Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I tend to roll my eyes rather heavily whenever people around here complain about the "rampant drug problem" which is mostly just a bunch of Microsoft and Boeing engineers who are pissed that they "can't get the good sudafed anymore."
Well, you can get the good sudafed if you sign the tattlebook, but nothing will bring back Nyquil/Dayquil's old formula from the 90s :( That was the best ever, and now it's complete and utter placebo.

Well, you can get the good sudafed if you sign the tattlebook, but nothing will bring back Nyquil/Dayquil's old formula from the 90s :( That was the best ever, and now it's complete and utter placebo.
Nyquil back in the day was the shit.

When I was 19 and living in my own apartment, I got sick but I had to be at work the next day. So I bought some Nyquil and took a dose before bed. Then I thought "I'll just make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich first..."

I woke up the next morning, on the kitchen floor, hugging the peanut-butter side of a half of a sandwich to my face.

Brother: There's a showing at 7:15, wanna see it?

Me: Fuck yeah I do!

AFTER I GET TO THE CITY

Brother: Oh shit, I didn't mean today!

Me:...uuuuuuuuuuuuugh I could've been cleaning.

ABC.

A-always
B-be
C-cleaning.

Always be cleaning. ALWAYS... BE CLEANING.
That's why I quit the job prior to this last one. They'd rather we wipe down the same 6-foot stretch of counter for 8 hours each shift instead of doing anything to actually engage our brains.

1 scrubbed/mopped 50'x60' doomweasel pen + 1 scrubbed/sanitized/bedding changed 6'x6'x3' doomweasel cage + 1 scrubbed/sanitized/refilled rice box + 3 scrubbed/sanitized/litter changed litter pans + 3 loads of weasel laundry = 1 tired Queen of the Doomweasels.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go collapse in a pile over there.

Soooooo booooooored. Since my boss' colleague and co-worker are both on vacation, there's only him and the CEO remaining. But the CEO only works at our place part time, and we know when he'll be around. Every day when he won't be, my boss suddenly has "meetings" or "works from home" and, at best, shows up for an hour or two.
Now, this is the jerk-ass boss I've ranted about before, so I'm not exactly sad to see him far away and not intruding upon my job. Leave me in peace and I'm happy.
However, there's quite a few things I'm not allowed to do without his consent or approval. I have a laundry list of stuff to do. I've called him, and at noon hisq reply was "I'll get back to you when I'm in front of my computer". At 3PM, I called him again, and his replay was "sure, sure, but I'll get back to you when I'm near my computer".
I't's now 4:20PM and except for a couple of small basics, I've done nothing all day. And I do still have work to do. FFS, boss, I don't mind if your "work from home" days are, apparently, spent away from your laptop. If you want to spend a "working day" at the mall, and palying with your cats, and sitting out on the terrace of a bar (I am capable of recognizing background noises, you know), fine. But at least allow me to properly do my job!

I got here at 9AM (...ish. Ok, I caught a Pokémon at 9AM, I got here around 9:30. Fine). I'm paid for 7h30 a day - and always do more - but I'm leaving around 6:30PM at the latest.

Soooooo booooooored. Since my boss' colleague and co-worker are both on vacation, there's only him and the CEO remaining. But the CEO only works at our place part time, and we know when he'll be around. Every day when he won't be, my boss suddenly has "meetings" or "works from home" and, at best, shows up for an hour or two.
Now, this is the jerk-ass boss I've ranted about before, so I'm not exactly sad to see him far away and not intruding upon my job. Leave me in peace and I'm happy.
However, there's quite a few things I'm not allowed to do without his consent or approval. I have a laundry list of stuff to do. I've called him, and at noon hisq reply was "I'll get back to you when I'm in front of my computer". At 3PM, I called him again, and his replay was "sure, sure, but I'll get back to you when I'm near my computer".
I't's now 4:20PM and except for a couple of small basics, I've done nothing all day. And I do still have work to do. FFS, boss, I don't mind if your "work from home" days are, apparently, spent away from your laptop. If you want to spend a "working day" at the mall, and palying with your cats, and sitting out on the terrace of a bar (I am capable of recognizing background noises, you know), fine. But at least allow me to properly do my job!

I got here at 9AM (...ish. Ok, I caught a Pokémon at 9AM, I got here around 9:30. Fine). I'm paid for 7h30 a day - and always do more - but I'm leaving around 6:30PM at the latest.
I'd start logging those calls and the replies he gives you. If you're not getting those things that require approval done, it'll be on him and not you. And you'll have documentation in case he tries to pull a his word against yours.

