bedside manner isn't great and I don't go to the pain clinic anymore. I just meet him at the hospital every six months. The pain clinic itself is awful and other than seeing this doctor at the hospital twice a year, I won't return.

The intern came down a few times and eventually asked the nurse who was taking down my details to let me go already. When I got in to the room, the Doctor asked me to sit down and talk to him. I was scared. We never speak like that and I was scared that he was going to cancel my procedure on me. It turns out that he remembered my comment last time that my other SI, the "good" one, had been acting up and he wanted to know how it had been and when I told him, he switched me to a double procedure at the last minute. I was pleasantly surprised. I've never had a double procedure. They froze the area, but no amount of that can prevent the injection from hurting like a $&%#* when they get that gigantic needle in each joint several times.

It's always super painful when the freezing wears off and for a while it hurts worse than when I went in but then I get a lot of relief after. But right now I'm in the freezing wearing off stage. Times two. :(

Yaaaaaaaayy....

I used to work midnights and live in an apartment that sprayed their basement one day, and I lived on the first floor.
I woke up to ants crawling up the foot end of my bed and stinging my feet. They completely covered the bathroom floor and well into the hallway. I lost an entire tub of pine nuts I had been eating that was on the floor next to the bed, open.

They were terminated with extreme prejudice once I discovered just how fantastically well the cat flea spray worked on them. Pyrethrins, baby!

--Patrick