Oh, I do.

It may not be enough to get him fired or anything, but at least I'll have something to point out hypocrisy and all that. I don't intend to rat him out, sepcifically, but I did have great joy in telling the CEO my boss left 2 minutes after him when he came back because he forgot his briefcase last week. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Underling #1 is taking a week off next week. The whole week. :(

BLEAH so much extra work for me, and that's only two weeks before my OWN week off, meaning I'll have one tiny week to get caught up and then ahead in time to leave.

ARGLBARGL

Underling #1 is taking a week off next week. The whole week. :(

BLEAH so much extra work for me, and that's only two weeks before my OWN week off, meaning I'll have one tiny week to get caught up and then ahead in time to leave.

ARGLBARGL
Just a reminder I've got an ex-Congressman on my list of references. Really. :D

Of course, in the really highly not-gonna-happen unlikely never in a million years chance that GB actually hired me (from 1500ish miles away), that "settling" would turn into a full-blown cave-in just as I pulled into the parking lot on my first day.

(Or to really twist the knife, on my first day flying solo.)

GasBandit

Staff member
Just a reminder I've got an ex-Congressman on my list of references. Really. :D

Of course, in the really highly not-gonna-happen unlikely never in a million years chance that GB actually hired me (from 1500ish miles away), that "settling" would turn into a full-blown cave-in just as I pulled into the parking lot on my first day.

(Or to really twist the knife, on my first day flying solo.)
The problem is, Underling #1 may be full time, but Underling #2 is only part time, and he's the one that might not work out. And I had a hard enough time convincing ownership even that I needed #2 at all. I'd bet dollars to donuts he's paid minimum wage. He can get by on that because he's a college kid, but even if I could immediately kick him out and give you his slot, I think it wouldn't meet your compensation needs :/

That's the real problem with this place. You get what you pay for, and they don't wanna pay for anything.

FUCK THIS

So, my younger sister lives in Kansas City, MO. This week there's been an FBI raid at her apartment complex AND a flash flood that destroyed her car in the parking lot. Pretty much a total loss.

My dad had a small surgery on his prostate today, and we found out that the cancer is more advanced than we'd been informed. It hasn't spread, but they grade prostate cancer grades 6-10, and his is a grade 9. So he'll need more hormone and radiation treatments than we thought.

Mom's diabetes medication is damaging her already compromised kidneys.

I'm on antibiotics for diverticulitis. I should be on bed rest and what not but I've got to work and take care of my folks.

Now my older sister is like "Oh do you want to drive in to Hoboken so we can meet up for lunch for your birthday?" and when I explain to her what I'm trying to handle already she acts like I'm making excuses to not hang out with her. Look, Kelly, you're a 45 year old woman who still tries to do the DJ and club scene, works and hands out at way fancier restaurants than I ever would choose to go to, who chases 24 year old bus boys and homosexuals because they're low maintenance relationships, and when I start telling you about things I like, I literally see your eyes glaze over, so pardon the fuck out of me if I don't jump at the change to drive nearly 2 hours to spend time with you when I'm sick, exhausted, and flat fucking broke!

I turn 39 this week.

Who gives a fuck. Sure as fuck isn't me.

Last edited:
This just makes me think about how my aunts are "Too busy" on the weekends (hanging out with their friends getting drunk like they are fucking college kids) to take care of my grandmother, so always expect my dad and mom to be the ones to take care of her at the drop of a hat.

This just makes me think about how my aunts are "Too busy" on the weekends (hanging out with their friends getting drunk like they are fucking college kids) to take care of my grandmother, so always expect my dad and mom to be the ones to take care of her at the drop of a hat.
When my grandparents were sick, one of my aunts lived up the road and came around once and a while to issue commands but it was my parents and my other aunt who did most of the helping out. Guess who tried to take the credit though?[DOUBLEPOST=1501640836,1501640697][/DOUBLEPOST]
FUCK THIS

So, my younger sister lives in Kansas City, MO. This week there's been an FBI raid at her apartment complex AND a flash flood that destroyed her car in the parking lot. Pretty much a total loss.

My dad had a small surgery on his prostate today, and we found out that the cancer is more advanced than we'd been informed. It hasn't spread, but they grade prostate cancer grades 6-10, and his is a grade 9. So he'll need more hormone and radiation treatments than we thought.

Mom's diabetes medication is damaging her already compromised kidneys.

I'm on antibiotics for diverticulitis. I should be on bed rest and what not but I've got to work and take care of my folks.

Now my older sister is like "Oh do you want to drive in to Hoboken so we can meet up for lunch for your birthday?" and when I explain to her what I'm trying to handle already she acts like I'm making excuses to not hang out with her. Look, Kelly, you're a 45 year old woman who still tries to do the DJ and club scene, works and hands out at way fancier restaurants than I ever would choose to go to, who chases 24 year old bus boys and homosexuals because they're low maintenance relationships, and when I start telling you about things I like, I literally see your eyes glaze over, so pardon the fuck out of me if I don't jump at the change to drive nearly 2 hours to spend time with you when I'm sick, exhausted, and flat fucking broke!

I turn 39 this week.

Who gives a fuck. Sure as fuck isn't me.
I admire your patience. I would have exploded years ago. Seriously though, given everything you're dealing with and the fact that it's your birthday, she should be coming to see you. She shouldn't have to be told this.

Happy almost Birthday by the way.

She doesn't have a car.
It annoys me when people assume that because I have a car and they don't it puts the onus on me to travel to them. Once you add up the original cost of the car, the regular maintenance cost, the repair cost, the fuel, and insurance, registration, etc you're paying $0.50 to $1 per mile. If she's 2 hours away not only does she want you to spend 5 hours of your time, but also $120-$240 in costs for travel, all so she can give you a $30 meal as a gift for your birthday. And that's assuming it's a cheap used car.

Cars aren't free, and while some of those costs occur whether you drive the car or not, they are still the cost of owning a car, and it's extraordinarily rude for anyone to assume that your transportation is in any way "free" and thus the burden for travel should be on you. The incremental cost (ie, after taxes, registration, cost of vehicle) are still around $0.25/mile depending on the cost of gas and your vehicle's efficiency, which still requires a $60 outlay so she can celebrate your birthday.

/rant

It annoys me when people assume that because I have a car and they don't it puts the onus on me to travel to them. Once you add up the original cost of the car, the regular maintenance cost, the repair cost, the fuel, and insurance, registration, etc you're paying $0.50 to $1 per mile. If she's 2 hours away not only does she want you to spend 5 hours of your time, but also $120-$240 in costs for travel, all so she can give you a $30 meal as a gift for your birthday. And that's assuming it's a cheap used car.

Cars aren't free, and while some of those costs occur whether you drive the car or not, they are still the cost of owning a car, and it's extraordinarily rude for anyone to assume that your transportation is in any way "free" and thus the burden for travel should be on you. The incremental cost (ie, after taxes, registration, cost of vehicle) are still around $0.25/mile depending on the cost of gas and your vehicle's efficiency, which still requires a $60 outlay so she can celebrate your birthday.

/rant

I've had a similar discussion with my girlfriend a couple of times. Her family lives a good hour-and-a-half drive away. I actually genuinely like my family-in-law, but I still don't think it's worthwhile to drive to and fro for every single birthday party or dinner or what-have-you. Driving €50 for a €10 meal and to give a €20 gift is rather silly. "Oh but wegive other people more" - yes, but we spend less. Go half as often, give twice as big gifts, and you still come out ahead.

Yes, though I'd temper that rant with the fact that, for me, time spent with family is priceless. That doesn't mean, however, that I'm not going to weigh the cost against what I can actually handle to make sure I'm not putting myself in a bad position to visit family.

Yes, though I'd temper that rant with the fact that, for me, time spent with family is priceless. That doesn't mean, however, that I'm not going to weigh the cost against what I can actually handle to make sure I'm not putting myself in a bad position to visit family.
Oh, sure, I love spending time with them. A few weeks ago we drove there and back so I could go see and hold the newborn baby niece. I was slightly peeved she went two days earlier without me ;) but I wanted to see the little one before she was, you know, going off to college :p

Making the round trip twice in one weekend and such because of bad planning is what drives me up the wall, mostly.

It annoys me when people assume that because I have a car and they don't it puts the onus on me to travel to them. Once you add up the original cost of the car, the regular maintenance cost, the repair cost, the fuel, and insurance, registration, etc you're paying $0.50 to $1 per mile.
I believe the AAA estimate is right about $0.35/mi TCO. I generally just round that to $1/3mi.

--Patrick